The Six Mainline Gran Turismo Games, Ranked Worst to Best

I'm guessing you don't like the NIKE ONE 2022 from GT4 either? Or the multiple non-existing LM Race cars that only exist in GT?
Indeed, the Nike one i didn't even use it.
And the non existing LM race cars based on real cars,aren't my favourites,but at least were based on real cars and the specs.

Same goes to GT Sport BTW.

Al cars ended with "Gr.3" instead "GT3" are non oficial GT3 race cars based on real life cars with GT3 specs.

Same for Gr.4, Gr.1,Gr.B.

At least in GT3,4,5 and 6 it was easy to avoid those only on paper existing Vision GT things like that laser pulse engine spaceship / car.

Now in GT Sport with less cars we will even see those only on paper existing "cars" on track with real LMP1-H prototypes competing in same category...

In That case... Even non existent race cars made on real car basis is better than that.

And here's one of the reasons why i will pass on GT Sport together with the other reason that is the lack of a good big offline career mode as the older GT games.. :)

I just don't see how anyone could put 3 above 4. The leap from GT2-3 was the biggest advancement, but 4 dwarfed 3 in every way.

GT4 by far and away the best GT game, 2 second and then 3 third IMO/

I agree the fact that GT6 isn't ahead of 5 is the main problem with this list. It fixed almost all of 5's problems and was the game 5 should've been in the first place.

I've never understood the fascination with GT3 other than the fact the people who place it ahead of me are probably a few years younger than me. It's also the only game in the series I didn't buy the day it was released (since I didn't have a PS2 yet) so it holds very little nostalgia for me.

I'd rank them like this completely based on personal taste:

1. GT2 (my favourite track list, all of my favourite GT tracks are there and I couldn't care less about real life tracks if the fantasy tracks are that good, best car list since I love 80s and 90s JDM, most nostalgic for me)

2. GT4 (like you said, basically GT2 II on a newer machine, didn't really like the track or car list as much though and it kickstarted the world's obsession with the Nurburgring so I'll always hold that against it)

3. GT (it's impact can't be understated, since we went from Need for Speed and Ridge Racer to this. Also best soundtrack in the series bar none)

4. GT6 (could've been better, but could've been much worse)

5. GT3 (boring car list after GT2 (but still better than GT Sport's looks), annoying soundtrack, my memories of this game just seem to be draped in yellow and pink. If GT3 was the second GT game things would be much different and I might like it as much as everyone else seems to)

6. GT5 (basically just a semi-polished mess)
This is hilarious-I was going to post something almost identical. Same order, same feelings. And yes, I think a lot has to do with age. I'm 40, so I played them all when they were popular. And I just got a PS4, so I'll continue that tradition in a few months:D

It's kind of tough to really pick one over the other as they've all done a lot good and a lot not so good.

GT1 was great because OMG nobody's ever done this before, this game is amazing!

GT2 I mostly remember it was amazingly bigger than the first and race mods of everything(sigh).

GT3 was where I learned to use a wheel so will always remember it well, I think this is the only one I finished 100%(or I think it was like 98% or something because of a mode you couldn't access in the US version). I think when I got to the end there was some kind of "event generator" that I didn't mess around with too much.

GT4 seemed to feel a lot better to drive than GT3 did with a wheel, had quite a few fun endurance races along the way and it had the Nordschleife and la Sarthe. A lot more content as well - and those cool black race cars that took forever to get(thank you B-Spec, 1000 Miles! and Costa di Amalfi). And yeah they added B-Spec.

GT5 was a big step forward in physics and driving feel. Added cockpit view and for all cars(whining about black cutouts aside). Added the full-length versions of the Nürburgring and day/night transitions. Lots of fun tracks to be had with the course generator. The AI was probably the best it has ever been(not that it's ever been good) until they put out a patch that made them pull over and park whenever you got close. You could still race in Arcade mode without that problem though. Oh, and there was ONLINE! So many endless hours of fun with people all around the world that didn't drive like bots. And a few that drove like jerks, but you'd expect that. I never found them that hard to avoid. Too much focus on a screwed up babysitting B-Spec mode and the paint chip thing was horrible.

GT6 fixed a lot of what was wrong about GT5's physics, broke much of the rest of what was good about GT5 offline. Arcade mode useless, career mode a waste of time, AI still parked but now they waited and waited and waited and waited for you to catch up to them. No endurance races for the first time in series history. There were some very nice cars added at least. And why do I have to keep 20 damn gigs of game data on my hard drive for all these giant movies I never wanted to watch the first time? But hey, you could drive on the moon. Payouts/car collecting seemed improved. I never really played this one online so I can't comment about that, the instant "matchmaking" races were kind of nice for just a quick racing fix now and then but not something I would have spent much time on if I had gotten to online seriously. The way the regular online system was designed seemed improved(except for the lack of shuffle racing) but I just didn't spend any time with it to know how it really was.

So GT1-2-3 I mostly remember fondly for nostalgia. GT1 can get a big boost to it's rating as it was literally a genre-defining game. I still remember the reaction of almost everyone when they heard what GT1 was going to be: "that's not possible!" And yet it was. GT4 was the best of the old generations to me because it was the best to drive and of course everybody's favorite love-hate track in Germany. GT5 I'd probably say was my favorite overall, despite its many problems just because particularly when you add the online racing I had at least as much fun as any of the prior games and much improved physics. GT6 is probably the best to drive but the game's offline design was horrible.

