The Hooncorp Thread

• Thread starter Nismonath5
  • 237 comments
Well, I've done that thing again, where a day's become a week, become a few weeks... Had so much on!

At the recent May race, we teamed up with Wheelie Racing to compete. Cable Tie raced with the team in the Celica, while Noel and myself raced in the Maxima.

359820205_1230797827816683_5081232417517813583_n.jpg
359675655_823800736025322_3862868209536284427_n.jpg

Unfortunately, the team in the Celica broke down not long into the second day, so we retrieved the Pulsar from the Hooncorp stable to continue the race. While that was being collected, the Thuderbirds Lemons Racing Team offered me their spare car to keep logging some laps while we waited. So we put our transponder in the car and away we went.

...Until about 20 minutes later, when I hit some fluid on the track, spun almost a complete 360 and went off into the wall hard.

346142391_559521389423980_1379213709165308713_n.jpg

346149762_249088637673312_6332556878555221355_n.jpg

So anyway, my first real crash! Yay...?

Suffice to say, I got a bit knocked around in that one, and sat out the rest of the day. The Pulsar arrived a bit later and carried on the team's effort.

The final day, the Maxima also broke, so, having been in a better position than the Celica team, they inherited the Pulsar and carried on until the checkered flag. We took 8th overall in that one, which was phenomenal for the guys, but there was still the issue of the Thunderbirds' bent car needing work.

Well, The Body Shop in Otahuhu were able to straighten it out, and once it was good as new we invited them around for some fish and chips, plus a few brews before returning the keys!

These guys are absolute good buggers, not fussed about being the fastest or winning, just wanting to have fun and help out others along the way! Check them out on Facebook and show them some love!

Well, I've done that thing again, where a day's become a week, become a few weeks... Had so much on!

At the recent May race, we teamed up with Wheelie Racing to compete. Cable Tie raced with the team in the Celica, while Noel and myself raced in the Maxima.

View attachment 1271837View attachment 1271836

Unfortunately, the team in the Celica broke down not long into the second day, so we retrieved the Pulsar from the Hooncorp stable to continue the race. While that was being collected, the Thuderbirds Lemons Racing Team offered me their spare car to keep logging some laps while we waited. So we put our transponder in the car and away we went.

...Until about 20 minutes later, when I hit some fluid on the track, spun almost a complete 360 and went off into the wall hard.

View attachment 1271838
View attachment 1271835

So anyway, my first real crash! Yay...?

Suffice to say, I got a bit knocked around in that one, and sat out the rest of the day. The Pulsar arrived a bit later and carried on the team's effort.

The final day, the Maxima also broke, so, having been in a better position than the Celica team, they inherited the Pulsar and carried on until the checkered flag. We took 8th overall in that one, which was phenomenal for the guys, but there was still the issue of the Thunderbirds' bent car needing work.

Well, The Body Shop in Otahuhu were able to straighten it out, and once it was good as new we invited them around for some fish and chips, plus a few brews before returning the keys!

These guys are absolute good buggers, not fussed about being the fastest or winning, just wanting to have fun and help out others along the way! Check them out on Facebook and show them some love!

Congrats on breaking your cherry 🍒 👏

No one hurt seriously & it's only the wallet feeling the pinch.

Congrats on breaking your cherry 🍒 👏

No one hurt seriously & it's only the wallet feeling the pinch.
Haha, absolutely!

Still not as bad as what happened to their other car, Thunderbird 2. This is the result of spinning out and being stuck side on to traffic while trying to get it fired up again!

359798836_606712978269801_5653058039738493310_n.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, absolutely!

Still not as bad as what happened to their other car, Thunderbird 2. This is the result of spinning out and being stuck side on to traffic while trying to get it fired up againView attachment 1271843
Accidents happen, as we all know, but I wouldn't be surprised if something like this ended up before the Stewards.
Hopefully, just minor cosmetics like yours.

