The Seville's Douchey Impreza Look

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 98 comments

Is Tornado an idiot for buying a known hole to throw burning money into?

• Total voters
There's a random wire sticking out of the headliner that doesn't seem to do anything
Aftermarket alarm sensor? My Honda has a couple things that look similar to that, and my two guesses are that it's some sort of volumetric sensor for an alarm I may possibly have but don't know about, or it's a microphone for some sort of Bluetooth phone connection I also may possibly have but don't know about.
I probably should have bought the Lexus instead.
Had a go in an original LS400 for the first time the other day. It was wonderful and I now want one, so I can totally understand the appeal of the Caddy, even if it's keeping you a bit busy...

*mechanic calls yesterday*

"Hey, we think we finally figured it out. I'll drive it around for a day to see if the light comes back on"

*mechanic calls today*

"Yeah... the light came back on."

Aaaaaaaaargh I should have bought the damn 300M Special I was looking at instead. Then when the engine bent a valve or the Horrible Chrysler Transmission™ exploded I would have known what was wrong with it.

161075.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't want to be the dick that says "I told you so", so I'll simply say "Damn that seriously sucks :("

No matter what's wrong it won't cost much more than an oil change for a Northstar. :D

So what all has the mechanic think is broken and has tried to fix now?

I have no idea. You know those clichéd 1960s movie women drivers? Like the chick driving the Mustang in Goldfinger, who didn't understand why her tire blew when there was a 7 foot gash down the side of her car? When it comes to car repairs I'm about 2 degrees separated from that.

My dad knows, though.

Last edited:
The serpentine belt was worn out enough that it was making the engine shake at idle and tripping the knock sensor. The poor guy put $3500 chasing down the problem and replaced every exterior part on the engine (crankshaft position sensors, spark plugs, fuel injectors) and ultimately sold the car he loved to me when he decided he couldn't put any more money into it; and the problem was ultimately solved by $65 in parts and labor, $100 in gas and $280 in diagnostic time (including a couple other things he tried before then).

He put it on a ten day and told me to put about 300 miles on it before bringing it back today. The CD changer jammed on Thursday (the second time I tried to play the new CD I bought on Tuesday) when I was about to leave work after I had put about 150 miles on it, so I had to flip the switch in the back to disconnect the battery to get it to reset everything again. I decided I would take it to a graduation party in Hornell. Since that was a long way, I figured now was as good a time as ever to satiate the Northstar Oil Lust, as I hadn't done so since I bought it and it was due. After which I was immediately greeted with this:
tmp_DSC_0043-355703148.jpg

The first time I started it after I out a quart into it.

Annoyed.gif

But the long story short is, he knew what was wrong with it when my dad told him, fixed it, light went off, bam! Inspected. Next thing on the agenda is tires. Possibly tires + wheels.

Seville.jpg

Those wheels, I think.

I must say...I always had a soft spot for these Seville's. Most people I know hate them, but there's something about this has a slight coolness to it. The red is nice too! I was actually considering buying one as my second car after my Subaru Outback was sold off for parts by my parents. There was one for sale near my work and at the time I was being paid minimum wage.

I think you should have jumped on that V8 Lincoln LS. Those care are pretty quick, I had one hang with me in my 2007 Mustang GT before.

However, those Northstar V8's are one of my favorite motors. I still wish I had the money/time to put together a 88 Fiero GT with a Northstar. My parents have a 99 STS, it's one of the few cars with an automatic I've driven that can break the wheel going into second gear.

Went to work to try and buy all of the boxes of Whoppers that were being put on clearance yesterday while I was on lunch. Saw something when I came out from bothering everyone at work the first time but before I went to Family Dollar. Look at these clearly staged photos:

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

He had been there yesterday about this same time too, so I wonder if he works at Tractor Supply. That white doesn't carry anywhere near as well in pictures as it does up close. It's practically an ivory metallic. Really pretty. Mine's still nicer.

img0038cv.jpg

You see that pedal, all the way to the left there, next to the hood release? I'm not sure what that does yes I know it is the parking brake besides get stuck when I put the car in gear to release it after I press it to make sure it works while I'm far away from home with no phone, then snap back when I try to pull on it and nearly break two of my fingers.

On the other hand:
DSC_0008.jpg

I can travel in time two and a half times!

You see that pedal, all the way to the left there, next to the hood release? I'm not sure what that does yes I know it is the parking brake besides get stuck when I put the car in gear to release it after I press it to make sure it works while I'm far away from home with no phone, then snap back when I try to pull on it and nearly break two of my fingers.

Parking brake?

Edit: aw nuts, didn't see the white text before I quoted it.

White Text: 1
Doog: 0

I'm guessing catastrophic engine and/or transmission failure? Either way, it's a shame your Cadillac wasn't more reliable for you to enjoy for many years. 👎

80 bucks for an oil change. :lol:

Anyway, I'm beginning to learn more about GM as a company before bankruptcy that my parents' Silverado didn't even begin to explain . The Seville was the Cadillac flagship, loaded with cool gadgets you couldn't get anywhere else in GM and priced to match. HID headlights. Real time adaptive suspension. Speed adjusting steering. Airbag front seats to conform to your body. Heated front and rear seats. You could even in theory get front massaging seats.

