The poor car PD forgot about (Ferrari 288 GTO)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Amac500
  • 60 comments
  • 7,812 views
The BMW M1 also!

A car that is missed in GT6... :(

This way

BmwM1_5.jpg


or that way...

bmw-m1-hommage_01.jpg
 
The 288GTO was not built for gravel rally, it was built for tarmac stages and for the track side of group B regulations (that never came to fruition).

While Group B is now almost exclusively known for its rally classification, what most people are either unaware of or have forgotten is that is was also going to be a track classification as well. Its for this track classification that the 288 was destined, and the 959 was originally designed.
That's interesting, though the 959 did compete in the dirt but Porsche didn't commit to a full season because Porsche was so far behind the others. It did win Dakar though. That's interesting about the Ferrari 288 though, and it makes a lot of sense to because I had always wondered why Ferrari would go for the MR layout when it hadn't been used since the Lancia 037 and was proven to be outdated by the 4WD cars.
 
Last edited:
The 959 entered the Paris Dakar, it never entered a WRC event.
 
If I had a 288GTO the dirt would be the last place I'd have it.
Pssh, Enzo Ferrari would be disappointed that you wouldn't use his rally car!
 
No, but this might've done alright

museum38-porsche-959-paris-dakar.jpg
It's a crying shame that even with all the games over the years that have featured Porsche not a single one has had 911 and 959 rally cars. I'll never understand how developers could ignore such an incredible racing history. EA's just letting it go to waste. I'd take the car in that picture over a 918 in a heartbeat.
 
The 959 entered the Paris Dakar, it never entered a WRC event.
It never contested a full season but I think it entered a rally or 2, but Porsche designed it for Group B but never committed to a full WRC program once they figured out how off they were from the other cars. If I remember from the BBC documentary I saw on Group B I believe that was the case. It was originally designed for Group B though.
 
That's interesting, though the 959 did compete in the dirt but Porsche didn't commit to a full season because Porsche was so far behind the others. It did win Dakar though. That's interesting about the Ferrari 288 though, and it makes a lot of sense to because I had always wondered why Ferrari would go for the MR layout when it hadn't been used since the Lancia 037 and was proven to be outdated by the 4WD cars.
It never contested a full season but I think it entered a rally or 2, but Porsche designed it for Group B but never committed to a full WRC program once they figured out how off they were from the other cars. If I remember from the BBC documentary I saw on Group B I believe that was the case. It was originally designed for Group B though.

The 959 (like the 288GTO) was original destined for the track side of Group B, which is why when teh switch to gravel happened for the 959 is was further behind, then Group B got canned and the Dakar was a logical move.

I've always had a soft spot for Group B as it was around at the time I was a teenager, still my earliest memory is watching Mk1 and 2 Escorts from my dad's shoulders during the RAC Rally of GB.
 


This car was the Le Mans version which did compete and was bloody quick with the 956/962 engine! Both this and the rally version would be epic!!!
 
The 959 is the only reason I care about GT getting the Porsche license at all :(
 
The 959 (like the 288GTO) was original destined for the track side of Group B, which is why when teh switch to gravel happened for the 959 is was further behind, then Group B got canned and the Dakar was a logical move.

I've always had a soft spot for Group B as it was around at the time I was a teenager, still my earliest memory is watching Mk1 and 2 Escorts from my dad's shoulders during the RAC Rally of GB.

Yeah Group B is hard not to fall in love with. I wasn't around when it was happening but have really got into it the past 6 months or so and have completely fell for it. To me they are the most awe inspiring cars of all time and what they accomplished is just off the board (I'm fairly certain a Ford RS200 Evo could bet a Bugatti Veyron in a 1/4 mile drag race). Internet resources have been surprisingly hard to find on the subject so thanks, I'll have to dive into it a little more!
 
Yeah Group B is hard not to fall in love with. I wasn't around when it was happening but have really got into it the past 6 months or so and have completely fell for it. To me they are the most awe inspiring cars of all time and what they accomplished is just off the board (I'm fairly certain a Ford RS200 Evo could bet a Bugatti Veyron in a 1/4 mile drag race). Internet resources have been surprisingly hard to find on the subject so thanks, I'll have to dive into it a little more!
May I recommend...


http://www.dukevideo.com/prd3987/Too-Fast-to-Race-Still-to-Fast-to-Race-2-Disc-Set
 
No Ferrari 355 makes salty liquid flow from my eyes. Help?
 
The 288GTO was not built for gravel rally, it was built for tarmac stages and for the track side of group B regulations (that never came to fruition).

While Group B is now almost exclusively known for its rally classification, what most people are either unaware of or have forgotten is that is was also going to be a track classification as well. Its for this track classification that the 288 was destined, and the 959 was originally designed.


