The Tuner Culture: Show vs. Go

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 66 comments
  • 41,154 views
...which was my point entirely, above. I've met far more American car fans who know and appreciate Japanese cars than I have met Japanese car fans who know and appreciate American cars. Many of them hear "Chevy", "Dodge", or "Ford" and instantly dismiss it as crap. Look at all the derogatory comments about the Neon SRT: "it's still just a Neon", "it may be fast, but I'd never drive one", "it won't be reliable because it's American", "American company just trying to cash in on the Tuner market", etc.

I don't know if its a generational thing, or what. It's also hazy as to whether it is a car size/displacement thing, as I said. The strongest polarizer I have encountered is the Japan/America question, which just happens to overlap the small bore / big bore question.
 
i was pissed they drove the Yenko Clone into the boat and blew the Challengers passenger door off to throw that guy out.why couldn't they used a honda to drive into the boat?
 
...you get one guess.















Because they're American cars.
 
That whole "tuner culture" thing; It's BS. Stop trying to invent names for it, call it by what it is: Hot Rodding.

I'm all for the go part. I'd tend to get to the "show" part only when it's necessary (for instance, tighter seats, with better support, which I don't necessarily consider a show item, but it does add a bit of bling.) Besides, you can never fit enough brakes under those stock wheels, especially when you start making big power. One thing leads to another, and soon your stock looking car has a set of bigger wheels, and big, bling bling Brembos, or AP Racings, or StopTechs...

...I love every type of car out there...

If you're a real car guy, the origin of the car is pointless, what matters is how fast it is. I'll appreciate a 700 hp Supra as much as I'll appreciate a 700hp Camaro, or a 700 hp M3. The latter is unlikely, but you get the drift. I tend to have problems with cars whose emblems are horses, however... :lol:
 
Originally posted by neon_duke ...which was my point entirely, above. I've met far more American car fans who know and appreciate Japanese cars than I have met Japanese car fans who know and appreciate American cars. Many of them hear "Chevy", "Dodge", or "Ford" and instantly dismiss it as crap. Look at all the derogatory comments about the Neon SRT: "it's still just a Neon", "it may be fast, but I'd never drive one", "it won't be reliable because it's American", "American company just trying to cash in on the Tuner market", etc.

Location is a heavy influence too, if I go to a local track thats known for people and their muscle cars but I bring a Honda, all I hear is poeple talking about the "wannabe" car trying to hang with the big boys and all that other stuff. I think both parties are equally ignorant. If these dumbasses worked together instead of fighting they could do amazing things.

Alot of what gets me riled up are these people comparing a mustang to a civic, they use fords sporty car against hondas econo car, apples and oranges. Pure ignorance. However the fact that some honda owners talk their mouth off with big claims doesn't help either. The only way to do it is to show them that both sides have their own positive points.

Originally posted by neon_duke I don't know if its a generational thing, or what. It's also hazy as to whether it is a car size/displacement thing, as I said. The strongest polarizer I have encountered is the Japan/America question, which just happens to overlap the small bore / big bore question.

I can see the anti japanese thing stemming from people around during the war and maybee it just stuck or something. I also see the small bore / big bore thing because "bigger is better" etc. I think its more based on what they grew up with and what they are familiar with. Each person sees his type of car as perfect the way it is and the other persons car is inferior. Its just a case of them being stuck in their ways and refusing to change.

Originally posted by neon_duke
...you get one guess.

Because they're American cars.

True but if that were the case then why crash the Skyline and the Supra, viewed as 2 of the best japanese cars out there and they still wrecked them. I think your just looking a little too deep into that one.

PunkRock
That whole "tuner culture" thing; It's BS. Stop trying to invent names for it, call it by what it is: Hot Rodding.

Tomato, tomatto, same thing, I don't care what its called.
 
i just seen a 4 door honda civic with "SIR" Badges, A Neon with a "Don't Hate" Windsheild Banner and Altezza Lights and a Celica with brand new fartcannon meanwhile the body is all messed.

the joy of living near a parking lot
 
Originally posted by PunkRock
I'll appreciate a 700 hp Supra as much as I'll appreciate a 700hp Camaro, or a 700 hp M3. The latter is unlikely, but you get the drift.

700 from an M3 is possible, but requires a motor swap from the M5, not the factory 6. That motor is maxed at ~600.


M
 
Back