The Loser's Creed

• Thread starter Kelvari
  • 16 comments
United States
Normal, IL
DvorakUser
VastSquare13
I originally entered the Academy with hopes of winning, or at least coming in the top 24 on the final round. Seeing how, on round 3, I'm struggling to break gold, and there are people 6+ seconds ahead of me (How in the world do they DO that?!) I have decided to make the following my creed

To those that won, I may be little more than an also-ran
To myself, I will be an also-ran-my-best
Despite what the people with the three-screen racing simulator setups may tell you, the Academy isn't really about winning or losing; it's about pushing yourself to your limits, and finding how to break through them. You're not in the top rankings for your country? It's alright - neither am I. What I am doing, though, is doing the best that I can, pushing myself harder, and not giving up without a fight.

Last edited:
Indeed, I do. Due to other bills, though, and a 3rd-shift job, I doubt I'll have the time or money to get a full racing simulator (or the room, given the small size of my apartment). But dreams are what keep us alive, yeah?

I originally entered the Academy with hopes of winning, or at least coming in the top 24 on the final round. Seeing how, on round 3, I'm struggling to break gold, and there are people 6+ seconds ahead of me (How in the world do they DO that?!) I have decided to make the following my creed

To those that won, I may be little more than an also-ran
To myself, I will be an also-ran-my-best
Despite what the people with the three-screen racing simulator setups may tell you, the Academy isn't really about winning or losing; it's about pushing yourself to your limits, and finding how to break through them. You're not in the top rankings for your country? It's alright - neither am I. What I am doing, though, is doing the best that I can, pushing myself harder, and not giving up without a fight.
good for you man I, personally, am going to kill myself due to the amount of shame I bear from my poor poor performance.

Indeed, I do. Due to other bills, though, and a 3rd-shift job, I doubt I'll have the time or money to get a full racing simulator (or the room, given the small size of my apartment). But dreams are what keep us alive, yeah?
If you wanted to come up with excuses that belittle other's accomplishments you should have gone with something more logical such as "due to my 3rd-shift job i do not have as much time to practice as some other people"

Good for you @Kelvari great way to look at it and still have fun. So many people get super discouraged when they aren't immediately at the top of the boards that they blame the game itself and give up never having had any fun or learning anything to become better.

I know what you mean as well about the "aliens" running 6+ seconds under gold. If you watch the replays it seems so easy. With your attitude towards it though I'm sure you'll learn some things that will without doubt stick with you in the future.

A simple wheel in front of a tv is really all you need to do very well in GT. No need for thousands of dollars of setup. The single biggest thing you can do is free... practice being smooth and relaxed. Learn the balance of the car. Watch some of the replays using the view you use for your driving. As for time I've found that even 30min a day does wonders for consistency and you would be surprised how easy it is to fit in to a tight schedule when you simply vow to do it. Even 15min a day is better than 45min followed by 3 days off.

If you wanted to come up with excuses that belittle other's accomplishments you should have gone with something more logical such as "due to my 3rd-shift job i do not have as much time to practice as some other people"
How am I belittling their achievements? I'm simply stating that,in my current life situation, I am unable to invest as much time or energy as other people participating in the Academy.

To those that move on to the second stage, I say a sincere "Congratulations" and wish them the best.

How am I belittling their achievements? I'm simply stating that,in my current life situation, I am unable to invest as much time or energy as other people participating in the Academy.

To those that move on to the second stage, I say a sincere "Congratulations" and wish them the best.

I think he was taking exception to your comment about needing a "full race simulator" to qualify. I didn't think you meant it that way since it seemed your post was sincere. But anyway, to qualify I've seen people attach there wheel to a TV tray and post qualifying times.

I've seen people attach there wheel to a TV tray and post qualifying times.

Well, there goes my plan to blame my setup! :lol:

I'm sitting exactly three seconds back from the leader in my region and if I kept at it to get the best lap ever (combination of my best sector times) I might be 2.7 seconds behind them. I don't think I'll ever be in their league, but damn it's fun trying! Also, a HUGE thanks to @Tidgney for his video on how to improve lap times at Spa, it made a huge improvement in my consistency.

Well, there goes my plan to blame my setup! :lol:

I'm sitting exactly three seconds back from the leader in my region and if I kept at it to get the best lap ever (combination of my best sector times) I might be 2.7 seconds behind them. I don't think I'll ever be in their league, but damn it's fun trying! Also, a HUGE thanks to @Tidgney for his video on how to improve lap times at Spa, it made a huge improvement in my consistency.

Well, sometimes too many monitors works against you: I Have 4 monitors but only one PS3 so 3 monitors are used for other stuff, like having the world cup games on a loop, Skype chats, tracking the stocks ,etc . Those little coloured flashes on the stock tracking monitor are pretty distracting sometimes, and don't get me started on the action in the world cup… :banghead: So yeah… I blame my setup!! :yuck:

Coincidentally I too am 3 seconds (2.931 to be exact) behind the leaders in my region. It has been lot of fun, chipping away at my time .1 of a second every hour or so is quite satisfying. And I am the second fastest in my region using an automatic transmission :dunce: (fastest is .4 ahead).

I thought I was a pretty good driver in game, and especially in this last round, I've wondered how the heck some people are so much faster! After an hour or going at the last round, I got a 2:18.xxx as my best, and felt like I was really pushing the limits in the corners. I've probably put in another 1000km or so since then, and have gradually improved to a 2:16.6, with some splits putting me close to a 2:16.0 if I can put it together consistently, so I'm still finding time all over the place.

Morale of the story? Keep practising, the pace will come to you.

Morale of the story? Keep practising, the pace will come to you.

Practice is definitely the key. I did not get a chance to practice yesterday or today but have done maybe 10 hours all up going from 2:25.xxx and cursing at not being able to gold it to stringing 5-6 laps in the mid 2:17s with ease.

Practice makes perfect, keep at it if you really want to win and go to Silverstone. :)

Congrats to all qualifiers

And for the rest
Maybe next year?

Here's a picture I made that may (or may not) inspire you.

P.S Going sideways won't make you go faster and will most likely result in 🤬:banghead:

Last edited:
Practice makes perfect, keep at it if you really want to win and go to Silverstone. :)

Congrats to all qualifiers

And for the rest
Maybe next year?
P.S Going sideways won't make you go faster and will most likely result in 🤬:banghead:

Going sideways might not make you faster, but I'll still count it for style 👍

Back