Bopop's Racing Thread

• Thread starter Bopop4
  • 45 comments
Canada
Guelph, Ontario
This is a 1988 Yamaha RZ/RD350 that my dad and I are turning into a racebike. I am going to race it this summer in a late model vintage class at Shannonville.

aonm9w.jpg

Out in the cold.
x1hab4.jpg

In the middle of having every bolt wired.
30clsn4.jpg

xc3qlh.jpg

10omp91.jpg

I will update as the bike is put back together and the racing starts.

Thanks! It isin't numbers matching but we did a lot of work to clean it up.
The bodywork was also repaired before we got it so it was crashed too, but that has to be expected from a hooligans bike lol.

Bopop4
Thanks! It isin't numbers matching but we did a lot of work to clean it up.
The bodywork was also repaired before we got it so it was crashed too, but that has to be expected from a hooligans bike lol.

Still a nice bike. I love sportbikes of that vintage, really raw machines. No fancy fuel injection, VVT, traction control. Cant really tell, but is the frame solid? No cracks or anything? You will be running it in a 350cc class event?

We think that the frame is ok, it could be tweaked but it doesn't have any visible damage.
Taken from VRRA rulebook.
This class is for machines built up to and including model year 1989, except as listed in the exceptions,
and is open to production based and GP or GP replica machines.
125cc two stroke GP bikes
500cc two stroke singles
400cc two stroke street based twins and triples (must have original frames, cylinder blocks and
engine casings)
400cc four stroke four cylinders
650cc four stroke twins
unlimited four stroke singles

So I will be racing against some RS125s and FZR400s. But a really fast guy is also going to be riding an RZ350 so I will have a benchmark. (Lol, main goal is to not get lapped)
A lot of those guys are ex-AMA/superbike racers.

It's going well thank you. :)
Our basement is ripped apart right now so there isin't much work being done to the bike.
We're just trying to get some gear for me right now, I was going to use my dads old 2 piece leathers to see if I liked it, but a really cheap pair has come up on the other side of town so we're going to see that today.
I was actually modifying my dirtbike (Honda CRF230F) the past couple of days. I took out the airbox snorkel and the exhaust baffle and now all I need are different jets.
(It runs really lean stock)

I took out the exhaust baffle before the snorkel was removed but took out the entire spark arrestor system! With straight pipes it was insanely loud and sounded like a V-Twin, but I think that the cops would be all over me if they could hear the bike 1km away lol. I took the baffle out and reinstalled the spark arrestor.

The season is still a couple of months away so there is no huge rush with the bike.
But thanks for asking!

Update: We have the bike upstairs in the garage and was running it a bit yesterday.
I was excited about it but after playing with the throttle now I'm really pumped.
We have to complete the circuit for the kickstand disconnect switch and put the seat on it. I only revved it to 6000-7000 but it sounded like it was at 10! Will get pics and video up soon.

Edit: I just rode it and I am now SUPER AWESOME EXCITED to get it out on the track. The power was what I thought it was going to be like, and the speed the same. But racing it is going to be wicked, we're going to try to get it down to the kart track to give me some practice before I get onto the big track.

(He never said "Don't go past Phils house.") Edit: Actually, I forget now.

(I blame the shoes for the mis-shift...:lol:)

Last edited:
This is a 1988 Yamaha RZ/RD350 that my dad and I are turning into a racebike. I am going to race it this summer in a late model vintage class at Shannonville.

Really nice project! I just completed a '76 RD400 street bike this winter. You might say it is the "father" of which your rz350 descended from. LOL.

76rd400-r-side-001.jpg

Cheers!

Nice, the RZ could be the son, it's lighter and in better shape. (Performance wise.)
I was a excited when it hit in, does yours do that or is it a milder tune?

283619_4147078512748_300549696_n.jpg

Scraping the boot a bit, I started to get my foot right up on the peg and now it's scraping it to bits lol, we'll need rearsets. And the pipes are getting really close too.

I have to update this thread, and there won't be any new RZ250 pics/vids, it's an FZR400 now. :D
Will upload some more stuff.

