The Simpsons VS Family Guy

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 111 comments
Family Guy tends to get repetitive after a bit. Not nearly as repetitive as American Dad, but...I don't know just seems like they go through a series of plot lines over and over. Simpsons has been around for 22+ years.

I don't know. I mean, Simpsons is more of a WTF funny, and Family Guy is more of a stupid funny. And Homer is literally mentally retarded and Homer isn't. And Family Guy wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the Simpsons....I picked the Simpsons 'cause it's a classic, Family Guy....isn't and won't be.

FAMILY GUY is just an unimaginitive and vulgar rip-off of THE SIMPSONS. The worst episode of THE SIMPSONS is better than the best episode of FAMILY GUY by a whole order of magnitude.
I wouldn't go that far, even as an exaggeration. The Simpsons has had some true stinkers, and Family Guy was really funny and really clever for the first couple of seasons. Post revival, though, I'd say Family Guy has been consistently much more awful than any equivalent Simpsons episode in the same time span (ie., since 2003).

Yep, another vote for the Simpsons. It's an easy target for "needs to die" comments, but people forget how much of an impact it's had on a whole generation and the entire idea of primetime cartoons.

Family Guy was reasonably funny in the early years, and they've got a bit better now than the first two or three post-revival years, but overall, Simpsons still has it for me. And only one of them has been the subject of university courses (just like another favourite show, The Wire :D).

It's funny Family Guy fans seem to say that they just like it more, but people who don't like family guy go into some fit of rage and act like a 12 year old while saying Family Guy is for immature people.

The truth is, if you judge someones character based on what TV show they prefer, you're probably just as immature yourself.

Also, what they said:

I'm just gonna be an ass and say Futurama.
Calm down Interludes, it's just a question about cartoons.:lol:

I find the humor to be better suited for a 13 year old. If you feel the need to take offence to that, then go ahead. But offending was not my objective, merely expressing my opinion of a show I find to be juvenile is my objective. Perhaps my wording made it seem like I was taking a shot at the Family Guy fan base, but this was not my intention.

I wouldn't go that far, even as an exaggeration. The Simpsons has had some true stinkers, and Family Guy was really funny and really clever for the first couple of seasons. Post revival, though, I'd say Family Guy has been consistently much more awful than any equivalent Simpsons episode in the same time span (ie., since 2003).
FAMILY GUY's problem is that it has no story. In the space of a twenty-two minute episode, they only really have abour ten to twelve minutes' worth of actual story. The rest is just filler in the form of pointless out-of-context sight gags. SCRUBS had the same problem.

FAMILY GUY's problem is that it has no story. In the space of a twenty-two minute episode, they only really have abour ten to twelve minutes' worth of actual story. The rest is just filler in the form of pointless out-of-context sight gags. SCRUBS had the same problem.

Eric Cartman, is that you?!

Also, I really, REALLY doubt The Simpsons worst episode is better than Family Guy's best episode.

Homer used to be funny. He was stupid, a cute kind of stupid. Now the writers made him go full retard.

Eric Cartman, is that you?!

Also, I really, REALLY doubt The Simpsons worst episode is better than Family Guy's best episode.

Homer used to be funny. He was stupid, a cute kind of stupid. Now the writers made him go full retard.

You mean like the Family Guy making Peter and Chris go from silly dad and normal teenage son, to shoulder biter #1 and shoulder biter #2?

Seriously, on Homers most brain fart days, he's still smarter than Peter and Chris on their best.

The Simpsons get my vote (see Avatar).

Had Cheech and Chong (and then Chunk) on last nite's episode.

A classic:

"Burns: Some men hunt for sport,
Others hunt for food,
The only thing I'm hunting for,
Is an outfit that looks good...

See my vest, see my vest,
Made from real gorilla chest,
Feel this sweater, there's no better,
Than authentic Irish setter.

See this hat, 'twas my cat,
My evening wear - vampire bat,
These white slippers are albino
African endangered rhino.

Grizzly bear underwear,
Turtles' necks, I've got my share,
Beret of poodle, on my noodle
It shall rest,

Try my red robin suit,
It comes one breast or two,
See my vest, see my vest,
See my vest.

Like my loafers? Former gophers -
It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
But a greyhound fur tuxedo
Would be best,

So let's prepare these dogs,

Mrs. Potts: Kill two for matching clogs,

Burns: See my vest, see my vest,
Oh please, won't you see my vest.

You mean like the Family Guy making Peter and Chris go from silly dad and normal teenage son, to shoulder biter #1 and shoulder biter #2?

Yeah. Except they managed to retain some funnyness. Homer, on the other hand, didn't.

Seriously, on Homers most brain fart days, he's still smarter than Peter and Chris on their best.

I'd rather have two funny idiots than one unfunny "not-so-idiot".

Old Simpsons vs Family Guy? No contest, The Simpsons crush them to death. But with over 20 seasons, half of which are indeed pure crap (IMO), Family Guy wins easily.

Simpsons took my vote. Family Guy was good initially, when Stewie was evil and so on, but they completely ruined it after the 3rd season I think. That is when they started having the 4 to 5 minute long filler bits (the chicken fight comes to mind) and it just was sight gags and nothing more.

Sadly, the Simpsons is pretty poor now as well, but its run of good content was much longer and much deeper. The episode where Bart kills the bird comes to mind, along with others.

