The Japanese License Plate thread (OP updated with links)(4649)

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 27 comments
Canada
Canada
One of my favourite things to do with the livery editor in GTS is to make authentic looking license plates. Since most of my street cars that I use in public lobbies are set up for various types of cruising on the 4 Tokyo highway circuits, I like to use authentic looking Japanese license plates.

I’ve managed to find a number of different blank Japanese plates, and I’ve found myself a set of green numbers (from a player named POPGOOSE, they have a ton of great stuff), and I understand the basic format of where to put the numbers. The Kanji characters, I don’t really understand, but I just use the same ones that came on my base plate (I have a few different plates from different prefectures).

The first thing I would like to know, from someone who understands the format better - if I want to make a random, generic JDM plate (to put on a “civilian” car in a photo shoot), is there anything about either the 3 top digits, or the 4 larger bottom digits that is supposed to follow any kind of pattern? Or are those numbers generated completely at random?

The second thing, and this will be more confusing :lol: Custom Plates:

I understand how to do really basic custom plates, for example an R34 GTR with the plate number • • 3 4, or an RX7 with the plate number • • • 7. What I’m looking for help with, is doing more complex custom plates.

I’ve read that people will make custom plates, using 4 numbers, that are actually puns, or plays on words. We do the same in English, when I was a kid I remember seeing a 911 with the plate I8A 4RE (I ate a Ferrari).

I found this forum thread that’s all about the plate numbers on the cars in Initial D:
http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=28448

Looking at the numbers, and at pictures from the show, the cars are all using a 5 digit number, instead of the 4 digits normally seen on Japanese plates. The general conclusion is that the creator did this to avoid any conflicts with having a real person’s real plate end up in a anime about illegal street racing. It also gave him more characters to play with. In these forums, I’ve seen people say that the plate on Takumi’s AE86 basically reads “Thank you 86”.

So, this is kind of what I’m after. Combos of numbers that can make puns, or plays on words, in Japanese; but keeping to the correct 4 digit format.

I’d also be interested in cool things to do with the top 3 numbers. So far I just put either the top speed, the max HP, or a lap time around a circuit like Tsukuba, as the 3 digit number on the top. What other creative things can I do with these three numbers?

Some basic phrases I’d be interested in using are 2 or 3 digit number combos that say
“Thank you”
“Love”
“Master”
“Top (highest level)”
“Demon/Monster”
Or anything else really.

Also, if anyone has knowledge of some of the specific number plates that were used on various character cars from any of the Tokyo Extreme Racer series of games, I’d be interested in it. Same thing for any of the plates from the Wangan Midnight anime series, or any other car related show/game from Japan.

Edit: so thanks to some helpful members, and some better googling by myself, I’ve managed to find everything I need.

Here’s a wiki all about the top 2 or 3 digits, as well as the Kanji characters on the top row.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Japan

The characters have to do with where the license was issued.

Format for the top 2/3 digits:

2 digits is for plates issued before 1999

3 digits is for plates issued after 1999

The first digit of the number is the chassis identification code.

- 1 & 2 are for trucks and busses
- 3 is for passenger vehicles over 2000cc
- 4 is for small vans, trucks, and wagons from 660-2000cc *
- 5 is for passenger vehicles from 660cc - 2000cc *
- 6 and 7 are for 3 wheeled cars and trucks.
- 77 through 79 are “overflow” for 5
- 8 is for special vehicles which need to be inspected every year
- 9 is for extremely special vehicles (or tractor/fork lift)

* Addenum: For a car to qualify for a 4xx/5xx plate, a car must have dimensions not exceeding 4700 mm (15.4 ft) long, 1700 m (5.6 ft) wide and 2000 mm (6.6 ft) high in addition to engine not exceeding 2000cc - any violation gives you a 3xx plate.

Hiragana: this is the small character which appears on the lower row, before the four large numbers.

White plates can have the following Hiragana
さすせそたちつてとなにぬねのはひふほまみむめもやゆよらりるろれわ

Green plates can have the following Hiragana
あいうえかきくけこを

Here is a tutorial teaching all about Hiragana, including how to pronounce each different character
https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/learn-hiragana/

As far as the colours go:

- Green numbers on white is for private vehicles

- White numbers on green is for commercial vehicles

- Black numbers on yellow is for private Kei cars (less than 660cc)

- Yellow letters on black is for commercial Kei cars

Here’s another page dedicated to deciphering Japanese plates. Says the same thing as the wiki, but also provides a list of all the characters which can be used (there’s a limited number of them)
http://www.licenseplatemania.com/landenpaginas/japan.htm

Goroawase:

Here is a wiki explaining Japanese number puns, including dozens of examples of 2 and 3 digit numbers that can be used to make various words.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_wordplay

Edit 2:
Another page explaining Japanese word play with numbers, which is actually called Goroawase.
https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/goroawase-japanese-numbers-wordplay/

Apparently, 8820141 means, “tastes good to your mother” :lol: :lol:

There’s a link on that page to a Goroawase generator and database, but it’s all in Japanese, so I haven’t got a hope in hell of figuring it out (yet, this is kind of motivating me to try to learn some Japanese lol). But if there’s some GTP members who speak and read Japanese, maybe they’d be kind enough to do some translating for us, so we can come up with some really badass jdm license plates :P

Edit 3: finding the goods now. Here’s a page that has the top 200 requested license plates for japan.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~iu8y-tti/rank01.html
Some of them are easy to figure out why, but again, because I can’t read the Japanese, some of the other number combos are a mystery to me.

