The 'I didnt know that' Thread

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 728 comments
Disemvowelment is the term for when lttrs are rmovd for modrn bizness names.
I nearly put that into the Fallout/Plymouth XNR article, as "XNR" is a disemvoweled "Exner".

Something I didn't know until recently is in Spyro Year of the Dragon, Agent-9's sublevel on Fireworks Factory has a power-up you can get from shooting a panel on the ceiling.

Had the game for over 20 years and never knew this! It makes the level a bit easier and I wish I had found out about it sooner.

Uhm yeah, Buddy Holly.

so lets try that again.

The Beatles got their name as a tribute to Buddy Holly and The Crickets.

Last edited:
I just learned yesterday that "windfall" originated from fruit and vegetables that fell off plants/trees when it was excessively breezy.

A cool song I remembered listening to in the past had me wondering... I heard this part before! Well, I learned Flo Rida used samples from the ending parts of "Lowrider" by WAR for his song "Goin' Down For Real (GDFR)." I learned on another website that Flo Rida actually sampled a mix of some of the end parts of "Lowrider" for GDFR. You can hear those parts I'm mentioning in the chorus of "Goin' Down For Real." It only came to me recently that it was this certain part of "Lowrider" which sounded familiar to me.

Also, you pretty much have to fly there, although there's a seasonal main road which require a pilot vehicle (think of a pace car) arranged in advance. No impromptu road trips to Utqiagvik, as it's also known.

One thing I've heard is that Seasonal Affective Disorder is really high there due to the duration of wintertime darkness and the sheer isolation of the location. The all-day sunshine in the summer must also mess with sleep patterns over time.
When I was still in the service, I was stationed at a base in Fairbanks, Alaska for three years.

That SAD is no joke. It was wild to see the sun come up just before 11 am and set before 3 pm. You eat dinner and you're ready for bed, but then you look at the clock and its only 630 pm or so. Conversely during the summer its at least just twilight at 2 am. The trick I was taught was to cover your bedroom windows with aluminum foil so you can sleep at night.

Back