The Race Begins in 5th. *UPDATED: SIDE STORY #2*

• Thread starter SaberFire
  • 94 comments
Great new chapter, only just read it now.👍 You manage to make the non-racing chapters still very interesting to read.:cheers:

Chapter 4: What Goes Around Comes Around. Obviously.​

We're through the first corner and I know that this isn't a race I can win. I'm already at least 6 seconds off the leading 323F. The differential has radically changed the handling characteristics of the Volvo, for better or worse I can't say yet. There's a hell of a lot more grip, but it's noticeably slower in the corners. However, I do notice that the 3000GT in front is remarkably off-pace.

img0182g.jpg

It's one of Yari's friends, but he must either not be familiar with the track at all or having some major issues with his right foot as he is slowly separating from the pack. I pick my target, and begin to hunt him down.

At the end of the first lap, now my tires are fully heated, I dive into the corner (it's almost like my "hadouken" at this point) and force the 3000GT to give way at the first corner.

img0183n.jpg

Although I'm not going to provide a direct translation, I believe the words "Ass" and "Hole" were used in conjunction when he ran wide and lost his place. But no time for idle chitchat, the second quarry of the race, a '91 Skyline R32 was in my sights, and although there was no way I could win the race now (we found out later that the 323F had an LS1 engine swap), I could hopefully close the gap between him and the Opel Vectra in front of me.

img0185jda.jpg

Although my car gave excellent chase through the corners (at the expense of speed, the amount of grip and lack of wheelspin ensured that I could easily level corners without too much lift off), I couldn't match the R32 and it's 4WD system for sheer speed and stability. I manage to pass the Vectra, though. I might not have great acceleration, but move up a few gears and the peak power really shines through.

img0184n.jpg

On the last bend though, I just can't match how planted the R32 is, and I have to settle crossing the line for 3rd. As we pull into the pits, the heavens open and it soaks the rain track. Relegated to hanging around the garage waiting for the rain to stop, I engage in conversation with Yari and the track regulars.

As I'm having a discussion with Yari as to weather or not I should turbocharge my engine (the thought had crossed my mind, but I wasn't completely sold on it yet), a familiar sneer caught my attention.

"You're thinking of bolting on more crap to that rust bucket?"

Gods be damned if I'd have ever have a series of consecutive peaceful Sundays. Samuel was standing in the door of the garage, arrogance plastered all over his face. I stand up straighter along the pit wall.

"Bolting on more crap will hid the rust, I guess. What're you here for, anyway? The track is soaked."
He smirks.
"Nothing much. Just wanted to see what the fuss was about with that Volvo. But I can see I'm just wasting my time..."

This conversation is being held in English, and although Yari gets the basic points of the language, he finds it hard to keep up. But I think we both know where the conversation is going.

"Are you looking for... re-race?"
Yari threw the question into the air as smoothly as he could for his slightly broken English. Samuel looks at Yari, and his face bursts into incredulous laughter.

"What?! You gotta be kidding, right? He has no chance in the Volvo! In the wet? I'll eat him alive!"

Yari looks at me. I mouth the word "cocky" to him. He smiles.

"Then perhaps you test what you are saying? Race David, one lap?"
Samuel wags a condescending finger in our direction.

"Not so fast. I know all about your dirty tactics, David. I don't want you barging me off my racing line. Besides, in this weather, I can't be sure the brakes on your rustbucket will be able to stop you from slamming into the back of me."

I wave a hand in dismissal. Fair enough, two tonnes of steel on a wet track can't be called "predictable", and I still haven't got to grips with the new differential yet. How it handles wet surfaces, I don't know, but we're about to find out. Of course, I'm now about to say something that I'm going to regret later down the line. Sometimes, you just don't learn.

"Hell, if we're doing time trials, then why not have Yari here strap a few cameras to our cars? Catch the whole thing in motion? Yari throws the videos up on his site, you know? Show the world how fast a 240GLT is compared to an NSX? Your call."

I've just made him an offer he can't refuse. The mere prospect of being immortalised by beating an 80's estate probably fulfils one of his ambitions. He laughs.

"Alright then, it's a deal. I'll let your boy here strap a camera to my car, and then we'll set off on one hot lap. No second runs."

He gets into the NSX, and Yari goes forward and sticks a camera to the roof of the car. Yari taps the roof twice and Samuel heads off to the start line. I move to the pit wall and join Yari, as he watches Samuel line up.

