The Porsche Curves Challenge

• Thread starter ederss7
  • 20 comments
The Porsche Curves have always fascinated me. This section of corners is a driver's favourite and is considered a challenge for all drivers. By The Porsche Curves I mean the whole section of corners, starting from the first right hander to the last left hander, also called Corvette corner.
The challenge is: can you beat the astonishing average speed of 270,4 km/h (168mi, which means a time of 15,017s) set by the R18 e-tron quattro in 2013?
Looking the data from this site (http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/) we have an idea of where the speeds are recorded through the section; it starts just before the first right hander and ends just after the last left hander. The fastest average speed is that one I posted above: 270,4 km/h in 15,017s.
Obviously it's impossible to know exactly which average speed you're doing through the whole section in the game. This video is the best reference I've found on Youtube, watch at the 9min mark (lap 12):
In this video the average speed (lap 12) was 264,7 km/h (164,5mi in 15,329s). Taking it as reference I've come to these reference speeds:
-The first right must be done in 265-270 km/h (164,7-168mi);
-Then you go flat out through the next two left handers reaching approximately 280 km/h (174mi);
-Now the trickiest part: the transition between the second left and the long right. You must keep the momentum here and stay on the right as much as you can. You probably need to carry a speed of approximately 260 km/h (161,6mi) through the long right before the off camber left hander;
-The last one: some speed of at least 245 km/h (152,17mi).
Some reference times for the cars in the game (from the FIA site):
Fastest average of the 2011 R18 TDI: 262,2 km/h-163mi in 15,604s during the race in 2011;
Fastest average of the 2012 Toyota TS030: 256,6 km/h-159,48mi in 15,819s during Q3 in 2012. The R18 ultra set an average of 267,6 km/h-166,3 mi during the race in he same year;
In 2014: 265,7 km/h-165,1mi set by the R18 e-tron quattro during the race;
In 2015: 267,4 km/h-166,1mi set by the R18 e-tron quattro during the race;
In 2016: 258,9 km/h-160,9mi set by the R18 during the test day; no data from the race;
In 2017: 261,6 km/h-162,58mi set by the 919 during Q2; Koba's all time lap record surprisingly didn't have the fastest average in 2017. You can find more info in the FIA site I posted above.
I'm pretty sure this a good challenge for DS4 users, not sure about wheel users though. Have fun!

The Porsche Curves have always fascinated me. This section of corners is a driver's favourite and is considered a challenge for all drivers. By The Porsche Curves I mean the whole section of corners, starting from the first right hander to the last left hander, also called Corvette corner.
The challenge is: can you beat the astonishing average speed of 270,4 km/h (168mi, which means a time of 15,017s) set by the R18 e-tron quattro in 2013?
Looking the data from this site (http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/) we have an idea of where the speeds are recorded through the section; it starts just before the first right hander and ends just after the last left hander. The fastest average speed is that one I posted above: 270,4 km/h in 15,017s.
Obviously it's impossible to know exactly which average speed you're doing through the whole section in the game. This video is the best reference I've found on Youtube, watch at the 9min mark (lap 12):
In this video the average speed (lap 12) was 264,7 km/h (164,5mi in 15,329s). Taking it as reference I've come to these reference speeds:
-Then you go flat out through the next two left handers reaching approximately 280 km/h (174mi);
-Now the trickiest part: the transition between the second left and the long right. You must keep the momentum here and stay on the right as much as you can. You probably need to carry a speed of approximately 260 km/h (161,6mi) through the long right before the off camber left hander;
Fastest average of the 2011 R18 TDI: 262,2 km/h-163mi in 15,604s during the race in 2011;
Fastest average of the 2012 Toyota TS030: 256,6 km/h-159,48mi in 15,819s during Q3 in 2012. The R18 ultra set an average of 267,6 km/h-166,3 mi during the race in he same year;
In 2016: 258,9 km/h-160,9mi set by the R18 during the test day; no data from the race;
In 2017: 261,6 km/h-162,58mi set by the 919 during Q2; Koba's all time lap record surprisingly didn't have the fastest average in 2017. You can find more info in the FIA site I posted above.
I'm pretty sure this a good challenge for DS4 users, not sure about wheel users though. Have fun!

Ummm, he cut the turn right before the start. PENALTY!

