GT6 Sales Discussion

Would digital sales account for much of the sales anyway? It is a large download after all.

How does the ps4 affect GT sales?

The facts is gran turismo has lost a lot of fans going by the sales figures.
Well that would be the nr. one excuse, I'm sure also by PD if they would ever get confronted with it...
People tend to forget here that worldwide PS3 owners that already have a PS4 at home are still a minority compared to the millions of PS3's users that haven't switched over yet.

We can't vote with our wallet this time as the excuse is already prepared in a way, so PD doesn't have to feel obliged.

If you keep reading further down, you can see that they are using an additional source which does track digital sales.

No they don't, and their sources are severely limited as they on a regular under track games by as much as 50%

They already "adjusted" GT6 numbers up 3 or 4 times,

People tend to forget here that worldwide PS3 owners that already have a PS4 at home are still a minority compared to the millions of PS3's users that haven't switched over yet.
...and the other people forget that £43 is a heavy investment if said PS3 owners are saving up for a PS4. :)

There's also other reasons why a new generation affects any games sales, anything that the game does that was previously 'wow' and 'cool' is now gonna have to be something out of this world to compete with what else is out there for people to play. It can nullify selling points, for GTs case to the masses...realistic graphics. I'm pretty sure if regular people were given the option to play GT6 on PS3 or NFS on PS4, PS4 would win every time because it's a visual showcase. Which is the main purpose of a racing game in the eyes of the big guns.

If you keep reading further down, you can see that they are using an additional source which does track digital sales.
No source tracks digital sells on the PSN except for Sony because they don't release digital numbers. All they do is release what order they are in but not total sells. I remember when GT5 came out and VGChartz had GT5 at around 2 million then Polyphony announced it was 5.5 million and VGChartz numbers jumped overnight to 5.2 million. Just goes to show you they don't know anything until the official numbers come.

This game is fantastic...IF YOU LIKE THIS TYPE OF GAME i.e. realistic, just racing /driving, no tricks/missions/story or power-ups, licened production AND race cars etc. As I see it the only games of this TYPE worth having were Sega GT, PGR, Enthusia, R:Racing, Evolution GT, ToCa/Grid, Shift, Forza, and GT, each of their time and most of them are long gone, now the only real choice is Forza or GT...........thankfully they are BOTH fantastic.
PS. Since Tourist Trophy the bike world has had NOTHING like this - good or bad!

No source tracks digital sells on the PSN except for Sony because they don't release digital numbers. All they do is release what order they are in but not total sells. I remember when GT5 came out and VGChartz had GT5 at around 2 million then Polyphony announced it was 5.5 million and VGChartz numbers jumped overnight to 5.2 million. Just goes to show you they don't know anything until the official numbers come.
Don't waste your time, there are people desperate for the low sales to justify their hatred since GT5 and don't will listen to reasons. Others just don't know what means VGChartz numbers or they would not be taken as fact.

Can't wait till the real numbers begin to appear and grow to see how the people arguments evolve.

Don't waste your time, there are people desperate for the low sales to justify their hatred since GT5 and don't will listen to reasons. Others just don't know what means VGChartz numbers or they would not be taken as fact.

Can't wait till the real numbers begin to appear and grow to see how the people arguments evolve.

I can't put 1,000 "like" :(

The facts is gran turismo has lost a lot of fans going by the sales figures.
I have 10,11 GT fan friends that sold their PS3 and got PS4 (or will get it in next months) they really like to play GT6, but havent PS3 for it.
GT is a hardcore game (compare to racing games like NFS) and hardcore gamers usually buy next gen consoles fast.
GT is a racing game too. a genre that technical aspects are very important in it. there isnt any story, characters, music and ... even gameplay and physics are related to hardware. releasing GT6 in the beginning of next gen can kill the hype of the game easily. people compare cars and tracks to games like Forza Motorsport 5 and DriveClub and ...
I completely agree with you about losing lots of fans after GT5, but I think GT6 on PS4 could sales better.

Really? Forza 5's sales would suggest otherwise.

Less than one million in the same time period as GT6 sells two million and Forza is selling very well instead when compared to the number of Xbones sold.

GT6 would therefore be selling half its current number on the PS4.

To be honest, it's kinda cute when people use VGChartz as a source for sales to have a saying in arguements. Well I can't wait to see GT6's true sales numbers. Gonna blow everybodies minds. :sly:

Also. I'm still going to say GT6 selling 3 million isn't a bad thing either.

Really? Forza 5's sales would suggest otherwise.

