• Thread starter Diego440
  • 175 comments

Diego440

Born to browse
Premium
Venezuela
CCS
GTP_Diego
General Overview of Progressive Rock as a whole with the main representatives of each genre

Progressive Metal:
There are five main categories of Prog Metal. Each of them is sub-divided into many more. What I'm going to do is list the categories and the main representatives of each with a bit of a description for each.

First off, the five categories are
- Progressive Power Metal,
- Symphonic Progressive Metal,
- Experimental/Technical Progressive Metal,
- Avant Garde/Post Progressive Metal, and
- Extreme Progressive Metal

Each link will take you to the post which refers to that specific genre/sub-genre.

So, that said, I've gotten into Prog a lot lately. I've always been a fan of Rush, Marillion and other traditional Prog bands, but lately I've been getting so many albums of different Prog styles, it's like an institutional learning. I mean, Prog doesn't follow the fixed rhythm of a rock or jazz song, but it incorporates new stuff, making the music sound so much better.

If you haven't heard much Prog and are getting tired of the traditional genres, I recommend you check out some the following mentioned bands.

Keep in mind, Progressive House, Techno, Trance is not what I'm talking about ;)

Last edited:
A liking of prog-rock is a sure sign of having too much spare time on one's hands ;)

I really like Dream Theater and Tool. I think those two are the my extent of Prog band collection.

Keep in mind, Progressive House, Techno, Trance is not what I'm talking about

And why not? :grumpy:

;)

I'm also into progressive rock/metal a lot. I've got several cd's from some of the bands you mentioned. Another prog band I like is Ayreon. Although it's more like a 'project'. Ayreon is a project by the Dutch multi-instrumentalist Arjen Lucassen, who flies in musical talent from all over the world to make theme albums. His latest album, The Human Equation hasn't left my cd player since I've got it :). It's got the vocalists from Dream Theater and Opeth, so if you're into them, you might want to check it out. Watch the Loser clip to get a taste of what he puts together. The clip itself is a little weird, but the song is just so good!

I was just listening to that album. It's got some very nice songs.. and as you listen ot it, it just keeps getting better and better.

I was also listening to Into the Electric Castle, Vols. I and II, and I must say I didn't really like it much... or at leats compared to The Human Equation. Good stuff either way.

I think I only listen to progressive metal (Dream Theater, Opeth, Queensrÿche, Tool). However, the genres aren't always really clear to me, so I don't know if bands like Katatonia, Nevermore, Amorphis and Therion are progressive.

Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands. I also like Symphony X but I can't listen to the albums straight through because their songs are too similar. I've never heard the term Progressive Jazz but the bands you mentioned are all pretty good. I guess I call progressive jazz Fusion.

Some fusion (prog jazz) bands I like: Tribal Tech, some Mike Stern, and Al DiMeola.
Some Prog Metal bands I like: Dream Theater, Opeth.
Prog Rock: Liquid Tension Experiment*, some Frank Zappa, and Yes.

I'm sure there are tons more I'm forgetting (my music is on my other computer) but these are pretty much my favorite prog bands.

*If you are not aware, LTE is basically Dream Theater without the singer, and a different bassist. They have an overall lighter sound than Dream Theater.

ROAD_DOGG33J
I think I only listen to progressive metal (Dream Theater, Opeth, Queensrÿche, Tool). However, the genres aren't always really clear to me, so I don't know if bands like Katatonia, Nevermore, Amorphis and Therion are progressive.

Right. The terms are sometimes hard to differentiate. But Prog mostly deals with different instruments than the norm, and an overall "progressive" feel to the song... as in it progressing from one rhythm to the other, instead of following the AABA rhythm.

Of the bands you mention, only Therion applies to the Prog genre, most specifically, the Symphonic Prog genre. Obviously because of their symphonic use in metal, but more to the point, I think Lemuria and Sirius B are their most orchestrated albums.

Ceiling Fan: True, prog jazz is sometimes refered to as Jazz Fusion, so the term is equally right. If you like Tribal Tech, I'd recommend a side project called Vital Tech Tones: Steve Smith, Victor Wooten and Scott Henderson; this last one, from Tribal Tech.

Weather Report also has some great tunes, although they're older, dating back to the mid 70s.

Did you find any good progressive metal bands? And by good, I probably mean great.

Are keyboards different?

xXSilencerXx
I love Queensryche ( how do you make that special "y" ) but thats the only one I've listened too.

Alt + 0255 with Num Lock off

When I listen to Queensrÿche, I think more of it as pop-rock. I think Katatonia's Brave Murder Day may be progressive, but I don't listen to it anyway.

I have a fairly good collection of Prog - although my friend Spon assures me that I am a mere novice :crazy: I have yards of Yes, plenty of Pink Floyd, copius King Crimson and a generous amount of Genesis (vast majority is Peter Gabriel...)

The last CD I bought (just last week infact) is King Crimson's live album from '74, 'USA' - It is fantastic... 👍 I've never classed Pink Floyd as 'real' prog

Some of my favourite albums amongst that lots are:

Yes - Close To The Edge (1972)
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (1969)
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (1974)

...and some favourite tracks...