Well after a pretty good year on the old RZ, I bought a 2007 Kawasaki ZX6R Racebike. Akrapovic slip-on, Racetech shock, Powercommander III, quickshifter, Vortex rearsets, and a couple of other good bits.

The thing goes like mad, and the brakes and suspension are superb.

483957_557931987580744_19239591_n.jpg

164916_581078315266111_1840200961_n.jpg

312264_580471618660114_947990488_n.jpg

Video from Grand Bend last week, managed to pull of the win from 4th on the grid.

Edit: Round 2 Bridgestone Cup

Last edited:
Round 2 was last week, was a lot of fun.

There is a class called "Bridgestone Cup", and if you get rewards from Bridgestone depending on how well you do.

1st=2 free sets of tires
2nd=1 free set
3rd=Free rear
4th=free front
5th=$50 towards tires

We decided to go into that race on Sunday after seeing our speed in the heats on Saturday.
Starting from the back, was going to go up the middle but a guy wheelied and there was no room.
(Later half is cut out because nothing happened.)

Managed to finish 2nd.

Start and finish of the Rookie race. We were lined up on the inside of the front row.

Pretty tiring with that being the 3rd race that we ran, but we managed to hold on for the win.

Sill learning the bike, but finally got the back end to start sliding out under acceleration.

Last edited:
Moving back to the RZ350, I'm currently trying to get it back to street-spec.

It's been a bit difficult so far though, trying to find parts after they've been stored for a while. I can't even use a couple of the safety features, (Stand switch) because that was all wired up so that it would never cause a problem during a race.

A little video of the transition to power, it only comes in at about 6-7k.

I am stuck on the signals though, I can get them working but they don't flash.
Dad said that he removed the flasher, but I think he removed the relay.
So after I put the relay back in it'll work, but not flash.

There is also a self canceling unit that is in place.

My question is this, are there 2 or 3 things needed for the signal system?

Is the flasher part of the relay, or are they separate?

If they are 2 different units, then I'll need to try and find the 3rd, but I want to know if I would just be wasting my time if it's part of the relay.
Thanks.

Round 3 Heat race.

Had a really good battle for the win.

We picked up a lot of speed during the finals, and ran away with it.

(Does anybody read this thread with interest? I'd like to know if I'm not just posting for nothing.)

Edit:
547105_10201615440085297_428535386_n.jpg

I also visit this thread and sometimes wonder if I'm updating for anyone but myself, however the internet is filled with lurkers.

I'm certainly interested in watching your progress. 👍

:)

I also visit this thread and sometimes wonder if I'm updating for anyone but myself, however the internet is filled with lurkers.

Yeah, I lurk a lot of threads.

Never posted in yours, but I love you FC, it looks mint. 👍

Now that I know that people read the thread, I'll post a detailed race report in the morning, and upload the other races.

Lurking.

:irked:👍

I think when your dad said "flasher", he was talking about the relay.

Lurking.

:irked:👍

I think when your dad said "flasher", he was talking about the relay.

:)

Yeah, i was so long ago that he probably doesn't remember what he took off.

There is a lot of stuff done to it that will mess it up for the street, most of the fuses are eliminated, so there you can ride away with the kickstand down.
All the bolts are drilled and wired as well, so I'm thinking that it'll sell better as a racebike.

(Plus I can't find out the damn wiring, half the stuff appears to be missing as well.)

The club that I race with also has a fun pit bike race every year, you dress up and stuff.
There's a snack table and you have to make pitstops for food every lap, while people shoot water guns. :lol:
993647_397560137015523_768267427_n.jpg

536657_10201615272521108_115569743_n.jpg

The guy on the left is riding a motorized beer cooler. XD

Full race report:

It had been over a month since I had swung a leg over the 600, and it had rained in practice.
So during my first heat race in Bridestone Cup, I was a little rusty.

