The Physical Training Thread

blindsidefive0
Seems like this has come up in a few threads, so I figured it's time for a dedicated one here. It's early in the competition, but some of the top ranked drivers are already thinking about physical conditioning for Silverstone.

How about we get this started (all fields optional):
- Age (it's a repeat, but relevant)
- Height
- Weight
- Current physical condition
- What are you doing to train/physical goals?

5'7 6"
Pretty good shape - I was a cross country runner in high school, and have been an avid skier for 20 years. I'm also coming off a flag football championship...in Madden my speed would be like a 97...
I will keep up my 3-4 workouts/week, and probably introduce a little more cardio/neck (maybe start wearing my helmet around town?)/core work if I still have a chance after round 2/3.

5'8"
152 lbs
Currently I do Olympic distance triathlons, so I run, bike, or swim 4-6 days a week depending on my schedule. I can race my lemons car for over an hour in an endurance race and barely break a sweat (unless its super hot out) or drink much of my water so I'm not concerned about my conditioning for this too much. There is a great book called "Fit for Motorsport" out there that has some great exercises if you're serious.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1859608760/?tag=gtplanet-20

That said I'm way behind so far in the rankings so I don't think this will matter so much.

21, 6'3", 185lb

Current physical condition: "winter mode" (chubby, lazy, and fully enjoying all the treats associated with the holiday season)

And there's not a chance I'll be making it to the finals. My goal is to make it to round 3 and get a copy of the GT5 collector's edition.

- Age (31)
- Height (5'10'')
- Weight (135)
- Current physical condition (average)
- What are you doing to train/physical goals?
When I was younger I was very fit playing basketball 4 hours a day over the summer and doing competitive swimming and track during high school. It's very easy for my body to bounce back to that level of fitness, odd really it's almost impossible for me to gain weight and keep it on.
Last year I spent 3 months working out 4 times a week and got myself back up to my fit weight of 145 but now it's all melted off. The body just wants to be what it wants to be. So I wasn't going to worry too much about strength training until things get serious around February. I may get my cardio up a little though since my wife picked up an eliptical machine a few months ago that I have yet to play with.

5'10''
average

Right now I'm mainly lifting for size and strength rather than focusing on cardio. My goal weight is around 175. Of course, if I were to make it to the final 16, I would bust my ass doing cardio. I would mainly do running, specifically the distance of the silverstone track. :P

5'10"
Athletic but can say I've entered a little winter mode like gman

I'm on the cycling team at UGA, run about 5 miles every other day along with weight lifting for endurance rather than strength. I swim in the warm months. Used to do Ranger Challenge training at my old university, and incorporate some of those workouts into my schedule now.

Goal is to burn calories, eat healthy, gain more muscle mass, and push my body beyond its limits.

5'6"
Athletic, but my left knee has a problem and I'm also in winter mode.

I did tennis, cross country, and track over the years. I did boxing for a year too.

I'm not concerned. If I ever make it to the other rounds, I'll easily whip myself back in shape in a matter of two weeks.

Ok so the average weight of the 7 people who have posted so far is 156 lbs. Like WTF?! I thought gamers were supposed to be obese and out of shape! Im 222 lbs, you guys are gonna smoke me in the go-kart race. Im gonna look like Donkey Kong out there. Maybe they'll give me some banana peels and green shells to help me keep up. =D

impact-radio-control-mario-kart-donkey-kong.jpg

5772_236070415176_769860176_8116545_3529296_n.jpg

Ok so the average weight of the 7 people who have posted so far is 156 lbs. Like WTF?! I thought gamers were supposed to be obese and out of shape!
A lot of pro gamers are not obese. I guess physical fitness really does help boost your reaction times.

6' 2"
235lbs

I used to be very athletic in high school, as I was in ROTC.
So most of my weight is muscle.

But I've been in 'winter' mode for the last 2 years, so I might have to start training if I think I will make it to the finals.

But, I dont think that will happen, seeing as my overall place across all the regions is currently only 247th.

