The Race to 6:59.999. King of The Ring Challenge.

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 250 comments
United States
New York
thepatriots
nurburgring-nordschleife.jpg
N%C3%BCrburgring-Nordschleife.jpg
0811_01_z+nurburgring_nordschleife_racetrack+2009_dodge_viper_sRT10_aCR.jpg
car_photo_226533_7.jpg

I genuinely think this is the hardest, realistic, challenge one can devise. The Nurburgring is arguably the hardest, most challenging and overall brutal tracks in the world and in GT5. For years auto manufacturers have competed with one another over top bragging rights. The question remains, which stock, production,road car is the fastest around the legendary circuit in GT5?

Undoubtedly the quickest car will set a very fast time. Breaking minute barriers holds a special enigmatic quality. The 10 minute mark at Pikes Peak is legendary. For some time 8 minutes was legendary at The Ring. Now we face 7. No production road car has broken it in real life (No, I do not consider the Radical SR8 LM to be a road car). Can a car do it in GT5?

This challenge is two parts. First a time trial of the fastest street legal road cars in GT5, for bragging rights and prestige. And second, a challenge, to find a road car and a driver that can break 7 minutes.

The rules:
- Honor code. (Very few of these rules can be enforced. You are on your honor to not cheat and break the rules and claim you did something which you did not)
- Must drive on the Nurburgring Nordschleife
- Car MUST BE BONE STOCK! (If a car has tuning options as stock, you are allowed to tune the car. No spoilers, body kits or rim changes either.)
- Must be a street legal road car that exists in the real world. (This excludes concepts. If the car is questionable, online links to prove its legality must be provided in order to validate the time.)
- Standard or premium does not matter.
- Must have sports hard tires (SH). (If a reasonable case can be given for a certain car to have SM because its GT5 counterpart would be made more realistic when compared to its real life counterpart I will hear that case. Don't hold your breath as this will make things a little too easy for 99% of cars)
- HP and torque must be within +/- 5hp/ft-lbs/lbs of the real life stock car (You may use the engine and chassis rebuild. You may also power limiter, oil changes, car wash and ballast to achieve this. This accounts for PD's weird stats system).
- No aids, including the driving line, and excluding ABS which can be set to 1, or be turned off.
- Standard cars are ok.
- Only entries that include your PSN and a link to a video of the full lap or a link to download the replay data will be added to the OP. No exceptions. (camera phone video is ok as long as the final time can be made out)
- If a time beats 7 min, you must provide exhaustive proof that it follows the rules stated in this post.
- Must be in offline mode. Either GTLife timetrial or arcade timetrial.
- Finally and most importantly, you must give it your all.

I really want to come up with some form of prize for the first person who breaks 7 min in a stock street car. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Also I will take suggestions for rule changes, but again, don't hold your breath.

7 Minute Challenge Record Breaker
1st -
Here it is:

I know the quality isn't great but I only have my Android phone to record.

Big congrats to Peluski17 for being the first to officially break the 7 minute mark!

2nd -
Peluski17 does it again with the Amuse S2000 GT1*

*please note the production and street legality of this car is in question.

3rd -
Managed a 6'59.784 in the Mclaren F1. Stock weight and limited to 632bhp.

4th -

Here it is. Not the best lap by any means but still pretty fast. Ill get another one up after go faster.

Amuse S2000 GT1 - 6:58.219

5th -

Here it is. My first sector wasn't as smooth as I would like, but I'm very pleased with the remainder of the lap.

Production Car Leaderboard
-
-
-
-

Links
Current production car leader board
Helpful track guide made by BMW and Sport Auto
Video drive with useful commentary of the 24hr circuit

Gumpert Apollo Speed Current Record Run

Pagani Zonda R old record run (skip to 1:30)
[YOUTUBEHD]euHkl9SVYTY[/YOUTUBEHD]
RUF Yellowbird awesome run

You may think the Veyron will be easy... not really the case. With SH it understeers like crazy. Remember no modifications... no torque converter. You have to play as is. With SM, I could definitely see it. But given the car's real life time on The Ring, even if conservative, I do not feel it should be allowed. My money is on the Mclaren F1.

Last edited:
i will give this a go, got a 6.50 in a modded Focus ST.
wil find something to give it a go in

you should make it no driving line :\

If you need a driving line, you aren't good enough, nor well the course well enough to set a record time. A good driver will beat the racing line every time.

I'm going to do this in the Lexus LF-A. Because I like it. If anyone wishes to challenge me, be my guest. I know it won't be the fastest.

Are we allowed to slap on spoilers? By that I do only mean rear-trunk spoilers, and not front hood mounted air deflectors/etc

I'll call BS on this one. I always use Driving Line.

