The problem of livery searching in GT Sport

• Thread starter Conquerer
  • 66 comments
Conquerer13
Does this not bother a lot of other people?

Unless I'm missing something, and I don't think I am, there is no way to search and order liveries for individual cars by popularity -- views/likes/downloads/comments/etc. Instead, you search for liveries of a specific car and you're shown every livery made during a period of the last 1-3 days or something like that, and then you have to view "older" periods, again 1-3 days at a time to see more. Why in the hell can't we change the parameters here? Especially if I'm looking for a very specific type of livery, which is another issue entirely. Let's just say "Pennzoil" is my search tag and there's no results at all for the first three periods for a specific car, but one result in the fourth period, none in the next few and then two in the next. Why can it not just fill the page of all liveries made with that tag and THEN require me to hit "older" or "previous" to see another page or however many are left? Why must I needlessly cycle through each period when no such liveries were created? Is this not common sense?

Instead of seeing the best liveries for each car, I can only see the ones most recently made (without endlessly trudging through previous time periods). Thankfully, there are a lot of great livery designers out there and a lot of popular designs have been made countless times so you can get away with it sometimes, but it's an incredibly flawed design. I know there's the "cool selections," "most popular" and "trending" tabs but those are for all cars so it's not as helpful. It's ridiculous that the design is so short-sighted to not have the same options for individual cars once you search.

It's just frustrating because PD have finally made a very capable livery editor and users have been able to make fantastic designs, but there's no way to easily search through them for individual cars. Such wasted potential and very PD/Gran Turismo... Since it hasn't been fixed yet, I don't think enough people are complaining about it. It's a serious problem for me and while I still enjoy searching for liveries because of how many good ones are out there, it could be made a hell of a lot easier and more user-friendly. I'm grateful that PD has made a big step in producing a very respectable livery editor, but because of this oversight it's not being used to its potential and that's a big shame.

The same thing applies for searching for everything else like photos, replays, helmet liveries, etc. Although for some reason I noticed when searching for decals it lists uploads together between much larger periods up to more than a month, meanwhile liveries are displayed 1-3 days at a time... Frustrating.

Use the GT website, it makes searching liveries and stickers sooooooooo much easier
Didn't even know you could do that... Just tried it out a bit and it definitely is a bit better, but still has its limitations. The search function still has the same problem although you can switch through periods more easily. Thanks for letting me know though.

Really still wish they'd integrate it better in the actual game.

Let's just say "Pennzoil" is my search tag and there's no results at all for the first three periods for a specific car, but one result in the fourth period, none in the next few and then two in the next. Why can it not just fill the page of all liveries made with that tag and THEN require me to hit "older" or "previous" to see another page or however many are left? Why must I needlessly cycle through each period when no such liveries were created? Is this not common sense?
This x1000. Having to go through all the pages to find something is really annoying. I wish PD just copied Forza. Search all the keywords contained in the livery description and then display all the results in a row. Much better system.

Didn't even know you could do that... Just tried it out a bit and it definitely is a bit better, but still has its limitations. The search function still has the same problem although you can switch through periods more easily. Thanks for letting me know though.

Really still wish they'd integrate it better in the actual game.

You can get results by popularity on the site.

Popularity is no assurance of quality!
100% this, just found another example for that just recently. I was quite amazed by what people give likes for :lol:

8080048174162542593_23.jpg

7430943788109956105_23.jpg

Now guess which one has more likes :D

100% this, just found another example for that just recently. I was quite amazed by what people give likes for :lol:

You can imagine my opinion on this one...

upload_2018-5-18_9-16-40.png

I know it's 4040 likes for a scapes photo rather than the livery, but still, it's listed as Andy Warhol... and it's like they did it from memory without actually looking at a picture of the real car! Don't get me wrong, I'm not really criticising the creator - they've had a go, they clearly like it and the result is what it is... but it highlights the problem with the system. It's not a great scapes photo, it's not a great livery, and it's been shared with the wrong title and tags, and yet it's easily pinged 4000+ likes.

