The Wheel Journey Begins.

• Thread starter El_Beardo
  • 48 comments
Wales
Anglesey
El_Beardo_Grande
After playing GT since the PS1 days with a controller, my wheel journey starts now. Well, later tonight. A G29, shifter, and Trak Racer FS3 are waiting to be set up when I get home.

My current plan is to qualify for, and then do a few of the current Daily race C's on the DS4 to get my 99SR back. From that qualifying time, I'll dive straight in with the wheel, and see how far off I am.

Then I'll do the driving school from beginning to end, and reattempt qualifying at Nurburgring GP, to measure the improvement from my first wheel lap.

Hopefully I can gold all the tests by the end of the week.

If anyone has any other tips/tricks, I'm all ears.

My current plan is to qualify for, and then do a few of the current Daily race C's on the DS4 to get my 99SR back. From that qualifying time, I'll dive straight in with the wheel, and see how far off I am.
:eek: I wouldn't try doing that just yet my good sir. :lol:

You should take a few days for some offline practice at least. 👍

I have ordered a Brook Super Converter last week which should be arriving tomorrow, then i'll be back at it with my DFGT.
It's gonna take me a few days to get the swing of things back because I haven't been on the wheel for nearly two years. :nervous:

Last edited:
Ah OK then...

You should also do some GT League or arcade custom races too, it will help getting used to dodging the (sometimes) unpredictable traffic.

I'm not mental enough to even contemplate racing in Sport mode for the next couple of weeks. I know it's going to be one hell of a learning curve, considering how long I've been playing with a controller.

GT League races are a good idea. As are the driving challenges. It'll force me use cars/classes that I generally avoid in Sport mode.

Make sure you read and understand the settings for the wheel. Hopefully you're not as dense as I am, I made too many assumptions and only skimmed my manual and it left my wheel behaving in a way I didn't expect. Take the time to learn/understand the gear.

Make sure you read and understand the settings for the wheel. Hopefully you're not as dense as I am, I made too many assumptions and only skimmed my manual and it left my wheel behaving in a way I didn't expect. Take the time to learn/understand the gear.

Agreed. Also, take the time early on to dial in your settings before you start adjusting to the wheel. I recommend setting the sensitivity as high as you're comfortable with and feedback strength somewhere in the middle range, 4-7. You might have to tweak it as you progress but a good baseline helps.
Also, spend a little time in different cars doing slides and abrupt maneuvers to dial in your inputs and get used to recovering beyond the limits. When I switched from the DS4 to a t300 i found the biggest challenge to be consistency and catching slides... so you too might find yourself spinning around often as you adjust lol
Oh, and try to be gentle with your equipment. These new wheels are not the sturdiest things so lower FFB and delicate inputs can help prolong the life of your setup 👍

Agreed. Also, take the time early on to dial in your settings before you start adjusting to the wheel. I recommend setting the sensitivity as high as you're comfortable with and feedback strength somewhere in the middle range, 4-7. You might have to tweak it as you progress but a good baseline helps.

Not to discount what he's saying here, but as someone who is going through the same thing you are I found the best settings for me was sensitivity and FFB set to low settings between 0-2. I'd recommend starting at 0 and work your way up, of course opinions are like you know what sooooo.

I was very slow on the wheel when I first made the switch, even now months later I'm still a second or more slower on the wheel. So don't expect any serious results right away. I thought I could just get a wheel and I'd be 3 seconds faster in a day or two, lol. Even though the wheel is way more fun, I still don't use it for any races when my DR is on the line. I feel I'm getting close though.

I'm not sure what kind of rig your using, but odd little things can make you faster. I put a pillow to support my lower back on mine and I was faster. My stand had the slightest wobble, so I corrected it and i was faster

OK, so not much happened on Monday or Tuesday night. Well, stuff happened. Just not game related in the slightest.

So, I've just got off the wheel. It's . . different. But, I like it. I've managed to beat my gold times for the first three and a half rows of the driving school (I'll do the rest tomorrow, or Friday) Then we did 12 laps around Nurburgring GP to see how far off I am. My DS4 qualifying time is 2:06.443. Best wheel lap so far is 2:07.806.

It's going to take a good few weeks/months until I'm properly comfortable with it, and a lot more practice is needed before I'll be consistent enough to race online. But, for the first night using the new toy, I'm happy enough.

Another three hour long session.

Im getting the hang of the wheel. I'm getting close to DS4 times at certain car/track combos. RCF GT3 at Catalunya, for example. I'm struggling with elevation changes (Bathurst) but, more practice will get me where I need to be.

Strangely, I seem to be able to brake much later than I can on the pad. Even without trail braking.

Another three hour long session.

Im getting the hang of the wheel. I'm getting close to DS4 times at certain car/track combos. RCF GT3 at Catalunya, for example. I'm struggling with elevation changes (Bathurst) but, more practice will get me where I need to be.

Strangely, I seem to be able to brake much later than I can on the pad. Even without trail braking.

I too noticed how late you can brake compared to ds4. Even still when I watch the top 10 stars in qualifying who have pedals they're braking later STILL. it pays dividends if your downshifts are perfect aswell. The transition to wheel can be quite a task, but there is so much more time to be found with a wheel. You just need to train yourself to be smooth on it

I love the wheel but for me the accelerator is just bad. G29 peddles but the curve makes it difficult to hold revs steady high up the range. Braking seems much better. Personally I’m old so keep my ffb settings quite low because only other wheels I’ve used was arcade outrun and that was loose haha.