All that said, if I wanted to pick up a GT game today to play, it would almost certainly be GT6 because it's the best and most enjoyable on the track. GT has always been lousy as a single-player racing game(I seem to remember the first couple not being quite as bad but I was much younger and less picky -- still had the same lousy overtake-the-line design but they might have executed it better), but great as a driving/hotlapping game. And if I want to just sit down and take a drive by myself around a track... GT6 wins easily.

I just don't see how anyone could put 3 above 4. The leap from GT2-3 was the biggest advancement, but 4 dwarfed 3 in every way.

GT4 by far and away the best GT game, 2 second and then 3 third IMO/
It's easy. GT1,2 and 3 are perfect sandboxes. Do the licences then you can do any race. GT4 had locks on the Endurance and Extreme halls. This removed the perfect sandbox.

Then when I go back to them after getting a wheel I found GT3 to be vastly better than GT4 in every way.

So even though GT4 has a great deal more content it does a lot less with it.

Simple: Bloat.

There were ~730 cars. How many were a version of a Nissan Skyline1? How many were a version of an MX-52? How many were a version of a 3000GT3, or NSX4, or S20005 or RX-76? Or Lancer7, or Impreza8?

There's 135 events, most of which are either one to three laps in a car you'll only use for that event (in fact outside of Endurance Hall there's only five events that have any race with more than nine laps) or a ludicrous distance like 99 laps of Opera Paris. And let's not forget the three 24-hour races. They take place in perpetual daylight around 8.5, 8.5 and 12.8 mile courses, with only five opponents. I imagine that with all the filler races and the daft endurances, very, very few people ever completed the game and most of them are on here.

There were 82 tracks - or rather there were 35 tracks, with 82 layouts. If you were to drive every car around every track for one lap, at an optimistic average 100 seconds per lap plus a minute of loading screens in between, for eight hours a day, it'd take you a year to drive all of them - and I'm not sure how you'd find the time to discover a hidden gem in all of that. Even with the ample time PD gave you by not releasing GT5, you'd have only got five laps per car.

All that GT4 brought was a few new cars and tracks (yay for the 'Ring and Le Mans, boo for Chamonix and Tsukuba), B-Spec and sensible ethernet LAN racing instead of iLink. The rest of it was bloat.

GT3 was so much smaller that you had the chance to try everything properly - you could spend hours getting to know each car, and in the same year of gaming as above, you could drive each on each track for 80 minutes. And you wanted to because, unlike GT4, the cars didn't all suffer from exaggerated understeer.

Although like GT4, about a quarter of the car list was those eight cars mentioned above, it seemed less heinous with 50 examples rather than 173 (if only because that's an average of six examples each, including different generations, tuned and racing cars, rather than 21 examples each). There were 40 manufacturers too - more than GT2, even though some beloved ones like Vector and Venturi disappeared with the PS1 and have never been seen since.

GT4 is still my second favourite. The amount of time I've spent on LANs with it almost decrees that it has to be up there, but GT3 is the last GT game where I went back to the career mode to do some races over and over again, because of how much fun they were.

1 - 56
2 - 11
3 - 8
4 - 22
5 - 14

6 - 19
7 - 23
8 - 20

1- Gran Turismo 4 - I think this one was the best Gran Turismo in the history, a lot of cars, tracks, good graphics, good music... and oh my god "Good Physics" in a PS2, you can see each tyre bumping on the Nürburgring, i saw for the first time Nordschleifte on a Console game, that an the amazing Orchestra-Rock Intro of the game... I think that's just awesome.

2 - Gran Turismo 2 (JAPAN Edition) - Best PSX game i ever played since it comes out, the japan version have by far, the best music of any Gran Turismo game and the intro was a Masterpiece for that moment, good graphics for a PSX, good physics, you can setup completely the car, suspension, differential, traction control, brake balance, etc etc etc... But one of the best things of this one is the Car/Track list, it was insane, road cars, race cars, road cars that have a race car kit to buy, for example BTCC cars, Rally, Endurance races... Awesome.

3 - Gran Turismo 6 - I dont see this one like a great GT game, we know that GT5 runs smoothly on PS3 because of the Post Procces and effects that GT6 added to the screen/cars/etc. But in this one the Feedback to the Wheel and the physics of the cars was really really good for a PS3, weight transfer and balance around corners, brake and throttle, diff/lsd reaction. The graphics was really good, the online (at the beginning) was really fast and good without lag and problems, the car list was huge and the updates put more cars and track into it. Now you can make your own tracks, i think it is a good game but NOT the best...

4 - Gran Turismo 1 - Nothing to say, the first game of a Masterpiece series.

5 - Gran Turismo 3

6 - Gran Turismo 5

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH.

My personal ranking is:
4, 2, 3, 1, 6, 5
(I will give reasons why later)

And Rome Circuit, more F1 cars, and a better chase cam.

Really I just miss SSR11. But, again, given the choice I'll take the 500-odd more cars, Nurburgring, Le Mans, Autumn Ring, Suzuka, Tsukuba, and classic Fuji over everything omitted. ;)

This may be controversial, yet I haven't played the original GT games...
1-GT4. I cannot explain how much of an impact this game has had on me. It was my first video game love, my first proper racing game and the beginning of my love affair with sim racing. So many awesome moments, even after playing it 6 months ago. It still provides epic fun, and has a collection of cars so diverse it's ridiculous. The world circuits are great, and the original circuits are straight fire, even to this day. I itch for a GT game like this one again.

2-GT3. I always thought that GT3 was a inferior to GT4, but after playing it again not so long ago, I realised just how great it was. Plenty of action packed races to complete, some tough AI and great vehicle selection, although small. No, it doesn't have the same emotional connection as GT4, but I can see why people love this game so much. However, I think I should leave this here: I had a race on Smokey Mountain on hard difficulty, and the finish was really close - about half a second. That was great fun, battling a 22B Subaru with an Evo 6.

