The Photography Thread

• Thread starter CDailey
  • 3,605 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
hk192of205kh3.jpg

hk193of205gd2.jpg

Some truly awesome shots throughout this thread. Great work, guys. 👍

I was thinking of uploading some of mine, recently got a digital camera (Canon PowerShot SX100IS) and I'm still learning to mess with the settings.
I have a Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 5 with some filters and an extra Tamron 100-300mm that I bought separately a few years ago, but unfortunately don't have a scanner for the printed pics I have.

So, I was wondering, is it "allowed" to rework the pics on Photoshop a bit to make them stand out more? The ones from the digital camera, I mean. Nothing major, only things like cropping, resizing, and a few tweaks here and there to improve the overall image and the mood I want the pic to set.

Thanks, guys. 👍

Awesome pics guys! Love the work. Here's a shot I got tonight, no photoshop. Thought the color was interesting.

image_13.jpg

Some truly awesome shots throughout this thread. Great work, guys. 👍

I was thinking of uploading some of mine, recently got a digital camera (Canon PowerShot SX100IS) and I'm still learning to mess with the settings.
I have a Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 5 with some filters and an extra Tamron 100-300mm that I bought separately a few years ago, but unfortunately don't have a scanner for the printed pics I have.

So, I was wondering, is it "allowed" to rework the pics on Photoshop a bit to make them stand out more? The ones from the digital camera, I mean. Nothing major, only things like cropping, resizing, and a few tweaks here and there to improve the overall image and the mood I want the pic to set.

Thanks, guys. 👍

Yeah, that's allowed. :) Post away.

wow f1, just wow.

GTR, the jellyfish shots are breathtaking. Best shots in the last couple dozen pages.

At the London aquarium?

Thanks guys! :D

The shots were taken at Ocean Park, Hong Kong. They have a huge jellyfish display area filled with coloured and UV lights. It's amazing looking at tubes filled with hundreds of small jellyfish while the lights change colour.

yes it expires its just a beta test, the full program costs money, less than photoshop though.

to get that effect crank recovery, fill light and clarity to 100, blacks I put at 51 contrast 73 saturation -70 vibrance +40 vignet amount -100, midpoint 50

that was the basics, just tweak from there =)

Oh man that's sweet. Thanks for the tips:

132-1.jpg

Yeah, that's allowed. :) Post away.

Cool, thanks. 👍

Ok, here are my first experiments with the digital world of photography.
They're mostly experiments, but any feedback and criticism is welcome.

10062io2.jpg

10052bi0.jpg

10172xd5.jpg

10192ll7.jpg

10152tr5.jpg

Thanks, guys. :)

Been experimenting with angles for car shoots, spotted this beautful 1929 beauford coupe just parked up so i had to have a go.

img3192cr2.jpg

img3189hw6.jpg

I got the owners business number (wedding car company) and have been invited to the garage to see the other (6+, including a 1929 Beauford convertible)

In similar spirit to the last shot, I messed around in Lightroom again with another shot I took of the same Porsche. This one has far warmer tones and overall has a different feel from post p.

304-2.jpg

That streetlamp reflection is kindof unfortunate. Makes it look like there's a scratch on the hood.
I don't mind the reflection in the bonnet. In fact, I'm more put off by the one in the windscreen.

In similar spirit to the last shot, I messed around in Lightroom again with another shot I took of the same Porsche. This one has far warmer tones and overall has a different feel from post p.

304-2.jpg

There's a good chance I was walking by when that shot was taken. I've also been seeing that Porsche around a lot.

I'm usually not a fan of that kind of editing but you're doing it really well.

There's a good chance I was walking by when that shot was taken. I've also been seeing that Porsche around a lot.

I'm usually not a fan of that kind of editing but you're doing it really well.

It was the 11th of March. He parks in the Queen West area every day so I see it all of the time. Today he was in a lot on Richmond just west of Spadines. I took some shots but I still have to take a look at Lr to see if they'll work.

Looking for feedback on my shots. The post production isn't so important, I need composition and colour critique on static automotive photography. I like shooting Audis, they don't have bad angles and the simple shape and form doesn't protrude with wider lenses.

402.jpg

401.jpg

403.jpg

so i don't know how far the bravo channel goes out to, but i know it's big up here in canadaland. they're hosting photography month starting may 4th. i've been going through and highlighting the dates, so i figured i would post them up here to those that want to catch something.

may 4th
6:00pm
Territories (E) 2007
This one-hour documentary profiles Canadian photographer Larry Towell and his work in the Middle East, Mexico and Canada. Towell is the only Canadian photographer with membership in the legendary Magnum Photos agency, an international collective of photojournalists well-known for its humanist and universal approach.

