The Race to 6:59.999. King of The Ring Challenge.

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 250 comments
I've just tried the Enzo- though didn't complete a full lap.

I reckon this or the McLaren has a pretty good chance.

This idea is already up and running in a slightly different format here...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201374

Based on the results in the above thread I think you'll struggle to find many road cars that will run sub 7 minutes with stock/without any tuning.

The F1 and Viper ACR might manage it, but the R390 road car doesn't fit your criteria as far as I know Nissan never actually sold one.

Hmm, I may make and exception because from what I can find, it was intended to go into production and is in fact street legal. That and the Amuse S2000 GT1 are tough calls. Will think them over.

Last edited:
Got 7:35 with a minor mistake in the LF-A. I left nothing on the table. I think it is capable of 7:25 or lower with a perfect lap.

599GTB was miles less twitchy, but also slower. Best I managed was 7:41

I've been looking for something to get me back into GT5 since the PSN hack, I look forward to taking this on (and more than likely doing it in a car which turns out to be invalid).

Got 7:35 with a minor mistake in the LF-A. I left nothing on the table. I think it is capable of 7:25 or lower with a perfect lap.

599GTB was miles less twitchy, but also slower. Best I managed was 7:41

The LFA can get below 7:20. But only by about a second.

Mhh 7:29.xxx with the R8 5.2 and 7:30.xxx with the SLS... seems impossible to me with an stock street car...

I think they tune the cars in this thread

6.51.xxx with the stock R8 5.2 and sport hards?? NEVER EVER!! No matter how bad I am driving but it is impossible that he is 40 seconds faster...

Mhh 7:29.xxx with the R8 5.2 and 7:30.xxx with the SLS... seems impossible to me with an stock street car...

I think they tune the cars in this thread

6.51.xxx with the stock R8 5.2 and sport hards?? NEVER EVER!! No matter how bad I am driving but it is impossible that he is 40 seconds faster...

Try the Mclaren F1 and the TVR speed 12. I know the S200 GT1 can get close, but I am still researching its legality and overall history. Also try the Enzo. I am confident with the right driver its possible.

Also people don't forget, there are two parts for this challenge. If you do not want to go after 7 minutes post your best time in a stock car.

6:59.375 with a stock McLaren F1 (627bhp, 1140kg)
You can download the replay here.

Tried this out of curiosity and it was actually easier than I thought to get under 7 minutes. That lap was my 5th or so lap. Have to say the F1 is one beast of a car. So much grip even on sports hards and enormous amounts of power. The lap I did was far from being even a good lap so I think the car has the potential to even beat 6:50. Have to try some other hypercars as well to see which ones are capable of going under 7 minutes.

I'll ask a buddy of mine to capture the replay and upload it to youtube later tonight if I see him online.

EDIT: just tried with Tommykaira ZZII and got a 7:03.xxx so with a clean, good lap it can do sub-7 as well.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that's how the vast majority of stock cars handle in GT5!

try the R8 5.2, SH.. it will prove you wrong.

I've just tried the Enzo- though didn't complete a full lap.

I reckon this or the McLaren has a pretty good chance.

good luck with Enzo.. Without suspension tuning and on SH.. it is imposible.

Last edited by a moderator:
This means if I use a standard car, I'll have no way of reading my speed or RPM. This is further removed from reality than using a HUD, so I have to disagree with you on this rule.

I've done 7:07 in a stock McLaren F1 with sports hard, I think I'll be able to beat this. Will give it a go!

Exactly! I'm sure the OP doesn't mean that this challenge is only for Premia.

Let me ask you this? Do the real drivers have a driving line? Do they use a chase cam? Kaz used his "virtual" (GT) knowledge of Nurb to be the fastest driver on his team at last years 24hr event. You don't need a driving line, you don't need a chase cam to be really good at this track.

You can't really compare real drivers to GT5 drivers though, can you? I mean, real drivers have years and years of experience (seeing as they generally start racing as children), they feel G-forces, they feel what the car is doing and they also have a sensation of speed that we don't. I think to balance it so that the average GT player can put in lap times that are within 10 seconds of a professional we do need a certain amount of help, I mean without, say, the flashing gear number and without the racing line, where would we start to learn?

Then again I completely agree that once you learn the track and the car (which shouldn't take more than a single lap of the 'ring), you don't need any help. I say that; I've never done a lap of the 'ring with the line on as I started racing it in GT4, yet I still can't do a single lap without coming off at least once.

On topic: I'm so going to try this. I'll probably go through the street tuned S2000's (probably not go as far as the GT1 Turbo) and see how that goes. It's things like this that help maintain interest in GT5 for me.

