The Long Goodbye: My 700 Mile Road Trip to Drive the Nurburgring

Discussion in 'The Rumble Strip' started by GTPNewsWire, Oct 14, 2019.

1. queleuleu

queleuleu

Dream job :bowdown: Good luck!

SlipZtrEm likes this.
  2. Matej

Matej Premium

Some of us used to work in the same team of writers, so big hello to everyone out there, and Kyle, good luck with your future job. This article inspired me to dug up an old Evo magazine this morning and read article about two Croatian chaps who took a trip to Zakspeed Formula school at Nurburgring for track day sessions. Such a wonderful track.

SlipZtrEm and Jordan like this.
  3. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

4. W3HS

W3HS Premium

I may have missed it, but you’re not leaving the site entirely, are you?

5. AOS-

AOS- Premium

Technically doesn't have to leave the forum, but definitely won't be a contributing writer though.

6. W3HS

W3HS Premium

I never read the news anyway. ;)

7. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

Good luck with your new job, Kyle!

SlipZtrEm likes this.
  8. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

Echoes of my own experience in Germany. :) What a warm and welcoming culture.

This story is also similar enough to my own experience of the Nürburgring. Almost no plan, getting on the track by luck, and having time for two laps...and realizing the roads surrounding the track are a treat themselves. :cheers:

Cytoria and SlipZtrEm like this.
  9. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Staff Emeritus

Warning, incoming long post! Just so that I don't keep repeating myself: to each and every one of you, thank you again. And sorry this took a while to respond to! :)

That was sort of the intent. :D

It's been an awesome journey of growth for both of us I'd say. Some of my favourite articles of yours over the years were the DriveClub and WRC ones, the passion always was right there on the screen!

Cheers Gary, thanks for adding your own flavour to the front page!

:cheers:

Awesome @Cytoria! That must've been one heck of an experience in your own car! I'll try to visit when I can, absolutely — I've been here for 16 years, I doubt that'll stop!

It was great to finally meet up in Montreal, Adam. Thanks for all of your contributions — they're always a treat to read, and what you boys are doing with Time Extend is just perfect. :)

Joe! Vegas was such an incredible experience, and I still can't quite believe you stayed as long as you did given that early flight. Really glad the three of us got to do that, it was awesome. :D

Outside of a handful of tasters in GPL, GT4 was my first real taste of the 'Ring too. If I had to guess I'd be well over 7,500 laps there since in various titles, which equates to roughly 1000 hours. Hopefully you can make it there too some day!

Reading that makes me happy — I'm glad the feeling came through. :)

Jamal! It's been a hell of a ride hanging out at all these events, and I think it speaks to the quality of this little hobby of ours that these sorts of bonds form. I'm proud to call you a friend too man — get ready for the Rec Room. :D

Friends 'til the end, sir. :)

Being there was like an amplified version of being at a car meet in my mind. I love the attitude of acceptance at things like Cars & Coffee, where nobody cares what sort of car you brought, so long as you like cars. The 'Ring really felt like the mecca of that movement: every person I talked to had this sort of reverential tone about just being there. It's hard to not want to go back right away when it feels so natural.

Ah, Ameer, I don't get to tell you this often, but you were missed in the writer ranks. You were a natural, and I hope you'll use your skills for good, not evil. ;)

I will! I'm taking a bit of a breather now to focus on real-life stuff, but I'll definitely be around. I might even — gasp — play more sim racers now. :lol:

I figured that'd be the case. I'd like to test it to be sure, though...

I noticed that later on in the year when I found myself there a second time. Well, not quite there: when I went to Salzburg for the FIA GTC event, I stuck around for a few days after and did another road trip to Stuttgart and the Porsche Museum. Austria seemed pretty strict in terms of speed, but I just followed the flow of traffic on the Autobahn. Getting on the road at 4:30 in the morning was one of the smartest decisions I've ever made...

Ah, that looks awesome @Whodoyouthink, how cool was it to run the track in a car so close to your own? I too have GoPro footage but I avoided uploading it on account of the ban and this being an article instead of for personal use (even if I had visited off the clock, so to speak). The in-car stuff is almost useless because of the vibrations, but it's still special to me.

About Hamburg: it was because I was there for an F1 2019 game preview event. That's what started the ball rolling, really.

Cheers, Adam. Thanks for always staying cool when I'd pester you for an interview, and for giving priceless insights into the events. It's been great watching you at each one, and I'll keep cheering from back here on future ones too. :cheers:

That's correct on how I snagged this job, yes.

Don't give up. Your last paragraph sums everything up IMO: if the opportunity realistically presents itself, go for it. The biggest push I got for this whole road trip was my girlfriend. I was hung up on how much money it'd cost for such a short little taste of the 'Ring. She insisted I do it: money comes and goes, but an experience like that will last forever. Sure enough — as with most things in our lives :p — she was right.

It's good to hear from you Matej, I hope everything is going well over there. :cheers:

Nope, just relinquishing editorial duties. I'm just a regular ol' member now.

I had no idea you'd done that, Wolfe! Glad to hear it was such a similar experience. I'm sure I wouldn't have disliked more time, or better planning, but there's something about just winging it that makes these sorts of trips so memorable.

Since then I've been lucky enough to do the afore-mentioned Salzburg-to-Stuttgart-and-back trip, and then a Mustang GT convertible all over the coast and mountains just north of San Diego. Both just involved light planning once I was on the ground, and they were fantastic. That sense of freedom is something else.