The non-muscle American car thread (READ THE OP)

• Thread starter The87Dodge
  • 1,518 comments

In your opinion, which country makes the best looking cars?

• Total voters
But was it actually powered by one? I've read multiple, conflicting accounts, including that it was just a standard Windstar with cosmetic changes.
I only know that it was the idea to have one, I don't know if any of the show cars had it on the count every source I've seen of it so far doesn't mention anything about what engine it's suppose to have. What sources were you looking at?
Saleen, however, built a Windstar "RRR" for Tim Allen with a supercharger on top of the 3.8 V6 that it came with.
That was also weird, but a cool one. and oddly enough, you're not the first person to post that here.

Last edited:
I only know that it was the idea to have one, I don't know if any of the show cars had it on the count every source I've seen of it so far doesn't mention anything about what engine it's suppose to have. What sources were you looking at?
I don't recall where that particular account was from. It was long enough ago that it could have even been in print, as an old magazine. Others have been from the internet but still a long time ago.

Convention is for early concepts to have very little in the way of mechanicals, but that one at least had an existing foundation that could be modified. It's not entirely inconceivable that they actually did a swap--though you'd think they'd have shown it off--but it's a little odd given that the Taurus got a redesign (and the SHO got a V8) only a year after the Windstar came out.

It's not entirely inconceivable that they actually did a swap--though you'd think they'd have shown it off--but it's a little odd given that the Taurus got a redesign (and the SHO got a V8) only a year after the Windstar came out.
Funny you mention that, this drivingline article on cars did mention the redesigned Taurus SHO getting a V8 was primarily why the so called SHO-star didn't make production. https://www.drivingline.com/article...detroit-almost-built-and-what-we-got-instead/

In fairness, it could've been shown off at the time for all we know and noone just paid any mind to post the pictures on the internet. This feels like one of those concept cars that just got overlooked over more interesting things at the time.

Funny you mention that, this drivingline article on cars did mention the redesigned Taurus SHO getting a V8 was primarily why the so called SHO-star didn't make production. https://www.drivingline.com/article...detroit-almost-built-and-what-we-got-instead/

In fairness, it could've been shown off at the time for all we know and noone just paid any mind to post the pictures on the internet. This feels like one of those concept cars that just got overlooked over more interesting things at the time.
Sounds like a BS reason for it to not have made production. There's no meaningful market for that and it's far more likely the bean counters rightly nixed the idea. It's still a minivan. Sure, Dodge had its turbo vans, but the engines were fundamentally the same as those in the standard models.

1980-Monte.JPG

1980-Monte2.jpg

But was it actually powered by one? I've read multiple, conflicting accounts, including that it was just a standard Windstar with cosmetic changes.

Saleen, however, built a Windstar "RRR" for Tim Allen with a supercharger on top of the 3.8 V6 that it came with.

news_2008_saleen_windstar_angle.jpg

news_2008_saleen_windstar_engine.jpg
I wonder if Tim still owns this.

Back