Mine went from Simpsons (when people refer to is as being good) to Family guy. However, the past 2 or so seasons of both shows, Simpsons has been far better in my opinion. Family guy recently has struggled to make me laugh or even want to finish an episode...

Simpsons has been on form

I agree with the lack of effort from the Family Guy franchise. The 3rd Star Wars episode is tribute to that. Its like they bought the script from an drunk bum coming off a 3 day random drug binge who had never even heard of the Family Guy, and just sold it to everyone knowing that they'd watch it no matter what.

The Simpsons are fighting back, but Homer really needs to stop acting like a brainless weirdo. Also half the episodes these days seem to be about homer and Marge falling out and making up.

I discovered family guy 8 years ago when I was 14 and was instantly hooked. I used to watch The Simpsons regularly but never found it incredibly funny. Family Guy was the complete opposite, every episode had me dying with laughter. I loved the randomness of it. I have volume 1-6, the Stewie Griffin movie and the first two Star Wars parodies on DVD so yeah I'm a Family Guy fan. With that being said, I think there has definitely been a drop in the quality of the episodes in the last 2 seasons. They've had a few decent episodes but overall most of them haven't been very good. Don't even get me started on the last Star Wars parody, that was pretty much terrible. I don't know if the writers are just running out of fresh ideas or if it's that Seth MacFarlane is having to dedicate time to American Dad and The Cleveland Show and isn't as focused on Family Guy, but whatever it is, the show is definitely running out of steam.

I think McFarlane just doesn't care about family Guy any more. Seems like American Dad became better as FG became awful.

Don't forget about the Cleveland show too. Stretching your "creativity" out too much really takes its toll.

I think McFarlane just doesn't care about family Guy any more. Seems like American Dad became better as FG became awful.
American Dad is just awful. I don't know why since it's the same people but it doesn't make me laugh.

. But I've grown up since then, and I see the show for what it really is, a bunch of nonsense that only a 13 year old would enjoy.
Can't really argue with that. The jokes are stupid but funny in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmtrnaM8cg8

I love them both, but Family Guy gets my vote. Simpsons had some great episodes back in the day, but I can't stand watching their new episodes. I think Family Guy had a rough patch over the last few seasons, but I think they are coming back.

I see the two shows as two separate shows, not Family Guy as a rip off of Simpsons. If I would see it like that, there are plenty of arguments I could bring up that say Simpsons ripped off other shows.

Using the number of seasons Family Guy is currently at, I'd say the Simpsons since IMO everything up to season 10 was great (3-9 moreso). However, currently as they are on TV, Family Guy.

Family Guy is VERY funny and certain episodes have me laughing all the way through. I keep up with it and can say I have seen every episode of it. But it cannot compete with the Simpsons. I discovered Family Guy about 2 years ago, but I was raised by the Simpsons. I still watch it now even and it is STILL making me laugh. The only thing Family Guy has over the Simpsons is how far they cross the line, and I feel even that is misused more often than not.

I've grown up with The Simpsons, it was a big part of my childhood. Series' 4-9 is the golden age of The Simpsons, and probably just about the best TV you can get. The storylines were always original, and the comedy was fantastic, and rarely needed to resort to being sexual in nature, which seems to be the case with a lot of modern shows. It is very relateable as well, with plotlines such as character deaths with a more Drama-like feel to them. It definitely started to drop off around Series 12 though. The storylines became basically the same thing of Homer getting a new job, Marge resenting him for ignoring her, and then they kiss and make up. Plus, adding in things like Mobile Phones and iPods kinda destroyed the whole not ageing thing. Matt Groening is slowly destroying the show by continuing to write substandard episodes that only the most hardcore of fans can endure.

Family Guy's comedy is generally better because it's so extreme, full of taboo and crude sexual references. Mocking various celebrities is always good (even if a lot of them are ones that I've never heard of and are only well known in the States), but the comedy standard is wildly inconsistent. Some episodes are fantastic, and others are downright terrible. With The Simpsons it was a sharp rise towards perfection around series 5, followed by a gradual decline starting around series 12. Seth MacFarlane has more to work with since a lot of the plotlines are far less realistic, plus having a super intelligent Dog & Baby helps too, but he doesn't exploit this creative freedom particularly well. Things like Peter's fights with the giant Chicken demonstrate this, as it is simply 3-4 minutes of filler with absolutely no relevance to the episode's plotline. More to the point is that there are also far fewer episodes of Family Guy than The Simpsons, per season and overall, even if the Simpsons has been around about 10 years longer.

I'd go for The Simpsons any day.

Isn't that the point of Family Guy?

That Seth can 🤬 with you by showing you some boring, or repetitive mundaine crap for a few minutes, each episode, but you just sit there watching?

I mean, the flashbax, the chicken fights and so on.

We don't need them, but they are hilarious, and they are totally boring too. The show is higher up the foodchain for it.

I started on Simpsons, but I evolved into Family Guy and I haven't grown down since.

:irked:👍

Wow, back from the dead.

I still stand that seasons 2-9 or so of simpsons is the best sitcom ever.

here's a really good thread with some insight from a lot of us on the decline of the simpsons for all who are interested.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3939884

Seth Mcfarlane's smug voice and attitude just completely drives me away from family guy, even if the show does have some funny moments.

Last edited:
Back