*The Realisation T20 is out of your reach

• Thread starter GTP_rpm
  • 44 comments

GTP_rpm

Premium
GTP_rpm
Well, it's kind of bugging me.

I started early in the UK, putting in some good times and kept myself in the top 20 for the first few days. Now a handful into it, I'm just outside the top 20 and whilst I might be able to pull out a couple of blinders, it'll only get me 11th-20th and with so many days left I'm not sure how worthwhile my attempts will be.

I didn't set out to be T20 in the UK as I knew from Prologue that my peers on here would always outclass me in WRS' and other non-WRS leaderboards. I set a target of top 100 and surpassed my expectations but it's really been bothering me that now I feel I won't make the top 20.

Complete respect to those who will and those in other nations who are doing incredible laptimes.

But any words of wisdom from anyone else in a similar boat? This time even being 2000places above my friends in real life just doesn't inspire me...falling short of that T20 is playing on my mind like I've been dumped by a girlfriend, like a little piece of me had died inside when I realise there are AT LEAST 20 people better than me in the UK at this game.

Christmas love and help for a fellow GT'er? :guilty:

I started early in the UK, putting in some good times and kept myself in the top 20 for the first few days. Now a handful into it, I'm just outside the top 20 and whilst I might be able to pull out a couple of blinders, it'll only get me 11th-20th and with so many days left I'm not sure how worthwhile my attempts will be.

I didn't set out to be T20 in the UK as I knew from Prologue that my peers on here would always outclass me in WRS' and other non-WRS leaderboards. I set a target of top 100 and surpassed my expectations but it's really been bothering me that now I feel I won't make the top 20.

Complete respect to those who will and those in other nations who are doing incredible laptimes.

But any words of wisdom from anyone else in a similar boat? This time even being 2000places above my friends in real life just doesn't inspire me...falling short of that T20 is playing on my mind like I've been dumped by a girlfriend, like a little piece of me had died inside when I realise there are AT LEAST 20 people better than me in the UK at this game.

Spending hours driving around for little or no improvement? while the fastest just seem faster no matter how fast you go?
Yeah, I'm there, but fret not, you're faster than I.

But if I'm not mistaken, all you need is 20th or better, to go to the next round, so it seems like your definitely close enough to really, I mean REALLY go for it.
You have quite the substantial prize to aim for over there, don't waste it now...👍

I would be 94th. Actually I'm pretty happy about that, last I checked I was 118th for UK standing, so I definitely moved up a good bit.
But without a wheel I doubt I have to much more time left to gain, hopefully .4ish for each car, should get me inside the US top 20.

How do you know all those in the top 20 are valid entrants? I know at least some people who have put great times now are either underage or don't have a licence so their entries aren't valid. Go for it and stay as high up the leaderboard as you can.

I've got somewhat similar sentiments to yourself. I'm holding off for the last 2 weeks before I actually try and get a top 20 time in.

Christmas love you've got :cheers:

As for help, I'm going to tell you exactly what you've been telling me for the past week as I have been whingeing, bitching, moaning and bellyaching on MSN about how everyone else in my division is solidly kicking my hurting ass.

I left the PS3 15th or so yesterday, an hour or so after posting here I was 20th again. That is just the nature of the competition and as soon as you slip below the magic 20, the defeatist in us gains some ammunition.

You are currently 23rd in UK, a total combined time of +0.322 off the top TEN, nevermind top 20. You need to find 0.046 in the normal car and 0.276 in the tuned and you are in the top TEN!. Mate, that is 100% achievable for someone of your talent and ability.

Just get your head down, watch the replays (I have noticed the brake delay is not there when you watch the replays in the theatre as opposed to direct from leaderboard), and every session will bring an improvement. These improvements add up day after day. My current time is a fraction away from the laptimes I was gushing over from Carl and Bart but 2 days ago. It seems it takes me a whole day or so to figure out one more thing that GTDrivers Moose is doing that I previously was not. Luck is involved too, eventually, given enough laps it WILL come together.

You've always been quick be it pad, racing sim, GT5P (despite your own feelings on this) and straight away on the demo. You'll do it, of that I have no doubt.

I used your advice of switching cars as soon as I made an improvement, and it's paying dividends on a daily basis. As long as every day brings any sort of improvement, I'm on the right track.

You may have 22 people ahead of you, all that means is that there are 22 drivers in the UK that have managed microscopically better laps than you at 1.34 am on 28th Dec. That's all, nothing more.