Here’s a bunch of the Goroawase I’ve found so far:

13 = “meaning”
14 = “stone”
15 = “strawberries”
16 = “hi-ro” = “Hero”
23 = “Ni-san” = “Nissan”
26 = “bath”
29 = “meat”
32 = “water”
39 = “thank you”
45 = “after death”
46 = “white”
53 = “trash”
55 = “go go”
57 = “dust”
63 = “tasteless”
73 = “wave”
74 = “secret/stealthy”
82 = “hearts”
85 = “box”
87 = “flower day” or “banana day”
90 = “bear”
96 = “black”

109 = “Shibuya” (district in Tokyo)
222 = “cat day”
313 = “sandwich day”
315 = “highest”, “supreme,” “ultimate”
415 = “good kid day”
634 = “Masashi”, an old name for where Tokyo now stands
712 = “Knife”
888 = “haha” (I think you can do more 8s for more ha’s)
889 = “hurry”
893 = “Yakuza”
906 = “late”

1100 = “king of beasts” (this one is mine!! 3867!!)
1129 = “good clothes day”
3315 = “say let’s go”
3867 = “don’t touch it”
4155 = “ready go go”
4946 = “reads a lot / oft read”
5572 = “coconut”
9182 = “cutie honey”

0840 = “good morning”

.4 = “angle”
.59 = “heaven”

4649 is kind of a special one. It stands for Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu, which is apparently a complex phrase that doesn’t translate well, but roughly means “nice to meet you”, or “please help me”.

Last edited:
The first thing I would like to know, from someone who understands the format better - if I want to make a random, generic JDM plate (to put on a “civilian” car in a photo shoot), is there anything about either the 3 top digits, or the 4 larger bottom digits that is supposed to follow any kind of pattern? Or are those numbers generated completely at random?

The three top digits are the class of the car. The number is 3x or 3xx for cars with 2000cc and larger engines, 4x or 4xx for cars with 660cc to 2000cc engines and 5x or 5xx for Kei cars for example.

Can confirm that Initial D plates have five digits on purpose, to prevent making a plate that exists in real life and having insane fans of the anime steal it for collection. The only other thing I can add is that Kei cars have a plate with a yellow background and black numbers, instead of the usual white/green.

Can confirm that Initial D plates have five digits on purpose, to prevent making a plate that exists in real life and having insane fans of the anime steal it for collection. The only other thing I can add is that Kei cars have a plate with a yellow background and black numbers, instead of the usual white/green.
Do you know anything about the inverted plates, the green ones with the white numbers? From what I can gather, those are for commercial vehicles...is that correct?

It seems there isn’t a large pool of plates available. Are there duplicates? Can two different cars have the same reg?

Check the LEC thread about this. I posted a detailed link there. Maybe it covers your needs.
Would you be kind enough to link your post? There’s s number of different LEC threads, I’m not sure which to start looking in.

Edit: thanks very much for the link.

Here’s a direct link to the reference page. It backs up Wikipedia, and provides some additional info

Off of that page, I learned that for the top number, 2 digits is used for license plates issued before 1999, while three digits is for license plates issues after 1999. The first number, regardless of the number of digits, is the vehicle code.

1 and 2 are for trucks and busses,

3 is for passenger cars over 2000cc,

4 is for trucks from 660-2000cc,

5 is for passanger cars from 660-2000cc,

6 and 7 are some weird ones,

8 is for a special vehicle that needs to be inspected every year, and

9 is for very special vehicles (I’m assuming government vip, etc....would be kind of cool to use a 9 on a VIP style Lexus or something :P)

Last edited:
I found it!!!!

I should have looked at Wikipedia to begin with, I was just searching for the wrong things lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_wordplay

This wiki gives a full break down of Japanese number puns, as well as lists dozens upon dozens of examples. There’s a LOT that can be used on a variety of cars.

Thanks everyone who helped so far!! I’ll edit my first post with all the links.

I’ll continue to update this thread with my ideas for various plates, as well as any more info on the topic I can find. I’d still like to find some kind of master list of all the license plates from Genki’s TXR games, as well as from the Wangan Midnight anime.

From the quick look at the Japanese number pun/wordplay/number play the Devil Z licence plate is something like undefeated junk (Google translate). Some of the others I tried didn't make much sense. The licence plate for Harada's Z31 Fairlady Z translates as Player Big Cock.

I used this site for the number translation.(?) Then used Google translate for Japanese-English translation. You should be able to check the known Initial D licence plate meanings to get an idea of how it should be.