"I don't think he knows who you are, Yari."
"I actually like it better this way. Then again, I'm fighting the urge to hop into the Evo and drive backwards around the track faster than him, but I think I'll let you trounce him this time."
"You think I'm within a chance, then?"
"I remember Eddie telling me about the S2000 race. I don't think he's learnt quite enough about car control to race on a paddling pool like this. Cocky, eh? Or just downright stupid? Nah, you'll do good. That diff will make all the difference in grip, while he's running 300hp on road tyres? Yeah, if you push, you'll make it. Barely."
"Thanks for the confidence, Yari..."
"Don't mention it."

Yari then raises his hands and drops them. Samuel sped off the line. If "sped" meant to "spin the wheels for a bit, not making much distance, rev limiter bouncing excess revs off as they come.

img0172p.jpg

First corner, and his approach is all wrong. If he's trying to slid it around, he just simply hasn't got enough track for his speed. He locks the brakes and turns in, running wide. He loses a lot of speed for this, but he plays it safe and waits until he's out of the corner to throw the hammer down and get to the next corner.

img0173e.jpg

Into the third corner, he takes a much more sensible line and hugs the corner, careful not to step on the accelerator like last time. Of course, what he remembers in turn 3 he doesn't quite get a grasp on in the next turn.

img0176axx.jpg

He aims to slide through and hit the rumblestrip, but he misjudges and hits the grass. When he goes to correct it, the car experiences snap oversteer due to the varied traction of the turf and track and he ends up facing the rumble strip. He steps off the accelerator at this point and tries to get the car steady again. This costs him around 5 or so seconds.

img0174l.jpg

I have to admit this makes up for the last turn, though. He pulls the handbrake and uses the momentum to arc the car gracefully, albeit slowly. It isn't helping his lap time out, and his only chance now is to make speed up on the straight towards the last corner.

img0175g.jpg

He speeds down the straight and brakes early and hugs the inside line as hard as he can and crosses the line. A time of 1:28.824 flashes up on the board on the gantry above the start line. Samuel pulls into the pits.

"There's no way in hell you're beating that, Bushy."

I give him a wry smile.
"Well, at least I can afford to put my foot all the way down."

Yari reaches inside the NSX and detaches the camera, replacing the SD card with a fresh one for my run. Yari leans into my Volvo and sticks the camera in place.
"You probably already know this, but use the body roll to your advantage. You drift here occasionally, right?"
"Yeah. First time with the new diff, though. The handling is a lot different now."
"Don't worry about it, I was the same when I added an LSD to the old M3. Soon got used to it."
He stands up straight and stretches his arms above him.
"Anyway, you've got a time to beat. Good luck."

I roll out of the garage up to the start line. When the lights go out, I feather the accelerator until the wheelspin dies out halfway through second gear and approach the first corner.

img0177y.jpg

The understeer caused by the LSD in this wet weather is complimented perfectly by the wheelspin added when I floor it out of the corner, sliding the car just on the edge of the track. I keep my speed throughout the corner, and through the next one too. Balancing the throttle with the amount of traction on offer seems to work, so I aim for something a little more flamboyant in the next corner.

img0179w.jpg

Unlike Samuel, I braked early and hit the rumble strip perfectly, sliding down the straight to the next corner with the excessive body roll providing the momentum to get me there and the throttle to ensure I don't suffer snap-anything. My lines are almost perfect at this point, and I know I've just knocked about two seconds off my old split times for wet racing. I approach the penultimate corner, I decide to throw all my faith into this relatively new driving theory.

img0180s.jpg

While the video feed remains unnaturally silent as I drift around the corner, my mind is just repeating the same words over and over. Ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap. I really have no idea how it's doing this. The longest slide I've ever held this car in was for about 3 seconds, while I just cleared the whole corner without barely a hiccup. Leaving my amateur D1GP antics behind, however, I floor it on the straight and enter the last corner.

img0181s.jpg

Flamboyance for flamboyances' sake, I power-over out of the corner and cross the line. I don't know my time yet, but I guess I'll find out when I pull into the garage.

"1:28.456?! H-how... what? What the hell?!"

Samuel just caught the flashing time above the gantry. Holy hell, he looks pissed. Worse yet, I just got a round of applause from Yari and the rest of the people in the garage.

"David! Great show, man! Damn, that was close. Guess having a boat really helps in wet conditions, eh? Haha, this video is going to look great when my video guy is finished editing it."
"Yeah, thanks, Yari, guys, yeah..."

