The "I can't believe they raced it!" Thread.

• Thread starter adam46
  • 688 comments
If you think that looks insane, look up the Jade Warrior. Its a whole different level of nope. :eek:
And then there's this. https://bangshift.com/general-news/powered-street-luge-is-not-for-wimps/
1668015688026.png

Skimmed through the thread, and uh...

WHAT IN THE EVER-LOVING GOD ARE THESE? :scared:
Various interpretations of cars, friend. Creativity was aplenty, even if it was likely not gonna work.

Last edited:
Various interpretations of cars, friend. Creativity was aplenty, even if it was likely not gonna work.
This makes me wonder if there was ever a downright bizarre or highly unusual design that actually proved successful (and I'm not talking about clever innovation like Brawn's double diffuser or McLaren's rear brake pedal).

Tyrrell P34 did enjoy some success, but I'm talking a design that beat literally everyone else. The Brabham fan car also succeeded, but was banned immediately after.

Last edited:
This makes me wonder if there was ever a downright bizarre or highly unusual design that actually proved successful (and I'm not talking about clever innovation like Brawn's double diffuser or McLaren's rear brake pedal).

Tyrrell P34 did enjoy some success, but I'm talking a design that beat literally everyone else. The Brabham fan car also succeeded, but was banned immediately after.
Chapparal 2J.
The first mid-engined F1 cars.

Kenny Reece's "3 to 1" Supermodified was was banned before it got to the race track. Tim Richmond tested it at Sandusky Speedway and beat the track record by a full second without any tuning. It was going to debut at Oswego Speedway but when the officials got wind of it they changed the rules to specify where each tire had to be located. It's difficult to see in this pic, but there is a 4th wheel on the left side. It and the middle wheel on the right are connected by the diff while the other two right wheels both steer.
1710044939312.png

Last edited:
It ran in the Australian Sports Sedan series, and it was mid-engine. A lot of it was Lola T-332. There was also Bryan Thomson's VW fastback. Mid-engine Chev V8 with a lot of McLaren M-10 under the body. One cannot imagine the handful these were. Check out the short wheelbase on this one:

image012.jpg
I saw this car at Sandown Historics last year
IMG_1726.JPG

Unlike the Brabham fan car, the P34 wasn't prohibited from further success. As best as I can recall, Goodyear didn't want to continue making the custom front tyres as a special request.

It could have been a lot more successful had it been given more development time but yeah, it wasn't so it didn't.

Maybe the Dauer 962? It paved the way for road-legal prototypes that became a thing in the late 90s. Those prototypes themselves fed back into the creation of LMP1.

Back