The lack of '50s road cars.

• Thread starter HarVee
  • 50 comments

Would you like to see more 1950s road cars?

• Total voters
United States
somewhere near Trial Mountain
oldbusanubis
It was in the 1950s when automobiles became closer to their modern form. Many car manufactures started experimenting with aerodynamics and started utilizing now-common features such as automatic transmissions and even the introduction of safety features such as seat belts, yet in GT series there has always been a distinct lack of road cars from this period. It's interesting since this was a pivotal decade in the development of the automobile.

Simple poll, but I'm curious to see what GTP thinks.

The only car from the 50's that I want to see that isn't in GT7 is the 57 Chev... I don't really care much about cars from the 50's to be honest, so no, I don't want to see more of them.

Last edited:
I love the cars from the 50's and I hope more will come to the series in the future. Not only sport cars, why not family cars and luxury cars, like Volvo Amazon sport '58 or Cadillac '56?

I love the cars from the 50's and I hope more will come to the series in the future. Not only sport cars, why not family cars and luxury cars, like Volvo Amazon sport '58 or Cadillac '56?
The Cadillac Series 62 has been one of my favorite Caddys ever since I drove the knock-off version of it in Mafia II way back in 2011. There's something about the way it looks that's just interesting. Two door luxury cruiser with a subtle tailfin. It definitely fit in Mafia II, and would no doubt be a blast to drive and customize in GT7.

Last edited:
When I was a kid I had a Matchbox ‘59 Chevy Impala. That rear view was something to behold.
1713431732789.jpeg

Last edited:
My car knowledge only really starts from the 60's with things like the Corvette, 911, and Mustang. That said, I do love the 356 which predates the 50's even but that's about the only pre-60's car I find interesting...

@HarVee what cars did you have in mind when you thought up this?

The Cadillac Series 62 has been one of my favorite Caddys ever since I drove the knock-off version of it in Mafia II way back in 2011. There's something about the way it looks that's just interesting. Two door luxury cruiser with a subtle tailfin. It definitely fit in Mafia II, and would no doubt be a blast to drive and customize in GT7.
Yeah, it would be much fun to have it or other Cadillac in GT. I love the Caddies from the 40-60s . They have raced with Cadillac so I cant see why they can't be in the game.
I come also to think of the Cadillac Eldorado coupe deville '59 , what a epic car to have in GT, 345 hk from a 389,6 cu. in. Tri power engine .

I must stop write... Otherwise, I will continue to think of cars from the 50s that I want to include in the game. I don't want to be accused of wishing 😅

Last edited:
I respect the era, but it's not high on my list. Dig the BMW and a Fast and Furious Jag, but I could do without. I won't write them off if PD adds more.

With a few exceptions (most of which are already in GT7), European marques were still getting back on their feet after WW2 and American brands were putting out overly stylized cartoon cars with almost zero interest in performance. Japanese cars of the 1950s are barely even cars. I'll pass on 50s cars.

I would love to see more prewar cars though, as it was a more interesting and competitive era both for road and race cars.

Yes and no. The game needs cars like the Subaru 360 and BMW 507 to return, but I don’t think it’s a decade PD should prioritize more than they have done already.

I've a split opinion with old cars. I usualy like to watch and admire them, because they look great. But when it comes to driving, that's a different story. Driving them slow is ok, but racing them feels like a fight.
In the end i voted with "no". I'd rather have more actual race cars.

I've a split opinion with old cars. I usualy like to watch and admire them, because they look great. But when it comes to driving, that's a different story. Driving them slow is ok, but racing them feels like a fight.
In the end i voted with "no". I'd rather have more actual race cars.
That's actually what I like about old cars. Because they're more challenging to drive than newer models, it offers a different experience to their modern counterparts. The '58 C1 Corvette is a drastically different experience than you get with driving the C7 for example.

I wouldn't mind seeing more '50s race cars either, but road cars are kind of the meat and potatoes of the GT experience for me and I know in the long run I'd get more use out of a road car than a race car from this period.

Last edited:
One of the coolest things that I’ve started doing IG is taking all my old clunkers crushing on various tracks that are laid out on actual streets. Trial Mountain and Grand Valley are very good for this. I stay in my lane and go for very spirited drives - kinda like what most of these cars were designed for. Doing it in VR, is incredible, and you realize how good some of these cars were when not trying to be driven at 10/10ths by modern day standards.

PD would be very smart to design a few iconic point to point, or looping road “courses” - complete with ability to take scapes photos wherever you want (I think Forza already has this feature). One of these road “courses” per region sounds about right

One of the coolest things that I’ve started doing IG is taking all my old clunkers crushing on various tracks that are laid out on actual streets. Trial Mountain and Grand Valley are very good for this. I stay in my lane and go for very spirited drives - kinda like what most of these cars were designed for. Doing it in VR, is incredible, and you realize how good some of these cars were when not trying to be driven at 10/10ths by modern day standards.

PD would be very smart to design a few iconic point to point, or looping road “courses” - complete with ability to take scapes photos wherever you want (I think Forza already has this feature). One of these road “courses” per region sounds about right
Sometimes when I'm feeling "old school" I'll take the 356A to one of the more scenic tracks, such as Trial Mountain, and pretend I'm doing a Porsche Carerra Cup race, complete with the NFS Porsche soundtrack playing in my headphones. :D

I don't think we need any more '50s cars until some of the performance cars of the last few years are added. GT7 is missing pretty much every cool car from the last 10+ years.

50's cars can be fun, but when it comes to a game like this, keeping up with current automotive development is much more important than adding a bunch of cool looking cars that handle and brake poorly.

I don't think we need any more '50s cars until some of the performance cars of the last few years are added. GT7 is missing pretty much every cool car from the last 10+ years.

50's cars can be fun, but when it comes to a game like this, keeping up with current automotive development is much more important than adding a bunch of cool looking cars that handle and brake poorly.
I think both keeping with current developments as well as preserving automotive history are important for GT. One shouldn't cancel out the other.

Grand Valley is really best when driven this way. I find the course very annoying to drive fast on - the flow seems off and the forward direction induces punishing understeer with all the downhill corners.

Oh man, Fujimi Kaido from Forza and California Highway from PCars would be amazing roads to have in GT7.

With a few exceptions (most of which are already in GT7), European marques were still getting back on their feet after WW2 and American brands were putting out overly stylized cartoon cars with almost zero interest in performance. Japanese cars of the 1950s are barely even cars. I'll pass on 50s cars.

I would love to see more prewar cars though, as it was a more interesting and competitive era both for road and race cars.
Uhm ok, European marques had a lot to offer in the 50‘s, they weren’t busy getting „up on their feet“ for long, there was a lot of innovation, world class engineering and design in that period.

There’s more than just a few exceptions:

AC Aceca
Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Speciale
Allard K2
Aston Martin DB4 GT
Austin-Healey 100S
BMW 507
Borgward Isabella
Cisitalia 202
Cunningham C3 Continental
Facel Vega HK500
Ferrari 410 Superamerica