It's not a great scapes photo, it's not a great livery, and it's been shared with the wrong title and tags, and yet it's easily pinged 4000+ likes.
Another proof that humans are stupid sometimes :lol: I guess it was just found and shared by somebody with a few hundred/thousand followers who had no idea of what it was. And once it takes off you can‘t stop it no matter what happens (see my F1 car liveries).

I would love if PD let you filter your searches a little more.

I'd love to search by likes, how many times collected, etc. Etc.

Also, how has PD not utilized a feature that let's you search liveries or decals by a specific player? That should be a gimme to me.

The search is garbage and we should be able to change the time period search parameters especially after using the options to narrow the search down, god know how many times I've searched for a livery I didn't particularly want to do myself only to get bored with the slow search and ended up doing the livery myself anyway.

There's a livery I want and I remember it was uploaded sometime in January. You can just imagine the amount of clicks I'm going to have to do to reach back to download it. :(

Popularity is no assurance of quality! I've seen many a livery with thousands of likes that look like a drunk ape made them. They just gained popularity because they were hastily made on the first day of a new car update!

This and the fact in the case of race car replicas that very few people actually look to see what the real car looks like before they 'like' it. They just see, for example, a Warsteiner liveried BMW M3 and immediately equate it to the Schnitzer M3 when on closer inspection the decals could be wrong, missing, poorly placed etc. Before I started doing replica liveries myself I was guilty of doing exactly this, liking a livery because it looked legit at first glance.

There's a livery I want and I remember it was uploaded sometime in January. You can just imagine the amount of clicks I'm going to have to do to reach back to download it. :(

Quite a few. If you know what car it's for, and you can guess at at least one keyword it might not be too bad.

edit: Sorry, brain fade, I had it in mind the search by date function worked

Last edited:

Yes you see this kinda crap all the time.

Now this is something that really bothers me.
I created a popular livery for a corvette that nobody had ever done before. To this day it still only has 20 likes. Someone seen my creation then used my uploaded decals to make the exact same car.
Their car is now in the top of the most popular search with over a 1000 likes. So my Recreation gets no attention at all yet some thief gets all the glory off of my idea as if it was there own.

I see this a lot too with other people's creations

Popularity is no assurance of quality! I've seen many a livery with thousands of likes that look like a drunk ape made them. They just gained popularity because they were hastily made on the first day of a new car update!
This is true, but for the most part ordering by popularity would still be more helpful than the current system. You might have some not so great or incorrect liveries to filter through but there are enough actual good ones to make it worthwhile.

Quite a few. If you know what car it's for, and you can guess at at least one keyword it might not be too bad.

edit: Sorry, brain fade, I had it in mind the search by date function worked

Yeah if only the date function worked. In fact I have the exact date, car, tags, livery name and all. It's just that it's such a pain to get to in :D

Yeah if only the date function worked. In fact I have the exact date, car, tags, livery name and all. It's just that it's such a pain to get to in :D
In game you can just search for the tag and smash the „older posts“ button until you reach the date you need. Unfortunately it seems to be broken a bit since two (?) updates and when the game says it couldn‘t find older posts you can‘t jump further back even tho there are older posts.

In game you can just search for the tag and smash the „older posts“ button until you reach the date you need. Unfortunately it seems to be broken a bit since two (?) updates and when the game says it couldn‘t find older posts you can‘t jump further back even tho there are older posts.

Yeah smashing the older posts button is the issue here. To get back to the livery I want will mean at least a hundred button presses or more since I'll have to go to mid January.

The search functions in game definetly need some work in my opinion but using the website is a much better experience and makes
it slightly easier to find old content.

We should at least be given the option to search by player as well so that if we know a persons PSN it will bring up all their works regardless
of date and if you want to specify a period you can then put the dates in if you wish.

Have lost track of the number of hours I've spent searching liveries since the game came out as I like way too many of them.

If you ask me, I think it's best to do the following. Take a look at the liveries you've downloaded, and then take a look at that livery's creator's profile. Maybe follow them if you want to, and also take a look at what they've shared - "birds of a feather flock together" and that.

lol. Classic.

Back