The Ultimate Mercedes

  • Thread starter Thread starter boiltheocean
  • 60 comments
  • 13,601 views
...too heavy and too garish. Well, what modern Mercedes AMG model isn't?
 
The SL65 Black is twin-turbo V12, the car you hear at the F1 is an SL63 V8.

Well I'm pretty sure there was a SL65 black pace car at the Melbourne F1 not two weeks back.....pretty sure indeed.

But hey, if that's what the 63 sounds like over F1s (I've been or a drive in an E63), just imagine what the SL65 black would sound like!
 
Benz_Patent_Motorwagen_1886_Replica.jpg

:D Kidding.
 
800px-71-Mercedes-Benz-280SL-1.jpg


Shazam. Best-looking, and certainly one of the most iconic Benzes of all time.
 
Brad that is one fine looking Merc for sure. But, anything with an AMG badge should get your juices flowing. :D
 
No.... :p what you did there. I see it.

THIS:
S404SilverCamperInDesert.jpg

or

THIS:
90352869_1.jpg


:D

in this regard, you are a man of impeccable taste. I wouldn't have thought to include the 404 Unimog, but i'm glad someone nominated it.

How about the Gelandewagen? In production for 30 years. At home in the middle of the Gobi desert and in the middle of Piccadilly square.

Or the W124 bodystyle (300E) especially in diesel form?
The million mile taxis?

And my recent favourite; AMG reincarned one of their first successful racecars

w109amg68760.jpg
and implanted todays 6.2liter engine and suitable upgrades (brakes etc)

I can't find pics but its silver. And made of 100% pure awesome.

Here's a lol story. Snopes is your friend though.
 
I have to say that at the moment, 190E EVO's are most attractive, followed closely be first gen SLK's..
 
JCE
Brad that is one fine looking Merc for sure. But, anything with an AMG badge should get your juices flowing. :D

Meh. As much as I love the Black Series AMGs (not to mention the various E55s of previous years), there is just something about a vintage "plane-jane" Merc that is outstandingly appealing to me. I suppose that its that inner hipster of mine that requires me to like old, basic Volvos as well.

Or maybe its because I'm white, and live in the suburbs. Who knows!
 
Mercedes-Benz F-Cell Roadster Concept

Mercedes-Benz-F-Cell-Roadster-Concept_1.jpg
 
I quite like the SLR McLaren and the SLK
 
Well, since all the cars I find to be the "Ultimate Mercedes" already have pics posted in the topic, I shall just say names...
190E Evolution II
CLK-GTR and CLK-LM road/race cars
Black Series AMG's
300CE AMG Hammer
300 SLR Coupe

I would say the C9/C11 but then, they are only Mercedes powered after all, Sauber made the rest of the car :P
And an honorable mention goes to the pre-war streamliner race cars, the C111 prototype/concept, and the SLR McLaren.
:sly:
 
*cough* The old SL280. :guilty:
800px-71-Mercedes-Benz-280SL-1.jpg
 
Or the CLK DTM
Mercedes_CLK_DTM.jpg


I have seen Raikkonen playing hockey,and outside the rink was this car.I was the onlyone who was more interested on this.
 
Repost alert!!

Repost on that one too...

How would they count as reposts if they are what more than one person thinks is the ultimate car?

Edit: Granted they don't have to post the pictures, but it shouldn't matter if they do in this sort of thread.
 
Forgot to mention the widebody W124 Hammer coupe.

hammeramgcd3.jpg



I. Love. That. Car.


Just needs less gauche wheels.
 
I've just been to the wikipedia, and do I have news for you!