3-GT6. Don't shoot me here but I got a tonne out of this game. In fact, much more than even GT5. I know many people see this as the worst Gran Turismo of them all, but I saw a lot of positives. The amount of free content was epic, making GT5's DLC look stupid. I don't care if the course maker came late, that was the least of my concerns. The fact that it had BATHURST, Silverstone and The Red Bull Ring really got me going. I love these tracks equally and I'm dying to drive on "The Bull Ring" in Project Cars 2. IGNORING the pathetic sounds for the majority of the cars, I actually liked some of the VGT sounds, and 97T is easily the best sounding car in the game.

4-GT5. I would never want to pick this game up again. I don't care whether it was "complete", I thought it was too mainstream. I didn't like the menu music AT ALL, I wasn't a fan of the B-Spec career (please don't ask me about it ever again because it was awful) and I probably underused the course maker. The amount of premium cars was OK, but the standard cars were a major mistake. At least GT6 changed a few models for the better. The AI was terrible, the time and weather change was fancy but completely screwed the experience because of horrible frame drops. Yes, I know the same thing can be said for GT6, but I don't think the optimisation was any good.

I cannot speak for GT1 and 2 because I have never played them.

It's interesting to see how everyone's experiences have differed with each and every title, and how different our opinions on some titles can be.

Personally, I'll always rank GT2 as the best Gran Turismo. While it was flawed in some regards (there's still no way to get 100% completion, the rally AI was absolutely terrible in the first version of the game before they re-released it with a patch) it offered an amount of content that was unheard of at the time, and not only kept the features that made the first game an international hit, but improved upon them as well. I learned of the existence of so many cars due to GT2, stuff that was never available in North America like the Kei Cars (hello Daihatsu Midget!) and varying older Japanese cars while still being quite diverse, something that I feel has not been quite the case with the later titles. The added tracks like Apricot Hill and Midfield Raceway provided a lot of intense racing action, we had a glimpse of the Pikes Peak hillclimb, and we got Laguna Seca as an added bonus. It was fun, the soundtrack was killer, and quite simply, it's my favorite game. :D

GT1 is second. It's the daddy, the one that changed the way a racing game should be, the one reason why we're all here debating which of those games is the best. It's genesis, and it's not aged well, but it doesn't matter. It was so involving, so interesting to play, and it ultimately made every racing game developer take notice. The king is dead, long live the king.

GT3 would come next, easily the best driving game of the lot, but with too few features to really make it to #1, and perhaps too much seriousness to make it to #2. The car list was more of a best of than anything, the track list was more or less the same one from GT2, but featured a lot of races to keep you entertained for a while. But the variety races sort of hinted at a direction that would become clear in GT4, something I wasn't sure about at the time but today can say really changed the way GT is played, eventually the game became long and tedious and struggled to keep me entertained. Plus, the random prize car draw was kind of annoying, especially at the end of a long championship or endurance race, where you had the chance to end up with a Miata instead of the F688/S (true story). I think I had something like 6 Gillet Vertigo at some point.

I wanted to put GT4 even further down the list but thankfully for it the title that followed managed to be even worse, so fourth it goes. It's the one I've played most, too, which might be odd considering how low it is on my list. I very much have an hate/love relationship with this one, but sadly the memories I have of it are mostly negative. On paper it looked like it would be the best game in the world, the car list was massive, the track list was impressive, and the early reports showed a multitude of events that would prove to make it last for years and years on. Except the massive car list, while diverse was not as diverse as one would have expected, with A LOT of cars that were basically the same aside from some small cosmetic details (an R34 GT-R V Spec II is exactly the same car as an R34 M-Spec Nur aside the goddamned color, folks.), and it featured some of the most useless cars ever added to a game, like the Benz Patent Wagen that couldn't climb a small hill. It became very clear this was turning into a car encyclopedia much more than a racing game, something that would later plague the series in other ways, like the photo mode, which in itself is quite interesting but always felt a bit misplaced. The physics were the worst in the franchise at this point, the sounds weren't impressive, graphically I always felt it was a step down from GT3. And then we come to the worst part, the part that makes me hate that game so very much; the actual racing. In about 85-90% of the events the AI wasn't able to deliver a suitable challenge, they were abysmally slow. But that 10-15%? Good luck. The game got hard for the sake of being hard, and I always felt the rewards never matched the effort it took. It got frustrating, too. The three 24h enduros got tiresome, they even broke my first PS2 back in the day. The fact you had to either drive them 24h straight by yourself, without being able to save in progress, or having the option to turn to B-Spec Bob to help you was an absolute joke, seeing how the B-Spec AI was absolutely terrible. It was incredibly grindy, something that would become a staple feature of GT5... But wait, we come to the piece de résistance, the one thing that nearly broke me, and broke at least 2 controllers out of sheer frustration. Mission 34 was, and still is to this day, the worst thing I've come across in a racing game. You had to be absolutely inch perfect while dicing around an AI that was absolutely oblivious to you and that you would obviously come across in the worst spots on the racetrack, in an understeering pig of a car that was only good for going straight... And if you made one tiny mistake, you had to restart the whole thing and spend 137 seconds sitting still, every time. It took me about 2-3 years to get through this thing, because I couldn't accept having a 99,6% completion average on that game, it became an obsession. And then I finally got it, and I shoved the game in a drawer and didn't play it until my mother found it and all my PS2 stuff a few months ago in a box in my childhood house's basement. Nostalgia got the best of me and I had to try it again... Nope, still won't change my mind.