7:00pm (watch this, ed burtynsky is amazing.)
Arts & Minds EP: 298 (E)
This special photography episode features renowned Canadian landscape photographer Ed Burtynsky; New York-based Canadian celebrity photographer Chris Buck; Canadian award-winning art photographer Jeff Wall; and commercial photographer Jill Greenberg.

may 7th
7:30pm
repeat of arts and minds with edward.

may 11th
The Many Faces of Arnaud Maggs (E) 2002
Documentary examining the life and work of Montreal-born Arnaud Maggs, an artist who gave up a successful commercial career to become a portrait photographer. Maggs has captured such Canadian notables as Leonard Cohen, Irving Layton and Karen Kain with his lens.

may 12th
9:00am
The Artist's Life EP: 4/04 Charles Pachter (E) 2007
An engaging profile of an extraordinary Canadian artist and his/her creative process. This episode features artist Charles Pachter as he works in his studios and takes photographs of ducks in Lake Simcoe.

may 14th
8:30pm
Behind the Camera EP: 101 Scott Chalmers/Carolyn Djanogly (E) 2007
Series exploring the emotional and contentious relationship between photographers and their varied subjects. This episode features photographers Scott Chalmers, Carolyn Djanogly and Carl Hiebert.

9:00pm (watch this)
The True Meaning of Pictures (E) 2002
Intriguing film which addresses the issue of representation in documentary photography by examining the work of American photographer Shelby Lee Adams, who has captured Appalachian "mountain people" on film for 30 years.

10:30pm
Abbas in Iran (E) 2005
Iranian film-maker Seyyed Mohammed Sadzadeh documents the cultural, social and political life in Iran as he films Abbas, a Magnum photographer who is taking photographs for feature articles and the book "IranDiary 1971-2002."

may 15th
basically a repeat of the 14th,
abbas in iran at 5:30pm, true meaning of pictures at 4:00pm

may 18th
Eye on the Guy (E) 2006
Documentary detailing Montreal photographer Alan B. Stone's pioneering efforts in the 1950s and 1960s to transform the male image in popular culture with his stylish male physique photographs. :|

may 21st
8:30pm
Behind the Camera EP: 102 Helen Tansey/Michael Mitchell (E) 2007
Series exploring the emotional and contentious relationship between photographers and their varied subjects. This episode features photographers Helen Tansey, Michael Mitchell and Jose Lagman.

may 22nd
same as yesterday, but at 9am

everything else from the 23rd on apparently doesn't exist.

Opinions saught here folks... I took this shot in Edinburgh:

5d-1616.jpg

5d/24-70L @ 24mm. 1/25 @ F/8 ISO 500

And after processing, ended up with this:

20080422190837_5d-1616-edit.jpg

So I applied the following settings in Lightroom:
Shadow Tones: +100
Dark Tones: +2
Highlight Tones: +43
Light Tones: +52

Then into Photoshop, for a graduated ND (Brightness -79, begins at the horizon), some spot healing and cloning out the roof in the top left,.

A couple of questions:

- Do you like it?
- Does it look too HDR-ish? And if so, is that a bad thing?
- Am I just polishing a turd here?

- Do you like it?
- Does it look too HDR-ish? And if so, is that a bad thing?
- Am I just polishing a turd here?

-Not particularly.
-No, you got it really good with the levels in Lightroom. It is easy to go nuts, but you've got it good.
-This is why I don't really like the photograph. It looks like a point-and-shoot out of a window somewhere. The chimney section to the left only amplifies that (but it is good you deleted the upper window bit). If the chimney weren't there, your picture would have improved a lot, then pulling out a little more to get the foremost buildings' facades visible would be great.

Couple from today. Still working on the static car stuff. The big tax return is coming soon, so that 10-20 Sigma Ultrawide will help out a lot too.

505.jpg

506-1.jpg

601.jpg

Motorsport last weekend: chance to break out the long'uns. Here's a sample:
20080430065402_5d-2794-edit.jpg

And here's the gallery of the day.

good panning skills!!! I specially liked the one with the blue MGB behind the grass, some good shots there man (: dramatic even with the light as strong, you also fared really well with white, damn white cars are difficult to gt well, you used any filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back