The odds of GT coming to PC

Sony has released its 2020 corporate report and as this article, and many others like it, points out: there will be more Playstation exclusives coming to PC. No further details are given on what franchises may get this treatment but it’s almost certain Horizon Zero Dawn won’t be the last major PS title to make its way to the Windows PC.

Now, Sony has been clear that they don’t intend to follow Microsoft and simply release all their exclusives straight to PC, so there will be some franchises that will make the jump and some that won’t, in order to keep supporting the console hardware.

Where does Gran Turismo stand in this picture? How likely is it that we may, one day, purchase a Gran Turismo title from Steam?

Well, it’s no secret that GT is what is called a ‘system-seller’, with people buying a Playstation just to play the racing game. It’s also the highest-selling Playstation brand in history but, to be fair, it’s also been around longer. In terms of sales in recent years, other titles have shipped more systems than GT.

Sony is unlikely to bring to PC their best system-sellers. Spider-Man, Uncharted and God of War have all sold more than GT. They’ve also sold more than Horizon Zero Dawn which, incidentally, also sold more than GT Sport (launched in the same year). If Horizon Zero Dawn has made its way to PC, speaking strictly sales-wise, GT could do the same as well, to try and gain even more sales.

The PC market is where the most dedicated virtual racers can be found and quality racing games are always welcome. GT has always marketed itself as ‘The Real Driving Simulator’, so it’s definitely interested in dipping its toes, at least a bit, into this crowd. It wouldn’t be able to compete with the likes of rFactor and iRacing in the physics department, but it would leverage its extensive and varied car list, stunning visuals and RPG elements to gain a foothold. It would also go, directly, head-to-head with the only racing game occupying a spot similar to GT’s, on PC: Forza Motorsport.

It’s also interesting to note GT's mouse cursor user interface, which would clearly benefit from the use of mouse and keyboard to navigate.

Of all PS exclusives, GT looks, at least to me, as a more likely candidate than others to be brought over to PC.

But what do you think will happen?

Last edited:
To me, it's a 50% chance.

Well, I guess Sony has their choice to bring whichever IP they want.

Just like back in the early 2000s where Microsoft ported some of their original Xbox games to PC such as RalliSport Challenge and Halo Combat Evolved.

I doubt that any GT game will ever go to PC, it just isn't the right series to launch on PC, even years after launch like with Horizon. I'd say that GT is such a large part of the PlayStation brand (even if lots of players ignore it) that releasing it on PC would just seem wrong. I could see some of the (much) older games being ported, however. A 'Gran Turismo HD' based on GT4 with extra content could work. Maybe something like this, upgraded to 4K with new textures, hopefully keeping the gritty aesthetic of GT4 on the PS2:
  • Gran Turismo4 4/HD Concept base
  • All cars and tracks from GT4
  • Cut cars from GT3 like the Porsche 911 and Lamborghini Diablo, as well as ones that only appeared in that game like the Nissan Z Concept.
  • Cars from GT Concept that never reappeared in the series (by which I mean the Toyota Pod :D)
  • Tracks from GT3 that didn't make it to GT4 like Complex String and Super Speedway (and crucially SSR11).
  • All of the extra cars added in GTPSP.
  • The two new cars from GT5 (Jaguar XFR and Mazda Axela) that were inexplicably Standard cars.
  • Valencia from Tourist Trophy/GTPSP.
  • Cathedral Rocks Trail 3 from GTPSP.
  • Eiger Nordwand?
GT1 hasn't got that many cars in it, so the licenses for the cars could be quite cheap to get again (maybe with some of GT2's more popular cars as well), so a release on mobiles and/or PC could work, but I doubt there'd be any interest in porting a 23-year-old game onto new platforms. At least GT4's engine isn't that far off what is used today in GTS...

Gran Turismo coming to PC sounds a bit absurd, but a possible good move to compete with the more recent Forza titles, which are also PC games. However, Playstation needs to establish the PS Store on PC in order for it to compete with the Microsoft/Steam/Epic Games stores.

If future Gran Turismo titles become PC games, I highly doubt modding will be legal, as it is illegal in Forza.

It always sounds absurd when an established exclusive goes to another platform, initially. Hell, some people went ballistic when Horizon Zero Dawn got rumored for PC, yet it actually happened. But then, it will just become the new normal.

Personally, the more consumer choice, the better.

In my opinion it's very unlikely since GT7 will surely be built on top of what GTS is currently offering. Sony will want to sell PS5's to people wanting to play Gran Turismo with even better graphics.

In my opinion it's very unlikely since GT7 will surely be built on top of what GTS is currently offering. Sony will want to sell PS5's to people wanting to play Gran Turismo with even better graphics.
With the prices rising on the new consoles, Sony dictating what peripherals such as steering wheels, flight controls ect are compatible with the PS, currently requiring a subscription at even more cost to play online, much more limited overall choice of games to play, lack of allowing community mods to make games better or add to the replay value factor I really do not see the reasoning to purchase a new console over building a PC any longer.

Not to mention that the new Nvidia GPU launch reveal yesterday pretty much silenced all the trash talk that the new consoles would be on par graphically with the the pc which we all knew realistically would not be the case.

Even GT is no where near the best actual driving sim available currently unlike the PS1 and PS2 days where it had little real competition.

Sony wanting to keep GT relevant needs to create a better game and make it available cross platform.

No chance. The end. PD is an internal team of Sony granted some independent rights.

No chance. The end. PD is an internal team of Sony granted some independent rights.
Probably a chance. Not the end. Sounds like a good way to bump PD sales up even more, which is a pretty great aspect considering they already sell a lot.

Probably a chance. Not the end. Sounds like a good way to bump PD sales up even more, which is a pretty great aspect considering they already sell a lot.
No chance. Hackers will rip all the cars and tracks put them online for pretty much any other game to add. That would kill any interest in the title for manufacturers.

No chance. Hackers will rip all the cars and tracks put them online for pretty much any other game to add. That would kill any interest in the title for manufacturers.
Probably a chance. Hasn't stopped pretty much any manufacturer for basically any games so far - or do you happen to have a list of manufacturers that backed out of the many PC games that have licensed vehicles that say otherwise? Would be interested in reading that.

Probably a chance. Hasn't stopped pretty much any manufacturer for basically any games so far - or do you happen to have a list of manufacturers that backed out of the many PC games that have licensed vehicles that say otherwise? Would be interested in reading that.

Nope just my opinion. My fault, I should have put that more clearer.

You can already find models from GT ported over to PC sims.

being console exclusive never stop modders from ripping the cars to PC, GT Sports cars is being added to AC now (as posted by Northstar above), FM3 cars was ripped for NFS Most Wanted 2005 and SHIFT 2 back then too.

NFS MW Diablo GTR mod was release 10 years ago, ripping models from console exclusive games is not a recent thing: https://www.nfscars.net/need-for-speed-most-wanted/7/files/view/8814/

It's going to happen, because it's too smart not to happen. GT7 could be the most successful game in the series just being on 3 platforms.

Back