GT5 is next, obviously. By the time it came out, I had ultimately jumped ship, got myself a 360 and was enjoying FM3, because 5 years is a long ass time between 2 titles, and even as a diehard fan I realised something just wasn't quite right with PD. It's the only Gran Turismo title I've not played at least 10 hours, because after 3, I absolutely could not care anymore, I could not get myself in the zone and actually enjoy it. To say it was a tedious experience would be an understatement. It failed to deliver on every aspect, from the sounds to the physics, to the massive car list that ended up being GT4 cars ported over with little to no improvement. Lazy. It was at this point I realised just how much GT had missed the mark, just how good FM3 had become (and how the following FM4 absolutely raped everyone on the racing game market, but let's not throw more fuel on the fire here) It was the end of an era for me, the series I loved and cherished since I was a teenager had lost all its appeal, and I have to say it was quite sad.

And as a result, I have not played GT6 at all, and to be honest I don't think I will bother with GTSport either, at least not from what I'm seeing so far.

Last edited:
GT3 was the last one where effort was clearly made to make a thought-out, well-crafted game. It cheated in some places to do it (it plays remarkably like GT2 to not notice how much inferior it is content wise; including track selection and AI philosophy), but someone designed GT3. Someone playtested GT3. It was also, however, the start of when GT started taking shortcuts. Tuning is much more barebones compared to the previous two, as it was the beginning of the lazy power multiplier that has plagued the series since. Imagination began leaving the game structure, even taking into account the things hidden in the game; and the lack of content was blatant. If there wasn't hybriding, I wouldn't have spent nearly as much time on it as I did.
GT4 had atrocious physics, the worst AI in the series and was the beginning of when it was obvious that Kaz, or whoever it was who was in charge of making sure the gameplay was befitting the amount of time spent making them weren't worried more about talking to car companies and showing off pretty screenshots.
GT5 was even worse, a complete disaster on launch that was only eventually patched into a complete-ish game that still just had a bunch of Band-Aids to hide the bad design (most of which are gone now that the servers are gone) instead of actual fixes. Still, it was more playable than GT4, had an online mode that was eventually pretty well featured, and PD appeared to have learned their lesson by the end.
GT6 was rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic and it would have been obvious even if the entire PR train for it hadn't been "hey we learned our lesson this time! so please buy this one." Luckily people didn't, because it was a complete waste of space; a transparent money grab that could have had its changes patched into GT5 and would have been the better game for it than what GT6 actually was on launch.

That leaves the other two. GT1 is far too rough, far too much of an idea rather than a finished product. The passion is there, but the production values aren't. It's clear that it would be a revolution for the industry, but playing it now makes it resemble (other than the structure that the series is abandoning anyway) much more the kinda chintzy games that were already on the Playstation at the time (like Tokyo Highway Battle and Ridge Racer Revolution) than what the series became with the next installment. It was obviously the target to shoot for, but the fact that everyone went after it immediately made it age much faster.

GT2 suffers from being unfinished. It suffers from far too much ambition, leading to a ton of stuff cut seemingly extremely late in development. It suffers from lack of playtesting (at first more obviously than later versions). This sounds like GT4, or GT5. Except GT2 was the last one that PD really tried with.
Duplicates? Sure, it has them. Useless 30 horsepower crapboxes? Yep, has those too; but certainly more variety than the series can claim for GT4-GT6 and they weren't twenty years old at the time. Corners cut for cars that weren't really duplicates but PD didn't bother to differentiate them? Yep. Bugs with power ratings and car names and etc? Absolutely.

You know what it also had? Absolutely enormous depth for cars that were contemporary at the time. Tuner cars for Japanese makes. Independent car manufacturers from the last period that those kinds of companies could really survive against the big ones without being boutique supercars. Look at the amount of RUF models they had! 930s, 964s, 993s; and they aren't all the top of the line headlining ones that can only compete with a couple cars. Contemporary American cars from multiple manufacturers and multiple market segments! Look at the European selection, and be in awe of how much depth it has. Who knew Fiat even made cars in the 1990s? Who new BMW made cars that weren't M models? Apparently Gran Turismo once did.
Sure, there's some stupid stuff; like the extremely clumsy attempt to localize (correctly, amusingly enough, but with bugs from being rushed) most of Honda Type Rs into equivalent Acuras instead of leaving both; but hey. They are both still in the game, just waiting to be grabbed by someone downloading a save off of GameFaqs. And the racing mods and LM cars! Be in awe at the amount of serial-numbers-filed-off versions of famous or contemporary race cars, and actual contemporary race cars from the last gasp of GT and WRC racing's tier one popularity and JGTC's relevance (albeit with specs that usually weren't right). And with the much deeper tuning system, with actual changeable power curves and occasional drawbacks to just throwing the biggest turbo on the car you can use, the amount of goofy role playing you can do with fake racing series you make up in your own mind are practically endless. Especially since this was a time where a typical race car was much more closely related to a typical road car than today; so you could make an RM go hit for hit with an LM racer like would happen in real life. You could make your own touring car series, with Vectras and A4s and 325s and even an American car or two. A psuedo BPR GT car series, with Mustangs and Supras and Camaros and NSXs and Esprits and Skylines and Corvettes and XJ220s and Venturis. GT2 came out during probably the last gasp of car culture existing in the mainstream (before the extremely temporary reprieve The Fast and the Furious gave it), the last time when motorsports' influence on car design was obvious, the last time that a company like Tommy kiara or Tom's or Venturi could launch a car. It was a perfect storm for the game to release.

