The "I can't believe they raced it!" Thread.

• Thread starter adam46
  • 687 comments
What is this catastrophe of a vehicle?
26dacia-duster-no-limit.jpg

That "catastrophe" is the awesome little Dacia Duster Pikes Peak machine complete with the engine from a GT-R and 850bhp, and I can't imagine it weighed much :D

Was part of a venture between Dacia and Renaultsport called 'No limits', believe it finished 3rd at the Pikes peak in 2012 (?).

1978 Dodge Magnum NASCAR.

View attachment 591392

Little to no manufacture support.

View attachment 591393

It won only two races.

Kyle Petty drove a rehashed Petty Magnum in the ARCA series and won a race in it, as the #42 car.

The Magnum had factory support initially, at least for Richard Petty and Neil Bonnet. When that car proved to be a dud and they both bolted for GM, the company pulled out altogether. The Chrysler Cup cars that came along in 1981 with the advent of the 110" wheelbase formula (the M-body Dodge Mirada, Chrysler Cordoba and, yes, even the Imperial) had zero factory support.

c753886d391b16645c7f4889b13e3371.jpg

side.jpg

Don't how this one has escaped me, but I was completely oblivious to the fact they made a racer out of the Koenigsegg CCX

The Koenigsegg CCXGT, built to FIA GT1 regs as project for Le Mans, but sadly never raced.

View attachment 628220
View attachment 628221
If I recall correctly, there was a rule change in GT1 that meant a minimum. amount of cars had to be produced (and sold?) which Koenigsegg couldn't meet at the time, effectively ending the project before it got to race.

A shame, because that was an awesome looking car!

Don't how this one has escaped me, but I was completely oblivious to the fact they made a racer out of the Koenigsegg CCX

The Koenigsegg CCXGT, built to FIA GT1 regs as project for Le Mans, but sadly never raced.

View attachment 628220
View attachment 628221

I wonder with the direction Koenigsegg is going now, whether we are going to see another CCGT like car from them, even if it is more spec like the P1 GTR or FXXK.

View attachment 628220
View attachment 628221

I knew about the car thanks to Forza, but didn't know it was actually made to regulations instead of just being a suped up track car. It would have been cool to see it race.

If I recall correctly, there was a rule change in GT1 that meant a minimum. amount of cars had to be produced (and sold?) which Koenigsegg couldn't meet at the time, effectively ending the project before it got to race.

A shame, because that was an awesome looking car!

Yea, believe you're right, funny how Koenigsegg has changed since then :lol:. It is a shame, as it was a great looking car, what was funny, is that it was that mad it had heavily reigned, so the original 4.7L 800bhp turbo'ed V8 was modified into a 5L 600bhp n/a V8, sort of like the Cerbera Speed 12 was for GT1.

I wonder with the direction Koenigsegg is going now, whether we are going to see another CCGT like car from them, even if it is more spec like the P1 GTR or FXXK.

I don't know tbh, considering how nuts there last few creations have been, god knows how crazy an FXXK-esque track special would be then :crazy:...

However I'd love to see them race and achieve their "dream" of Le Man's. Would be built to GTLM regs I'd guess, but It'd be just a case of which car they'd use; One:1, Agera or Regera (would doubt that though).

I don't know tbh, considering how nuts there last few creations have been, god knows how crazy an FXXK-esque track special would be then :crazy:...

However I'd love to see them race and achieve their "dream" of Le Man's. Would be built to GTLM regs I'd guess, but It'd be just a case of which car they'd use; One:1, Agera or Regera (would doubt that though).

As hypercars that wouldn't be likely, unless Le Mans reverted back to the late-90's GT1 era. Kind of ironic really :/

Up until the late 1980s they were still production-shaped, and fairly closely at that.

Otherwise, no; and when the big FWD switch happened at the tail end of the decade they lost that too.

So looking at that Dodge NASCAR, it still retains the shape of a Magnum despite being a spaceframe/silhouette racer?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm quite interested as to when NASCAR stopped being production based and became a single-spec formula and how gradual the change was.

While Cup cars are heavily regulated, they are not "single-spec."

-----------------------------------

The SEAT that was raced in STCC last year was incredible. It was a silhouette special of the León turned into a coupe to race int he last year of the Solution-F regulation STCC as a placeholder before TCR rules came into effect starting this season.

All I know, is that SEAT needs a car based on an A5, stat.

12909409_1065840600139625_8478128387062732107_o.jpg

seat-leon-stcc_7.jpg

seat-leon-stcc_2.jpg

seat-leon-stcc_4.jpg

seat-leon-stcc_8.jpg

Last edited:
I've known about this one for a little while, but was interested when I found out about it.

It's the Citroen Xantia 4x4 Turbo, was built for rally-cross if I remember correctly. Was just surprised that that the Xantia was used for such a sport more than anything. Was pretty successful as well apparently, though I don't have any specs. Can't imagine it'd be slow being a rally-cross machine though :lol:

citroen xantia 4x4 turbo 2.jpg

citroen xantia 4x4 turbo.jpg

So looking at that Dodge NASCAR, it still retains the shape of a Magnum despite being a spaceframe/silhouette racer?
Yes, more or less. That's why the road car had those goofy headlights, for example. It's also why the GM G-Bodies the following decade had the occasional limited run model to improve aerodynamics or whatever. The big change to when Cup cars became completely irrelevant to road cars happened when the Taurus replaced the Thunderbird; but that was just the last piece of a puzzle that had been being put together since the W-Bodies debuted in 1989.

Last edited:
Speaking of IMSA

Here's the Ford RS200 GTO, made from converting a road going RS200 to GTO specs and then jacking the 2.0 Cosworth Evo unit up to 750bhp.

ford rs200 GTO 2.jpg

ford rs200 GTO.jpg

Wasn't very succesful unfortunately, but it was later converted into a Pikes Peak machine. Not sure if it was same RS200e that won PP overall in '04 with Stig Blomqvist though.

Speaking of IMSA

Here's the Ford RS200 GTO, made from converting a road going RS200 to GTO specs and then jacking the 2.0 Cosworth Evo unit up to 750bhp.

View attachment 628996
View attachment 628997

Wasn't very succesful unfortunately, but it was later converted into a Pikes Peak machine. Not sure if it was same RS200e that won PP overall in '04 with Stig Blomqvist though.
Shame it didn't work out because that is awesome. :drool: Plus with that Cosworth engine tuned up to 750hp it'd be an absolute fire breathing dragon. :drool:

Speaking of IMSA

View attachment 628996
View attachment 628997

One of my favorite what if machines. Good god.

Shame it didn't work out because that is awesome. :drool: Plus with that Cosworth engine tuned up to 750hp it'd be an absolute fire breathing dragon. :drool:

Agreed, shame really it wasn't developed further, after all it only raced in 3 out of 38 races :lol:. But then again it was originally built for rallying unlike the rest of it's competitors in IMSA at the time. Apparently that Cosworth unit was good for well over 900hp too :eek:

Also, just found out it was the same RS200 that Stig Blomqvist used at Pikes Peak and won with in '04.

Speaking of IMSA

View attachment 628996
View attachment 628997

@Famine might like that.

Latest Posts

Back