The Ultimate Orphan

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jim Prower
  • 31 comments
  • 6,475 views

Jim Prower

The Big Blue Ford.
Premium
Messages
10,620
Messages
gtp_jimprower
Y'know...there's just something about orphan brands and carmakers that kind of touches me. Thus...there is only one rule

As of 2009, the Brand or Manufacturer must NOT be selling, building, or racing cars of their own design.*

Studebaker Lark Supercharged
Left.jpg

Simply for trying to slug it out to the death with the big three, these guys deserve to be in. Besides, what's cooler than a car from the factory with a blower?

Plymouth Superbird
1233446967.jpg

Gotta love it when the AUTOMAKERS try to take advantage of loopholes.

Duesenberg SSJ
Duesenberg_SSJ.jpg

This was the best car in the world when it was sold. It is now one of the most valuable.

*This includes defunct divisions of current automakers such as Oldsmobile, Plymouth, DeSoto, and Edsel. As well, marques of British Leyland that did not survive as parts of other companies are also eligible, as are all AMC products other than Jeeps. This, ironically, EXCLUDES De Lorean, as they've started to build complete cars again!
 
There are so many to choose from. Hundreds of Brit and American marques alone. I'll choose some Brit ones though, starting with the obvious...

...Morris, responsible in part for the Mini (Minor, as well as the car being produced under the Austin Se7en name).
800px-Morris_Mini-Minor_1959.jpg

It's a fair and very significant inclusion, as even as long as the Mini lasted, it was last produced by Rover (who also no longer really exist) so we no longer have this iconic car being produced in 2009 (and indeed, haven't done for the best part of a decade).

Similar to the Mini, though through a different manufacturer, Riley, here with the Elf:
Riley.elf.arp.750pix.jpg

Never had the success of the Mini, but had it's own charm. As for the company themselves, they had a history stretching back to 1890. The last Riley was produced in 1969.

My final submission before I go to bed, Austin Healey. I've chosen the Sprite to represent them, as it's one of the classic British sports cars:
800px-1960_Austin_Healey_Sprite.jpg

The marque lasted just 20 years, from 1952 to 1972, set up under BMC.
 
Plymouth Prowler
2000+Plymouth+Prowler+LARGE.jpg
 
The Cord 810/812, one of my favourite vintage cars of all times. There is just something about the futuristic art deco design that makes it awesome.

783px-1937_Cord_812.JPG


There is also the Auburn 851 Speedster which is beautiful as well, and was designed by the same designer, named Gordon Buehrig, as the Cord 810.

800px-Auburn_852_Speedster_1.JPG
 
Vector Aeromotive's W8, the most badass car ever.
800px-VectorW8.jpg
 
Agree Joey, love the Auburn Speedster, especially this prime example I viewed at a car show last summer.
backtothe50s187.jpg


AMC brought a few awesome cars to the table.
Gremlin X
225289371_1471663c68_o.jpg


Hurst SC/Rambler
ITEM_22-A-3_1969_SC_RAMBLER_A-SCHEME_copy2.jpg


AMX
1969_amx.jpg


And of course the Eagle SX/4
KamunenSX4.JPG
 
1981_Delorean_DMC12.jpg


I figured that one would be obvious.

...And no, I don't count this new investor BS as a legitimate DeLorean revival...
 
Vector Aeromotive's W8, the most badass car ever.
800px-VectorW8.jpg

Nice car, but I heard Vector are trying to build a new car now. Probably fell flat on its face though.

As for me, too easy, Valiant Charger E49 R/T

whitevhe49.jpg


This car was able to run with and beat the V8s of its time, it looks and sounds awesome running a Hemi 6cyl. It was even the fastest accelerating naturally aspirated 6cyl production car in the world for many many years after its time.
 
Vector Aeromotive's W8, the most badass car ever.
800px-VectorW8.jpg
Vector is still technically around, just with a changed name. The new car is quite like Keating/Barabus. Making high claims & nothing to show.
 
Vector what? Who? Can I sell you a Bricklin SV1, while we're here? :lol:
 
I knew a guy who had a Bricklin. It was an utter pile of crap even when new!
 
Fiat 128 B1 - The Italian Nessie.

Never produced by Fiat,but produced under name of Zastava 101 or Zastava 1100 in some countries.
Three main body styles,5 door hatchback,3 door hatchback and pick-up(my favorite)

Next to Zastava 750,these cars motorized almost whole Yugoslavia back then

The company died last year. :(

2e3wj2h.jpg


6j3gq8.jpg


DSC00341.jpg


2ivil2a.jpg


50qixs.jpg


sgu0w8.jpg


34tbs3n.jpg


2ed7ckz.jpg


jsyukg.jpg


Pick up(fiat on the picture,but exterior difference is in taillights) - my favorite

sieg_02.jpg


sieg_04.jpg
 
I personally prefer the M12 and WX-3 over the W8, but I like them all save for the new one.

vector_Avtech_WX3_DV-07_PB_012.jpg


Another car I think fits is the Sunbeam Tiger. I really don't know much about it, but a V8 shoehorned into a british sportscar can only go well. My grandfather used to joke with my dad that if your Sunbeam broke down you could take apart your toaster and fix it.