Yes - Awaken (from 'Going For The One', 1977)
King Crimson - Lark's Tongue In Aspic Part II (from 'Lark's Tongue In Aspic' and 'USA' (live), 1974)
Genesis - Musical Box (from 'Nursery Cryme', 1971)

I also noticed my new favourite TV programme, Steve Coogan's new character 'Saxondale' (see avatar :P ) uses a song by Focus as the theme tune ('House Of The King') and I think 'The Stig' from Top Gear used to listen to Focus alot... it's a bit old hat now, but I'm finding Focus quite entertaining at the moment!

Chris
Yes... King Crimson... Genesis... Focus

Awesome. I heard the classic Prog bands are called Art Prog. I really like those, although I'm more towards the metal side of prog. Focus... that Hocus Pocus song is hilarious, with all the yodelling.

Have you ever heard Riverside? It's quite good. I sent some to Ben and he in turn got everything he could find on them. And of course, Supertramp.

Ceiling_fan: You may also want to check a Fusion band called Planet X... it's not as distorted as Tribal Tech; but it mixes the rock and jazz style very nicely.

ROAD_DOGG33J
Did you find any good progressive metal bands? And by good, I probably mean great.

Are keyboards different?

Keyboards are alright. In fact, the add more to the Prog sense. Although it's used more by traditional Prog bands than Prog Metal. Let's see, my favourite Prog Metal bands are Conitnuo Renacer, Coprofago, Anomaly (Holland), Ayreon, Magellan, Cynic, Pelican, Novembre, Tool. There's also Prog Death, which I'm also very much into, and there's of course Opeth, Death, Pestilence, Disillusion, Prototype and Edge of Sanity.

Diego440
Keyboards are alright. In fact, the add more to the Prog sense. Although it's used more by traditional Prog bands than Prog Metal. Let's see, my favourite Prog Metal bands are Conitnuo Renacer, Coprofago, Anomaly (Holland), Ayreon, Magellan, Cynic, Pelican, Novembre, Tool. There's also Prog Death, which I'm also very much into, and there's of course Opeth, Death, Pestilence, Disillusion, Prototype and Edge of Sanity.

This page has a great classifying system for every genre of Prog Metal

Do any of those death bands feature soft vocals?

That site lists Nevermore under Progressive Power Metal (Raw/Traditional).

Diego440
Ceiling Fan: True, prog jazz is sometimes refered to as Jazz Fusion, so the term is equally right. If you like Tribal Tech, I'd recommend a side project called Vital Tech Tones: Steve Smith, Victor Wooten and Scott Henderson; this last one, from Tribal Tech.

Yeah, that's how I heard about them. I was searching for Victor Wooten (incredible bassist btw) and came across that album.

Speaking of Victor Wooten, I saw him play just 2 days ago with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

ceiling_fan
Speaking of Victor Wooten, I saw him play just 2 days ago with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

I hate you...

No, really, I saw Wooten live about two years ago... he's a sight. Did you see them at the High Sierra Festival?

ROAD_DOGG33J, by "soft vocals" you mean non-grunting/screaming? You're looking for something like the voice of Dream Theater, for example?

Diego440
I hate you...

No, really, I saw Wooten live about two years ago... he's a sight. Did you see them at the High Sierra Festival?

ROAD_DOGG33J, by "soft vocals" you mean non-grunting/screaming? You're looking for something like the voice of Dream Theater, for example?

Something like that or maybe I'll just see. I really like Opeth's Ghost Reveries, I think it's their softest album.

Diego440
Awesome. I heard the classic Prog bands are called Art Prog. I really like those, although I'm more towards the metal side of prog. Focus... that Hocus Pocus song is hilarious, with all the yodelling.

Have you ever heard Riverside? It's quite good. I sent some to Ben and he in turn got everything he could find on them. And of course, Supertramp.

:lol: Yeh, 'Hocus Pocus' is nuts! I haven't heard of Riverside, but I'll check it out on your recommendation. I've always been a big fan of Supertramp, but have never considered them as 'prog', but I suppose their earlier stuff is... 'Crime Of The Century' is my oldest CD, and I have just about everything else they did up until 1979... :)

..and of course, how could I forget, Jethro Tull... bit of an acquired taste but 'Thick As a Brick' is pure prog genius!

Touring Mars
..and of course, how could I forget, Jethro Tull... bit of an acquired taste but 'Thick As a Brick' is pure prog genius!

True... but I haven't been able to get into Tull... too dense! I've been scanning recently-acquired old and new Prog, so if I come by something great, I'll tell you... same goes for you, Road_Dogg33J

powripper
I like Tool, but I think Opeth shouldnt be in the same class as them, I'm gonna call it Death-prog-metal :D

WRONG!

Prog Black Metal

... or something like that ;)

Tool, Opeth, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd. 👍

Prog is the pinnacle of music IMO, with the most creative and original material.

Shannon
Tool, Opeth, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd. 👍

Prog is the pinnacle of music IMO, with the most creative and original material.

Indeed.

It's where all the "virtuosos" are.

I always considered most of the bands here as "rock". Honestly, there's such a large variety of bands that you guys have listed that I can't understand how it can be called the same specific genre.

I also think it'd be really easy to like a band like say, Tool, but dislike Pink Floyd or something like that. It's just too varied for me to call them the same thing.

Count me in! I'm a Pink Floyd fan, my favourite track by them is the epic 'one whole side of an LP' - Echoes. I have been known to listen to Marrilion, Genesis and Yes at times too. I haven't dug much further into the genre, though I plan too in time.

Back