You can't really compare real drivers to GT5 drivers though, can you? I mean, real drivers have years and years of experience (seeing as they generally start racing as children), they feel G-forces, they feel what the car is doing and they also have a sensation of speed that we don't. I think to balance it so that the average GT player can put in lap times that are within 10 seconds of a professional we do need a certain amount of help, I mean without, say, the flashing gear number and without the racing line, where would we start to learn?

Then again I completely agree that once you learn the track and the car (which shouldn't take more than a single lap of the 'ring), you don't need any help. I say that; I've never done a lap of the 'ring with the line on as I started racing it in GT4, yet I still can't do a single lap without coming off at least once.

On topic: I'm so going to try this. I'll probably go through the street tuned S2000's (probably not go as far as the GT1 Turbo) and see how that goes. It's things like this that help maintain interest in GT5 for me.

Really? Hmm. I was able to complete the 4 hour enduro without going off once. In fact my non-pit laps (even with the broke ass GP course added on) were all within a few seconds of each other. The 'ring is the best track ever. I love it.

6:59.375 with a stock McLaren F1 (627bhp, 1140kg)
You can download the replay here.

Tried this out of curiosity and it was actually easier than I thought to get under 7 minutes. That lap was my 5th or so lap. Have to say the F1 is one beast of a car. So much grip even on sports hards and enormous amounts of power. The lap I did was far from being even a good lap so I think the car has the potential to even beat 6:50. Have to try some other hypercars as well to see which ones are capable of going under 7 minutes.

I'll ask a buddy of mine to capture the replay and upload it to youtube later tonight if I see him online.

EDIT: just tried with Tommykaira ZZII and got a 7:03.xxx so with a clean, good lap it can do sub-7 as well.

I will watch the replay. Just FYI my fishy detector will be set to max.

If you think it is easier in real life than on GT5 where the worst that can happen is hearing the sound of a rubber mallet hitting a scrap yard car door then you are very, very wrong!

If you think it is easier in real life than on GT5 where the worst that can happen is hearing the sound of a rubber mallet hitting a scrap yard car door then you are very, very wrong!

That's not what I was saying, I was saying that in real life a racing driver is pretty much raised to be a good driver, your average GT player isn't. Then add in the extra senses you have in real life with which to judge how you should be driving, and you'd hopefully agree that GT5 does need artificial (i.e. unrealistic) driving aids that inexperienced players can use to at least learn how to drive in GT5, because driving in real life and in GT5 are in no way the same, right?

In fact the only reason an inexperienced driver would be faster in GT5 than in real life is because they have no fear, so I agree with that. Having been to the 'ring in real life I can tell you in no uncertain terms it's very, very difficult to be fast there, the G-forces are just insane and the threat of ending up in the Armco or another car and having to pay for it all (if you survive, that is) kind of puts you off. Those, however, aren't as much of a problem for a professional racing driver with a professionally prepared car (we had a 1997 Impreza 2000 Turbo, which in 2007 (when we went) was already 10 years old!).

So no, I don't think it's easier in real life, but it is far easier for a trained, professional racing driver to be fast than it is for a gamer playing GT5. Wait, that sounds like a contradiction; I mean if an inexperienced GT5 player was given an identical car and was sent off on a lap at the Nürburgring, they'd be far slower than in the game. If you gave a professional racing driver GT5, they'd be faster than in real life because of the lack of fear, probably.

Really? Hmm. I was able to complete the 4 hour enduro without going off once. In fact my non-pit laps (even with the broke ass GP course added on) were all within a few seconds of each other. The 'ring is the best track ever. I love it.

I'm not saying it's not possible, just that I can't do it, my memory is not that good and after two laps my concentration is even worse. I've been told I have basically no working memory and I can't remember what I did 10 minutes ago, so that might have something to do with it. Also I rarely drive on the 'ring outside of races where I have to, not because I don't like it but because I can't set consistent lap times there for it to be of any use to me.

Also I rarely drive on the 'ring outside of races where I have to, not because I don't like it but because I can't set consistent lap times there for it to be of any use to me.

Thats the reason I started setting up a lobby for myself with tyre wear off and just whizzing around it for an hour or two, so I had the ability to set consistent, good times. Admittedly I still end up crashing on a decent percentage of laps but thats what comes with pushing it. If i just try to go 95% of my pace around the ring I can set a pretty fast lap with almost no danger of going off.

I also like taking an odd "outside" line on corners, or compromise the entry for an amazing exit on corners like Bergwerk so you can pull an overtake very quickly out of the corner online.