Was in 4th, but the front 2 guys fell off so that meant that I'd start on the front row the next day for finals. My main competitor was a guy riding the 225, and he had passed me and pulled away a bit, but I was able to close the gap at the end, so I knew that we had something for him on Sunday.

He was also in the Rookie Challenge, and even though I started from pole, (Based on points.) he got by after a few laps. (That's the video actually, on the other page.)
Another guy on the 420 got by, and almost lost it in the process. I was able to get a good run out onto the straight, and passed the 420 back, and then set about hunting the 225 down.

The 225 was running a defense line through the corners, combined with my late push, saw me right on his tail during the last lap. I tried to pass in T1, but I braked too hard and overslowed the bike, allowing him back through.

The last place I could pass was on the straight, and with the help of a draft, was able to pull it off.

Sunday was the finals, and my first race was the Bridgestone Cup.
I got the holeshot and held it for a few laps until the quick guys passed me, and then 3 went by at once, including the 225. :ouch: (I'm not very strong at T1. :indiff:)

Another guy went by as well, so I was down to 6th, but he didn't have a very fast bike in the straights, and I eventually got by. Then I did the exact same thing as the day before to the 225. Last lap on the straight with a good run out onto the straight, and staying tucked in to his draft.

Our real race was in Rookie though, starting from pole, I wanted to get another good start and try to pull away from the field.

I just put my head down and tried to push hard.

Apparently by the halfway mark, I had a lead that was half the main straight.

Took it was for the last half, and comfortably won the race. :D

When I got back to the pits though, I was told that I had been protested and DQ'd for an infraction.
Namely the one that states that to run Rookie, you have to have had a total of no more than 6 race weekends done.
Now it was valid since I had done 4 races with the club last year in vintage, but you don't do that.
I've had no more experience than those other guys, the first time I ever road a streetbike was last year with a 1988 RZ350. And that was my 3rd weekend on a 600.

(And the 350 and 600, as you might imagine, are COMPLETELY different to ride. The Kawi has more than double the power of the Yamaha.)

The protest was put in by the club asshats, and a lot of people were upset at their protest.
(The protest was handed in when I was on my victory lap. :indiff:)
The only thing that I'm upset about here is that we lost 250 bucks of tire money, and wee on't be able to run for the Rookie championship anymore.

(I know it's for fun and all, but it really helps when you get tire money, just because that's one of the biggest expenses in this type of racing.)

But yeah, we still had a lot of fun during the weekend, and we'll be back faster than every for Novice 600, we'll be entering Novice Superbike as well.

We were going to go to Mosport to race in the Canadian Superbike Series as well, but Dad totaled up the costs, and it would've been almost $2500 for the weekend. :ouch::(
Maybe next year, and only if we have a sponsor.

Last edited:
Round 4 report

Well it finally happened, we went down on Friday to practice. :D

It sucks when you're off the bike for a few weeks, and then have to start the first race rusty, like last round.

So we went down to get some practice in, and it REALLY paid off.

When we went down, we pitted next to some friends at the track.
The Dad is from Northern Ireland like my father, so they get along great, and he has a 12 year old son riding a CBR125. (Really well, he was passing the trackday bikes in the corners.)

The Dad is an ex-racer, so he was giving me a LOT of help for some of the places that I was struggling at. Mainly the long, triple apex turn 3.

On the first day, I finished (8th?) in the 600 race. Was uneventful.

Had to go straight from 600 to Bridgestone with only a few minute water break, everybody panic! :lol:

In the Bridgestone Challenge, I was running 2nd for a good while, and then a guy got by me and just left me. There was another guy really close, but he made mistake, so I finished 3rd.

In Open Sprint, (Any bike goes, superbikes included.) I got a fantastic start, and had almost passed the entire row infront by the start line, I moved to the outside to pass more people.

But some guys had got together up ahead, and I saw some guys back wheel in the air, he didn't go down, but everyone went wide to avoid him, and I got pushed onto the grass. :/

Made up a few spots from dead last.

Unfortunately, my camera ran out of charge that race. :ouch:

Next day.

Was a bit quicker, and wound up 7th in Novice 600.