The driving line is wrong in terms of braking point, the actual line and amount of braking required virtually everywhere. Anyone with half a brain will be quicker than a zombie who isnt playing GT5, but rather, "Mindlessly Follow The Pretty Red/Blue Line 5"

I'll call BS on this one. I always use Driving Line.

I promise you that if you turn it off and actually commit the tracks to memory, you will be much, much faster and much smoother as well. I find it takes much longer to become familiar with a track if you have that stupid line on.

Sounds like a good challenge. I'll give it a try in the Mclaren F1 if I am home tonight.

I agree about the driving line. It's good to learn the game but it slows you down when you get better.

Last edited:
The driving line is wrong in terms of braking point, the actual line and amount of braking required virtually everywhere. Anyone with half a brain will be quicker than a zombie who isnt playing GT5, but rather, "Mindlessly Follow The Pretty Red/Blue Line 5"

I promise you that if you turn it off and actually commit the tracks to memory, you will be much, much faster and much smoother as well. I find it takes much longer to become familiar with a track if you have that stupid line on.

I disagree and I'm willing to take it to the track if need be.
You'll both probably tell me I shouldn't use AT or Chase Cam, but I do.
I do agree with Cosmo about memorizing the track, but unfortunately that *only works, for people who don't change cars very often. I like to use a lot of different cars and there's no way I can memorize every braking point, of every corner, of every track, for every different car. The driving line is very convenient for the amount of variation I experience through a normal night of racing.

Also, just because the line is there, doesn't mean I'm required to follow it to the T, for it to be effective.

*Blanket statement, used as an exaggeration to prove a point, not necessarily accurate.

I do agree with Cosmo about memorizing the track, but unfortunately that *only works, for people who don't change cars very often. I like to use a lot of different cars and there's no way I can memorize every braking point, of every corner, of every track, for every different car. The driving line is very convenient for the amount of variation I experience through a normal night of racing.

Also, just because the line is there, doesn't mean I'm required to follow it to the T, for it to be effective.

*Blanket statement, used as an exaggeration to prove a point, not necessarily accurate.

I hardly use the same car twice in a row and I still find it better to drive without the line. I think it has to do with the chase cam. Whenever I use that I dont 'feel' how fast I'm going in a corner so a driving line would help alot. I like to use it sometimes though to see the cars I'm driving:)

On-topic. Do you really need a video proving everything?

Brilliant idea :) I know I won't be able to get close to beating 7mins.. but the best of luck to the people trying. Hoping to see some really fast runs :)

Of course you are always free to drive the way you like. It's all personal preference. However, your argument is flawed in this respect. You memorize the track it doesn't matter which car you use. You get a feel for where the breaking points are and by that knowledge and your knowledge of the car you develop an excellent idea where to break for each car.

Let me ask you this? Do the real drivers have a driving line? Do they use a chase cam? Kaz used his "virtual" (GT) knowledge of Nurb to be the fastest driver on his team at last years 24hr event. You don't need a driving line, you don't need a chase cam to be really good at this track.

You don't need a driving line, you don't need a chase cam to be really good at this track.

I've never said anything of the sort.
My only qualm was with the blanket statement of 'If you need a driving line, you aren't good enough'
No more, no less.

Good challenge, but I think HUD should be allowed, you say there is no hud in real life, yet there is, as well as alot of other sensations not possible ingame. (Thats just my opinion)

Shouldn't be too hard, the GTR can beat 7:30 pretty well, problem will be the tires.

Adrenaline
My only qualm was with the blanket statement of 'If you need a driving line, you aren't good enough'
No more, no less.

Sounds to me like you personally could drive the nurburgring fine without the driving line, you only use it as a reference point. I agree with the original point, if someone can't drive the nurburgring properly with the driving line turned off they have no chance at even coming close to 7:00 within the rules of the challenge.

- No HUD. (There is no hud in real life. It also makes things harder than you may realize.)

This means if I use a standard car, I'll have no way of reading my speed or RPM. This is further removed from reality than using a HUD, so I have to disagree with you on this rule.

I've done 7:07 in a stock McLaren F1 with sports hard, I think I'll be able to beat this. Will give it a go!

No more, no less.

If you follow the driving line, you are not going to be fast.
If you don't follow it but only use it as a reference, you don't need it.

If you follow the driving line, you are not going to be fast.
If you don't follow it but only use it as a reference, you don't need it.
Need and preference aren't the same. Same can be said for controllers, camera view, etc, etc. The guy's preference for the driving line doesn't mean he's a bad driver.

This idea is already up and running in a slightly different format here...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201374

Based on the results in the above thread I think you'll struggle to find many road cars that will run sub 7 minutes with stock/without any tuning.

The F1 and Viper ACR might manage it, but the R390 road car doesn't fit your criteria as far as I know Nissan never actually sold one.

Back