4 is for passenger cars from 660-2000cc,

5 is for passanger cars under 660cc,

Think you got these mixed up as 5## plates are definitly for up to 2,000cc cars (you usually see Civics and Lancers running 5## plates).

In addition to the 4 digit number you have the character at the start of the plate which is part of the registration number. This is how you can have multiple plates with seemingly the same numbers.

Here's an example:

Both Plates below are issued by the same Tokyo office, have a 300 class marking and the number 00-23 (shown as • • 23) yet they're differentiated by the characters ro and sa (making the full registrations ro 00-23 and sa 00-23):

JP Plates.jpg

Think you got these mixed up as 5## plates are definitly for up to 2,000cc cars (you usually see Civics and Lancers running 5## plates).

In addition to the 4 digit number you have the character at the start of the plate which is part of the registration number. This is how you can have multiple plates with seemingly the same numbers.

Here's an example:

Both Plates below are issued by the same Tokyo office, have a 300 class marking and the number 00-23 (shown as • • 23) yet they're differentiated by the characters ro and sa (making the full registrations ro 00-23 and sa 00-23):

View attachment 760691
Yup you’re right....4 is for trucks and wagons, thanks for catching that!

From the quick look at the Japanese number pun/wordplay/number play the Devil Z licence plate is something like undefeated junk (Google translate). Some of the others I tried didn't make much sense. The licence plate for Harada's Z31 Fairlady Z translates as Player Big Cock.

I used this site for the number translation.(?) Then used Google translate for Japanese-English translation. You should be able to check the known Initial D licence plate meanings to get an idea of how it should be.
I’ll give this a try later, see what I can come up with :)

Addenum: For a car to qualify for a 4xx/5xx plate, a car must have dimensions not exceeding 4700 mm (15.4 ft) long, 1700 m (5.6 ft) wide and 2000 mm (6.6 ft) high in addition to engine not exceeding 2000cc - any violation gives you a 3xx plate.

Also, I'm not really use on 7xx plate - in TXR0 I was given the option to have such plate for cars that otherwise use 5xx plate. I also saw pictures of real-life four-wheeled cars with 7xx plate as well.

Last edited:
Addenum: For a car to qualify for a 4xx/5xx plate, a car must have dimensions not exceeding 4700 mm (15.4 ft) long, 1700 m (5.6 ft) wide and 2000 mm (6.6 ft) high in addition to engine not exceeding 2000cc - any violation gives you a 3xx plate.

Also, I'm not really use on 7xx plate - in TXR0 I was given the option to have such plate for cars otherwise use 5xx plate. I also saw pictures of real-life four-wheeled cars with 7xx plate as well.
I believe it’s that 77x through 79x are use as “overflow” for the 5xx series. I’ll add it to the OP.

Also, the following is a list of cars eligible for 5xx plate in GT Sport as of writing, excluding the kei cars (Beat, S660, Copen): (numbers are length/width in mm; limit is 4700/1700)

Alpine A110 1600S '72: 4050/1500
Toyota S-FR: 3990/1695
Fiat 500F '71: 2970/1320 (too wide and engine too large for 1955 Kei car standards, which called for 3000mm length, 1300mm width, and 360cc engine - engine displacement is 500cc)
Suzuki Swift Sport '07: 3695/1690
Mazda RX-7 (FC) '90: 4315/1689 (total displacement is roughly 1300cc)
Toyota 2000GT: 4175/1600
Toyota MR2 GT-S (SW20): 4171/1699 (just)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV: 4330/1690

Also, the following is a list of cars eligible for 5xx plate in GT Sport as of writing, excluding the kei cars (Beat, S660, Copen): (numbers are length/width in mm; limit is 4700/1700)

Fiat 500F '71: 2970/1320 (too wide and engine too large for 1955 Kei car standards, which called for 3000mm length, 1300mm width, and 360cc engine - engine displacement is 500cc)
So do cars like the FD RX7, Evo X, or GT86/BRZ have to use a 3 because of the dimensions of the body? Or do they use a 5?

Here's an example:

View attachment 760691
Do you have any more insight into exactly which characters are/can be used at the start of the plate? Is there a format for them as well? Or can they be picked from a list at random?

Do you have any more insight into exactly which characters are/can be used at the start of the plate? Is there a format for them as well? Or can they be picked from a list at random?

The Wiki page has what characters can be used and on what plates.

Some more updates, including with upcoming cars:

1500 Biposto: 4520/1650
Abarth 500: 3657/1627
Mini Cooper S '05: 3633/1688
Mini Cooper S '65: 3054/1397
Jaguar E-Type: 4453/1657
Integra Type-R (DC2): 4380/1695 (English Wikipedia claims '97+ models were 1710mm wide, but Japanese one didn't say that and I can't find a picture of such models with 3xx plate)
Porsche 356: 3870-4010/1660 (depending on the model)

Integra Type-R (DC2): 4380/1695 (English Wikipedia claims '97+ models were 1710mm wide, but Japanese one didn't say that and I can't find a picture of such models with 3xx plate)
It's a 1.8 engine, isn't 3xx for engines 2.0 and larger?

Back