The PS4 FFB thread

• Thread starter mattikake
  • 97 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Right I've been having a long play at Barcelona today on my G29 testing FFB in the 488 GT3.

All I'm trying is to get the wheel to do 4 basic things:-
1) Have some weight to the steering
2) When the front brakes lock to either go light on full lockup or twitch the steering left and right, light and heavy as each wheel grips/loses grip when not completely locking up (although I could actually live without this latter part).
3) Get the rear wheels to go light when spinning up accelerating in a straight line/under basic traction - this means the steering needs some weight behind it as a neutral position.
4) Get the wheel to snap/twitch opposite lock or turn forcibly if the rear wheels lose traction while cornering.

There are niceties but in terms of driving on the limit I can live without:-
5) Feel vibration/twitching over curbs and rumble strips
6) and heavier on grass and gravel traps.
7) Feel undulations in the road surface.

The problem is no matter what I set and what flavour I use, I cannot get the wheel to go light when the fronts lock up. I can get them to twitch under heavy on-the-limit braking (although I think this is actually road surface feedback coming through) BUT if I set this I cannot feel rear traction at all. OR I can get some rear feel, not a lot, but some for straight line wheelspin and cornering oversteer BUT if set that I cannot get any braking feel at all.

It seems to be one or the other.

I can get the steering heavy (although nothing like PCARS 1) but if I do that the histogram seems to indicate it's clipping and I get no other feedback. The more towards Raw and the more volume seems to govern this. Otherwise Volume doesn't make much sense to me. It makes the steering heavier, until I go too high and it clips. The game blurb makes even less sense to me talking about a scale from 0 to 1 when the slider goes from 0-100.

From what I understand from the game blurb FX governs surface feedback. Whatever flavours and settings I use, and even if I set FX to 0, this is always on to some degree or another - I can always feels curbs, grass, gravel traps. It set it 50-100 the surface feedback gets more extreme. So that appears to work.

I read Tone is supposed to set how much of surface feel I want or tyre slip. If I set Tone to 50-100 for tyre slip, I can get some marginal rear wheel feedback (nothing like PCARS 1) but no front feedback at all. If I set Tone to 0-50 I can get, presumably, surface feedback for on-the-limit braking but no lightness on a full lock-up, and the feedback for the rears is non-existent. I can still feel curbs, grass, gravel traps on any setting.

Gain is the overall scale of these effects combined, yes?

So the question is, am I reading this right? And what have I got wrong? Is this how it is working for everyone else? Please explain Volume to me etc.

The fact that I cannot get a fronts feel at the same time as a rears feel is what is confusing me and/or makes me believe this is simply broken.

I used to run this in PCARS 1 and it worked a treat for all the above requirements. Ultimately all I want to get is this feel again.
Master: 30
Fx: 80
Fy: 20 or 30
Fx: 70
Smoothing all set to 10

Sop
Scale: 30
Lateral: 80
Differential: 20 or 30
Damping: 70

Thanks in advance and sorry for the can of worms I may have just opened!

It's been mentioned in a few threads that many people are trying to make the FFB how they want it rather than it represent the car they are driving.

If you haven't already seen the comments from the developer and pro's working with them its worth having a search.

I don't explicitly want it to feel the same as PCARS 1, but given the way it is, I'll take that any day. PCARS 1 was playable in that if gave you the information you needed. In every car you should be able to feel these effects to varying levels. If it can be MORE informative and MORE natural that's a bonus. If the cars feel a bit different but still feed that essential information back, even better still. Which is what I was expecting.

The problem I have is I don't really understand it, I think. And the FFB doesn't seem to respond how I think I understand it.

I'll do some more searching but I've not seen my particular problem or seen it described in this way.

I think you have a very distinct taste in how you want your FFB to feel so you'll probably have to experiment more than most.
I got mine feeling how I like within an hour.

You must be the only person I've seen who wants PCars 2 to feel like PCars 1.
It may have something to do with that particular wheel. The Logitech's seem to be either bugged or just bad hardware.

I'm very satisfied with my T300. I liked the FFB out of the shoot. I have since added the Jack Spade deal ('alternative mid comp' to be exact) and it is even better, if only slightly. The only change I make from there is turning up/down the Volume as I see fit.

Are you on PC?

The more people I speak to in the public lobbies and in various forums the more I seem to get wildly different experiences for the same wheel. But I can't tell if some people like a wheel that isn't telling them much or if their wheel somehow behaves differently.

The part I can't buy is my wheel not working properly because it worked perfectly in PCARS 1. That's what makes it so frustrating and confusing.

And the way people are experiencing different [other] handling bugs almost makes it seem like no two PS4's are the same! Seems like SMS have a nightmare job debugging this lot.

You must be the only person I've seen who wants PCars 2 to feel like PCars 1.