And Hunk, most of the guys that posted so far are all runners, which usually means skinny, unlike us :P

Height. : 5'5"
Weight : 142lbs

I'm an ex wrestler, track, and cross country runner. Pretty decent shape now that I've started playing basketball regularly. I've done auto-x and drift events all day long with no problem. The great thing about my build is that I can easily shed off 20 pounds(at least) to go into "jockey mode" lol.

5'11"

Not in awful shape, but not ready to put down a good 5k time at the moment. Was in good shape at the beginning of the year, but work stress has taken its toll.

If I pass the second round, I'll quit smoking and hit the gym again - work can screw off. Judging by the '08 academy videos, the physical requirements aren't that tough. Heck that puffy taxi driver made it all the way through. 3 hours in a kart, even those slow a** rental ones they used in the show is kinda tough, but doable if you're in any kind of shape.

If you can survive a 5k and do more than a few pullups in a row you should be fine. Fitness is trainable, driving talent is less so ;) Don't forget this is the US version so physical expectations will probably be lower than Europe, lol.

5'9''

I was in pathetic shape about a month ago. I have since started going to the gym 4-5 times a week. Already dropped 6 pounds, so I am pretty excited about it. Now I am beginning to diet pretty well. Eating rabbit food a little too much for my liking but hey I want to get to 185 eventually. I am also starting to get back into being a ice hockey goalie. I will be playing up to 3 nights a week, so that should help too. I just love the gym I'm at, good people in a good atmosphere!

5'11"

Until a few years ago, I was close to 300 pounds but now I'm in the best shape of my life. Still, my stamina is at or below average and I lack upper body strength. However, I've always had quite a bit of muscle in my legs. I go to the gym three times a week trying to mix in some treadmill running with some light to moderate weight lifting.

Ok so the average weight of the 7 people who have posted so far is 156 lbs. Like WTF?! I thought gamers were supposed to be obese and out of shape! Im 222 lbs, you guys are gonna smoke me in the go-kart race. Im gonna look like Donkey Kong out there. Maybe they'll give me some banana peels and green shells to help me keep up. =D

impact-radio-control-mario-kart-donkey-kong.jpg

5772_236070415176_769860176_8116545_3529296_n.jpg

Yep 5kg in go karts is about 2 seconds extra a lap on a 25second lap.

No "man" over 5 foot tall should weigh less than 150lbs some of yall need to either hit the gym or quit eating like anorexic teenage girls.

5'6"
180lbs

Hes talking to you SLAPHAPPY! Btw nice job on the Project Blackjack drift vid. I met Evo and Landin in New York for the Audi tourney.

6'1"
200 lbs.

Getting in better shape day by day - a lot of my weight is muscle but I too have been in "winter mode" for close to 2 years. Can still run a sub 5 second 40 though...

Just as a suggestion to everyone, it seems a lot of people here are in some sort of decent shape. In my experience Cardio is the #1 thing that helps in racing. Running especially puts your body through a decent beating, and when you're in the car youre muscles are more used to the shaking and bumping that goes on. It helps you to ignore all that and concentrate on the task at hand.

If you're serious about racing you should be working towards getting out to run distance, 5 miles or so every other day is a start, mix in some light days (2 mile jogs) and an occasional track workout (8x400m, 6x800m, etc). These are some of the best workouts for racing. Then get yourself to the gym as well, stay away from squats and too much lower body activity, but targeted bicep, tricep, and forearm workouts are good, Shoulders and neck are important as well. The best workout is to pick up a plate (start with like 10lbs) and turn it back and forth standing up and also laying on your back, like you're turning a steering wheel. do that like 3 sets of 25 to start.

Finally SPIN CLASS. You may think its for women, but theres plenty of men that go, its really a killer combo workout and really puts you through a ringer (if you have the right instructor). Plus theres usually good looking women to meet there hehe.

No "man" over 5 foot tall should weigh less than 150lbs some of yall need to either hit the gym or quit eating like anorexic teenage girls.

