The Mysterious AMG Driving Academy

  • Thread starter Thread starter gogatrs
  • 35 comments
  • 4,175 views
Messages
7,424
United States
I Hate Stalkers
Messages
gogatrs
Many of you have completed the four stages of the Driving Academy special event.
Some with gold, some not.
But after a brief search and finding no other topics on the matter, few have noticed the following points:
1)The SLS AMG "Tuned Car" is used in two of the four stages 2)The two final stages are on a wet Nordschleife
3)The driving line aid can be used in the first two dry stages, but not the last two wet stages
This leads to some other observations:
1)The SLS AMG "Tuned Car" is featured no where else in the game, could the Stealth Car possibly be the tuned car? I'll do some testing both myself, and with Bob
2)The Nordschleife cannot be played as a wet track anywhere else in the game, this may have something to do with point three
3)This may simply be due to the fact that the final two stages are supposed to be more difficult, but all the other aids are allowed throughout the events. Could this possibly have something to do with the fact that the track is wet? I believe (no confirmation) that the dynamic weather la sarthe, and the non-dynamic weather la sarthe have different recommended driving lines (someone posted this somewhere...) Possibly, the driving line is not computer drawn, but by a human. Or possibly done through gps tracking IRL. Maybe the driving line is the issue that prevented them from featuring the wet Nordschleife in other parts of the game.

After some testing, my Bob's time on a dry Nordschleife with WARM but not worn comfort soft tires in a stock 300 SL with an oil change and 0 miles is 10:25.796
The beginner stage has the same conditions except that tires are cold when starting, the required times are as follows...
Gold: 8:49
Silver: 9:27
Bronze: 11:02
So Bob would most likely bronze the beginner stage.

I'll edit in more testing results as I come across them.

Discuss.
 
Last edited:
Many of you have completed the four stages of the Driving Academy special event.
Some with gold, some not.
But after a brief search and finding no other topics on the matter, few have noticed the following points:
1)The SLS AMG "Tuned Car" is used in two of the four stages 2)The two final stages are on a wet Nordschleife
3)The driving line aid can be used in the first two dry stages, but not the last two wet stages
This leads to some other observations:
1)The SLS AMG "Tuned Car" is featured no where else in the game, could the Stealth Car possibly be the tuned car? I'll do some testing both myself, and with Bob
2)The Nordschleife cannot be played as a wet track anywhere else in the game, this may have something to do with point three
3)This may simply be due to the fact that the final two stages are supposed to be more difficult, but all the other aids are allowed throughout the events. Could this possibly have something to do with the fact that the track is wet? I believe (no confirmation) that the dynamic weather la sarthe, and the non-dynamic weather la sarthe have different recommended driving lines (someone posted this somewhere...) Possibly, the driving line is not computer drawn, but by a human. Or possibly done through gps tracking IRL. Maybe the driving line is the issue that prevented them from featuring the wet Nordschleife in other parts of the game.

After some testing, my Bob's time on a dry Nordschleife with WARM but not worn comfort soft tires in a stock 300 SL with an oil change and 0 miles is 10:25.796
The beginner stage has the same conditions except that tires are cold when starting, the required times are as follows...
Gold: 8:49
Silver: 9:27
Bronze: 11:02

I'll edit in more testing results as I come across them.

Discuss.

What?
 
I know if you get all gold on the second stage you get the '98 Mercedes Le Mans car. I have silver but I can't get gold! Any advise on set-up or shirt cuts or anything??? I don't care how it's done, I just want the car! I use a normal control btw
 
Eunos_Cosmo

Was I really babbling that bad? lol
What exactly are you confused about?
 
Was I really babbling that bad? lol
What exactly are you confused about?

I think its mostly that you said you can only drive a wet Nordschleife in that one event, which isn't true.
 
Eric.
I think its mostly that you said you can only drive a wet Nordschleife in that one event, which isn't true.

No, you can drive the Nurburgring 24 Hour Course with dynamic weather.
Not the Nurburgring Nordschleife.
 