Except Night Vision, which you could only get on the lower spec DeVille. And rear windows that roll all the way down, despite the doors looking identical to those of the DeVille, which did allow it.

But something more interesting presented itself internal to the Seville range. I wanted a Seville with navigation, because I knew that it supported auxiliary audio input. Also because touch screens are "So money". So I got a car with navigation. And while learning how to wire it, I learned that the European spec Seville, as seen here with its perhaps superior-looking (albeit no doubt less functional) front bumper:
DSCF9023.jpg

If you got navigation with that model, which I'm sure literally several people did, GM happily wired the head unit (the exact same head unit, remember) for both audio and video in from the factory; with the connection in the glovebox. But the US model, which actually sold more than the average yearly production totals of Morgan, did not have that option. Similarly, though not related to this post, while the G-Platform was an infamously stiff one at the time of its creation, GM still saw fit to equip a strut tower bar to the car as standard equipment; which from the sound of it from people who have them turns an incredibly stiff car into something akin to an I Beam as far as chassis flex is concerned. And what country got this lovely piece that should have been standard everywhere, since it undoubtedly cost GM all of $5 to make? Not the German model, with its unrestricted top speed and Z Rated tires destined for the Autobahn.

stsstb2.jpg

No, the car that got this lovely bar that makes a pretty good handling car even better was only the one made in Japan. Which, with Japan's obscene car dimension, engine displacement and emissions tax laws, apparently was still a car that GM designed and expected people to buy. Again, in Japan. Plus you can't find any for sale anymore because GM stopped making it; and I don't know if the one that was standard on the 🤬 Bonneville two years later (but again, not the flagship Cadillac sport sedan) will fit even though it looks like it will.

I think I went off topic. Anyway, look!
tmp_27660-20140920_173226-1371106179.jpg

Now I can always listen to my favorite songs from CARTOON HORSE PROGRAM actual songs from real bands I like. And since I neglected to take photos of the somewhat complex wiring harness I made to do so, I'll just say that now the radio is powered by Magic!

Last edited:
What yard was this in?
Some town that starts with a W to the West of Sodus. Williamsburg or Williamsport or something.

Looking really nice! What was the first song you listened?

Can't wait to join this forum. =)
But you were already here!

Projects for today: Install new HVAC blower so the defroster actually works in the morning (among other things). Put in new foglights to replace the terrible OEM bulbs, one of which was out (and as we later found out, actually broken):
IMG_20140927_153131.jpg

Amusingly, it took five minutes to find out what was wrong with the AC all this time (loose wire on ground box located in the passenger door jam was keeping the blow from turning over); and the fog lights took half an hour to do.

But behold!

IMG_20140928_183034_410.jpg

Douchey Euro Look FTW!

While we were busy removing the huge black undertray panel that spans from the front suspension to the front bumper, we noticed that a couple of the plastic grommets were missing too, so a trip to Autozone later and those are replaced. Also replaced the white screws you can just about see here under the foglights:
100_5572.JPG

With grommets and metal washers, so now they can't be seen and the thing isn't going anywhere. Dad thinks the previous owner might have bumped something on the right side under the bumper which necessitated their replacement with the plastic bolts (I thought they were for attaching something), because the right foglight was misaligned (and possibly how the bulb shattered too) as well.

Last edited:
Some town that starts with a W to the West of Sodus. Williamsburg or Williamsport or something.
Ah yes, Williamson. I didn't know they had a yard up there. I'll have to check it out for parts one of these days.

Front rotors had been more or less shot since I bought the car. Previous owner never drove it in the winter and always turned the brakes when he replaced the pads in the summer, so with me buying it in the spring it had a really bad flat spot on both rotors (worse on the left) from rust. I needed, at least, new rotors and I figured new pads as well.

So I thought, let's do this right.

IMG_20141101_123903.jpg

Even from that blurry cell phone shot you can see they are pretty screwed up in a couple spots, especially poking out from under the caliper. Lots of judder from speed, and no attempts to clean them myself accomplished anything. They were worse than either of us expected.

2742ADDA-8661-4832-BFCC-FAB437989C3C_zpspe55eo0h.jpg

1D296253-7BCD-4D88-9FBA-DC38A46E4EEA_zpsjcbuztiw.jpg

'Dat extra inch (though these aren't my pictures, since the OEMs weren't slotted).

6A9EDED4-186B-4628-8074-DC3C6D0EF11F_zpskmbfg6ft.jpg

'Dem double pistons.

IMG_20141101_132359.jpg

'Dose new pads.

IMG_20141101_134536.jpg

BAM!

IMG_20141101_152843.jpg

Before, even though the rotors were messed up, the car stopped pretty good. There was a bit of squish before they really clamped because they seemed a bit overboosted for their size, but the car still stopped when you wanted it too without much fuss.

Now, after having them bedded in properly with my dad, the new ones stop right the 🤬 now. Much more initial bite, no drop off whatsoever, and much more progressive feel.

Last edited:
Back