I turn to look at Samuel. His face is a look of pure, visceral fury. I don't think I've ever seen him so mad. He looks down and back, straight at me. If perhaps I was made of ice I'd be a puddle on the floor right now, his glare is that fierce. Before I can think of anything to do, he's already stuffed himself inside the NSX and roared off, leaving a serious amount of smoke and rubber in the pit lane. And pretty soon, news of his defeat is going to be all over Yari's website. And underground his crowd may be, it doesn't stop word getting around in our local University classes.

Beepbeep beep beep, beepbeep beep beep.

Argh, time's up, I need to get moving if I'm to be on time to pick Mother up. Especially in these conditions, I can't put my foot down on the mountain pass. Still, the sun is out, so at least the view will still be nice. I bid farewell to Yari and the rest of my friends, and say goodbye to another Sunday, and possibly another notch on my hypothetical racing bedpost.

Last edited:
Ach, sorry, sorry, sorry! Meant to get this up yesterday, but I was completely knackered from all the stuff that went on during Sunday and on Monday, I just couldn't settle :(

I'll get the rest of the race report up tomorrow, but it's just so flipping hot at the moment I keep taking trips to the freezer to stick my head in it, so I'm finding it hard to focus ;)

While everyone is off drooling over GT5 E3 info, I'm here to say good new chapter mate.👍 Again, nice to see some people know how to make their character lose.:sly:

Righty, so I've put the rest of the chapter up. Missed my promised deadline by 13 minutes, but I've had internet problems all day :/

Thanks for the comments, Andy GT and Paulie. I appreciate them :D:tup:

FINALLY! SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY DOES LOSE IN A STORY! :bowdown:
Seriously, man! I don't know what the hell is going on in these boards that losing is such a tough thing to do. I'm glad you did it, quite soon I must say. But it's a good thing indeed 👍 I can't say I don't do the same, but it feels me with joy when I'm not the only who does it ;)

Good time trial there, man 👍 The Volvo just managed to squeeze by the NSX's time, well done David :lol: I would be pìssed too had I been beaten by a Volvo.

By the way, there's a small mistake on the post. You forgot to put the tag in the 9th picture from top to bottom. About images, I also have to tell you something. I'm really, really grateful that you put images just about the right size, so we don't have to scroll from left to right continuosly as some members do on their stories :grumpy:

Glad to see this is living up to my expectations. Back on what you said in my thread, I can also say you are deviating from the "Initial D norm" ;)

See? I told you I would post a comment j/k :lol:

:big applause: The chapter is incredible.. It's just awesomeness in there.. A loss? - Great, man.. I'm really happy you did something like this, because it pisses me off when I see people writing stories, where the main character's never losing :grumpy:..

About images, I also have to tell you something. I'm really, really grateful that you put images just about the right size, so we don't have to scroll from left to right continuosly as some members do on their stories :grumpy:

That's so true.. The picture size is just perfect for a story.. I can't stand chapters where the pictures are so big that you've to scroll to the right, in order to be able to read the text 👎..

Your story is different from others and that makes it something special.. Your writing style is incredibly good and the story itself is designed to be very interesting.. 👍 Keep up the good work! :)

FINALLY! SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY DOES LOSE IN A STORY! :bowdown:
Seriously, man! I don't know what the hell is going on in these boards that losing is such a tough thing to do. I'm glad you did it, quite soon I must say. But it's a good thing indeed 👍 I can't say I don't do the same, but it feels me with joy when I'm not the only who does it ;)

Good time trial there, man 👍 The Volvo just managed to squeeze by the NSX's time, well done David :lol: I would be pìssed too had I been beaten by a Volvo.

By the way, there's a small mistake on the post. You forgot to put the tag in the 9th picture from top to bottom. About images, I also have to tell you something. I'm really, really grateful that you put images just about the right size, so we don't have to scroll from left to right continuosly as some members do on their stories :grumpy:

Glad to see this is living up to my expectations. Back on what you said in my thread, I can also say you are deviating from the "Initial D norm" ;)

See? I told you I would post a comment j/k :lol:[/QUOTE]

Heh. :D The thing is, though, is that the whole Volvo winning races thing was kicked off when I play with my friends and I usually go for something really slow like a Corsa or a Bluebird, yet I'd still manage to win by the fraction of a second. The NSX v Volvo wet race was the actual times I posted when I took both cars around the track, so I just wrote it in :sly:.