Less than one million in the same time period as GT6 sells two million and Forza is selling very well instead when compared to the number of Xbones sold.

GT6 would therefore be selling half its current number on the PS4.

Using F5 and X1 sales is pointless, Forza has always sold less and PS4 has sold more and is selling more then X1.

Therefore GT would be selling more then F5 on X1 but no one knows if the same as GT6 on PS3 since none actually know what the actual GT6 sales are.

DingoDile
GT WAS a hardcore game (compare to racing games like NFS) and hardcore gamers usually buy next gen consoles fast.
GT WAS a racing game too. a genre that technical aspects are very important in it.
Corrected that for you as you can't seriously call GT6 "hardcore" after what they have done with difficulty level.
Also it is for sure no racing game because there are no races in it. (3-5 lap catch the rabbit with 14 moving obstacles against one AI nemesis that lets you win in the end is NOT a race)

I only bought GT6 because it came out on PS3 and was only a small investment.

I would never ever have bought the PS4 because of it, too much risk after the GT5 dissapointment.
(I bought 1 PS1, 3PS2 and 2PS3's for GT, 3 of them in bundle with GT at release, but now it`s over. I grew up and got more serious while GT gets more arcade and childish with every edition)

So from my POV PS4 even helped GT6 sales.
(as did the digital option, would not have bought it on disc because of loading times and laser damage)

Using F5 and X1 sales is pointless, Forza has always sold less and PS4 has sold more and is selling more then X1.

Therefore GT would be selling more then F5 on X1 but no one knows if the same as GT6 on PS3 since none actually know what the actual GT6 sales are.

You are completely missing the point, which is that the sales of GT6 on PS4 would be limited by PS4 sales as Forza 5 sales are limited by Xbone sales.

This has NOTHING to do with the popularity of a series. You can't sell games to people who don't own the console.

You are completely missing the point, which is that the sales of GT6 on PS4 would be limited by PS4 sales as Forza 5 sales are limited by Xbone sales.

This has NOTHING to do with the popularity of a series. You can't sell games to people who don't own the console.

I guess your missing that I never actually said it be selling more on PS4 lol.

Ohh and by the way F5 is selling just as well as any other Forza ever! k!

There's nothing easier then selling games to early adopters, especially when they are good and from a proven franchise especially in the barren launch window where software is severely lacking. What you are missing is GT6 would be the game to own on PS4 for many many months, it would be the show piece title.

NPD is out. GT6 apparently only sold 180,000 copies in the USA in December, while Vgchartz claims it sold 360,000 in December.

This is according to a few websites reporting NPD data, none of which had the professionalism to give a link to the actual data itself

There's nothing easier then selling games to early adopters, especially when they are good and from a proven franchise especially in the barren launch window where software is severely lacking. What you are missing is GT6 would be the game to own on PS4 for many many months, it would be the show piece title.
What he said, though at the same time, this is one thing that's up in the air.

GT6 would sell systems. I have no doubt that a few PS3s were sold just so people could play it. Likewise, it would cause longer shortages of PS4s, as people demanded the system and some wheels, whatever would be compatible. And yes, GT6 would hurt the prospects of every other racer on PS4, as well as those on The One, but I insist it still is.

What actual sales would be is purely up to conjecture, but I imagine demand would be strong for it for months, as SONY had those Chinese factories crank out as many PS4s as possible.

And Earth, keep in mind, there are other countries out there besides America. ;) Gran Turismo has global appeal, mostly in Europe.

...and the other people forget that £43 is a heavy investment if said PS3 owners are saving up for a PS4. :)

There's also other reasons why a new generation affects any games sales, anything that the game does that was previously 'wow' and 'cool' is now gonna have to be something out of this world to compete with what else is out there for people to play. It can nullify selling points, for GTs case to the masses...realistic graphics. I'm pretty sure if regular people were given the option to play GT6 on PS3 or NFS on PS4, PS4 would win every time because it's a visual showcase. Which is the main purpose of a racing game in the eyes of the big guns.
True about visual candy being the top selling point with the masses.
I'm sure that because 6 looks almost identical to 5 graphical wise it didn't help sales much neither, but i still think the main influence on those lower sales would be that a lot of people like myself were way more skeptical about the series now, as GT5 was a disappointment to many.

Looks like making a ps3/ps4 version could have been best.
Even small upgrades would have been enough, I sure enjoyed AssasinC4 on PS4

silver lining, the lower the sales the more Sony will ride PD to get their **** right.

Back