Made up a few places and finished 5th in Open Sprint Novice, so that's 25 bucks off tires. :lol:

The really important one was after lunch, the Bidgestone Challenge.
So of course I went and messed around on the mini MX track with everyone,. :lol:

Oh, and the slowest bike I've ever been on is now a Suzuki JR 50, jesus is that thing slow...

Anyways, I was gridded on the front row in 3rd, got a good launch and ended up 2nd in into T1.

The leader (#86) pulled a gap on me at the start, but I was slowly able to pull him back in. The pass came from all the practice at T3, got a great exit and was able to get alongside for braking into T4.

I was losing time over a bump in between T4 and T5, I think I was trying to absorb the bump to much, and everyone else just threw the bike into the next corner while I was trying to ease it around the bump.

Made a mistake into T4 and the rear end went up, had to get off the brake and run wide, the 86 got back by.

He was holding a tighter line coming onto the back straight, and I was able to get near him. Our bikes were very evenly matched.

Second time I was able to get near enough to dive under into the carousel.

Looked behind on the final lap and he must've made a small error as I had a small gap.

Was able to win the race and 2 sets of tires! Later on I learned that we had pulled a huge gap on the field, even on the quick guy from yesterday.

1185587_653053901373212_169881720_n.jpg

577278_10153131479810532_1000570244_n.jpg

935883_10201751902096762_1077095319_n.jpg

1002507_654121607933108_416862415_n.jpg

Great weekend, and through Facebook conversations on one of the photos, one of Dad's old friends is looking for a bike for me to ride if I come over to Ireland for a short circuit race. Do enough of those races and you can do a road race. Enough time road racing and pretty soon it'll be time for the TT. :D

Thanks. :)

The RZ is a fun, quirky little bike to ride, nothing under 6,000rpm, and then it just hits into the power at 7.

Fantastic to see your progress Bopop! That ZX6R looks the nuts and it seems that you're doing a great job of riding it.

Thanks! :)

It needs a bit of suspension work right now, the front springs are too soft, and the fork internals aren't quite up to snuff.

We're thinking of selling it at the end of the year, and buying an AMA bike from the States, much cheaper to buy it in the US.

Oh wow, what a weekend. (This might take a while to finish, so within the next day more pics will be edited in.)

From round 5 of the S.O.A.R series last weekend.

This was the 1st time that we decided to sleep over at the track on Friday and Saturday, because driving a 15mpg truck for 10 hours driving back and forth from track to house costs a lot in gas. Saved a couple hundred bucks just from sleeping over.

For this round, we would be running the "Screaming Alien" configuration in reverse, it's really fun way to ride it.

On the Friday practice, it had rained for a good bit in the morning, but we were able to get a good amount of track time in to learn this configuration.

MotoGP tuner John Cornwell had installed stiffer front springs for us, because the stock ones were starting to bottom. He also spent an hour talking to me and answering my questions, which is incredible information to be getting, considering that he tuned for Carl Fogarty during his championship years.

Going to bed on the Friday night, it started to rain, and then it started to pour, and then it started to flood. Ridiculous amounts of water, everything was soaked, and even overnight the dry sheets got a bit damp from humidity.
ew0d.jpg

^My sleeping configuration. There is something very calming about being warm in bed while the trailer gets assaulted by rain. (Dad was sleeping in the truck.)

We used the CRF230 for a pitbike because the the TY80 was out of commission.
(Oil tank nipples broke, not surprising for being almost 40 years old.)
It's nice to have e-start and a kickstand though.:lol:
Not to mention massive wheelies.

5iug.jpg

Trying to keep dry.

The track was still a bit damp from the previous night, the 1st race of the day for us was the Bridgestone Cup heat race.

Result spoiler a bit below

I managed to get a terrible start, (Not aggressive enough with the clutch.) but was able to go around the outside of the leaders in the 2nd corner.

The front end got up a bit on exit, and threw me around fairly good.

Was able to cruise to the heat win.