Do you have Flag Marshalling at these events?
I know it wouldn't be to National standard, but to have at least one competent Flaggie at the crucial points ready with a yellow if it's needed.

Accidents happen, as we all know, but I wouldn't be surprised if something like this ended up before the Stewards.
Hopefully, just minor cosmetics like yours.

Do you have Flag Marshalling at these events?
I know it wouldn't be to National standard, but to have at least one competent Flaggie at the crucial points ready with a yellow if it's needed.
It's not all that bad, and the team has a wealth of spares plus a good group of guys all banding together to smack it back into shape.

Re the marshals, NAZCAR events do have flaggies at every post, plus three recovery crews set up around the track and a range of extra personnel and officials.

I've been up in race control for periods of time at various events, and they're very onto it with spotting an incident and directing lights, flags and officials accordingly. Sometimes there will be a car that's spun or gone off, they're still going and the yellows are already out for that corner.

The races are definitely just for fun, but the organization and efficiency of race control and the marshals is as good as any other professional race event out there today.

It's not all that bad, and the team has a wealth of spares plus a good group of guys all banding together to smack it back into shape.

Re the marshals, NAZCAR events do have flaggies at every post, plus three recovery crews set up around the track and a range of extra personnel and officials.

I've been up in race control for periods of time at various events, and they're very onto it with spotting an incident and directing lights, flags and officials accordingly. Sometimes there will be a car that's spun or gone off, they're still going and the yellows are already out for that corner.

The races are definitely just for fun, but the organization and efficiency of race control and the marshals is as good as any other professional race event out there today.
Mate, I love the relaxed, fun nature of it all & I have no doubt that when it's time to get serious, then that's exactly what happens.

That's why I asked about the Flaggies.

Having done the job before at meetings at all grades, I know Stewards come down tough when safety is compromised in any way.

Everyone's cool until someone blows through a yellow sector, putting others in danger.

Mate, I love the relaxed, fun nature of it all & I have no doubt that when it's time to get serious, then that's exactly what happens.

That's why I asked about the Flaggies.

Having done the job before at meetings at all grades, I know Stewards come down tough when safety is compromised in any way.

Everyone's cool until someone blows through a yellow sector, putting others in danger.
Yeah 100%

I actually wouldn't mind becoming involved in race control / race direction roles, either full time once I'd had my fill of racing or even just for events I'm not competing in. It's a new side to motorsport management, obviously we're used to managing a team, and a car, and all the associated aspects, but managing a race itself with all the flags and officials, that would be fun too I reckon!

Yeah 100%

I actually wouldn't mind becoming involved in race control / race direction roles, either full time once I'd had my fill of racing or even just for events I'm not competing in. It's a new side to motorsport management, obviously we're used to managing a team, and a car, and all the associated aspects, but managing a race itself with all the flags and officials, that would be fun too I reckon!
I totally support the idea.

If you do flagging at some of the smaller meetings and do OK, you'd certainly get an invite to the bigger, more well-attended meetings & let me tell you, you will not get a closer view of the action other than being in the race itself. And it's free & usually comes with a free lunch.

Not only that, it gives you a complete understanding of not only the flags, but also the communication between race control, the sector marshalls, and each individual point.

Have a word with the Chief Flaggie at your next meet.

Another avenue of experience, is the Fire crews.
This obviously takes a lot more training, but there's nothing like a Flaggie that also knows how to back up, or tend to a fire until the main guys get there.
It can mean the difference between repair or wreck.

Certainly being in Race Control purely observing how it all comes together, is an eye opener.
There's no substitute for experience.

The Waiuku Forest Rally season is back on!!

We love going along and supporting this event, and this time we were joined by our good mate Spencer Bourne!

Spencer is so much like his Dad to look at. You can really see it in his eyes.

I was a big fan of Possum's & met him twice when doing the local round of the ARC.
Great bloke, awesome sense of humour.