[quote="S-Line Audi Fan, post: 3419405"][B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]:big applause: The chapter is incredible.. It's just awesomeness in there.. A loss? - Great, man.. I'm really happy you did something like this, because it pisses me off when I see people writing stories, where the main character's never losing :grumpy:..[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]That's so true.. The picture size is just perfect for a story.. I can't stand chapters where the pictures are so big that you've to scroll to the right, in order to be able to read the text 👎..

Your story is different from others and that makes it something special.. Your writing style is incredibly good and the story itself is designed to be very interesting.. 👍 Keep up the good work! :)[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm trying to keep the story interesting for the fact it's just a story about a guy who works nights and races a Volvo, but I'm also toying around with an idea that might not go down so well...

We'll just have to see how it pans out :D.

Where did you come up with the name of the story?

*blows the cobwebs out*

Ooookay, for those of you still there, don't give up hope! I've just been WOEFULLY buried under like, a massive pile of crap (life is sooooo overrated :sly:), but I can say that by Sunday, I'll have a nice BIG juicy chapter up!

Just so you don't get too bored waiting...
img0205zog.jpg

I don't know whether you'll love me or hate me for this... :D

That's great, man 👍

A new Volvo, huh? I think I may know where this is heading. It will be tough to think which one of the two possible scenarios already pictured in my mind will you choose...

BTW, I need to blow the cobwebs in my story too :lol:

Chapter 5: Out With The Old. In With The... Old?

img0195d.jpg

Monday morning. Tia and Eddie are around my place again. Only the Punto is currently parked up, seeing as Eddies' S2000 is still in the repair shop. I asked him how much longer it's going to take until it's fighting fit again.

"Dunno. Give or take, about 3 days or so?" he replied.
"Aren't you just fixing the transmission?"
"Yeah, but while it's up on the pillars, why not tinker around a little bit?"
Eddie tapped the side of his nose, and we didn't say anything more about it. Sounds interesting, certainly. But if I know Eddie, I hope he's been sensible about it...

"Okay, I'm going to get the drinks. Be right back."
"I'll come help you, then." Tia pips up.

As we're in the kitchen getting everything all sorted out, she steps back and folds her arms.

"I hope you're not going to make this a regular thing, David. You should know better."

"...getting the drinks?"
Tia sighs.
"Don't play dumb. I've seen the videos. It's pretty dangerous, don't you think? I mean, one false move and BAM," she hits her palm with her fist "You're gone. On the race track, I have no say, but I don't think your Mom would be very amused if she found out."

My turn to sigh.
"No, I guess not. But that was a one time thing. Besides, the streets were empty. I was being sensible. And besides, if I got into a crash, it's not like I'd come to much harm, is it? Have you seen my car? You'd need to throw it off a cliff before you'd notice anything wrong!"

img0196t.jpg

"I guess. But just be careful, alright? It'd suck to have to carpool with you." She winks at me.
"Another late Monday night, too. Might see you on my way home. Now, lets get these drinks out. I don't think Eddie does too well in conversations that last more than 5 minutes..."

---

"Oh, well, if you insist!"

img0197f.jpg

The conversation I had just 11 hours previously completely slipped my mind. And with the highway nice and empty, where's the harm?

img0198wru.jpg

The Micra is putting up a hell of a fight, though. I can hear the little engine screaming in frustration. A far cry from the driver, though. He's just in this for a laugh, and it shows.

img0198wru.jpg

All that's audible on my side though is the small burble coming from my engine as I idle at 2500RPM. It's almost soothing. But it's late, and I've got a longer day tomorrow, so I guess I've got to take off. I give the Micra driver a quick thumbs up, and then floor it.

img0199r.jpg

Okay, I guess that was quite unfair. I mean, this car runs close to 300 horses now, even discounting the weight of the thing an--.

img0144h.jpg

"WHAT THE FU--"

No time to complete that sentence. I quickly slam on the brakes to avoid slamming into the back of him at 160MPH.

img0141s.jpg

The rear wheels lock. Not good. The car in front is nowhere to be seen now. I'm losing control. Strangely, I feel calm. Almost peaceful.

img0142.jpg

Well, crunch time now. Not much else I can do, excep--.
---
img0147i.jpg

"... the hell is that?"

img0143wmg.jpg

"Oh my God... David?!"
"David, wake up!"