Next race was the Open Sprint heat. Anything goes, as opposed to Bridgestone and 600's where only supersport bikes are allowed. (600-4, 675-3, 850-2)

Results below.

Got a decent start, and made up another 2 places braking on the backstraight. The front end locked and the bars turned quite a bit at :42 over the puddle. Managed to save it and make the turn.

Lost a place, made it back, and then took advantage of the battle in front to gain another spot.
By this time I was leading the Novice group. (They are scored separately, so I could've just stayed there, but... nah...
The 800 is a really quick guy that runs up front in our club, but his rain bike was down on power, so I was able to breeze by on the strait and get the overall. (Not that it mattered for the actual results.)

Ahh, the 600 Extreme heat.

Mixed Novice's and Pro's. (Ie, the 47 who won the Superbike race that weekend.)

This was just a really good battle the whole way through.
Almost ran into a guy when he stood the bike up over the puddles.:scared:
Finished 2nd in Novice.

Going to bed on Saturday, it started to rain again...
Next morning.
tk3w.jpg

4pbr.jpg

fewm.jpg

6lvx.jpg

We're lucky that Grand Bend has those trucks to suck the water up, it was up to the top of the kerbs in one corner.:crazy:

First race of the finals was the Novice 600.

Track was still a bit wet in places, so no place for a DOT race tire.
Held the lead till the halfway mark, up until then I could hear the guys behind, so I just tried to pace and maybe save some tire for the last few laps.

Once they got by they opened up a small gap, but I closed it back up again, and then...

...the rear tire went to Jell-O.:ouch:

I could not get drive off of the corners for the life of me, the back end was all over the place.
5:36 you can see that I try to roll on the gas and it just spins up. I really thought I could have won that race if not for the tire melting itself.
(After the race, you could see difference between the right and left sides of the tire, the shape was gone on the left side from lack of rubber.)

Still, happy about getting on the podium where the goal was a top 6 finish.:D

Open Sprint final.

This was probably the toughest race mentally of the weekend, my visor fogged up so badly, that with the combo of rain, I could hardly see.
I had to start turning into some corners before I could even see them.

Got a good start, and almost had a mess at :24, he was pretty damn close.:lol:

Took a few laps to catch the guys in front, but once the rain started to fall it was easier. Kept on picking people off, and found myself racing with the Pro guys on their 1000cc superbikes. The orange wheeled bike was on slicks, and the blue bike was on rains. I was on DOT race tires.

The blue bike was Scott Rupert, he is the guy that you expect to win at Grand Bend. He was going to go out on dry tires, but his dry bike had a problem and he had to use the rain bike.

I tried to go on the outside coming to the white flag, but there was no way that he could see me, so I had to let the corner go.

Still, got the Novice win, and I didn't even know it. I didn't know who won our class, so I was heading off, then everyone was pointing at the start line and yelling. :lol:

(t was getting a bit slippery, front end started sliding at 8:54.)

600 Extreme final, since I got top 6 in the Novice race, I got a free provisional in the expert final.

Finished 6th, happy enough even to be in the race.
Flames at 5:05.:D

Bridgestone final.

Holeshot, pushed a little for a few laps, then held pace for the win.
There were only 4 people in the race though, so no free tires.:(

Now I'm only 1 point behind the 86 going into the last race of the year, it'll be interesting.

1231421_10153258324465532_1611227233_n.jpg

For a guy who is in hospital from a hit and run.

I'm not sure on the order, but meh.
152514017.kqCRvI4u._GR13071.jpg

152514678.1QF94eay._GR13076.jpg

152515110.0BcuIvmu._GR13086.jpg

152513985.UGHmLh4q._GR13069.jpg

152519286.CUW0eyfL._GR13109.jpg

I really like the heat haze from the exhaust on this one.

152523172.eQzsRbpC._GR13263.jpg

Got noticed from racing with the big boys, so hopefully that might open up some doors.

1240071_10153267125475532_1278709294_n.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome stuff!

PS, I think your bike would be a tiny bit faster with a Ghosts of Razgriz sticker on it.. :sly:

Back