It's been mentioned that the C63 is the spritual successor to the lovely 190E. This is absolute foolishness; such an overpowered, uncomposed, glitzy piece of rubbish would be a distinct embarrassment to the pure sporting characteristics of the 190E 2.5 16. But, to post that denouncement alone is scarcely one step above name-calling. So, I present to you a modern, small, sensible Mercedes with similar power ratings and weight ratings to the original: The A200 Turbo. It has mad power, 193hp/210ft-lb, and weights just 1275 and 1305 kilos in three- and five- door trim, respectively. At least from the numbers standpoint, that makes it a hot hatch. And really, that's all we can ask for from a luxury company. The rest, we either do ourselves or have a tuner do. And then, we have fast Mercedes shopping cart.

I also discovered a neat find: The CLC-Klasse. It's basically the three-door C-Klasse, but facelifted, and produced in Brazil this day. I'll post a picture soon; the ass-end of the car is just fab.
untitled-9.jpg


Also, Renntech seems extremely promising, but I'm not sure if it's 100% fair to use them. It really just depends on whether or not I find something awesome. EDIT: No they aren't. They basically only seem useful for making your normal Mercedes a bit spicier, presumably while exhibiting astonishing quality. However, they don't actually have a viewable parts catalog for Smart or for Sprinter. So, much less epic.

So, the only dream Mercedes of mine that is exciting (I love the unexciting old Mercedes, but that doesn't make them any less unexciting) and isn't fictional (I'm right there with the SLK63 crowd) is the Mercedes 190E 2.5 16 mentioned earlier. It's fastish, pure, light, and not a tuned aftermarket special. It is one of, as far as I can tell, two lightweight sportscars ever made by Mercedes. The other was the Gullwing. It blends excitement, dignity, humbleness, a bit of stateliness, and even prudence all in one tasty package. It has no weaknesses.

untitled-10.jpg


I love this car, even if that explanation sounded too logical. Fact is, it is a fast German box, and that pleases me in profound ways. Between this and that A200 Turbo, I think I've built a perfect 2-car garage. (Of course, there are many different perfect 2-car garages, and I think this is merely one way to that end.)
 
Last edited:
For me it's down to one of these:

2514035275c9054d3e8bb.jpg

It would be a cliche as just about every other expat in Hong Kong has one of these, but they are timeless. I would have one in a second. Beautiful!

Ultimate Merc for me has to be the 300SL and the 600

DSC_3625-grosser.jpg
 
Couldn't find a photo but dose anyone remember the C111 or am I just too old for this forum....lol anyone have a photo of this car please post one.
455431_769079_2876_2520_7725031998DIG84.jpg


Oh here you go!
 
Last edited:
My vote for all time classic porsche is the 300sl.

However of the newer cars definitely the Mercedes SLR Stirling Moss. It is what the front/rear of the slr mclaren should have looked like, not a C class.
mercedes-mclaren-slr-stirling-moss.jpg
 
The Unimog :D

Unimog-Speed-Freaks-Rok-Rodz.jpg




Just kidding,i preffer 190 EVO I and EVO II.
 
I haven't yet posted in this thread because I've spent the last day or two trying to comprehend the phrase "ultimate Mercedes". I've come to the conclusion that it is an oxymoron.
 
mercedes-clk-gtr-1.jpg


I prefer this version of the CLK GTR road car, that racing spoiler if just beautiful.
 
I haven't yet posted in this thread because I've spent the last day or two trying to comprehend the phrase "ultimate Mercedes". I've come to the conclusion that it is an oxymoron.

Obviously you are looking at this through a very narrow lens. There are some eminently capable Mercs out there. The Geladewagen for one. What comparable 4X4 existed in 79 other than the Rangie?
 
Concept_Car_Mercedes_C111_2.jpg


Too bad this never made it into production.
 
e320_bluetec.jpg
 
If this came down to being "if you could only have one Mercedes ever made, which would it be", I'd have to pick the S65 AMG. Somewhat understated luxury (not Rolls or Bentley-in-your-face styling), somewhat sporting in the handling department, and way more power than a sedan should ever need.

103828.28611.jpg


Just look at it! :drool:
 
Yes yes yes its awsome and whatnot but come on it those wheels need to be black! :D
 
Back