And as far as stuff to do with those hundreds and hundreds of cars? You have hundreds and hundreds of events; with ridiculous variety of courses, AI selection and race parameters. All the tracks don't show up unfortunately unless you luck out in a random race, and you can cheat in some of them (80s car cup being the most blatant), but the latter is on you.

It's unfinished, but can you imagine if GT2000 had come out quickly as the polished GT2 it so clearly was supposed to be? But with the content and cut ideas of GT2? The series never would have been able to surpass it; and they haven't even really tried since then anyway.

Last edited:
Based on my overall experience with the GTs, my ranking is:

1. Gran Turismo 4 - Simply the best of all! Ear-catching and relaxing menu music, very big track list for its time with many unique tracks that unfortunately never returned to the series (Infineon, Grand Canyon, El Capitan, Citta di Aria, Costa di Amalfi etc.), insane car list for its time as well and LOTS OF races in Simulation Mode that would keep you interested for months!

2. Gran Turismo 3 - Ultra lucky to have played this game for the first time in the previous months (thank you @Stephen Vann and @nissman :D), I can say without doubt that the game took graphics more seriously than content, in a good way of course. The number of cars is small, sure, but at least they were enough to keep you busy around some difficult races. The cool track list gives me a good reason to put this game in that position of the ranking ;). Complex String and SSR11 won me here!

3. Gran Turismo 5 - "Hey, GT6 is better because it has more cars and tracks and features, Vision GT, course maker, bhshjdhhn blah blah blah..." SHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :P This choice is a bit weird here, because, objectively, the game was quite meh in terms of overall performance and presentation. My great experience in online racing actually made me to put GT5 here, so.. I believe it's a decent reason. :sly:

4. Gran Turismo 6 - It may seem a bit harsh, but if I look back to my days at GT6 starting from day 1 to today, I gain the feeling that I mostly spent my time waiting for something good to be added in the game to make it better than just dealing with it and finding ways to make it funny for myself. Basically, the game's value can only be seen when you have some good guys to race against in online. I may be wrong, but this is how I feel.

I'm not going to put GT and GT2 in my ranking, because I have never played them so I don't think its fair to say something about them.

Ummmmmm
Hmmm let me think I'd say

#1 GT3 - this was my first Gran Turismo so and I've came back to play the career mode again more than 4 times and every time the nostalgia hits me and I remember how good my childhood was playing this game. Good cars, good tracks, nice and fluid races in my opinion that progressed in longevity. Oh And those endurances, were well done.

#2 GT5 - I liked it I had fun although I was late to the party and played it way after online was shut down... But the car selection was good for the most part and the tracks were cool.. The best part was using the GT5 Garage Editor programming and having fun with modded cars.

#3 GT4 - I'm still in the middle of trying to beat the career mode but from what I've played I really like this game! The car selection is huge apart from the cars with numerous variations

#4 GT2 - interesting game i was hooked on it when I played it for the first time last summer. When I played the game it's like I time traveled back to the 90s

#5 GT1

#6 GT6 - GT5 2.0

@Famine's and @-Fred-'s posts really opened my eyes on GT4's flaws that I never took into consideration. I haven't played GT4 seriously in years. The last thing I remember doing back then was the Nurburgring 24H race, a task I gladly handed over to B-spec Bob. After that, I dropped the game for whatever reason, but I will be revisiting it one day as I want to 100% every GT (yes, even GT5 and GT6) and Forza game. I'm dreading Mission 34 though based on Fred's experience. It seems that GT4 is when PD started to lose their touch for some people. And what's interesting too is that the first Forza game would come out not long after GT4 did and begin addressing areas where GT was lacking like customization, sounds, damage, competitive AI, cars people have been wanting to see appear in GT for years like Porsche and Ferrari, and last but not least, online racing.

For me, GT5 was the turning point. To sum up GT5 in one sentence, it really makes you question what was going in at PD's offices during those 5 long years after GT4. It's like they forgot they had to have an actual game ready by the time 2010 came around. GT Mode in GT5 was the single most asinine, haphazard thing I've ever seen in a racing game:

Locking cars and events behind a level system (which can work if done right, see Forza 1 and 2) that wasn't well thought out and encouraged grinding.
Stuffing 80% of the cars in a cramped UCD where only 30
or so appear at a time, made even worse by the fact that certain cars are required to do a few of the events.
A short single player campaign, only artificially lengthened by making B-spec its own separate mode, which just used the A-spec races but longer.
No save feature for championships and endurance races until a year later in an update.
Absurdly high car prices with equally absurd race payouts, which again, encouraged grinding.
The convoluted paint chip system.

I mean, who approved of nonsense? On top of that, all these licenses PD got ahold of like NASCAR and Super GT were barely used and were just a missed opportunity. Standard cars were a very controversial topic.
GT5 was just drama and disaster in my opinion. It did have a couple of shining moments here and there. I enjoyed the AMG Driving School and Grand Tour special events. Unfortunately, those moments were few and far in between, and by the time PD came to the rescue with patches and updates to fix or alleviate the above problems it was too little to late for some, me included. And some of those fixes are gone now since the servers are shut down, leaving a hollow shell of a game. GT5 made me buy an Xbox 360 and Forza 3, a decision I'm glad I made.

It did give me some fond memories at least like strapping rubber bands to my DS3 to grind Indy, exploiting the gift system, doing doughnuts under the bridge at SSR7 in a GT-R, and of course, hybrids. I also collected 99% of the cars in the game while the seasonal events, OCD, and login bonus was still active, so when it's time to 100% GT5, I can just do whatever remaining events I have left. GT5 is the only game in the series that I never want to play again from the beginning.