Taken way, way too soon 🙁

Hooncorp's been busy lately!!

For starters, we hired the Meremere Drag Strip and ran a "run what ya brung" day. A bit of weather slightly dampened things, but didn't stop us from getting some decent action in!

Here's a few videos of runs in various cars with some of my bros.

The other big thing we launched at the drag day was the HEART Race Experience!

377572883_122109747482027976_3467617810993154201_n.jpg

This is a brand new entity we are starting up in collaboration with Eurosurgeon Performance, with the aim to provide a safe and controlled first time motorsports experience for young people, or the sick or otherwise underprivileged. All the while we'll be raising money for some very deserving NZ charities, including The NaZCAR Foundation, Starship and The Heart Foundation!

We'll be putting on ride days where rather than your standard track day ride experience, our groups of experienced drivers will be racing eachother with passengers along for the thrill! This has been a lot of work behind the scenes, including the preparation of not one, not two, but TEN race-prepped turbocharged VW Beetles!

Check out the new venture here!

One of these days, I'll get around to refreshing and updating the OP of this thread...

At one of our recent Autokhana days, we had this pretty neat little Celica show up and compete.
So we got a word with the owner, Bjorn Burton!

Last edited:
We're trying something a bit different for us and hosting a chilled social outing for petrolheads! :D

If you're in New Zealand, feel free to come join us on the East Coast at the Te Puru Park in Maraetai, hang out, talk cars with like minded people. Then we'll be cruising all together to the West Coast, and meeting up at the Papakura Skate Park (Elliott Street) car park next to the Hawkin's Theatre.

For those of you not in NZ, the entire trip from East to West is 30km (18mi) :eek:

Here we will have some more relaxed natter, maybe a bite to eat, and an impromptu car show for any interested fellow Hoons, or Public.

This is a first for us, so all driven cars must be road legal, certainly welcome to trailer any racecars that don't have Wof & Reg.

Hooncorp's message has always been to do it on the track, not the road. So ABSOLUTELY NO road-racing, burnouts or anti-social behaviour at all will be tolerated. We want to be good ambassador's for motorsport and car culture in New Zealand!

Hooncorp.png

Last edited:
We're trying something a bit different for us and hosting a chilled social outing for petrolheads! :D

If you're in New Zealand, feel free to come join us on the East Coast at the Te Puru Park in Maraetai, hang out, talk cars with like minded people. Then we'll be cruising all together to the West Coast, and meeting up at the Papakura Skate Park (Elliott Street) car park next to the Hawkin's Theatre.

For those of you not in NZ, the entire trip from East to West is 30km (18mi) :eek:

Here we will have some more relaxed natter, maybe a bite to eat, and an impromptu car show for any interested fellow Hoons, or Public.

This is a first for us, so all driven cars must be road legal, certainly welcome to trailer any racecars that don't have Wof & Reg.

Hooncorp's message has always been to do it on the track, not the road. So ABSOLUTELY NO road-racing, burnouts or anti-social behaviour at all will be tolerated. We want to be good ambassador's for motorsport and car culture in New Zealand!

View attachment 1303648
30km coast to coast is so small, it makes Tasmania seem huge by comparison.

I travel 19km just to go to work, so 38km everyday without detours.

A trifle amount compared to when I was trucking around full-time pre-accident.
Then it was an average of 1900km/week.

Well, our social was a bit on the small side, but no less enjoyable!

A small variety of cars, some like minded individuals and plenty of motorsports natter made for a rather peaceful little Saturday afternoon outing. It's definitely something we're looking to expand upon and do a bit more often, just need to find some venues that could make for a neat little hangout spot for something laid back and social!

IMG_20231125_175437_425.jpg
IMG_20231125_175437_404.jpg

IMG_20231125_175437_591.jpg
IMG_20231125_175437_512.jpg

Also, we now have full catering at our events!! Our mates at Big Smokin Mo BBQ will be bringing along their absolutely delicious meals and feeding the masses as they compete in our last Autokhana for 2023! Smoked pulled beef nachos, smashed burgers and ice cold drinks, we've never had catering at our events besides the odd saussie sizzle, but it's awesome to have these guys come on board to level up the atmosphere and experience we put on!

