The Realistic Photo Thread (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

• Thread starter ECGadget
  • 8,940 comments
Let me know what you think:

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.jpg

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_1.jpg

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_2.jpg
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_3.jpg

@MonGnoM It's about getting the contrast and lighting away from the background and focused onto the car, if you couple it with aggressive shot angles you can make the car seem alive.

@MonGnoM You need to make the car look alive, put simply. You do this by taking all the energy from the background and focusing onto the car. This only really works when you have a very precise idea of what angle you want to shoot at. For example, the photo below took several attempts to nail.

circuit-de-spa-francorchamps_3-jpg.93299

I tried different shutter speeds, but I settled for a low one, because it directed more movement onto the car. A lot of people don't bother adjusting depth of field, so that makes everything look way to clear and plastic. Only ever set this high if you want to get a wide still view such as this:
Photo-101-Framing-Composition-PMcG-5-800x533.jpg

Things such as lighting and filters have a huge effect on getting the right feel to your photo, so if you have the right sense of motion and life in your shot but everything looks too bright and over-exposed, try and tone down the lighting and mess around with filters until you achieve the desired effect.

I use a lot of the Speedhunters guides, they are quite good because they focus solely on cars:
http://www.speedhunters.com/tag/photography-guide/

My attempts. Standard GT6 photos.

Attachments

• Deep Forest Raceway.jpg
    Deep Forest Raceway.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Suzuka Circuit (2).jpg
    Suzuka Circuit (2).jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Suzuka Circuit_1 (2).jpg
    Suzuka Circuit_1 (2).jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 12
@MonGnoM You need to make the car look alive, put simply. You do this by taking all the energy from the background and focusing onto the car. This only really works when you have a very precise idea of what angle you want to shoot at. For example, the photo below took several attempts to nail.

circuit-de-spa-francorchamps_3-jpg.93299

I tried different shutter speeds, but I settled for a low one, because it directed more movement onto the car. A lot of people don't bother adjusting depth of field, so that makes everything look way to clear and plastic. Only ever set this high if you want to get a wide still view such as this:
Photo-101-Framing-Composition-PMcG-5-800x533.jpg

Things such as lighting and filters have a huge effect on getting the right feel to your photo, so if you have the right sense of motion and life in your shot but everything looks too bright and over-exposed, try and tone down the lighting and mess around with filters until you achieve the desired effect.

I use a lot of the Speedhunters guides, they are quite good because they focus solely on cars:
http://www.speedhunters.com/tag/photography-guide/
Thank you for taking time :)

Thank you for taking time :)
My pleasure. It really pays to experiment with settings, and more so now than ever because of the levels of realism that can be achieved by doing so.

Back