And now for GT6. GT6 was just...mediocre. It did fix some problems I had with GT5. The awful level system was gone. All cars were available for purchase at all times. You could get through the career mode without using a single standard car, unlike GT5. Paint chips were still there, but they weren't one use at least. However, overall, the game just wasn't strong in any areas. It was also clear from the lack of depth in the career mode and the removal of endurance races, that PD just didn't care about having a strong single player experience anymore in GT. Which is why "Campaign Mode" in GT Sport will just be a glorified driving school.

So to sum it up, GT5 and GT6 are the two worst GT games for me. GT5 for its asinine design flaws and GT6 for just being underwhelming.

3, 5, 4, 1, 6, 2
Sorry I'm late. But that pretty much sums up my complete experience with this series beginning with GT3.
Three didn't meet the graphical hype that was relentlessly thrust into my fanatical mindset of 90s sim racing. GT's hype on graphics did not meet my expectations before the PS3.

Although 3 is the least of my favorities. I need to credit the confidence course... Complex Sting as GT's first large track. It remains to be my favorite of lost circuits. The 'plastic bubble' rendering drove me nuts. So much so that I couldn't enjoy the replays. It was sickening.

GT5 comes in at 5th for me. Graphics again. PD's decision to use 'warp imagry' peeved the hell out of me! IMO, Kaz said 'you order ugly, you get ugly'! There's nothing to appreciate about ugliness. But it was the promise of Ferraris and free to play online that convenced me to bid a tearful farewell to my first online friends at FM3 and spend almost a cool grand of my tax return on a PS3, GT5 disc and cheap, sits in your lap, steering wheel. I didn't get my money's worth, sadly. Don't blame the steering wheel ;)

Somewhat better grapics and and a solid chance to experince the green hell with friends on the split screen places GT4 above 3 and 5. Nothing else to say.

Gran Turismo came to be whilst I was 10yrs into statistical automotive information gathering for just what my planning was. No racing circuits but real streets and dirt for your fantasies plus a racing conversion of every car. Real spit in 3rd, son.

My nephew says Google made it worth it to do 3rd party tablet track editor-ing. Whatever... I cain't enjoy it like I did in 5's course creator. Not willing to purchase a tablet ONLY to create tracks. Active texlation(?) made damage imaging palatable and GT6 looks better than 5, overall. So why did they decide against Bspec drivers AND events? That's why GT2 remains at #1.

Other than the fact that I had to return the 'fun disc' to Sony for a glitch free replacement. The 3wk wait for it's replacement was reminiscent of 70's cereal box HotWheels anticipation. GT2 has the tracks and the cars and the looks when others still just didn't know any better.

3, 5, 4, 1, 6, 2?
Looks like the PS1 wins over a least favorite PS2 console ;)

Last edited:
GT3. Ahead of GT2 and GT4. Excuse you?

Sorry but no. Here what I think.

6th place: GT5 - Never played it, but some content was removed as well the difficult was too much in some area, - plus multiplayer on it for the PS3 is dead.
5th place: GT3 - I have played it a lot, it's started the franchise on the PS2-generation, but while was fun, was much less content in it compared to GT2. Disappoint.
4th place: GT6 - An upgrade of GT5 in a lot of ways and features most of cars in GT4 in it's standard quality, a few upgraded, you can customize a few cars aswell paint them too as you earn more colours in seasonals, multiplayer still works. But not worthy of the bronze medal yet.

Bronze Medal: GT1 - The game that started it all, I'm a heavy fan of it, almost every car you could apply a race mod and the soundtrack for it, in few versions, they were good. It was not heavy in content, but it was a great racer, one of the best by far.

Silver Medal - GT4 - For two reasons. One being a funny one, that I mostly silvered licenses in GT4. They are difficult, and missions, extremely challenging. You get a lot of track and car variety, even to PS2 days.

Gold Medal - GT2 - The classic that made the PS1 really shine, GT1 was great, and GT2 improved it - with more tracks that you don't see in other games anymore, more cars, some that you don't see in GT4 either anymore, and difficulty and nostalgia, on levels it goes beyond the imagination. This is what we call, a true classic. Tough game, while maintaining the fun it used to have in it's great days.

Last edited:
GT3. Ahead of GT2 and GT4. Excuse you?

Sorry but no. Here what I think.

6th place: GT5 - Never played it, but some content was removed as well the difficult was too much in some area, - plus multiplayer on it for the PS3 is dead.
5th place: GT3 - I have played it a lot, it's started the franchise on the PS2-generation, but while was fun, was much content in it compared to GT2. Disappoint.
4th place: GT6 - An upgrade of GT5 in a lot of ways and features most of cars in GT4 in it's standard quality, a few upgraded, you can customize a few cars aswell paint them too as you earn more colours in seasonals, multiplayer still works. But not worthy of the bronze medal yet.

Bronze Medal: GT1 - The game that started it all, I'm a heavy fan of it, almost every car you could apply a race mod and the soundtrack for it, in few versions, they were good. It was not heavy in content, but it was a great racer, one of the best by far.

Silver Medal - GT4 - For two reasons. One being a funny one, that I mostly silvered licenses in GT4. They are difficult, and missions, extremely challenging. You get a lot of track and car variety, even to PS2 days.