Bigsmokinmo (2).png

To wrap up this post, here's a video from our last Autocross day where this gorgeous 68 Camaro got put through it's paces!

Well, our social was a bit on the small side, but no less enjoyable!

A small variety of cars, some like minded individuals and plenty of motorsports natter made for a rather peaceful little Saturday afternoon outing. It's definitely something we're looking to expand upon and do a bit more often, just need to find some venues that could make for a neat little hangout spot for something laid back and social!

View attachment 1306808View attachment 1306809
View attachment 1306810View attachment 1306811

Also, we now have full catering at our events!! Our mates at Big Smokin Mo BBQ will be bringing along their absolutely delicious meals and feeding the masses as they compete in our last Autokhana for 2023! Smoked pulled beef nachos, smashed burgers and ice cold drinks, we've never had catering at our events besides the odd saussie sizzle, but it's awesome to have these guys come on board to level up the atmosphere and experience we put on!

View attachment 1306812

To wrap up this post, here's a video from our last Autocross day where this gorgeous 68 Camaro got put through it's paces!

Is the Camaro being driven on a go-kart track?

The black Camaro in the 2nd pic looks 👌

Is the Camaro being driven on a go-kart track?

The black Camaro in the 2nd pic looks 👌
Same owner for both Camaros

That's the Meremere Drift Park, basically built as a nice tight little complex for drifting, but we've repurposed it for autokhanas. The camera doesn't pick up just how tight it actually is, hopefully I can take some gopros along on Sunday and get some in car footage!

Well, it's not the news we wanted to share.

A bit of rain, we don't mind. But what's on the horizon is heavy showers and then some, if the reports are to be believed.

Same owner for both Camaros

That's the Meremere Drift Park, basically built as a nice tight little complex for drifting, but we've repurposed it for autokhanas. The camera doesn't pick up just how tight it actually is, hopefully I can take some gopros along on Sunday and get some in car footage!
I think you've posted some in-car from there before.

Anyway, it just looked like a go-kart track with the option for a couple of layouts.

As for drifting. I can see it working for a solo session, but it would be extremely tight & close quarters for tandem style.

I think you've posted some in-car from there before.

Anyway, it just looked like a go-kart track with the option for a couple of layouts.

As for drifting. I can see it working for a solo session, but it would be extremely tight & close quarters for tandem style.
I've seen up to three cars sliding around together, but yes it's quite tight. I only just learned that the place actually is used for proper competitions too, full on drift battles and everything. I always thought it was just a playground.

We're stoked that Scarles have come on board to support the team in 2024!

Scarles have a range of seats that are affordable, stylish and put up with anything! From your track day experience right through to a 24 hour endurance race, we can personally confirm that these seats are up for the job! 💪

They also stock a wealth of other aftermarket and motorsports equipment, so be sure to check out scarles.co.nz, and use the code HOONCORP to get 5% off your order when you spend $50 or more!

Last edited:
📢 ANNOUNCEMENT 📢
We are super excited to welcome Penrite Oil to the team!! 🏁🚗💨

Penrite have come on board to support the entire Hooncorp brand, backing not only the events we put on, but also our motorsports and our sim racing activities! 🤝💯

FB_IMG_1712294509454.jpg

One of the stars of the show was Whangarei local boy, Brad Wright. He's built this FC himself, and made it a real gorgeous piece of kit, but don't think it's just for show. It's also fully capable of sending tyres o heaven, while also setting competitive times on the streets of Northland!

We're a little over three weeks from the May 24 hour event. And we, for some reason, have just committed to building and fielding an all new car. The idea is to fill this car with first time rookies, so hopefully we can get it built in time!

Back