The mindset of online racers

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 35 comments
  • 2,331 views
Messages
4,917
Germany
Berlin, Germany
Messages
bmxmitch1
- Check Top10 list
- See 10 Porsches/M4/or whatever is the meta
- Pick said car
- Race like a maniac without practicing the track
- profit

Thats pretty much how most people race in the daily races. Unfortunately....

I wish more people would just race what they like, instead of picking the "fastest" car in every damn race!
I'm pretty much the only one with a different car, maybe 2-3 others, and thats it for variaty in the races. It always makes me sad to see 5 chrome Porsches in front of me :yuck:

And I always give the guys in other cars a big thumbs up before the race and the rest a big "booo" :p
 
Said mindset also allows people to complain about the lack of cars in one breath, and the fact that they use one car exclusively in the next.

I've been trying to use as many different cars as possible, because I just can't stand having cars in my garage that I haven't used.
 
I do the first 2 points definitely but not the other 2. You have to practice or you will start at the back of the pack and struggle hugely.

I do not have the time to experiment so i will go with the top 10 only though lately i have started using different cars than Top 10 because i know from past experiences. Yesterday i raced with M4 in Race C for 2 races then 1 race with Megane which i won and then 4 with Italia finishing Second twice which i loved the most.
 
I think people use other cara for fun in online lobbies (the ones that have time for that). In sport mode it's just practical to pick the fastest car and go with it because you know you can be competitive without testing other cars. There are a lot of people who don't have a lot of time to play so when they go to Sport Mode they just want to get the most out of it (win if possible).

Another issue that blocks people from using more cars is the fact that we can't use setups. No one in their right ming will ever drive the Gr.3 Lambo on stock setup and be competitive. That car is a complete mess, unfortunately. Most if not all cars are not as fun to drive as they could be due to their weird stock setups (LSD especially IMO) so people just go with the car that can give them a better chance at winning or overtaking.

Finally, Sport Mode stats, especially DR, have a big impact in the points you get on FIA races. So, the top guys, who most probably are the ones who will gain something IRL from GTSport won't risk lowering their DR and consequently the amount of points they can get, by choosing a slower car.

I, for one, usually use the top10 car too in Sport Mode (this season I went for Mazda though). But in lobbies where we can change setups and have fun not looking for wins, I change cars very often.
 
But it is also funny to join a Interlagos Race (my favorit) and destroy all the Mainstream Gamers with no own ideas of car selection with a other car. And for sure if you rejoin the Race, ofthen you see afterwards players from the last race with your car beliving it must be faster or so... amusing. Their only Explanation for losing against others...
 
I agree, there is often only 3 non-porsches in the race, it's a bit sad if you ask me. But people just want "the fastest car" and by extension, just want to win. I'm here to have fun and do my best, different mindsets.

I also think the mass migration over to [insert car of the moment] doesn't help BoP updates, it just ensures the car of the moment gets nerffed.
 
I refused to use the megan, but I have tried the M4 and I make my viper time look like a noob.
I just stick to GR3 now that I'm feeling precious about maintaining my DR:A.

It was nice to see a guy leading the bathurst gr4 top ten the other day with the Aston, when everyone else had used megane and M4. I watched his replay and it looked and sounded perfect.

I only need 4 cars in the game, 991, GR4 Viper, Cobra, Samba.
 
i still dont know what is the big deal with the "meta cars" ... just please stop worrying about other players cars...and try to be faster with your own car...
im not a meta car racer neither a ilumminated hipster.....i just race what i want and try to get faster.... thats it..
 
i still dont know what is the big deal with the "meta cars" ... just please stop worrying about other players cars...and try to be faster with your own car...
im not a meta car racer neither a ilumminated hipster.....i just race what i want and try to get faster.... thats it..
Once you start competing with very close competition and no one is making any off road mistakes, the car makes all the difference. Reaching your limit with a car and then being able to beat it with a shoddy lap in another car does make me think I'm throwing the race before it even starts.
In a lower DR group I could compete with my gr4 viper, but I wouldn't get to finish in time in a 10 lap race if I used it against my current competition.
 
I do the first 2 points definitely but not the other 2. You have to practice or you will start at the back of the pack and struggle hugely.

I do not have the time to experiment so i will go with the top 10 only though lately i have started using different cars than Top 10 because i know from past experiences. Yesterday i raced with M4 in Race C for 2 races then 1 race with Megane which i won and then 4 with Italia finishing Second twice which i loved the most.

Gr4 Italia was all I used yesterday. Great car, great to drive. Had some great mid pack clean battles at Suzuka.
 
