The Stratos is back

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 47 comments
I like it. Have always found it beautiful since its 2010 debut, so good thing they stuck to that look. The interior looks nice as well. Personally I think a modern Stratos interpretation couldn’t have been better. 👍

I know it’s not news, but it just irks me how Ferrari keep on trying to bar other manufacturers from using their cars as basis for other products simply because of ‘copyright infringement’ (saying this because I don’t really know the precise reason why the new Stratos is prevented from using the 430 Scuderia as a base), and how they keep on masturbating on their ‘exclusivity’. You’d hear them talking about how it is a bad habit to live off the spoils of the past, and at the next moment they’d threaten to quit F1 together with their rich racing heritage if things don’t go their way. I mean, they are indeed a bit special, and some of the modern cars they make look gorgeous, but it’s nowhere near as exclusive as they claim.

I like it. Have always found it beautiful since its 2010 debut, so good thing they stuck to that look. The interior looks nice as well. Personally I think a modern Stratos interpretation couldn’t have been better. 👍

I know it’s not news, but it just irks me how Ferrari keep on trying to bar other manufacturers from using their cars as basis for other products simply because of ‘copyright infringement’ (saying this because I don’t really know the precise reason why the new Stratos is prevented from using the 430 Scuderia as a base), and how they keep on masturbating on their ‘exclusivity’. You’d hear them talking about how it is a bad habit to live off the spoils of the past, and at the next moment they’d threaten to quit F1 together with their rich racing heritage if things don’t go their way. I mean, they are indeed a bit special, and some of the modern cars they make look gorgeous, but it’s nowhere near as exclusive as they claim.
You don't see why a company that doesn't mass produce doesn't want their products flooding the market? I would say making 500 examples of a car, or even 3000 is as exclusive as they claim. Also Mercedes have the same stance as Ferarri regarding F1.

You don't see why a company that doesn't mass produce doesn't want their products flooding the market?
But in the case of the Stratos, they are producing barely 25 of them, which I doubt will ‘flood the market’ by any means.

I would say making 500 examples of a car, or even 3000 is as exclusive as they claim. Also Mercedes have the same stance as Ferarri regarding F1.
That may look like so if you only look at the numbers. But comparing the sales figures between different supercar manufacturers will show you that Lamborghini sold less than half as many Huracans as the amount of 488s sold in Europe in 2017. And yet, you don’t find Lambo holding their patents so dearly and restricting other companies’ use of them so heavily.

Personally my gripe with Ferrari is their arrogance and how they treat their brand as if it’s the only one that’s producing supercars. Special they may be, just don’t go about suing whoever that breached their patent rights in the slightest way possible.

But in the case of the Stratos, they are producing barely 25 of them, which I doubt will ‘flood the market’ by any means.
That’s what MAT is producing now.

The original car debuted back in 2010/2011 which was right after the F430 left production. I don’t know what the proposed production number was, but Ferrari had no interest in supplying an out of production chassis and would not supply parts to the Stratos.

That may look like so if you only look at the numbers. But comparing the sales figures between different supercar manufacturers will show you that Lamborghini sold less than half as many Huracans as the amount of 488s sold in Europe in 2017. And yet, you don’t find Lambo holding their patents so dearly and restricting other companies’ use of them so heavily.

Personally my gripe with Ferrari is their arrogance and how they treat their brand as if it’s the only one that’s producing supercars. Special they may be, just don’t go about suing whoever that breached their patent rights in the slightest way possible.
Which has nothing to do with this car. The F430 was out of production. Any new parts would be shipped to dealerships to help maintain those F430s.

There was no incentive for them provide such support. Put it this way: you build and sell a product to market and begin work on the next gen. I come along and ask you to either sell me base of the old product so I can build something different or I’ll buy your product second hand and chop it up myself. Oh, and I need you to send me parts for it at trade price so I can maintain MY customers. I’m also gonna tell everyone your amazing product is the foundation of my product, whether you actually like what I built or not. So, what’s in it for you? You’re not going to make any significant money on parts at trade prices which end up forcing you to build more of those same parts to support your previous product. And the money you might make having to build me your old product may get in the you way of you trying to get your current gen out.

The Stratos could’ve seen production anyway, but the costs of having to source F430s and buy new parts at retail prices would’ve been a blow to their financial stability.

Last edited:
Harry Metcalfe confirming in his Geneva video the car starts at 550,000GBP, however future owners will also have to provide the donor car in addition to that cost.

Pistonshead's listings currently show the cheapest F430 listed is 80,000GBP (Scuderia at 123,000GBP).

So it's neither a mass produced, mid range sports car, which it looks more like to be honest, nor is it a one of a kind supercar, which it's priced at.

That, coupled with the fact that it's basically a secondhand Ferrari underneath, one that probably works better than a Lancia assembled in a shed somewhere using its parts, and the fact that in 8 years the design hasn't changed one bit from those cheap looking headlights, makes this really disappointing.

When I heard about this new Stratos, I was hoping Lancia would be more involved and return in some form to mass market production, even though the market for mid range sporty Italian cars is pretty saturated (by companies under the same umbrella too). This couldn't be more of a letdown.

Last edited:
Article about the upcoming Stratos published by Petrolicious after a factory tour & interview with Paolo Garella, the man behind MAT.
https://petrolicious.com/articles/is-the-new-stratos-a-modern-day-italian-renaissance-or-just-a-name

The first customer car is seen underway & the demonstrator car shows a bit of the F430-base car will be carried over into the interior. And the transmissions will also be based on whatever the donor car has, so manuals & paddle-shift examples will be seen.

Thought this was a bit interesting that Lancia was reached out, and they said a car like the Stratos had no future in their current line-up, and they never bothered to trademark/license the Stratos name or were even interested in the project.
RC: You were talking about Lancia, which is, let’s remind everyone, not attached at all to the New Stratos project. But still, I’ve noticed the iconic Stratos logo on and inside the New Stratos—have you asked them for a license, as I guess it was a trademark?

PG: Even back in 2008 when the project started, Michael was in contact with Lancia and their answer was they had no interest in it, but they had never protected the name or the brand as a trademark. They said there was no future at Lancia for this kind of product, that Lancia was known for small and medium-sized luxury vehicles today. They were offered to show the car, to be part of the project, but they were not interested.

Last edited:
Thought this was a bit interesting that Lancia was reached out, and they said a car like the Stratos had no future in their current line-up, and they never bothered to trademark/license the Stratos name or were even interested in the project.
...Said by a car manufacturer that now only sells Ypsilons exclusively in Italy :lol:

They will be showing the first 2 production New Stratos at Geneva, one for Germany and the other US.

Last edited:
Where can I order one?

No seriously, can one order a new Stratos?
There hasn't been any announcement of the entire run being accounted for, and MAT is showing Chassis #01 & 02 this weekend. So, as long as you have a F430 donor, there's at least 23 cars left to jump in on.

Back