I slowly open my eyes. Feet? Check. Legs? Check, Torso? Check. Arms? Check. Head?

"Aaaah. Feels like I've been hit in the head with an anvil..."
My forehead is resting on the steering wheel. That's probably why.

"What the hell happened?! Here, let me help you..."

As I stumble out of my car, aided by an angel in a thin disguise, I take stock of my Volvo. Somehow managed to bounce off one side and slam into the other. Huh, damage doesn't look too bad... hell, I'll find out along the way. As I make my move, a hand closes around my arm. Tight.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?"
"...uhhh...home?"
"I don't think so. Not in that, at any rate. We're calling a tow truck, and you're telling me what happened. Come on, sit down in my car for a bit, I'll only be a minute."

I fall into the passenger seat of the Punto, and put my head in my hands. Then regret it. I decide to see what I look like by using the mirror in the sun-visor. Great. A bruise stretching across my forehead was already starting to show from where I'd smashed into the steering wheel. Mustn't have been out for long, though. It's not so bad yet.

While Tia is busy getting the tow truck sorted out, I need to get my story straight. And as I sat there, putting together the fragments of five minutes ago, I started coming to a conclusion, and I didn't like it. How could anyone be that petty...?

The tow truck came and took the ravaged corpse of the 240 away. Did a hell of a lot more damage than I thought. The engine was dragging on the floor when it was pulled away from the wall. So much for a few dents and scrapes. The police arrived too. Asked a few questions about the circumstances. I said I was cut up and lost control. They say it's a shame there's no surveillance in the nearby area, but since I've got a clean license and held it for some time, there's no suspicion on my end.

img0145j.jpg

"So what happened, anyway? I heard you say you was cut up."
"Yeah, after a fashion... Say, a... black sports car didn't go past you at any point, did it?"
"Huh... something did, but it was going to fast to make out. Was that what made you crash?"
"Mm. It cut in front of me, and slammed it's brakes. I did the same. And ended up in a wall."
"What was it?"

It's make or break time. But it's not like much will happen if I divulge my thoughts on the matter, anyway.

"I think it was an NSX. Samuels' NSX."

img0146j.jpg

"...what?"

I decide to head her off before she asks the inevitable.

"No, I haven't been drinking. It might be because of the concussion, so I'm not thinking entirely straight, but the profile... the sound... it all points in his direction."

"Bu--"

"I know there's almost no way to pin it on him, but it's all I can think of. There's not much else around here faster than his NSX, and the shape is pretty distinctive."

Tia looks thoughtful for a moment.

"Okay, if what you're saying is true, there's only one question to ask here. Why?"

I pinch the bridge of my nose. I honestly don't know the answer. A furitive thought crosses my mind. ...but no one, no one can be that petty, right?

"Dunno, maybe he was racing someone and I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time?"

I don't think she's bought it, but she keeps a pointed silence. Just as well. I'm dreading how I'm going to explain this to Mother... we have an excellent insurance policy, fair enough, and she was hinting at getting a better car... but I doubt planting the 240 into the wall was exactly the way she wanted to go into obtaining a new vehicle...

"What are you going to do for tomorrow, David?"
"I guess I'll give the insurance people a ring. Our policy has a courtesy car thrown in, so I guess that's better than nothing."
"How're you getting there?"
"...good question."
"Don't worry, I'll send Eddie over, give him a chance to show of-- I mean, test his car."
"He finally got it repaired?"
"...yeah, among other things. Picked it up earlier this evening, hasn't taken his eyes off it."
"Well, to be fair, he was like that the first time he took delivery of it. Can't blame a guy for having pride, huh?"

We pulled up to my house. The lights in the kitchen were on, visible. I'll prepare myself for the worst. Not the shouting, no. Just that tone of disappointment in her voice... with circumstances as it is, this was probably the last thing we needed.

"Thanks for the... well, thank you for being there when you were, Tia. See you around."
"I'm just glad I was there when I was. Take care, now."

I give her a smile mingled with grimace as she pulls away. My head hurts.
...and that's all I can think of right now. My head hurts. I caught sight of myself in the wingmirror of the Punto on the way here. Definately worse for wear, when all's said and done. Busy day, late night, car crash. Perhaps a divine intervention, telling me to find a better job? Wishful thinking on the God's parts, most certainly.