PCARS 1 can feel amazing with the right wheel and settings. With the T300 I thought PCARS 1 FFB felt better than anything else I've ever played. PCARS 2 feels similarly amazing. It's possible that SMS used TM wheels for most of their FFB testing.

As to the original post, I'm not using the same wheel so can't really help with that. I don't know why, but ever since PCARS 1, people always seem to have had a lot of issues getting Logitech G wheels to feel right.

Can you try this:
Informative/90/50/90/5.

As far as i understood it, in simple terms:
-Gain is overall force feedback strength. Should logically be very high. I use 90.
-Volume is more like the torque power needed to rotate the wheel; it's its weight or how hard it feels. Should be good enough to feel it and not wrestle the wheel. That's why I use anywhere between 50 and 75 according to the car.
-Tone is the taste you want more from the wheel. Go left (toward zero) you feel more the road texture. Go right (towards 100) you feel more the car response. I care more for the latter, hence why i use 90.
-Fx is the FFB related especially to the road texture, bumps, curbs etc... I like that subtle so I use 5. I think going up to 20 maximum should be acceptable.
Obviously Tone and Fx are very related! The more Tone is bigger (towards 100 or right) the less Fx will have an effect; or the more you need to increase Fx in order to feel the road more!
If you chose a very low tone (towards zero or left), a very low Fx value should be enough to convey the road feel.

I care more to feel what the car is doing than what the road texture is; that doesn't provide me anything useful in my opinion.

Hope that helps!

Yep and that understanding makes sense to me. I will be giving that config a go shortly.

Do you get any front tyre feel?

I had a go in a FWD touring car last night at COTA. I was using G90, V90, T35, F20. It was clipping horribly on curbs, but a bit like you, I simply didn't care about that. The feedback for the rear wheels was spot on and I was really able to push and correct slides but the fronts were still non-existent so I couldn't feel traction wheelspin or braking at all, so I was regularly understeering in and out of corners. The only clues I was getting were the tyre screeching sounds on braking.

I have no problem wrestling the wheel. I prefer it. I'm from a karting background so forearm strength isn't an issue.

It may have something to do with that particular wheel. The Logitech's seem to be either bugged or just bad hardware.

I'm very satisfied with my T300. I liked the FFB out of the shoot. I have since added the Jack Spade deal ('alternative mid comp' to be exact) and it is even better, if only slightly. The only change I make from there is turning up/down the Volume as I see fit.

Don't have any issues with my G29 personally. Maybe if I had a thrustmaster I'd be wowed by the difference, but I'm happy with what I have currently... the FFB on this game with this wheel is superb.

Don't have any issues with my G29 personally. Maybe if I had a thrustmaster I'd be wowed by the difference, but I'm happy with what I have currently... the FFB on this game with this wheel is superb.
I don't think there is hardly any difference between the T300 and G29. They're about the same level of quality. Just saying that those with issues on the G29 may have some hardware bugs which may contribute to the issues. On occasion my T300 will bug out, especially if I've been using it for 4+ hours of intense use. Typically it comes back to full strength with a day of rest and a fan blowing directly on it. And if that doesn't fix it, a re-calibration always does the trick.

I have my FFB set up really well and I like it, but I was doing a race at Brands Hatch last night in the Porsche 911 GT3 and when my tires were less than halfway left they would clip massively at big points of compression. The dips, like between Turn 1 and Turn 2, right before Turn 5, and Turn 7. I couldn't adjust it in any way to remove the clipping. It was violently shaking. Now I'm afraid to do a race with lots of tire wear.

I don't think there is hardly any difference between the T300 and G29. They're about the same level of quality. Just saying that those with issues on the G29 may have some hardware bugs which may contribute to the issues. On occasion my T300 will bug out, especially if I've been using it for 4+ hours of intense use. Typically it comes back to full strength with a day of rest and a fan blowing directly on it. And if that doesn't fix it, a re-calibration always does the trick.

I can't buy all these posts about the G29 having hardware issues, when it worked perfectly on PCARS 1. Maybe it's not a great wheel @ £130 or whatever, but it's not bugged. PCARS 2 is.

I can't buy all these posts about the G29 having hardware issues, when it worked perfectly on PCARS 1. Maybe it's not a great wheel @ £130 or whatever, but it's not bugged. PCARS 2 is.
The issue is not everyone with a G29 is having an problem with it. If it were universal that would be one thing. But if I am reading it right, some are having a fine time while others are not.

The issue is not everyone with a G29 is having an problem with it. If it were universal that would be one thing. But if I am reading it right, some are having a fine time while others are not.

But I have to wonder, do they know what they are doing? A car that doesn't communicate what the front wheels are doing at all, doesn't constitute "no problems" in my book. And I personally know many G29 users who are also getting no feedback from the front wheels.

Taken at face value, as I prefer to do by default, it seems extremely odd that PS4 players are having wildly different experiences. Again, if it can feed this information back on my particular G29 in PC1, then I can only conclude that my G29 works and PC2 doesn't. My G29 still works perfectly on PC1 so it hasn't developed a fault.

