The Prog ThreadMusic 

• Thread starter Diego440
  • 175 comments
Very cool @DaveyFT1 I'm a big fan of Yes and Roger Dean's artwork has always been pivotal to their identity IMO.

My Uncle was a big fan of Yes, and he had most albums as original gatefolds, but for some reason he didn't have Relayer - he did, however, have a tape of it where he drew the name of the album himself, and I always read it as 'Relaxer'.

'Soon' and the middle section of 'To Be Over' are among my favourite pieces by Yes, and I even used to have a clip of the latter as my ringtone on my phone, which subsequently became the piano intro from 'Awaken'. I got rid of them, however, as I was reacting when I heard 'Awaken' as if my phone was ringing :ouch:

Lately I've been listening to a band called Haken, they only appeared on my radar because their new album is titled "Virus" which seemed an odd choice considering the current circumstances. Turns out it's a continuation of previous work though and is actually rather good prog metal.

Anyone else here like Transatlantic? They just announced their next album, which comes out in February. Though they're actually releasing two versions of the album.

Anyone else here like Transatlantic? They just announced their next album, which comes out in February. Though they're actually releasing two versions of the album.

So long as it doesn't end up being ridiculously priced I plan on getting the Ultimate edition which has both versions.

Hopefully them being active again increases the odds of them making their other stuff available on streaming services as well as vinyl.

So long as it doesn't end up being ridiculously priced I plan on getting the Ultimate edition which has both versions.

Hopefully them being active again increases the odds of them making their other stuff available on streaming services as well as vinyl.
All of their albums have been released on vinyl at least once (though they are quite expensive especially if you spring for the deluxe box sets with the bonus discs), unless you want a reissue. As cool as the "Ultimate Edition" box set sounds I wish there was a way to get the Blu-ray (which I think comes with a making-of documentary) without springing for the giant box set, or if there was a CD-only version that had both versions of the album. Would be nice if they were on streaming too. Cause otherwise I have to resort to actually buying physical media (which is fine with me; I've got the Whirld Tour 2010 box set and it looks really nice) or... let's just say less legal methods.

Last edited:
unless you want a reissue.

Very much this, I'm pretty hesitant when it comes to buying expensive used vinyl online.

Would be nice if they were on streaming too. Cause otherwise I have to resort to actually buying physical media (which is fine with me; I've got the Whirld Tour 2010 box set and it looks really nice) or... let's just say less legal methods.

Oddly enough after I made that post I did some looking and apparently Neal Morse launched his own streaming service with solo stuff as well as his various other projects including Morse-era Spocks Beard and Transatlantic.

https://www.waterfallstreaming.com/#

It's $7/month and isn't anywhere near as polished as the major streaming services, but it at least lets you access the Morse stuff that isn't available elsewhere and supports him.

Very much this, I'm pretty hesitant when it comes to buying expensive used vinyl online.

Oddly enough after I made that post I did some looking and apparently Neal Morse launched his own streaming service with solo stuff as well as his various other projects including Morse-era Spocks Beard and Transatlantic.

https://www.waterfallstreaming.com/#

It's $7/month and isn't anywhere near as polished as the major streaming services, but it at least lets you access the Morse stuff that isn't available elsewhere and supports him.
I am aware of Waterfall. I'm just not familiar with Neal Morse's projects outside of Spock's Beard and Transatlantic. And owning the Transatlantic albums on vinyl would be cool but they are quite expensive even if you don't spring for the box sets (or even worse, the even rarer colored versions of the box sets).

Ultimate Edition of The Absolute Universe has been ordered. :D

Would be nice if they were on streaming too. Cause otherwise I have to resort to actually buying physical media (which is fine with me; I've got the Whirld Tour 2010 box set and it looks really nice) or... let's just say less legal methods.

Today when I was looking at the newly released songs I noticed Reaching for the Sky is now on Spotify so it seems the new album will be there at least. Hopefully the rest of their discography isn't far behind.

Ultimate Edition of The Absolute Universe has been ordered. :D

Today when I was looking at the newly released songs I noticed Reaching for the Sky is now on Spotify so it seems the new album will be there at least. Hopefully the rest of their discography isn't far behind.
I m aware that the single is on Spotify. And I'm getting the Ultimate box too.

I've been revisiting this track once in a while. It's become one of my favorite instrumental tracks. I like that the bass guitar isn't buried behind other instruments on their tracks.

Liquid Tension Experiment has also come out of dormancy. :D

Yeah, I just randomly saw their whole mask teaser thing on Facebook the other day. I'm curious to see how this turns out, I don't expect it will sound much like the first two just because of how long it's been and how John Petrucci and Jordan Ruddess' playing styles have changed. JP has played it fairly safe in recent years, just lots of metal and epic and less style.

Last edited:
8CBC694F-7D03-445C-8FA5-8C1B7BEB893C.jpeg

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-lamb-lies-down-on-broadway-mw0000650187

Turns out it's a rather fine antidote to people with chainsaws cutting branches from the railtrack next to your apartment AT 3 🤬 AM...

Seriously, the last two nights have been rough, but I almost forgot how brilliant this album is. Peter Gabriel-era Genesis really were sensationally good, and it is rather fitting that their final album is a crazy, feature length epic where all five members of the band are on top form... and that is really saying something.

I'm quite glad that they never reformed (except for one legendary, shambolic get together) and never recorded together again - as it means that 'The Lamb' not only marked their greatest musical achievement (both collectively and, with one or two exceptions (mostly Gabriel) individually too), but fittingly was their last ever recorded output together.

Happy birthday to my favourite guitarist of all time, Steve Howe...

I played 'Awaken' by Yes to an old friend of mine once, and he said that if someone showed him the notes, he could play Steve Howe's guitar part with a bit of practice. He seemed offended when I burst out laughing.

View attachment 987204
https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-lamb-lies-down-on-broadway-mw0000650187

Turns out it's a rather fine antidote to people with chainsaws cutting branches from the railtrack next to your apartment AT 3 🤬 AM...

Seriously, the last two nights have been rough, but I almost forgot how brilliant this album is. Peter Gabriel-era Genesis really were sensationally good, and it is rather fitting that their final album is a crazy, feature length epic where all five members of the band are on top form... and that is really saying something.

I'm quite glad that they never reformed (except for one legendary, shambolic get together) and never recorded together again - as it means that 'The Lamb' not only marked their greatest musical achievement (both collectively and, with one or two exceptions (mostly Gabriel) individually too), but fittingly was their last ever recorded output together.
One of my favorite acts of all time, Kevin Gilbert, performed The Lamb in nearly its entirety at ProgFest in 1994 (the 20th anniversary of the album's release) with his band, Giraffe. Among the personnel was Nick D'Virgilio of Spock's Beard (he also did drum work on Genesis' Calling All Stations). A live album was released in 2014 (the 20th anniversary of the performance), but I wonder if it's available for streaming.

[Edit] Here's a cover he did for the Genesis compilation album:

And he sang on this Yes cover, also featuring Nick D'Virgilio and the ****ing amazing Mike Keneally.

Aaaaand a KG prog original:

Last edited:
Back