The Moon

• Thread starter RIPCDE
  • 62 comments
This is a great thread, as much as I don't like this part of the game, my love for the cosmos outweighs it and thus these pics show why it becomes cool.

It was right at the start of the first mission, I pointed the camera up at the sky and looked for the second biggest thing up there :)

Thanks!

Did catch the Earth once - but it was awash in light, and I couldn't get the right angle. Which part of earth do you think they're showing? Does it fit all astronomical calculations in relation to the rest of the sky?

For example - if I was standing on the Moon looking at Earth, would that be the right sky, and would that be the part of the Earth that is lit up?

This whole thing fascinates me endlessly because I was alive (and watched live) the Moon landing in '69; I'll never forget the way Neil hesitated (maybe imperceptibly to most) before he put that first foot down. I never imagined I would walk on the Moon myself one day (albiet virtually).

I have tons of shots - but the computer I'm using presently has decided it doesn't like me posting photos - and not just for this site, but all the sites I use. So maybe some shots from me, too, but later. However, I'm specifically focusing on Moon and views from the Moon in here - I believe I'll use the LRV thread for the majority of my LRV pics (which for some reason reminds me a lot of the Model T. :lol:)

~From moon (unedited)~

"Earth"

"The Andromeda Galaxy"

"Orion Nebula"

(click all for full size)
(3840 x 2160)

This is darn right awesome, I wish I could find these as well. What the whole cosmos addition is all about. Also seeing in my opinion (not because its the only planet that gives / sustains life), the most beautiful blue marble planet in the entire Universe.....and to think, it's still not Gods greatest creation...:)

thanks for sharing jB.

Lunar Mission II_1.jpg

Apollo 17 Ascend Stage Launch
by Metalsun1, on Flickr

December 14, 1972 marked the end of the sixth and final moon landings, closing an era in moon exploration. For it was on this date that the ascent stage of the Lunar Excursion Module and its Apollo 17 crew left the moon and with it the last humans to visit the moon. These men were Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt while Ronald E. Evans remained in orbit above in the Apollo command module. Here, we have the lunar roving vehicle (LRV) as the protagonist in an iconic historical moment. Recording the launch of the ascent module via remote control from NASA back in Houston, TX. The LRV was used in the 2 previous Apollo moon missions but the launch recordings were not very successful, until Apollo 17. A tricky feat, due to the great distances and communications delays between the earth and moon. Camera operator Ed Fendell had to tilt and zoom the device ahead of the launch, blindly and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Went back to have some fun on the Moon last night. Probably shouldn't have spent the preceding ten minutes watching Ken Block's latest vid...

Lunar Mission 22.jpg
Lunar Mission 24.jpg
Lunar Mission 28.jpg
Lunar Mission 39.jpg
Lunar Mission 46.jpg

Back