After using the Immersive FFB flavour for most of my time with the game (and liking it) I switched to Informative a couple of nights ago and it feels even better now. A much tighter and more precise feeling. I'd even say the cars handle better because of it.

After using the Immersive FFB flavour for most of my time with the game (and liking it) I switched to Informative a couple of nights ago and it feels even better now. A much tighter and more precise feeling. I'd even say the cars handle better because of it.

G29? What are your other settings?

And do you feel what the front tyres are doing?

Interesting that you mention Immersive, as it's the only flavour which I definitely can't get to work. Something always feels off to me. Raw and Informative I'm ok with.

The best experience I had so far in PCars 2 was using these settings (while driving the R32 at Sugo):

h9RJSJom.png

T300 and PS4, in case anyone's interested.

I've been running on Immersive and I feel like I've got a good personal setup, though this might not work for others. G29 here.
project-cars-2_20170924194743-png.675125

More testing.

Touring Car class @ Knockhill. Clear. Ambient 68F, Track 98F. G29 FFB Informative, 90,80,90,15

Merc A45 and Astra with these settings are quite calm yet noticeable on the FX FFB, but the BMW is violent. The difference seems to be the opposite ends of the scale of surface feedback. Very hard on the wrists even when I put FX at 10 (didn't try 1 or 0 though). I can set a low 52s lap times in all the cars, however. (no idea if that is good or not. I suspect, not!)

I picked Knockhill because it's really bumpy and uneven. With the FX turned down to 15 I should be getting little FFB from the track, which is true of the A45 and the Astra, but the BMW was extreme. The BMW is also pretty hard to handle, particularly through Duffus Dip and Arnold. Tricky sections of course but the BMW seems to be more erratic in these sections maybe just due to being FWD. If I set the FX to > 50 I get much more road feel in the FWD cars.

Still can't get any tyre slip feel from the front wheels in any car though.

So the same as anywhere else for me. FX seems to work. No front tyre slip feedback. Rear tyre slip on lower powered cars seems to work fine - I can feel the oversteer and traction in all the cars.

Here's my setup for the T300RS on PS4

Raw 100/28/50/30
Deadzones 0
Break Senitivity 25
Speed Sensitivity 35
Damper Saturation 30

Another test. I've just tried ovals and oval turns on infield tracks. Well that was a bad idea.

On banked corners the wheel clips/grinds horribly and randomly. Now clipping I take to mean one of two things, that feedback graph is reporting data beyond what the wheel can translate into feedback movement so that information is lost or that it is going beyond this data the gears appear to slip giving a maximum grind to the wheel. In this case I mean the latter. G29 users will know what I mean.

I've tried setting the FX anywhere from 0 to 100 but each time I go round a banked turn at full speed under the compression it grinds. It's not predictable either. Sometimes it does it a lot sometimes not much. It will do it on different sections of the turn as well. It makes the car very hard to control sometimes putting me into a spin if I'm not gripping the wheel tightly enough to resist it.

Again, it's pretty unplayable. I can't really turn the gain, volume or tone down (currently all at 90) because if I do I won't get any of what is already limited rear tyre slip information. In fact I have to hold the wheel pretty lightly so that I don't override the rear tyre slip and don't notice it.

This was in a NASCAR and a 488 GT3.

Any ideas?

I was happy running immersive at 45, 25, 40, 100, but then some cars felt awful, especially around Spa the long lefthander near the end. The ffb was kind of fading in and out like pulsing. Anyway after much fiddling, to reduce the pulsing i had to up the tone to over 70. As i see it, the tone has the effect of adding weight to the tyres, meaning it needs more effort to break the grip between tyre and road, which i now prefer and my fronts last longer because I'm not scrubbing them as much. New settings now are informative 85, 40, 75, 60, 0.10. seems good on all the cars I've driven so far, just need to change the volume on some.
T300 on ps4 btw

Can someone help me dial out the over pronounced wheel centering/Back end coming round feeling (im not 100% what it is causing it but PCars 1 was the exact same), I have got to the point im fairly happy with the FFB but i just cannot get this dialed out when coming out of corners it feels like am driving a 20ft Speedboat.

Edit: Just stuck my G29 on the Playseat and the default FFB felt great right out the box...im amazed. I was also much quicker with it as i didnt feel as was fighting the car constantly much like the T300 with AC. Is it possible i just dont get on with how the T300 gives its feedbackthrough PCars?

Last edited:
Last night i went from the G29 to the T300 a good few times, The G29 has tons and tons of feedback on the straights (Outlton, Knockhill) feeling every little bump and camber while the T300 feels dead in comparison with you only getting slight feedback on straights, The T300 though had much more feel when turning through corners. Im not sure why the T300 is projecting such little feedback on the straights compared to the 29.

Back