Once you start competing with very close competition and no one is making any off road mistakes, the car makes all the difference. Reaching your limit with a car and then being able to beat it with a shoddy lap in another car does make me think I'm throwing the race before it even starts.
In a lower DR group I could compete with my gr4 viper, but I wouldn't get to finish in time in a 10 lap race if I used it against my current competition.

I understand your point, but if the car makes the difference... why you dont get the meta car ?? whats the big deal about it ??

if your priority is to being comfy choosing your own car even if your are below the competition....thats great....use it.... but not complain about it...

if your priority is to win with your favorite car.... just practice harder to beat the "noobs" that use the meta cars....

my comment was about the bunch of meta cars crying threads in this forum...

if the meta cars users are noobs? ok beat em with your favorite car..... ohh you cannot ?? use the meta car.... i think is not a big deal using that cars..

what i personally do is... setting a pace with my favorite cars.... and then try the meta car....if im too faster with the meta...i use it.... but if im comfy with my favorite car times and handling i go with my favorite car.... and i try to not look on other racers choices
 
I also refused to drive all the meta-cars and stick to my GTR Gr.4 (always) and the Atenza Gr.3 (mostly) and while I always end up mid-pack it gives me satisfaction and happiness when I've beaten some of the meta-car drivers and improved my position in the race. I don't really aim for winning races as I know with the cars I drive it's not possible atm unless I'm really lucky :O
 
Another issue that blocks people from using more cars is the fact that we can't use setups. No one in their right ming will ever drive the Gr.3 Lambo on stock setup and be competitive. That car is a complete mess, unfortunately. Most if not all cars are not as fun to drive as they could be due to their weird stock setups (LSD especially IMO) so people just go with the car that can give them a better chance at winning or overtaking.

Thats what I preach since they removed it! I just want it back to make some cars drivable again. The Huracan-GT3 really is a mess. Same with the Ferrari :indiff:

i still dont know what is the big deal with the "meta cars" ... just please stop worrying about other players cars...and try to be faster with your own car...
im not a meta car racer neither a ilumminated hipster.....i just race what i want and try to get faster.... thats it..

I'm not worrying about other players cars. It's just a lil boring to race against the same cars, over and over and over....
 
People want to win that's why most people race would be my guest. While the more experienced racers might be happy with a battle for 10th, many players are not. Given that choosing a car you know isn't the fastest means you'll probably be towards the rear of the pack and your odds of getting a clean battle are hit and miss, it's not hard to see why people choose the fastest cars. They want to get away from the punters at the back and they want to win.
 
People want to win that's why most people race would be my guest. While the more experienced racers might be happy with a battle for 10th, many players are not. Given that choosing a car you know isn't the fastest means you'll probably be towards the rear of the pack and your odds of getting a clean battle are hit and miss, it's not hard to see why people choose the fastest cars. They want to get away from the punters at the back and they want to win.

But, most of the people who choose those cars are the ones who divebomb in every corner!?
Or am I wrong? :lol:
 
Thats what I preach since they removed it! I just want it back to make some cars drivable again. The Huracan-GT3 really is a mess. Same with the Ferrari :indiff:.
100%. I get weight/power, even ride height, and to some degree aero... but goodness give us diff/bars/shocks/springs... both those cars are a delight with very limited tuning.

As for online mentality...
I check out the top ten just to see what the times are... let's face it, those top ten guys are going to be top contenders in the actual races regardless of what car they are in. I really like the 991 but it has become so popular I'm now running the Aston and/or Jag in Gr.3... need to buy a Z4, everyone says it's great putting power down, and, I'm a careful in hard out driver, so, it may suit me well.
Gr.4 I like the 458, even tho the M4's, TT's and VW's drive away under throttle.
If I can get within 2.5-3 seconds of #10 (usually 5seconds off #1), I usually have pretty good races... not to be confused with wins, good as in I'm competitive mid pack. If I cannot come within those time guides, I've found I am not competitive with the "field", so I go make a custom race and play offline.
Pretty sure selecting the FF cars or M4 is not going to transform me into a contender for wins... and would only place me racing with other cars of similar traits, so, my race would still be trying to pick up 1 or 2 spots as opposed to victories. As such, I'll run the car I like and race mid/back of the pack.
 
Last edited:
Have you ever considered that those noobs with top 10 car maybe are better than you and they want just win
 
I'm using a DS4 pad, and I'm not the fastest at all. I'm no alien. I feel if I can get to DR:A (using the worst car in the Gr.3 group to get to full DR:B (Lambo GT3), although now using the GTR for something more stable to get into DR:A) anyone can.

It's 99% skill 1% minor advantage from the BoP roll of the month.