Good luck with your laps tomorrow, I'm expecting a fast ghost to chase well into next week :cheers:

All the best
Maz

The best advice.. from a brand new 1`38 er... heh..

Is to watch YOUR replay. I was loading upt he fastest replays, courtesy of GT_Timeattack(here in the USA, hes at a 1`35), and nothing but bad lap after bad lap and I was constantly stuck at my 1:39:155. I think the problem was I wasn't learning, I was trying to mimic what Time Attack was doing, with terrible results. So I got rid of his replay, and just started racing myself to watch the time melt off.

I'm learning the track well, and will soon be in at least the top 250 here in the states. I can see from my own replay, where I'm screwing up, and plan accordingly. But the difference is that I can "feel" where I'm messing up, rather than when i watch another replay and just wonder if magic is propelling these guys around the track. Not only that, but you don't see where you're making mistakes with another replay loaded. I think that explains me consistently getting 1:39 for a few days. I was just repeating my same driving over and over again.

Hope this helps!

Im 808th in america! Probably 9000 by the time u read this, but still, its all i wanted for christmas! And now I can see that its just a matter of time.

As for help, I'm going to tell you exactly what you've been telling me for the past week as I have been whingeing, bitching, moaning and bellyaching on MSN about how everyone else in my division is solidly kicking my hurting ass.

I left the PS3 15th or so yesterday, an hour or so after posting here I was 20th again. That is just the nature of the competition and as soon as you slip below the magic 20, the defeatist in us gains some ammunition.

You are currently 23rd in UK, a total combined time of +0.322 off the top TEN, nevermind top 20. You need to find 0.046 in the normal car and 0.276 in the tuned and you are in the top TEN!. Mate, that is 100% achievable for someone of your talent and ability.

Just get your head down, watch the replays (I have noticed the brake delay is not there when you watch the replays in the theatre as opposed to direct from leaderboard), and every session will bring an improvement. These improvements add up day after day. My current time is a fraction away from the laptimes I was gushing over from Carl and Bart but 2 days ago. It seems it takes me a whole day or so to figure out one more thing that GTDrivers Moose is doing that I previously was not. Luck is involved too, eventually, given enough laps it WILL come together.

You've always been quick be it pad, racing sim, GT5P (despite your own feelings on this) and straight away on the demo. You'll do it, of that I have no doubt.

I used your advice of switching cars as soon as I made an improvement, and it's paying dividends on a daily basis. As long as every day brings any sort of improvement, I'm on the right track.

You may have 22 people ahead of you, all that means is that there are 22 drivers in the UK that have managed microscopically better laps than you at 1.34 am on 28th Dec. That's all, nothing more.

Good luck with your laps tomorrow, I'm expecting a fast ghost to chase well into next week :cheers:

All the best
Maz

What he said :lol: 👍

In this type of cutthroat competition, the person who gives up the fight to keep pushing is the one who will likely not make it to the next round, while the drivers who keep clawing (with a positive and optimistic mindset) each and every session for improvement will be the ones who come out in top in the end. IMO, it's not so much a contest of shear talent to get into the top 20, as much as it is a contest of shear determination, practice, studying, and the hunger to learn as much of the intricacies of the demo in the limited time you are given 👍 Like they say, and in the case of making the top 20 in UK, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but rather the size of the fight in the dog.

When it comes down to it, it's a matter of how badly do you want a shot at GT Academy? If you really want it and are dedicated and determined enough, you surely will make the top 20 given your talent mate 👍 It's just a matter of putting the time in, as I feel you have a lot more potential than you think...you just need to put your mind and determination to it, in order to find what you're capable of :)

In the case of the USA time trial, where it's basically a case of winner takes all... I won't be giving up without throwing everything I've got to come out on top. Even if I think I have a reached a limit and am discouraged by the times my competitors are putting up, the only mindset I can have is to keep pushing and analyzing things to find more time. A negative mindset will surely stop one short in their tracks at some point in time, especially in these types of sim racing games where plateaus can be hard to break through at times.

Anyways, hopefully what I said will help to keep you motivated, as you're one of my favorites to advance of course 👍

Even though I am a few days late, Merry Christmas :cheers:

Last edited:
For the most part you have to accept that there will always be someone better than you. Even Dan is finding a competitor in the Japanese rocket Takeuchi. Revel in being the best you can, we're all given a certain set of traits and abilities and only a select few can reach the top no matter how much training and effort they put in.