The exchange with Mother was a short one. She was sitting in the kitchen, looking paler than usual.
"David! When I got the call from the police I--I ha--"
"It's okay, Mother, I'm fine. Just a headache, that's all."
"What the hell happened?! All the officer said was that you'd been involved in a car crash and the damage was quite significant..."
"Yeah, it's a total wreck."
"How did yo--"
"I was cut up by a street racer. The speed trap taken by an officer a few blocks away fits in with the time of my accident if he was heading the same way, and the description of the car matches the one given by the speed trap officer."
I rehearsed how I was going to say that. I wasn't feeling well enough for pulling answers together spontaneously. Mother looked pensive for a moment, then finally spoke.
"...well, so long as you're alright. Are you?"
"Yeah, I just need a lie down. The paramedic gave me the ok, just a light concussion. I should be fine for tomorrow. Give the insurance company a call, get all that sorted out."
"...but I was so worried, Dav--"
I lent in and gave her a reassuring hug.
"Don't worry, I'm more sensible than I look. And I know if I go and get myself killed, you'd bring me back just to throttle me yourself."
She gave a weak laugh.
"At least you didn't lose your sense of humour."
She pulled away.
"I'll see you in the morning, Mother. I dare say I need an early... morning."
"Night, David."

As I enter the room and approach the bed, I'm out before I hit the matress.
---

Last edited:
Goodbye Volvo 240.*salutes*. This story is very different to the norm, I like it a lot.

Adios, Volvo. It really punched above its weight.

New decree: Never believe anything I say ever again :D

Well, if any of you still remember me (I doubt it :P), I'm picking this up again. No promises this time, but now some stuff as gone by, and my academic future looks a bit more certain (at least, I might actually be able to fully see this year out :sly:), I've got a lot more time to spend on the important things. You guys, of course :D

oh and ive been having an affair with this particular franchise, but don't worry, there's enough Sabre to go around! :D It just felt nice to play a game with some American cars, y'know? Ironic, that I chose Asia as my starting continent... but oh well, I've got my Chevelle, I'm happy! 👍

I have read through the whole story and I must say, you did a really great job so far!

A big round of applause is in order...

Oh wait, you can't hear it over a forum. Oh well. (Loud Theatrical Applause)

Chapter 5: Out With The Old. In With The... Old? Part 2
Knock, knock. Argh, my head. Feels like I was hit with a hammer. Well, hammer I say. Those old Volvos are built like oil tankers...
I move from the refuge of the kitchen to answer the front door. I'm only expecting one visitor today. And I can only wonder who it is...

img0200t.jpg

"So, what do you think?" Eddie has an incredible grin on his face. It's easy to see why. Apart from the obvious difference, it seems a little more... aggressive.

"New rims, huh? Suspension package?"

"Yeah, I added an aftermarket suspension package. Not too noticeable now, since I haven't toyed around with it much, but it corners somewhat better now. I picked up the rims fairly cheaply at the track, and they're somewhat lighter than the old ones. New transmission, shorter gearing but more responsive and a lot more durable, along with a faster clutch. Oh, and I changed the layout of the gears. No more accidentally shifting into reverse from 4th..."

Eddie ends on a slightly abashed note.

"At least you didn't pile it into an Armco barrier then a brick wall all in the same night..."

"Yeah, Tia told me about that? What the hell happened?"

"Short story, but I'll tell you on the way. Just got off the phone to the insurance guys, as it happens. They've got a car ready and waiting for me downtown."

"Did they say what it was?"

"...no, I forgot to ask." I utter sheepishly.

Eddie lights up at this mystery car prospect.

"Heeey, maybe it's something really cool! Like an Audi S4, or an Evo 7..."

I say goodbye to Mother, and we both bundle into the car. I attempt to stem the tirade of fast and exotic cars by telling Eddie that it's just a normal courtesy car from an insurance company.

"...like a Focus, or a WagonR." I conclude.

Eddie looks slightly crestfallen.

"...oh. Okay. Anyways, the crash. We've got a while to go yet, so you might as well tell me about it."

I recount my story to him, racking my brains to try and get a clearer picture of the car. One image floats towards the front of my mind, probably just before I lost total consciousness.

img0216pe.jpg

"...I just can't put any other car to it. Those brake lights are incredibly distinctive, and that engine note... call me suspicious or whatever, but that's what I'm sticking to. No way to prove it, however."

img0201f.jpg

Eddie mulls it over.