Gold Medal - GT2 - The classic that made the PS1 really shine, GT1 was great, and GT2 improved it - with more tracks that you don't see in other games anymore, more cars, some that you don't see in GT4 either anymore, and difficulty and nostalgia, on levels it goes beyond the imagination. This is what we call, a true classic. Tough game, while maintaining the fun it used to have in it's great days.
UR excused ;)

My numerical listing was from least to most enjoyed... because it was easier to remember the problem children; )

GT5 easily the best. Tons of cars and tracks, top gear test track, F1 cars, NASCARS, Daytona, tank cars on kart space, the dealership for premium cars was absolutely beautiful and soothing. The used car dealership might've been a pain for some but I enjoyed the challenge of finding the right car at the right time. I remember the first time I played it. It blew me away. I was so full of joy and enthusiasm. That first race on Daytona I was in love the moment I took my first lap. And the interiors were stunning. Driving the gullwing on the Nurburgring in the rain...I had a loss for words. I loved that game

UR excused ;)

My numerical listing was from least to most enjoyed... because it was easier to remember the problem children; )

I meant my post for the OP or article but you're seem somewhat on point. GT2 is a dead on classic, while GT6 is not the best, I have it plainum's and multiplayer's a thing for it.

However, putting GT1 ahead of GT4, you're more loyal than I thought. Intriguing.

I played GT1, GT3, GT4, & GT5 all at launch. GT3 was my favorite for a variety of reasons.

- GT3 had qualifying
- GT3 had the best version of Grand Valley. GT4 and later titles made the course overly technical and slowed it down.
- GT3 had SSR11. Newer GT titles do not.
- GT3 introduced the 787b to millions
- GT3 came out very early in the PS2's lifecycle and was an excellent showcase for the system's graphics. No future mainline GT game has come out anywhere near to the launch of a new console as GT3 did.
- GT3 had the best collection of endurance races, mainly because they were sensible. Most could be completed in an hour or two and the car/track combos were very fun. Theres nothing wrong with longer or 24 hour races, but if the game doesnt handle them right then they are pointless.
- GT3 had complex string
- GT3 had a nice collection of classic openwheel cars
- The soundtrack (Dogg's Turismo 3, 99 Red Balloons, She Sells Sanctuary etc etc)

My only 2 issues with GT3 was the random car prize selection, and some of the test course races were overly long. Besides that, the game was a huge bag of fun.

Of course you can look back and say that because of car count, vastly improved physics, online, graphics and other features GT5 or GT6 is objectively better then GT3. But if you look at how good a game was when it first launched and whether it lived up to expectations, GT3 soars above the other GT titles I played. GT5 may have made wholesale improvements over GT3, but the standard for it was higher when it released and I feel it fell short of what was expected of it.

I played GT1, GT3, GT4, & GT5 all at launch. GT3 was my favorite for a variety of reasons.

- GT3 had qualifying
- GT3 had the best version of Grand Valley. GT4 and later titles made the course overly technical and slowed it down.
- GT3 had SSR11. Newer GT titles do not.
- GT3 introduced the 787b to millions
- GT3 came out very early in the PS2's lifecycle and was an excellent showcase for the system's graphics. No future mainline GT game has come out anywhere near to the launch of a new console as GT3 did.
- GT3 had the best collection of endurance races, mainly because they were sensible. Most could be completed in an hour or two and the car/track combos were very fun. Theres nothing wrong with longer or 24 hour races, but if the game doesnt handle them right then they are pointless.
- GT3 had complex string
- GT3 had a nice collection of classic openwheel cars
- The soundtrack (Dogg's Turismo 3, 99 Red Balloons, She Sells Sanctuary etc etc)

My only 2 issues with GT3 was the random car prize selection, and some of the test course races were overly long. Besides that, the game was a huge bag of fun.

Of course you can look back and say that because of car count, vastly improved physics, online, graphics and other features GT5 or GT6 is objectively better then GT3. But if you look at how good a game was when it first launched and whether it lived up to expectations, GT3 soars above the other GT titles I played. GT5 may have made wholesale improvements over GT3, but the standard for it was higher when it released and I feel it fell short of what was expected of it.
Talking about the GT3 prize selection, I'm watching this YouTuber named Jimmy Broadbent. he's currently streaming his playthroughs of(hopefully) all the GT games, starting with GT2. Right now he's on GT3 and I can't tell you the amount of times he's gotten a terrible car after a long race, or a the same car he just raced with. Just last week, he competed in 6 endurance races, 5 of those being 100 laps. He was trying to get one of the F1 cars, but everytime he got a car he already had.

Longtime GT fan here...ever since GT2, I purchased on the release date. Thr,ranking of my favorite is a difficult decision because they were all my favorites when released. Each one seemed to improve and better the experience in,one way or another.

The original GT is such a game changer because there was nothing like it at the time it came out. GT2 came out and the graphics weren't much better...but there were so many new cars and tracks to run...even a real one like Laguna Seca. I won't forget the one lap in a Viper GTS license challenge. That was a hell of a car to keep on the road at that track. I really enjoyed the rally stages too. I hope the Tahiti Maze comes back again!

GT3 was a complete game changer because of the graphics. OMG...so gorgeous. I even had friends come over and thought they were watching a movie. It was the first game I had seen where the opening video matched the in-game graphics.

GT4 came out with soooo many cARS and tracks. I loved the history lesson and some of the historic cars like the MB Gullwing, the 1938 Audi/Auto Union, and of course the century+ old Mercedes Benz. Speaking of Germany, never thought I'd learn the Nurburgring Nordschleife like I did. I'd love to know how many laps I'd made around it. Also the dragstrip...I wonder how many passes I made in it?

Gt5 finally came out after what seemed like forever and it was worth the wait with more features. My favorite was the go karts. Having Jeff Gordon and Sebastian Vettel in the game was awesome too!!!

GT6 came out and it seems like it is just better than all of the previous GTs. Unfortunately, it is not on the ps4 platform so I wait to see what the next level will be like....super excited though. So my order is...