Also remember that if you do make it to number one ... there's only one direction you can go from there. In the more physical sports many are smart enough to exit gracefully while still at the top, while others will be remembered for falling over the hill and disappearing into the kingdom of has-beens.

Ohh man...your times make me feel :(. And I was happy thinking it was a great achievement making it to the top 10k (well...It sort of is given my "Experience").

I'd reccomind comparing your replays with the ones at the top of the leader board and keep trying until by luck or by skill you hit the pedals exactly right, the exact line for that corner, and shave a little .0XX of your time that would send you flying on the leaderboards ;).

I was fairly certain that I could manage top twenty before the competition started. When it became clear that the Nordic countries were combined in one leaderboard my hopes soon fell. I am currently 6:th in Sweden, 3/100 from fourth. Unfortunately there are also 21 Finns who are faster than me not to mention the Danes and Norwegians. I am half a second from top twenty but it is highly unlikely I will get there. My goal now is top five in Sweden and a place on Zabeu's world's Top 500 list.

Last edited:
I have to work my ass off to stay in the top 1000. I'd be dancing on the roof if I could break into the top 100.

But if I was that close to top 20 I wouldn't be wasting my time typing on this board. If you know what I mean...

All the best
Maz
Tis also the best way I've found. I tried running the tuned 3 nights in a row, ironically, to try NOT switching everytime I improve my best. Well after running about an hour tonight and not seeing any room, I switched to the stock, and within 30 minutes dropped .2
I was fairly certain that I could manage top twenty before the competition started. When it became clear that the Nordic countries were combined in one leaderboard my hopes soon fell. I am currently 6:th in Sweden, 3/100 from fourth. Unfortunately there are also 21 Finns who are faster than me not to mention the Danes and Norwegians. I am half a second from top twenty but it is highly unlikely I will get there. My goal now is top five in Sweden and a place on Zabeu's world's Top 500 list.
I believe the No.30 right now isn't in the top 500, so I think you might have to. I'm not sure I can get that either, shame too.

Like someone pointed out, not everyone is elligible so just outside top 20 may well be enough. I believe at least one of the top competitors has a racing license and we don't know the ages or driving statuses as the others. Meanwhile, keep pushing and aiming for that top 20 👍

Anghammarad
Unfortunately there are also 21 Finns who are faster than me not to mention...

:D no mercy for you Swedes! You can thank Sundin for that ;) ..too painful memories.. :lol:

Joking of course, just keep pushing and everything is possible. 👍

:cheers:

:D no mercy for you Swedes! You can thank Sundin for that ;) ..too painful memories.. :lol:

Joking of course, just keep pushing and everything is possible. 👍

:cheers:

He he. I should actually thank you. You, or rather your ghost, pulled me along to a time in the untuned car that was 4/10 better than I managed on my own. I had an initial goal time of 1'48.8 but I must set a new goal now since I'm already below that.

BTW, do you know who this schumi74 guy is? I've never seen him before.

No but I heard a speculation of him being a certain old GT veteran. Might be someone from the PC side of things also.. Very nice performance anyway. Great to have our own little battle on the nordic board. 👍

What's worth mentioning, as ironic as it sounds, this competition isn't about one lap magic in TT but rather your endurance, you have to keep hammering away at it, the people who hammer away at it the most are those most likely to achieve.

Like someone pointed out, not everyone is elligible so just outside top 20 may well be enough. I believe at least one of the top competitors has a racing license and we don't know the ages or driving statuses as the others. Meanwhile, keep pushing and aiming for that top 20 👍

I have been concerned about this since the start Andy, not because people are ineligible and won't go to Silverstone if they win, but moreso that the top 20 guys will all accept their invites to the national finals, turn up, deprive the eligible folk of a place, compete and then turn down the Silverstone opportunity if they win...it's not as if the finals organisers will then re-run the whole thing and invite 21st, 22nd etc place to the re-run, will they?

And if the ineligible folk don't win the finals, the organisers may never know and that will be that.

Will they be checking for confirmation of age and driving/racing licences before the national finals or only afterwards?

I count 6 ineligible members in the UK top 20 right now, these are people who would turn down a SIlverstone opportunity due to choice, being underage, having a race licence or not having a driving licence.

If they are going to check these things before the national finals, currently 26th place in the UK is looking good for an invite.

All the best
Maz

Nothing more? Finding 0.276 (tuned) in a lap is HUGE, especially over a race distance. It's all well-and-good putting in one hot lap amongst hundreds that you have done, but it's quite another to consistently pull off those laps.