1964_Sunbeam_Tiger_Mk_I_f3q.jpg
 
I always liked the Alpine. It was like the Gentleman's version of the Cobra.
 
Oldsmobile's

The Cutlass / 442 lines especially

Olds442.jpg
 
As for me, too easy, Valiant Charger E49 R/T

whitevhe49.jpg


This car was able to run with and beat the V8s of its time, it looks and sounds awesome running a Hemi 6cyl. It was even the fastest accelerating naturally aspirated 6cyl production car in the world for many many years after its time.



Which is a Chrysler, which is still around (barely :p ).
 
Why not the Avanti?

I gave a thought to that...but there's been "Avantis" produced throughout the ages (I think you can still get one)...and I kind of like the Lark for being more of a sleeper.

EDIT:

http://www.avantimotors.com/

Their site. not updated since '07, so it may be a legit orphan.
 
Which is a Chrysler, which is still around (barely :p ).

I'm a bit confused, was it called a Chrysler Valiant Charger? The name itself is confusing since the Valiant is a Plymouth and the Charger is a Dodge.
 
I'm a bit confused, was it called a Chrysler Valiant Charger? The name itself is confusing since the Valiant is a Plymouth and the Charger is a Dodge.
I don't think Dodge & Plymouth were very big outside the US, so it may have been called a Chrysler like the Viper was in Europe.
 
I think the Valiant Charger (in and of itsself) was a unique model similar but separate from the Plymouth variant sold in the US. it was sold in Australia.
 
Their site. not updated since '07, so it may be a legit orphan.
I'm fairly certain that the guy who started that company is in jail, so probably.

RE: Valiant Charger.
The Valiant was originally just a badge job, but I think by the 70s it was Australia-developed and completely separate from the Plymouth model. That car certainly doesn't look anything like any Valiant that was ever sold in America. Maybe it was Duster-based? I know the Duster was originally badged as a Valiant...
 
I'm fairly certain that the guy who started that company is in jail, so probably.

RE: Valiant Charger.
The Valiant was originally just a badge job, but I think by the 70s it was Australia-developed and completely separate from the Plymouth model. That car certainly doesn't look anything like any Valiant that was ever sold in America. Maybe it was Duster-based? I know the Duster was originally badged as a Valiant...

The Valiant seems to be the mother of a hell of a lot of cars, including mine and my friends Scamp.

It would make sense to use the Valiant name though because doing some research on my car the Valiant was apparently a large name in other countries. For example all mentions of the Valiant were phased out in 65 and 66 for the Barracuda in America, but in Canada and everywhere else it kept all of the Valiant badges as well as the name Valiant Barracuda.
 
Call me crazy, but I kinda like the AMC AMX...

amc-amx-1968c.jpg
 
these might not be superb cars but i think they are still cool :D
rebel machiiine
amc303.jpg

jensen interceptor, iv always thought of this as a rival to the reliant scimitar but this was better
Jensen_Interceptor_S.jpg

sunbeam stiletto ooo yeah, among other nippy little brits
r61805_sunbeam_stiletto.jpg
 
I think the Valiant Charger (in and of itsself) was a unique model similar but separate from the Plymouth variant sold in the US. it was sold in Australia.

Yeah, we had Chrysler in Australia who made Australian models like the one Paulie posted in Australia, in the older days again we did get Dodge imports but later it was all local Chrysler. Valiant was a Chrysler here, as was Valiant Charger :)

Later the Chrysler factory was taken over my Mitsubushi who took over the Galant and Sigma production and Chrysler dissapeared from Australia for many years. Now we have Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep but unlike before none of them are built here. This probably why Paulie posted the Chrysler Valiant Charger.
 
Reventón;3370999
Vector is still technically around, just with a changed name. The new car is quite like Keating/Barabus. Making high claims & nothing to show.

It's ugly too. I hope it never reaches production, as it be an affront to true legends like the W2, W8, M12, WX3 etc...

The company that made the W8 is dead, so the car is technically still thread eligible.
 
Yeah, we had Chrysler in Australia who made Australian models like the one Paulie posted in Australia, in the older days again we did get Dodge imports but later it was all local Chrysler. Valiant was a Chrysler here, as was Valiant Charger :)

Later the Chrysler factory was taken over my Mitsubushi who took over the Galant and Sigma production and Chrysler dissapeared from Australia for many years. Now we have Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep but unlike before none of them are built here. This probably why Paulie posted the Chrysler Valiant Charger.

Pretty much, I considered the Australian version of Chrysler Valiant a sort of unique brand since they produced their own cars. Obviously the Australian division is now deceased, so that's why I posted it.👍 If people can post Oldsmobile in here, one could argue that GM is still around. Sort of see where I was coming from?
 
Last edited:
sunbeam stiletto ooo yeah, among other nippy little brits
r61805_sunbeam_stiletto.jpg

Good call on Sunbeam and even better call on the Stiletto. One of my favourite Brit classics 👍
 
Back