"Are you sure? No one can be THAT petty."

img0202f.jpg

"No, I'm not sure, but I don't know what else to make of it. The NSX isn't exactly a common car, even in Japan. It's a little too much to make a coincidence about it."

img0203z.jpg

"Well, at least it's a good thing my sister found you quickly, eh?"

"Yeah, without a doubt. Thanks for the ride, by the way. I'd hate to have to use public transport again after all these years."

img0204o.jpg

"No problem. The place is just around the corner from here, right?"

---
img0206kw.jpg

img0205pqo.jpg

"...Eddie?"

"Yeah?"

"Hold me."

---

img0186o.jpg

"Christ, this thing pulls something fierce!"

Okay, slightly irresponsible, especially considering the events of last night, but when you're in one of these, it's just literally begging you to take it up the mountains for a spin.

img0187g.jpg

The R32 driver seems a bit disconcerted by the sudden appearance of an S40 along side his 3.2 litre VR6 equipped Golf. He puts his foot down and we battle down the main straight.

img0188q.jpg

"How are you keeping up with him, David?"

"Straight 5 turbo charged engine. Same one they stick in that Focus RS model they've been showing off recently."

img0189xv.jpg

We pass the R32 and a Legacy into the corner and set our sights on an Integra Type R. This road is famous for street racing, and he seems to have got the message, as he speeds up as we barrel along behind him.

img0190ri.jpg

He struggles with understeer though, allowing me to break harder and later than him to take the inside lines. Just as a Volvo should. We zero on on our last target, a Nissan Stagea.

img0191oq.jpg

I'm caning it, and although try as hard as I can, there's no matching the Stagea for cornering or straight line speed. The driver isn't even trying!

img0193lg.jpg

The tyres smoke and scream in frustration, unable to provide me with the tight turning ability I need. All too soon, we're back in police patrolled areas, and he's the clear winner.

img0194v.jpg

Alas, it's not the greatest car in the world, but I couldn't be more pleased, even if I know I only have it until the insurance claim comes through.

"Man, that was amazing! Even my S2000 seems a bit--. Actually, no, I'm lying, my S2000 is miles better, but even so, that was just awesome!"

img0192qi.jpg

"Heh, that sounds like fighting talk! I'd make you eat your words, but I don't think these tyres can take much more. And the insurance people probably don't want to see the steel underneath the rubber."

"That was fun. You working tonight?"

"Yeah."

"You might bump into Tia again. She's had one of her lessons rescheduled. Hopefully not under the same circumstances though, right?"

"You got that right. Now lets get back to your car before it's given a parking ticket. We only paid for two hours."

"Right!"

---

It's the dead of night, and I'm cruising along the highway. The car, it's so comfortable, that 5 cylinder burble is really soothing. And the handling is so smoot--. Wait, those vibrations aren't normal. Certainly ain't coming from my car. What the hell?

img0212j.jpg

I look in the wing mirror, and for the next few seconds, my eyes catch these images:

img0002hf.jpg

img0005ez.jpg

img0004vs.jpg

"What in--"

img0217i.jpg

"...EDDIE?!"

img0218yr.jpg

No doubt about it, that's Eddie. That's his S2000. But what the flying finn does he think he's doing?

What happened to my peaceful nights? Car crashes, and now my friends are spontaneously street racing? I don't like where this is going...

---
Next chapter:

img0001hnk.jpg

A sign of things to come, perhaps?

So... uhh... yeah, I'm back for an undetermined amount of time, whether or not you guys still remember me or if I'm still welcome even though I fail to keep promises :scared:.

Well, as you can see, I recently invested in a copy of Tourist Trophy and I've got to offer some form of kudos to Lucas, as I'm not sure if I'm just blatantly ripping him off here or not :crazy:. Either way, I also have to attribute this update to InvincibleGT for perhaps stoking the smouldering ashes of my GT fire :D

Sorry for the picture heavy update, but I just love taking photos :sly:.

I guess I better get my arse into gear if I want this story to move out of Japan any time soon, as well. It's getting mighty boring on these islands, isn't it? :dopey:

Enjoy 👍

Some of the pictures are missing bits. As in, the bottom parts are grey. Is it just my computer, my browser, my modem or broken links?

If you're a Firefox user, just go to Tools, Clear Private Data and check the Clear Cache box. If you're an IE user, just go to Tools, Internet Options, Click the Delete... button under the browsing history section and check "Temporary Internet Files" :P

Back