I have total respect for those who are in the top 20, and wish everybody the best of luck.

Nothing more? Finding 0.276 (tuned) in a lap is HUGE, especially over a race distance. It's all well-and-good putting in one hot lap amongst hundreds that you have done, but it's quite another to consistently pull off those laps.

I have total respect for those who are in the top 20, and wish everybody the best of luck.

The thing with GTP_rpm is that he may not have run laps for a couple of days and seen his name drop out of the top 20, as happens every day to me. His improvements have been at the same rate as mine since the start, roughly 0.1s to 0.2s in one of the cars per session, so I didn't see it as an unrealistic improvement for him at all.

All the best
Maz

The same boat? I'm on place 21! :(

Advise? Lol. Ask your brother? :D

The only reason you're not top20 at the moment is because you haven't played GT5P as much as others have. Hammer that schitz and you'll make it.

All I've got to say on the matter is work out what you've got to do on every corner and then turn the ghost off. My laps are full of errors I'm still looking for a clean lap that I would've done on Prologue after more than a week. Also don't forget just how small a distance 1 tenth is especially in nearly 2 minutes of driving.

I have been concerned about this since the start Andy, not because people are ineligible and won't go to Silverstone if they win, but moreso that the top 20 guys will all accept their invites to the national finals, turn up, deprive the eligible folk of a place, compete and then turn down the Silverstone opportunity if they win...it's not as if the finals organisers will then re-run the whole thing and invite 21st, 22nd etc place to the re-run, will they?

And if the ineligible folk don't win the finals, the organisers may never know and that will be that.

Will they be checking for confirmation of age and driving/racing licences before the national finals or only afterwards?

I count 6 ineligible members in the UK top 20 right now, these are people who would turn down a SIlverstone opportunity due to choice, being underage, having a race licence or not having a driving licence.

If they are going to check these things before the national finals, currently 26th place in the UK is looking good for an invite.

All the best
Maz

If GTA08 is anything to go by the top 20 will first recieve a phone call inviting them to the National Finals. This is then folllowed by an E-mail acting as a fromal invite. If you accept the invite you will then recieve a GTA infromation pack which will contain a congratulations letter, confirmation letter, legal disclaimer, medical form, profile qustionaire form and the terms and conditions document.

All relevant documents have to be completed and signed and returned to them by a specific date allowing them time to deal with any problems before the competition.

You are also asked to bring to the national finals, your drivers licence and passport or another form of indentity which is checked before the competition.

If any driver declines the invite or are found to be ineligable then it will be passed down to the next driver.

I believe they have everything covered. 👍

I say just keep on pushing, Your times are very impressive already and good enough for most other top 20 regions, what feedback settings are you using? What wheel do you own? Those a random yet relevant questions, don't give up my friend!

If any driver declines the invite or are found to be ineligable then it will be passed down to the next driver.

I believe they have everything covered. 👍

Thanks for that Jerry, that's great news :cheers:

All the best
Maz

I say just keep on pushing, Your times are very impressive already and good enough for most other top 20 regions, what feedback settings are you using? What wheel do you own? Those a random yet relevant questions, don't give up my friend!

Please forgive me but I couldn't resist - what happened with your previous account Dan ? (forgetting the first one) and is that you or is it just a joke - having GTP_DHolland as your PSNid ?

I also wonder if Takeuchi is Trek450 cos Trek was offline for about 3 months before I deleted him from my list...

And going back on topic - congrats to all top 20 in any country - too bad its impossible to be competitive using 6AXIS :/

Who? Why?

Thanks

I'm not going to name names but one has a racing licence, one doesn't have a driving licence, one has no interest in going to Silverstone (although he will probably attend finals and is eligible), two are underage and one will have difficulty attending and will decline any invite.

That's my understanding 👍

All the best
Maz

Please forgive me but I couldn't resist - what happened with your previous account Dan ? (forgetting the first one) and is that you or is it just a joke - having GTP_DHolland as your PSNid ?

I also wonder if Takeuchi is Trek450 cos Trek was offline for about 3 months before I deleted him from my list...

And going back on topic - congrats to all top 20 in any country - too bad its impossible to be competitive using 6AXIS :/

When registering for the GTP registry I decided to alter my name, for no particular reason to be honest, I still have my old account (holl01) that I used at the start of gt5p and GTHD.

Possibly Takeuchi01 is indeed Trek450, wouldn't surprise me one bit:tup:

Latest Posts

Back