K32
@ederss7 does this beat the challenge? Gr.1 with tyre wear and BoP.

I think he missed it by just 0,2/0,3s. Hard tyres are enough for the first right and the next two left handers, but for the long right it loses a lot of grip. The "secret" of beating the 270 km/h average is exactly on that long right corner.

The track was modified slightly this year I think in the porsche curves area. Eurosport coverage mentioned the track was I think 3m shorter and they added a fair chunk of run off area so if you screwed up it wasnt straight into the barriers. So they could carry more speed through there safely this year and I assume one of the corners was straightened a fraction.

Thats a really strange camera view, it must be mounted quite far foward on the car, it almost looks like the car is spinning out in tight radius corners.

K32
@ederss7 does this beat the challenge? Gr.1 with tyre wear and BoP.

Nice driving but if you take into consideration the current track ALLOWABLE non penalty limits then just about every corner he goes through will add an additional 2-6 seconds worth of penalties to his lap time so those times at the track limits as currently set are bogus and with penalties added would be much closer to 4:00 minutes.

Hard to claim any type of fast times when by the rules you are cutting just about every corner on the circuit beyond the allowable legal limits.

Nice driving but if you take into consideration the current track ALLOWABLE non penalty limits then just about every corner he goes through will add an additional 2-6 seconds worth of penalties to his lap time so those times at the track limits as currently set are bogus and with penalties added would be much closer to 4:00 minutes.

Hard to claim any type of fast times when by the rules you are cutting just about every corner on the circuit beyond the allowable legal limits.

Well, this was done during an FIA Nations Cup, so if he didn't get any penalties, which he didn't, he was then driving in the limits.

K32
Well, this was done during an FIA Nations Cup, so if he didn't get any penalties, which he didn't, he was then driving in the limits.

I went back and watched the video again, full screen and like I said earlier it was some nice smooth driving but watching the video you can clearly see that right after he cuts the corners to a point which is illegal you see a red box with a number like +1.4 or +3.6 pop up after multiple corner cuts throughout the video and I would be willing to bet that is the penalty times for cutting the previous corner.

It is not showing the total accrued times just what has been added from the last infraction.

I know from driving on the track that many of those corners that he is cutting and getting the red box that just getting on the curb at that point 2" it seems results in a penalty.

I think his driving looks reasonable and he is not abusing corner cutting but under current regulations for that track he is breaking the rules and his times are not valid as a result.

If the red box showing + time is for something else please explain what it is.

I guess you mean the running time comparison to the fastest lap at the end of a sector? That's +x.xxx on red background when one is behind the fastest lap, and -x.xxx on purple background (plus a sound effect) when one is ahead.

I went back and watched the video again, full screen and like I said earlier it was some nice smooth driving but watching the video you can clearly see that right after he cuts the corners to a point which is illegal you see a red box with a number like +1.4 or +3.6 pop up after multiple corner cuts throughout the video and I would be willing to bet that is the penalty times for cutting the previous corner.

It is not showing the total accrued times just what has been added from the last infraction.

I know from driving on the track that many of those corners that he is cutting and getting the red box that just getting on the curb at that point 2" it seems results in a penalty.

I think his driving looks reasonable and he is not abusing corner cutting but under current regulations for that track he is breaking the rules and his times are not valid as a result.

The red boxes you see are lap time deltas. The + in the red box is saying that if you add this amount of time to your best lap time so far, then that is the time that you have set (the one that's shown on the timer).

If he was faster through that section it would be a blue box and a - sign instead

I guess you mean the running time comparison to the fastest lap at the end of a sector? That's +x.xxx on red background when one is behind the fastest lap, and -x.xxx on purple background (plus a sound effect) when one is ahead.

You are right, do not know what I was thinking except that watching the video it is no doubt the kid is good but again no way he is cutting many of those corners like in that video and not getting a penalty assessed.

You are right, do not know what I was thinking except that watching the video it is no doubt the kid is good but again no way he is cutting many of those corners like in that video and not getting a penalty assessed.

He's just good at driving consistently on the limit. ;) The only times he gets a penalty in that event is during the warm-up period and the second fast lap in qualifying, but he doesn't have enough to finish that lap anyway, so he pulls off.

EDIT: Wait, he actually didn't get a penalty the entire session, only when he was doing the Online Time Trial. My bad.

Back