I race with DR:S people a lot, I'm DR:A. Running a GTR against almost all 911s usually. I do doubt the grid would be much different if they didn't use the 911. Skill will always be the overriding factor.

Want to do well? Don't use the Lambo GT3, anything else will do.
 
Last edited:
But, most of the people who choose those cars are the ones who divebomb in every corner!?
Or am I wrong? :lol:

would be great to have proofs of that afirmation... i think the real problem is that people associates meta cars with...noobs.. divebombers...bad drivers...etc..

is just the same with the spanish drivers in europe and brasilian in america...... just by popular beliefs....people just go saying that they are divebombers and bad drivers.... but trust me... i have been divebombed by drivers from all european countries.... there is no proof that most of them were spanish guys

so because of popular beliefs...internet myths or call it whatever you want.... most of people...just dont tries the meta cars just because they think that makes them noobs or silly drivers... but again... "you drive what you want"..
 
But, most of the people who choose those cars are the ones who divebomb in every corner!?
Or am I wrong? :lol:
Pretty sure the car doesn't force them to divebomb and they'd be doing it in any car they were driving.
 
I sort by "distance driven" and pick from the bottom of the list. Sometimes you get lucky and get into a room where you are the hot-shoe or sometimes, stuff happens to the folks up front.

Can you blame people for wanting to pick the cars that are seemingly the best? It reduced the gap between them and the better drivers.
 
But, most of the people who choose those cars are the ones who divebomb in every corner!?
Or am I wrong? :lol:

Yes and no :)

For some, it certainly seems to give them a sense of entitlement to pass anybody who isn't in the car-du-jour, and if that means a bump they think 'so be it'.
 
different viewpoint...
folks that select car-du-jour want to win, and by nature are going to be more aggressive...
me, I just just want a clean competitive race... so, good, put them all up front and keep them away from me.
 
- Race like a maniac without practicing the track

Thats pretty much how most people race in the daily races. Unfortunately....
That might be true with DR D and SR D-B, but that doesn't happen often in higher DR and higher SR.
 
Finally, Sport Mode stats, especially DR, have a big impact in the points you get on FIA races. So, the top guys, who most probably are the ones who will gain something IRL from GTSport won't risk lowering their DR and consequently the amount of points they can get, by choosing a slower car.

Yeah, that sounds about right, like the rest of the post.

The worst example is gr. 4, where FWD cars were turned into beasts, specially after update 1.06 (I think), specially Megane. For me, who preferred to race on other cars, RWD ones, kept racing with my Citroen GT, Cayman or F458, made some of my best races after this update but kept dropping my DR from close to upgrade to close to downgrade, just because 2/3 of the field were Meganes and Sciroccos. I now some people will pop out and say they keep beating the Meganes on RWD cars, but that's not my experience, where the best not FWD car struggled just to get a top 8 finish on gr. 4 races. And that guy was usually racing a BMW M4...
But in gr.3, even if some cars are slightly faster than others, it seems the differences are marginal. At least, for me, never felt I was slow because of the cars, rather than simply my (lack of) ability.

So, no more Sport for me for some time.
Honestly since update 1.10 didn't have much time to go to Sport Mode, using the GT League to get used to my new steering wheel instead of going to Sport Mode mess up with other people's race.
 
There are other advantages to having the same car as most. Not because it could be the fastest, it's also the safest. Cars that behave the same, have the same braking points, same lines means less chances of incidents. One make races are usually a lot more accident free in my experience.

I can set close to the same overall lap times in other cars, yet being faster at some parts and slower at others provides a lot of opportunities for contact and a lot of annoying blocking.
 
My mindset is to go out there, be competitive while using good racecraft and extend respectable sportsmanship.
Such as this at Bathhurst...
I started 14th, drove a clean set and finished 9th quite happy with the result.
It's not always about the podium, if you've improved and felt accomplished at the checkered flag you've won.
 
- Check Top10 list
- See 10 Porsches/M4/or whatever is the meta
- Pick said car
- Race like a maniac without practicing the track
- profit

Thats pretty much how most people race in the daily races. Unfortunately....

That is a seriously sweeping statement...

- The top 10 will likely beat our pole laps in any car but Joe Public can use the top 10's experience to shortcut finding which car looks best for the combo. Nothing wrong with that.

- I don't. A firm believer in 'jack of all trades, master of none' but it's crossed my mind to stick to the same car and really learn it. If the top drivers stick to the same car, they're usually on to something. I prefer the eenie meenie minee mo method of choosing cars though. Very scientific.

- I don't, and 99% of the time, I can avoid the people that do. They're kinda easy to spot...

- Not sure I understand the profit. It's not like you can retire on daily race credits.
 
Back