The Predator

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 5 comments
Watched this in the cinema (3D) tonight. Great action movie, ending was a little weak, but all-in-all a great movie, IMO a worthy successor to P1 and P2. 👍 Don't listen to what a bunch of self-entitled 'fans' say. ;)

Watched this in the cinema (3D) tonight. Great action movie, ending was a little weak, but all-in-all a great movie, IMO a worthy successor to P1 and P2. 👍 Don't listen to what a bunch of self-entitled 'fans' say. ;)
A friend of mine(digs all types of movies) saw it and says the same as you. I always ask first, "Were you entertained?". ;)

A friend of mine(digs all types of movies) saw it and says the same as you. I always ask first, "Were you entertained?". ;)
Exactly. I didn't go in expecting Shakespearian dialogues, or a carbon-copy of the original. It was highly entertaining, great cast, lot's of action and there was quite a bit of humor in it. Contrary to certain other reboots I think this was a very good one. Of course helped by the fact that the original wasn't a movie with deep layering or hidden undertones, so it's hard to screw it up/lose the message like with other reboots (e.g. Robocop).

I rarely look at Metacritic/IMDB review scores anymore because of all the 0/10, 1/10 review bombings by people who got their feelings hurt because they somehow feel entitled to a certain way the movie should have been. Still laughing my ass off over the butthurt over the responses to TLJ or a possibly black James Bond. :lol:

Some dude over at YouTube
I can't watch these new sequels/prequels of classic movies without feeling empty inside.
I guess that kind of sums up my own feeling about re-using classic stories and characters.
Like just for instance recent ones such as Total Recall, Ghostbusters, Robocop, Turtles and many more.
But I realise it's not exactly a new phenomenon, Hollywood has re-made movies and rebooted franchises
for at least fifty or sixty years.

I guess that kind of sums up my own feeling about re-using classic stories and characters.
Like just for instance recent ones such as Total Recall, Ghostbusters, Robocop, Turtles and many more.
But I realise it's not exactly a new phenomenon, Hollywood has re-made movies and rebooted franchises
for at least fifty or sixty years.

I think a lot of reboots are mediocre (especially if the original is a classic must-see). Not great, not the worst, just mediocre. Some of them completely miss the mark compared to the original (e.g. Robocop, where the underlying message from the original movie was completely lost). Ghostbusters was also mediocre (and contrary to popular internet belief that had nothing to do with the cast being female). But I hardly think these are worth 1/10 review scores. And it doesn't impact my view of the originals whatsoever.

In the case of Predator I think the reboot worked pretty well. Is it as great as the original? Nope. Does that mean it's bad? Nope.

Back