6. Gt5
5. Gt1
4. GT2
3. GT3
2. Gt6
1. Gt4

Simple: Bloat.

There were ~730 cars. How many were a version of a Nissan Skyline1? How many were a version of an MX-52? How many were a version of a 3000GT3, or NSX4, or S20005 or RX-76? Or Lancer7, or Impreza8?

There's 135 events, most of which are either one to three laps in a car you'll only use for that event (in fact outside of Endurance Hall there's only five events that have any race with more than nine laps) or a ludicrous distance like 99 laps of Opera Paris. And let's not forget the three 24-hour races. They take place in perpetual daylight around 8.5, 8.5 and 12.8 mile courses, with only five opponents. I imagine that with all the filler races and the daft endurances, very, very few people ever completed the game and most of them are on here.

There were 82 tracks - or rather there were 35 tracks, with 82 layouts. If you were to drive every car around every track for one lap, at an optimistic average 100 seconds per lap plus a minute of loading screens in between, for eight hours a day, it'd take you a year to drive all of them - and I'm not sure how you'd find the time to discover a hidden gem in all of that. Even with the ample time PD gave you by not releasing GT5, you'd have only got five laps per car.

All that GT4 brought was a few new cars and tracks (yay for the 'Ring and Le Mans, boo for Chamonix and Tsukuba), B-Spec and sensible ethernet LAN racing instead of iLink. The rest of it was bloat.

GT3 was so much smaller that you had the chance to try everything properly - you could spend hours getting to know each car, and in the same year of gaming as above, you could drive each on each track for 80 minutes. And you wanted to because, unlike GT4, the cars didn't all suffer from exaggerated understeer.

Although like GT4, about a quarter of the car list was those eight cars mentioned above, it seemed less heinous with 50 examples rather than 173 (if only because that's an average of six examples each, including different generations, tuned and racing cars, rather than 21 examples each). There were 40 manufacturers too - more than GT2, even though some beloved ones like Vector and Venturi disappeared with the PS1 and have never been seen since.

GT4 is still my second favourite. The amount of time I've spent on LANs with it almost decrees that it has to be up there, but GT3 is the last GT game where I went back to the career mode to do some races over and over again, because of how much fun they were.

1 - 56
2 - 11
3 - 8
4 - 22
5 - 14

6 - 19
7 - 23
8 - 20

Not logged in a good while - very explanative reply with your reasoning, I respect that.

You do make some good points, I 100% played 3 as much as 4, for sure I put in serious hours on all the titles up to and including 4.

The faux content inflation you point out was what made GT4 feel a much more rounded title than 3 IMO. In one persons eyes- that could be seen as a lack of focus, for me - its the total scope of just trying to complete everything, ridiculous races and special challenges included - that made it interesting for me.

For me personally I actually found it quite cool trying to obtain all the slightly different versions of the same models - the UCD addition on 4 was a great place to spend hours trying to build the collection of cars up.

The car list on GT3 seemed small for me (and still does) - lack of duplicates or not, the variety of cars was still good despite the reduced car list size on the game.

I think GT4 tracklist expansion, rally and real life tipped me above and beyond the edge in terms of the enjoyment from playing compared to GT3. The 'Ring was a godsend moment for a 10 year old me haha.

I played all games, and I completely disagree with this raking/article...

I think GT5 and GT6 have to be the best games in the series by far just because of the online mode that multiplies by 1000 the fun factor and game life. You can play online races for years and the game never gets old.
I would have stopped playing it completely if I could not play against other playes and I only had to play with the dumb CPU.

Don't let the nostalgia confuse you. Try playing those old GT's today and see how rubbish the car handling is, bad graphics and all that.

I also would easily place GT4 over GT3. GT4 not only a polished version of GT3 but also has lots more content in tracks, cars and stuff to do in career mode.

Then, Its very hard to decide if I place GT1 or GT4 as 3rd place (after GT5/6) because even though GT4 is massively better in everything, the wow factor in GT1 was incredible at the time.

Last edited:
Completely disagree with this raking/article...

I think GT5 and GT6 have to be the best games in the series by far just because of the online mode that multiplies by 1000 the fun factor and replayability factor.
I would have stopped playing it completely if I could not play against other playes and I only had to play with the dumb CPU.

Nostalgia much? Try playing those old GT's today and see how rubbish the car handling is.

I also would easily place GT4 over GT3. GT4 not only a polished version of GT3 but also has lots more content in tracks, cars and stuff to do in career mode.

What do you think is better out of GT5 and GT6?

What do you think is better out of GT5 and GT6?
GT6, because it has better physics, improved online modes, and has more cars and tracks.
Others may think GT5 is better because the offline career mode is much longer, but I dont care that much about it, I play mostly online

Late to the party here, but the extra time allowed me to conduct highly scientific experiments and come to the correct answer.

My findings are:
GT4 is best GT.

My more conclusive finding are:
1. GT4
2. GT3
3. 2-way tie between GT2 and Tourist Trophy
4. GT6
5. 2-way tie between GT1 and GTPSP
6. Motor Toon Grand Prix
7. ??-way tie between GT4 Prologue, GT5 Prologue, GT Concept, GTHD, etc.
8. GT5

(Obviously having a bit of fun at GT5's expense there, but I assure you that at least the top 3 entries of that list are scientifically accurate.)

There are some fair criticisms of GT4 compared to GT3 (though perhaps exaggerated by GT3 proponents), and GT3 certainly has its own charm (which I definitely appreciate since it was my first GT)... but overall I find GT4 to be the more compelling package.

Back