The Photography Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter CDailey
  • 3,605 comments
  • 194,239 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
35.jpg

That shot is epic, I would love to have that on my wall! Very very stunning work. 👍

TVR, I love that first Focus shot. For the VXR did you go into a showroom? I've been considering shooting cars in a showroom for a while now by just asking the manager if he will let me do it, is that what you did?
 
I did go to the show room Moglet.
 
Any advice or reading I should do for photography, I'm using a dSLR to take my pictures.
 
Any advice or reading I should do for photography, I'm using a dSLR to take my pictures.

Browse Wikipedia and Google for understanding the basics such as aperture, shutter, iso, and white balance. From there, browse around Google for the 'rule of thirds'. Should be helpful.
 
'rule of thirds'. Should be helpful.

Good advise, but do any of you guys use the rule of thirds? i must admit i always forget to place the subject so methodically and just snap away. I find taking pics more of a therapeutic pastime and very organic in workflow, i don't think i could be so structured to thinking about all the things i should.
 
Good advise, but do any of you guys use the rule of thirds? i must admit i always forget to place the subject so methodically and just snap away. I find taking pics more of a therapeutic pastime and very organic in workflow, i don't think i could be so structured to thinking about all the things i should.

I try to. It's so easy to snap away without really looking through the viewfinder, and then you see some distraction when you're post-processing. My biggest failing is straight lines. Only tonight I was shooting, and I'd reeled off about five shots at differing exposures before I twigged that my "vertical" was about 20deg off! :grumpy:
 
No, not consciencely anyway. If it looks good, it looks good. The rule of thirds is just a general guide line and it shouldn't apply to everything you take. If you do, all your shots will look textbook and IMO boring.
 
I try to. It's so easy to snap away without really looking through the viewfinder, and then you see some distraction when you're post-processing. My biggest failing is straight lines. Only tonight I was shooting, and I'd reeled off about five shots at differing exposures before I twigged that my "vertical" was about 20deg off! :grumpy:

No, not consciencely anyway. If it looks good, it looks good. The rule of thirds is just a general guide line and it shouldn't apply to everything you take. If you do, all your shots will look textbook and IMO boring.

I also find though that exposure and all manner of technical skills go out the window, I mean i think its the way I have been taught photography, more of an artistic expression than a technical discipline.

My shots (better ones) tend to be more luck than skill.
 
Thanks anti. Pinhole + artsy fartsy + your portrait style = win 👍
 
Here is five photos I took early on:

dscf1277rs1tn9.jpg

dscf1288rs1rm7.jpg

dscf1352rs1jq0.jpg

dscf1298rs1zh8.jpg

dscf1396rs1cu9.jpg
 
I have a lot but here are a few

a003.jpg


a005.jpg


c002.jpg


e001.jpg


j003.jpg


j007.jpg


k003.jpg


EDSC_2967.jpg


EDSC_3101.jpg


EDSC_3117_.jpg


EDSC_3151.jpg
 
Although the rule of thirds tends to be criticized as being too strong of a law to follow, there are a lot of natural aesthetic tendencies that coincide with the number three that you can't ignore the fact altogether. Size relationship, distance and composition all rely so hard on the relativity of third (or close-to) relationships, that you can't really ignore the digit in all of your "natural feel" photos. Just take a moment to take in some random pictures where there are elements that, combined, create movement, harmony and tension, all because of their relationship with one another and that association with thirds. It's not written in books, it's just where your eyes goes and from where it creates meaning and form.
 
Here is a nature shot
IMG_0848.jpg


In love with my car

DSC_2097.jpg
 
mix of both nature and car
DSC_4294.jpg


and some night photos
DSC_4443.jpg


DSC_1305.jpg


DSC_1899_1.jpg


DSC_1950.jpg


DSC_1942.jpg
 
That Diablo has Zonda Exhausts :eek:
 
There was a Diablo in that shot?
 
There was a Diablo in that shot?

No Sorry, There was one on the previous page and I didnt realise there was another page of posts. I mean this one:
k003.jpg
 
There's a car in ^ shot?. I only see legs :D, miles of legs :drool:

AMG.
 
the guys in red shirts arent interested in the car either :lol:
 
OOOhhhhh Tim Hortons' coffee :)
 
Some pics I dug up from back when I still had my schools D70s

Ligthing.jpg


DSC_1980-2.jpg


CenterFade.jpg


587.jpg
 
Is it sad that's one of the first things I noticed? I guess that's what happens when you're a Canadian.

I noticed it, then thought why is it on the Diablo, then I thought it was floating, then I saw the arm, then the lady.
 
163.jpg


82.jpg



121.jpg



207.jpg


02.jpg




01.jpg



my niece
_mg_0085.jpg


064.jpg
 
spock and derrict nice shots
 
jumper

We have a winner. It's because the knees overlap that this shot works so well.
 
Hah, look at the guy towards the upper left.
Look at her arms...
 
she needs a hamburger
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back