The New Xbox Game Box Art Is A Mess

• Thread starter Robin
  • 16 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
As predicted the finalised new Xbox game box art is a complete disaster. This is exactly why clearly different and dedicated Series X/S packaging should have been done, even if the games aren't next gen exclusive.
74748_344_finalized-xbox-series-game-cases-are-very-similar-to-one-boxes_full.jpg

Both have to say Series X and One because they can both play on those systems but only the game that has the Series X icon in the top right actually has the 'next gen' enhancements which may or may not be chargeable by the developer and that may or may not be already on the disk. Also the Series X version has the One version included in case you want to play it on a One but they needed to make that double clear for some reason. And they have to remind people One games are playable on all 'X Series' consoles in case Series S owners got confused that it only says Series X.

Jeez how many times has the word 'Series' been used in one picture :lol:

Last edited:
That does look confusing!

Had to look deep at the images to actually spot the differences in the covers so I imagine I wouldn't be the only one.

Thankfully that problem does not exist with PS5 at least. :cheers: Good 'ol Microsoft!

All they had to do was add Series S/X at the top. Maybe they will be releasing another console version.

edit: I mean right after the Xbox logo instead of a stamp on the corner

Last edited:
So, er, what IS the difference in those two games? I still have no idea looking at them.

Lot of confused parents shopping this Christmas.

So, er, what IS the difference in those two games? I still have no idea looking at them.

Lot of confused parents shopping this Christmas.
The one on the right is the Xbox One version, which you can play on the Xbox Series X and has a typo where it calls the console "X Series". The one on the left is the upgraded Xbox Series X version, which also includes an Xbox One version.

All they had to do was add Series S/X at the top. Maybe they will be releasing another console version.

edit: I mean right after the Xbox logo instead of a stamp on the corner

If the actual Blu Ray case had Series X&S stamped in the plastic at the top next to Xbox it would certainly go some way to making it clearer and would mean less jargon on the art.

But MS insisted on calling this generation 'Xbox'. Add to that the differences between being able to play something and play something enhanced and whether those enhancements are on disk, digital or paid has made it unnecessarily confusing.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons ive always avoided Microsoft - just no style, compared to Sony & Apple.
Weird. The way a game case looks for a given system is literally nonexistent thought in my mind. Interesting to see people to see opinions on something extremely mundane. I think the PS5 is hideous - doesn’t mean I’m not going to buy one, because at the end of the day what’s more important is what it actually does rather than how it looks outright.

I don't see the issue with this at all. Seriously. Having said that, I think both Microsoft and Sony have taken the absolute boring route for boxart this gen. It's largely the same as it was previously, just with some new bits thrown in. Or, in Sony's case...a white border (and spine) as opposed to blue, with black lettering...as opposed to white.

*Uproarious applause*. They're both droll. :lol:

ch2gnr4hecd51.jpg

This is what I would have preferred.

Weird. The way a game case looks for a given system is literally nonexistent thought in my mind. Interesting to see people to see opinions on something extremely mundane. I think the PS5 is hideous - doesn’t mean I’m not going to buy one, because at the end of the day what’s more important is what it actually does rather than how it looks outright.

Well it goes right back to using windows PCs and having those anti virus pop ups every 2 minutes...terrible things haha.

Highlights that this whole console generation is no longer the leap in graphics it used to be.

Feel sorry for the early adopters no real benefit in these new machines yet

Back