Not saying its the best way to learn the ring but I enjoy it.

Thats the reason I started setting up a lobby for myself with tyre wear off and just whizzing around it for an hour or two, so I had the ability to set consistent, good times. Admittedly I still end up crashing on a decent percentage of laps but thats what comes with pushing it. If i just try to go 95% of my pace around the ring I can set a pretty fast lap with almost no danger of going off.

I also like taking an odd "outside" line on corners, or compromise the entry for an amazing exit on corners like Bergwerk so you can pull an overtake very quickly out of the corner online.

Not saying its the best way to learn the ring but I enjoy it.

The very second I left my computer after my last post I started the 'ring 4 hour endurance in an ARTA NSX... After an hour and a half I'm still bouncing off the walls at random places on the track, it's never the same corner twice though so maybe I'm sort of learning? Maybe if someone were to take my food away and said I can't have any until I do a perfect lap I'll get the hang of it.

Needless to say, 7 minutes is out of my reach at the moment!

Did a 6.45,854 with the Pagani Zonda on sport hard tires.
I had my HUD switched on because i tryed to beat Marc Bassengs 6.47 rekord with the Zonda: I think those Pirelli tires on the Zonda are closer to SM or SW tires in GT.

Last edited:
I had my HUD switched on because i tryed to beat Marc Bassengs 6.47 rekord with the Zonda: I think those Pirelli tires on the Zonda are closer to SM or SW tires in GT.

The Zonda isn't a road car, and the record lap was run on slicks.

Mhh 2nd lap with the mclaren F1 - 7:14,380

I think my maximum will be 7:10,xxx

The car has too much understeer or the brakes are not that strong (5 - 5)... and you must mostly use the 3rd gear after corners or the rear breaks out...

Mhh 2nd lap with the mclaren F1 - 7:14,380

I think my maximum will be 7:10,xxx

The car has too much understeer or the brakes are not that strong (5 - 5)... and you must mostly use the 3rd gear after corners or the rear breaks out...

My best time has been 7:05.xx. Some tips for you...

Set brake bias to 5F 4R

Keep about 5-10% throttle mid corner. This car gets crazy after corner entry so it is vital to keep it stable mid corner.

Then for exit, its all about feathering out the throttle.

Since I drive very aggressively and the car is crazy, I saw at the wheel a lot on corner exit. But my entry is always super smooth.

Most important is to be able to carry your speed. Its the only way I can see beating 7 minutes. The car has great 100-150mph performance. The critical sections are the high speed back section before the first carousel, the downhill section starting just before the first large dip and ending 2 corners before the main straight and the last couple of corners.

The very second I left my computer after my last post I started the 'ring 4 hour endurance in an ARTA NSX... After an hour and a half I'm still bouncing off the walls at random places on the track, it's never the same corner twice though so maybe I'm sort of learning? Maybe if someone were to take my food away and said I can't have any until I do a perfect lap I'll get the hang of it.

Needless to say, 7 minutes is out of my reach at the moment!

Heh, I guess its more difficult if you aren't really enjoying yourself, and a huge stint at the ring can be frustrating. Just stick with it and establish the fastest you can get round each corner consistently.

Good luck.

I think those Pirelli tires on the Zonda are closer to SM or SW tires in GT.

What are SW tires? All 3 classes of tire are:
CH, CM, CS
SH, SM, SS
RH, RM, RS

With ice and dirt beyond those.

And there's another thread around here that has some good info about the comparison from in game tire to real world counterparts and how to best match them up to get the most real world experience in game. This would be a crucial component to this challenge since it would tend to put a given car on par with its real world twin.

Sry i used the german notation, it´s S3/SS.

I´ll try the McLaren next, think it´s the only car that has a real chance for a sub 7min time.

Last edited:
Must be no problem for you, you always were in top 10 in the firt GT Academy ;) I don´t know about 2nd GT Academy because I never played it...

7:00.3xx with the Tommykaira ZZII so it's just matter of time when it gets under 7 minutes. Although, I'm not sure if it qualifies for this challenge or not. Qualifies or not, I don't think it could beat the McLaren F1 anyway.

The HUD should be allowed from the simple standpoint of being able to see your speedometer and tachometer. I don't care about the shift points as I go by engine sound anyways, but the speedo and tach I use all the time, and I drive exclusively from the bumper cam view, not in car. In car is too limiting compared to reality since I can't look around by turning my head and am not about to try to get the PSEye going to track head movements. I say allow the HUD. The rest makes sense though.
I'm going to go buy a McLaren F1 and see what happens.

Back