After reading the posts about the 288 being build for rally, I was thinking I'd somehow managed to be on the recieving end of a 'glass pipe'! What the hell were all you thinking of saying it was built for rally? Group B classification spanned a whole lot more than rally. In the UK the BTCC had Group B, the 650hp RS500's from Andy Rouse, Rob Gravett and the occasional appearance of Win Percy in a Nissan Skyline.
 
Thanks I'll have to check that out!

As far as the Porsche goes, could there be a little confusion between the 959 and 961? The picture of the Porsche that won its class at Le Mans was designated the 961 while the Dakar winning car was designate the 959. I think I read online that the 959 was always designed for dirt. Could the 961 be what was intended for Group B road racing? Also I've heard a lot of times about the Ferrari 288 GTO supposedly being ready to compete in 1987 had the category continued on?
 
Thanks I'll have to check that out!

As far as the Porsche goes, could there be a little confusion between the 959 and 961? The picture of the Porsche that won its class at Le Mans was designated the 961 while the Dakar winning car was designate the 959. I think I read online that the 959 was always designed for dirt. Could the 961 be what was intended for Group B road racing? Also I've heard a lot of times about the Ferrari 288 GTO supposedly being ready to compete in 1987 had the category continued on?
The 959 was always headed for the track first and foremost (the DVDs I linked to cover both the 959, 288GTO and 288GTO Evo), switching to gravel when Group B track failed to take off (which was prior to the end of Group B WRC). The 961 was simply a more focused development of the 959 for Le Mans.
 
Both the 288 GTO and the F40 were Group B cars. The 288 GTO was built for the special stages of tarmac rallying (building on the reputation acquired by the 308 in the french and italian championships). The F40 was clearly built for tracks, group B, as Scaff pointed out, covered both sports cars and rallying. Before that, group 4 was the pinnacle of rallying, groups 5 and 6 were for sports cars racing. Groups 4 and 5 were replaced by B, Group 6 was replaced by C.
 
I see nobody has mentioned that the rev counter doesnt work....
Did they fix it yet? I have been doing IB events that the 288 GTO can't enter.
 
I see nobody has mentioned that the rev counter doesnt work....

It's been mentioned three times. :lol:

And they still need to fix the broken rev counter on it -_-
You forgot to mention the screwed up rev counter that only goes between 800-1200 rpm in interior view
And the Speedo needs to be adjusted, it says that your driving 40km faster than the the real speed.
But maybe that's the way it works for real 2, being an old ferrari.:lol:
 
Both the 288 GTO and the F40 were Group B cars.

That's incorrect. The F40 wasn't a Group B car and was never indended to be raced by Ferrari. Many pressume the car was born from the 288 GTO and although it has some DNA from that car, it is the Evoluzione model of the 288 where you'll find it's direct predecessor. When you look at that car, you can instantly see where the F40's design ethics were born.

The F40 was the car Enzo himself wanted to leave as his legacy (he knew by '87 he was deteriotaing and did not have much more time left). The fact that Group B had been canceled at the end of '86 meant Ferrari had a lot of lost development for it's proposed Group B entrant. Rather than let all that R&D go to waste, the programme was toned down (the GTO Evo had 650hp, suspension and brakes more suited to road use), refined (body & aerodynamics etc) and made more reliable (less power, bigger displacement & improved drivetrain).

F40 was purely designed as a road car, the ultimate road car. A road car that had no power assisted steering, no power assisted brakes, no radio, no interior to speak of (not even a door handle, although it did have A/C) and no clever electronic handling devices. The first versions didn't even have wind down windows, just a sliding piece of perspex found on most racecars of the time.

It achieved this and can never be done again. Newer legislation for car manufacturers means creating a modern car like the F40 would be illegal to put it on the road. That's why I and many others, both enthusiast and professional, regard the F40 as the greatest sports car that has ever been made, and ever will be made.
 
Last edited:
Wrong thread sorry
 
Last edited:
This car was the Le Mans version which did compete and was bloody quick with the 956/962 engine! Both this and the rally version would be epic!!!
I just recently watched chriss harris video on youtube driving this monster!
(you probably already seen this,but still fun to watch!)

 
@perdy450 Was taking about the 961, not the 962. The 961 was a 4WD 959 based racer with a 962 engine.
 
I was telling @DonJo76 that you wee talking about the 961 as he posted a vid of the 962.
 
The white and blue car in the smoke at the end of the vid. It's F40, and if I'm not mistaken is of the Michelotto GTE variety. The rarest and fastest of F40's.

Quite possibly.

'Tax the rich' are the Jon Hunt and his son, Harry - Jon reportedly sold sold Foxtons estate agents for £370 million and Harry is a fairly handy driver, having done a fair amount of rally driving 👍
 
Back