5'6"
180lbs
Its in the genes Iam affraid. Both my mom and dads family are all skinny. Iam sure when I get old it'll catch up to me big time since I eat all of the time. I've even drank weight gainers, protein bars, and still didnt gain any. :crazy:
The weird thing is in middle school I was what you would call fluffy.:lol:

Hes talking to you SLAPHAPPY! Btw nice job on the Project Blackjack drift vid. I met Evo and Landin in New York for the Audi tourney.
Thanks, I couldnt do the Audi thing since I wasnt 21 until 8 days after the event.:crazy: Ill be in Orlando tho.:sly:

5" 10"
Currently in Good Shape.

I'm on the Cal Poly SLO Triathlon team and have been training for 2 months now, and am going to ramp up into 9 practices a week this upcoming quarter to prepare for race season. In my opinion, the balance of 85% cardio and 15% strength training of core/upper body is the best to follow when faced with the task of driving an actual car. You need strength but if you are getting tired in the car, then everything suffers.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but over the last few weeks since GT5 was released, I've been spending numerous hours staring fixedly into my TV screen. Accordingly, I've been taking special precautions to protect, strengthen and keep my eyes healthy. I believe it's particularly important to go outside daily and go for a long walk, focusing your eyes on infinity, the middle distance, and closer objects, alternatively.

Respectfully,
Dotini

Its in the genes Iam affraid. Both my mom and dads family are all skinny. Iam sure when I get old it'll catch up to me big time since I eat all of the time. I've even drank weight gainers, protein bars, and still didnt gain any.

I hear ya. I weighed around 120 for a long time before I started working out and eating everything in sight. Unfortunately some of the weight I'm carrying around may be attributed to my beer drinking :P

Its in the genes Iam affraid. Both my mom and dads family are all skinny. Iam sure when I get old it'll catch up to me big time since I eat all of the time. I've even drank weight gainers, protein bars, and still didnt gain any. :crazy:
The weird thing is in middle school I was what you would call fluffy.:lol:

Thanks, I couldnt do the Audi thing since I wasnt 21 until 8 days after the event.:crazy: Ill be in Orlando tho.:sly:

Be happy it is in the genes. At 22 I was an "unmanly" 150lbs. Ate anything and everything, never gained weight - could get back up to fitness after a very short time. fast forward 20 years and I have to work hard to stay at 185lb - and can easily slip back to 230+lbs without even trying. It takes careful eating and hardwork - so enjoy those "genes" while you still can ;)

Not in the top top here but figured I'd give my input.
24 next month
5'11
170ish

I was 185+ around July 4th, and dropped 20 pounds doing P90X and a strict diet and tons of willpower. Got back up to 175 but of muscle, and the past 2 months i turded it up and didn't do crap but eat like a pig and now im 170 and lost some solid muscle. If you guys need a quick way to get in shape, I kid you not, look into P90X, you need some willpower, but it will get you ripped, its no lie, also protein supplements help! Don't skimp out on the cardio either! Good luck to the top guys!

I'm not anywhere near the top at the moment, but I also have been deliberately staying away from GT Academy for a few days so that I can better gauge how many seconds I'll need to chop off to get to round 2. It seems in 5 days I dropped from 100th place to 150th in my region.

My physical condition right now is crap:
25 yo
5' 10"
~185 lb

Over this past year I've put on around 30lb. In the coming months I'm going to get rid of at least half that to get back to a more normal weight for me and also build up my cardio endurance which has never been good (If I can just get onto a routine and stay on it...).

5'9"

I'm about 10lbs over my ideal weight, a weight I haven't had since I was 19 years old and in boot camp. I went into boot camp at 150 and came out 162 from muscle mass and then gained a bit more because of my slowing metabolism and diet. Before I lost my job and winter set in I was 166. I still work out twice a week and cycle or run 3 times a week, but my diet is limiting my gains right now.

I'll get way more serious if it looks like I have a real shot at the final 16. I'm an outdoors athletic person, just haven't been on the ball lately, but could definitely shed some pounds and get serious if needed.

Latest Posts

Back