The Next Nissan GT-R

• Thread starter Slash
  • 253 comments
This is the Maxima down here. I haven't even seen one of these for a few years now.
2008 NISSAN MAXIMA ST-L For Sale $8,999 Automatic Sedan _ CarsGuide.jpg
2008 Nissan Maxima ST-L review - Photos _ CarAdvice.jpg

The Pulsar SSS is still in the shadow of Hyundais and Mazda2s. It's cool that a turbo is offered in a small car but, all the limelights are on Mazdas now. Honda don't even have an answer for the Mazda3. That car alone is smashing everything.

I see why Nissan Aust need to lead with the GT-R and Z. The new Pathfinder has the Hyundai SUV to contend with. Then, there is that new Toyota 4-Runner SUV thing(a proper off-road SUV).

The GT-R and Z need to be advertised and shown with racing clips. Show the Bluebird ATCC and Datsun 1600 rally video clips as well. That's their strength here. The racing history. As Emery pointed out. NISMO has to be done right. Then, they'll get people interested in the passenger cars.

Automobile news
A substantially freshened 2017 GT-R is on its way to U.S. showrooms, but Nissan designers are already at work on a full redesign for the next-generation GT-R.

Stylists are playing with the car's proportions, partly to improve driving dynamics and aerodynamics, reveals Shiro Nakamura, Nissan's chief creative officer. A top goal will be boosting the twin-turbo's fuel efficiency.

GT-R fans shouldn't be surprised if the big redesign even gets an electrified drivetrain to make "Godzilla" greener, he adds.

"It's very tough to redesign this car, but we are starting now," Nakamura tells Automotive News. He did not say when the full redesign will appear.

Nissan unveiled the 2017 freshen in March at the New York auto show, the biggest face-lift since the sports car's 2007 debut. Changes include restyled body panels and hood, a redesigned front grille and a slightly lowered dash panel to improve driver visibility.

Nakamura believes the 9-year-old car holds its age well because it's a singular design, borrowing neither from rivals nor fashions.

"To my eye, it still doesn't look old because it's not influenced by anything," he says. "If it tries to capture some trend, it would look dated.

"I think we can change to better proportions -- the width, the height," Nakamura says. "Anything that we change on this car will contribute to better performance, better aero."

The first step will be developing the layout and packaging, he says. And that will hinge largely on what drivetrain is adopted.

Nakamura does not say that the next GT-R definitely will get a hybrid drivetrain, but he says the company must deliver a better-performing sports car that also gets better fuel efficiency.

"Electrification is almost inevitable for any car," he reasons. "If the next-generation GT-R has some electrification, nobody would be surprised at that time."

Automobile news

Got a close up look at a '17 GT-R this week, I think it's the orange one that they used to debut it weeks ago. Have to say I'm not a fan of the steering wheel or the brown interior, but the rest of the car is nice. 👍

Yeah definitely preferred the previous Nismo ones. Funny as i like the standard '17 GTR more than the 2012 version.

@MCNAGTROC : gonna swap yours in? Thanks for sharing 👍

there are parts of it I really like for example the more GT3 inspired lip and some of the interior tweaks but I also think the V motion grill and the blacked out box area around the DRLs is a little busy on that white car ( less of an issue on black) but no I cant really swap mine being its serial #1 more the US (and in the world outside of Japan for that matter) and signed by both Shiro Nakamura and Hiroshi Tamura. its something I will need to hang on to and not to mention the power wasnt increased. if this car would have had a power bump it would have made things a little harder for me

but no I cant really swap mine being its serial #1 outside of Japan and signed by both Shiro Nakamura and Hiroshi Tamura.

That is very cool :bowdown::cheers: That really makes it a keeper :drool:

Like the old interior more, apart from the new steering wheel that I quite like the looks of.

Edit: yes that carbon "box" looks a bit as an aftertaught, less pronounced on the black but still...

That is very cool :bowdown::cheers: That really makes it a keeper :drool:

Like the old interior more, apart from the new steering wheel that I quite like the looks of.

Edit: yes that carbon "box" looks a bit as an aftertaught, less pronounced on the black but still...

I agree it looks like something done last minute but I get why. I think the reason they did that is to in way match the standard GTR aesthetically which features the black "faux vents" around its DRLs. so both cars have a design element around their running lights

i also like the vertical sharp bumper line on my 2015 but since the 2017 regular GTR adopted it I guess they had to change it for the NISMO to make them look different

the lip on the new car is amazing with the shark fins on the outside but those came at the price of them abandoning the cool shark gill vents of my 2015 that came right off the super GT car

CjiVyZ2UgAEKSGt.jpg

Last edited:
I think Nismo dropped the ball on the front grill area. They couldn't have worked the new side-slits from the 2017 base model into the design?!? Seems like a missed opportunity for me.

there are parts of it I really like for example the more GT3 inspired lip and some of the interior tweaks but I also think the V motion grill and the blacked out box area around the DRLs is a little busy on that white car ( less of an issue on black) but no I cant really swap mine being its serial #1 more the US (and in the world outside of Japan for that matter) and signed by both Shiro Nakamura and Hiroshi Tamura. its something I will need to hang on to and not to mention the power wasnt increased. if this car would have had a power bump it would have made things a little harder for me
I wouldn't swap either with that kind of history.

Sounds like yours will be well worth more than nearly any other GT-R in 5 years or so as well.

Do those small lips between the headlights and the carbon box works as downforce ? That part is actually the one thing that i don't like (not that i would be able to afford this anyway).

Still not a fan of the new sat nav screen. The previous interior actually seems classic. Well intergrated. Plus, I dig the steering wheel.

Maybe the new interior will grow on me. It's just the MkI R35 interior looks like Nissan wanted to make it perfect for the car. Anyway, I like the new front splitter.

I don't think the new interior works at all. It doesn't look a patch on the original, which has heaps more personality.

here is the new NISMO in black

again im on the fence about the exposed carbon "box" area but on black it really fixes that as it blends in better

nissan_gtr_nismo_2017_launched_1cd.jpg

I want........:eek::drool:👍 On my birthday coming up in July, NOW!!!

With some gold metallic paint TE37sl would look great on her.

Although the older GTR/Nismos, mostly the MY2012+ look nice, but I'm digging the new version the most, especially the Nismo version. It gives the GT500 GTR looks for a road car, similar to the 911 GT3 RS 991s to an actual RSR and ACR Viper to a GTS-R.

And for a track car with a balance for being used daily and looks like a racecar at the same time is a win in my book. Time to hit the lottery.

Back