I was just about to say. The Northern Loop can only be played as regular or with Time Change. Good observation gogatrs. :)👍
 
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here. I got all my golds in the AMG Academy not too long ago ... I don't use the driving line so did not notice that. However, the description of the wet events points out that you will need to use a different line in the wet than the dry, and give reasons for it. It is also explained in the example videos, sometimes pointing out where to stay in the middle of the track instead of close to the curbs.

If I remember right, the full wet laps seemed to have much more grip than the individual stages ... I never checked the tires but would not be surprised if the full laps are on better tires than the individual stages. I'll check later if no one beats me to it.

Anyway, AMG is one of the best challenges in the game ... the full wet laps are much easier than the full dry laps too, especially in the SLS.
 
No, you can drive the Nurburgring 24 Hour Course with dynamic weather.
Not the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

Do I need to take a picture of my course listing that says "Nurburgring Nordschleife/Time Change/Weather Change"?
 
Eric.
Do I need to take a picture of my course listing that says "Nurburgring Nordschleife/Time Change/Weather Change"?

Yes.
It is only the Nurburgring 24 Hour Course that has weather AND time change.
The Nordschleife only has time change.
 
..Have you got gold on all the AMG tests?
 
Yes.
It is only the Nurburgring 24 Hour Course that has weather AND time change.
The Nordschleife only has time change.

I'm sorry, you're wrong. I drive on the Nordschleife time/weather change all the time.

photo.jpg


However, I do remember that on un-patched, original versions of the game, it was not accessible. On GT5 v1.0 it is purely time change, not time and weather.
 
Last edited:
The gran-turismo website says there isn't weather change for Nordscheife. So I guess that might prove it. Check again Eunos. :)
I think it doesn't exist.
 
The gran-turismo website says there isn't weather change for Nordscheife. So I guess that might prove it. Check again Eunos.
I think it doesn't exist.

Might want to check yourself.

20110718203749292.jpg
 
Update
The Nurburgring Nordschleife DOES have weather change, but only in PRACTICE and ARCADE mode.
Not online.

The Stealth SLS is NOT the same thing as the SLS tuned car. The Stealth car has a lot more torque/power, revs higher, has more oversteer, and comes stock with Racing tires.
 
I was just about to edit my post saying "Now that I think about it, there might be something of it in Practice mode or something."
 
Notice how no one had anything else to say. ;)
 
EliteDreamer
I was just about to edit my post saying "Now that I think about it, there might be something of it ion Practice mode or something."

Haha, yes, I just checked, but it's not available in online play...

Let's keep it civil people. ;)
 
Was just going to check, screenshot says it all.
 
I'v got Nordschleife time and weather change in arcade but can't use it online :(
 
GTlondoner
I'v got Nordschleife time and weather change in arcade but can't use it online :(

Precisely.
Could it be the physics?
And on their website it says it's NOT available.
 
Precisely.
Could it be the physics?
And on their website it says it's NOT available.

Unlikely. The 24h circuit contains everything the Nordschleife does, and more.
 
To be honest i'v always had a feeling that physics in practise and online are totally different, as cars i tune in practise just don't work online, i always make a lobby for myself and tune there probably just my mind playing tricks on me though lol
 
GTlondoner
To be honest i'v always had a feeling that physics in practise and online are totally different, as cars i tune in practise just don't work online, i always make a lobby for myself and tune there probably just my mind playing tricks on me though lol

It's not you, it IS different.
 
Its generally thought to be that tire temp/grip chances more realistically and that the fuel weight is added in online mode. I don't think there is actually less grip at all times, and maybe actually some time where you have more grip such as on your second lap where instead of overheating the front outside tire it hits its peak grip level. I've had some fast one-off times early on testing at Deep Forest in my own online lobby before the tires got up to temp.

I might actually have to go do a comparison test and see how much my times vary over 10 laps on the three race compound tires.
 
Something else, in practice mode you can choose between real and low grip reduction like in online mode.
How does this vary between online/offline?
 
We need to get someone to solve this...*ahem* mystery.
Da_Scooby_Doo_Gang!.jpg
 
I was just about to say. The Northern Loop can only be played as regular or with Time Change. Good observation gogatrs. :)👍

Wrong, my Nordschleife has been wet many times.
 
Back