The Rubik's Cube

• Thread starter tabs
  • 67 comments
I almost solved one. Then I had to pee. I set it down and told my sister not to touch it at all. I come out of the bathroom and, she's screwed the whole thing up completely. After 3 hours of turning, it was all lost in 1 minute and 30 seconds. Her words were "I just wanted to try!"

I didn't stand a chance against that thing, back in the early 80's. I could solve no more than just two sides.

When that "The Pursuit of Happyness" came out, I started messing around with it again, but I still didn't get anywhere.

When a Japanese kid made the news(in Japan) for winning the World Championship, I started playing around with it again. Improvement: Zero.

My coworker found some kind of step-by-step solution on the cyberweb, and he solved it in just few minutes.

I hope I solve this thing before I die.

Guys, instead of solving it one side/color at a time; try doing it layer-by-layer (which is how I solve it), 3 layers total:

fdasedi5.jpg

You CANNOT solve a Rubik's cube one side at a time, so :P

I need to go pick one up again, its been a while. And apparently, they are making a come back in the US as well... need to relearn my child hood tricks with this thing.

Rubik's Cubes are easier to figure out than Pupik's cube; they're one-sided and resist turning.

Back in the heyday of the Rubik's Cube, you could buy a sheet of stickers that covered up any peeled areas. I don't have one anymore.

Those aren't much popular here. I think I saw one at my uncle's house several years ago, not sure.

But it looks fun, I'll see if I can get one.

My brother has one, but I've never took the time to attempt to solve it.

You know they have 4x4 and 5x5 Rubik's Cubes now? Can you imagine how hard they are?

:-)

I think the 5x5 is called the professor's cube.

It would be very interesting to learn how to solve one of those, especially considering that you couldn't use most of the same methods from the regular on a 5x5.

Youtube has a few videos of 6x6x6 and 7x7x7 cubes being solved (I don't know how to embed them, so I'll let someone else do it)

Also, did you know people actually solve rubik's cubes blind-folded? Underwater? One Handed? and using their feet?

Well, picked one up today. Have basic algorithms down and can solve it in about 10 minutes now if I pay attention to it.

Its a good way for me to kill time I have found :D

Meh, nobody likes a smart-arse..

:P

Well, in just fiddling with it today, I can easily see how it could happen blindfolded... 90% of what I do with the cube I am not even looking at it.

Its really not that hard to solve though, one of the clips linked here does a very good job of explaining it. After I solved it a few times using the beginner's method, patterns became clear, and so on. Though, I still get a step mixxed up here and there in the final phases of the solution

U R Ui Li U Ri Ui L seems to escape me for some reason randomly, even though its not bad.

The only thing I cant remember is what to do is when your on the third stage, and all of the colors on the bottom row are correct except for the middles. Luckily for me, that only shows up once in a while :D

There are a bunch of ways to solve the rubik's cube though.

That solution was so easy, and it ruined the whole thing for me. I had two because I 'broke' one and got a replacement (free, I think) but didn't have to give the old one back, and we managed to get it untangled again. But if there's one thing more dull than a Rubik's Magic, it's two Rubik's Magics...

TB
Let's just say she tried to force it in a direction it wasn't inclined to go.
Watch this first.

I had one of those too!

Meh, that's nothing. I broke mine in under a second...

I've got two Rubik's Magics... :D

We used to time ourselves on the bus to school. I'm pretty sure I can get from one state to the other in 2.5s.

I went hunting for my old RC, and found it... in pieces... without the center piece... damn kids.

I found the key chain version too, and for the first time, using tab's YT link, I was able to solve it. Now my fingers hurt. Damn thing is so small and so hard to turn... being 26 years old, and all. The RC key chain, not my fingers; they would be 37 years old.

1215072228.jpg

Got bored, looks neater solved that way anyhow.

Hey, Famine, do you have your own method for solving the cube :P

I got this model here, they had it at Shopko.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=895759

There is a similar one that comes in a Hexagonal package, but it apparently doesn't spin as well and such. I haven't felt the need to dismantle and lubricate the cube, as it spins decently as is.

When I first got mine I tried to put silicon grease in it :dunce:. The cube was slippery for weeks, at least it smelled good though :D.

Quick word of advice, I have the cube you just linked to and after a good amount of use, the plastic film comes off the top of some of the stickers, which may cause that color to wear away into white. It's a bit of an easy fix though because all I did was color in the now white sticker and put a piece of clear tape over it. Hasn't fallen off on me yet.

I would suggest that cube though because it comes with a very helpful guide that helped me get started on solving the cube. The rest was taught to me by friends.

Well, in just fiddling with it today, I can easily see how it could happen blindfolded... 90% of what I do with the cube I am not even looking at it.

The movements pretty much become second nature after you’ve done it enough times, but still…doing it blindfolded is pretty crazy; to memorize the position of all the pieces and then solving it from memory?? Dude…

I found the key chain version too, and for the first time, using tab's YT link, I was able to solve it. Now my fingers hurt. Damn thing is so small and so hard to turn... being 26 years old, and all. The RC key chain, not my fingers; they would be 37 years old.

Nice! Satisfying, no?

What’s the average solve time for you guys?

The movements pretty much become second nature after you’ve done it enough times, but still…doing it blindfolded is pretty crazy; to memorize the position of all the pieces and then solving it from memory?? Dude…

Nice! Satisfying, no?

Yeah, felt good. After 27 damn years, I finally solved the thing the legitimate way.

What’s the average solve time for you guys?

About 1 finger-busting hour, with this difficult-to-turn Rubik's Cube key chain. I still have the larger cube in pieces in front of me. I'm leaving it as a hint I want a new cube for Christmas. (hee-hee) I haven't asked for anything else, 'cause I have pretty much own what I want and need.

Back