The best part about racing with a wheel, and the most underrated skill now open to you, is the footwork. Pointing the car with your hands will become second nature very soon, but dancing on the pedals in concert will take some focus...and if you can begin to master it, then there are loads of time to be gained.

My advice, get some durable socks and practice elevating the finesse of your left foot, especially your left foot. Get into a custom offline race and just play around. Don't worry about lap times and be intentional about getting your hands and feet in sync while you concentrate on the following.

1. threshold braking/trailbraking
2. corner entry
3. mid corner/apex speed
4. corner exit

Good consistent traction is what you're looking for, not threading the needle for a miracle lap.

Techniques vary, but this Brazilian innovated on what's possible. Have fun with it, there is no right and wrong way to go fast...but I suspect the talent you possess in your feet may have a lot to do with it. Good luck, everybody on this forum should have a wheel!!! Get a fkn wheel!!!!

I've had my wheel and pedals for a couple weeks now, and they're awesome. I knew there would be a learning curve, but I knew it would be worth it.

When I ordered them, I spent the next few nights setting my fastest times on several tracks with my DS4 to give me something to compare to. I like to go to Circuit Experience when setting track times. I set new best sector times and track times, and went as fast as I could go, thinking it could end up taking a long time to beat them with my wheel.

My wheel got here and I installed firmware and drivers, calibrated, and played with all the settings (It's a fanatec setup), and finally started trying to drive fast. I went to Brands Hatch first and just worked on the first sector, since that first turn is a tough one to get right. I ended up beating my time after about 20-30 attempts, all while not being used to my new rig at all. I beat the first 3 sectors that night, while changing and trying to figure out the settings. I beat the whole track the next night, along with Willow Springs.

I was getting used to it and my foot was getting calibrated to the brake force settings and stuff. Over the next several days I beat my other times, sometimes by 1.5seconds or more, and I could certainly beat them by more since I would just beat the time and move on to the next track without further laps. The last track to fall was Interlagos, as that's my best track. My Circuit Experience time was 134.6xx with the DS4, and I beat it by .2 secs. That one felt good, since I was so consistent with my controller (on that track, at least). I think the difference is the ability to be more consistent overall.

I can put the car where I want to now. I can feel how the weight is shifting and adjust mid-corner using left and right foot at the same time. I can modulate the brake and throttle with much more precision, compared to the DS4 right analog stick, which I was using for gas/brake. Trailbraking is much better now, since I have more precision, but also I can start loading up the drivetrain with a little throttle at the same time - making the transition to accelerating out of the turn much smoother and faster. I also realized I had been understeering massively with the DS4 on several turns on different tracks, since I'd often just whip the steering all the way over going in to certain turns.. and now I rarely ever use even half of my steering angle.

The driving aids I use are ABS default and TCS 2. I try to not activate the TCS at all, and I think that's a key point. If you accelerate smoothly and time the throttle increase with your ever reducing steering angle out of a turn, the TCS won't kick on and "stall" your progress. This has become much easier with a driving rig. TCS 1 is hard for me still, but at least now I can get around a track without spinning usually. The problem is that I'm too conservative with the throttle when TCS is 1 or 0, so my goal is to get better there.

You'll get faster once you start thinking about the strengths of your setup compared to DS4 and trying to maximize those on every single turn.

I have a g29 and a chair. The chair is one of the rolling 'gaming' chairs.

Now, I need a stand. I'd prefer not to break the bank on it and it needs to be easy to store when not in use. I'm also 6'2" (187 cm) tall, if that matters/helps.

Any recommendations?

Now, I need a stand. I'd prefer not to break the bank on it and it needs to be easy to store when not in use. I'm also 6'2" (187 cm) tall, if that matters/helps.

Any recommendations?
I'm using a Pello/Poang by Ikea. In EU it costs around 40 euros, and it is a pleasure to play with.

Still making this transition myself. Had the wheel for a month and a half now and it took a few weeks of daily extended use to get back up to speed. Now trying to work on left foot braking and jus being smoother with my steering. Win or lose, fast or slow, the wheel and pedals make everything more enjoyable

Any recommendations?
When I was looking I found the reviews here quite useful:

http://xboxracingpro.com/steering-wheel-stand-reviews-find-best-sim-racing-steering-wheelstand/

Ended up getting a "cockpit" - chair and stand all together and pretty pleased with it. Only trouble is the column for the wheel makes it impossible to use your right foot for the brake, which in a way is good as I had to learn left-foot braking!

Still making this transition myself. Had the wheel for a month and a half now and it took a few weeks of daily extended use to get back up to speed. Now trying to work on left foot braking and jus being smoother with my steering. Win or lose, fast or slow, the wheel and pedals make everything more enjoyable

Bet it was a Christmas present like mine....:cheers:

@Bivittavus88 any progress this weekend? I found after i hit my ds4 times it became a much slower progression to improving on that. Although i also switched from chase to hood cam, which i am fairly certain slowed my transition to the new "controls" i know i am a faster now but dont thin i will get to be all that much quicker than my ds4 unless i can learn how to left foot brake well. Practice practice practice i guess. I know some of the tips people have suggested to get better at it, and i drive a stick in real life and am a drummer, so it's all mental for me i believe. It really messes up my head when i try to do it....

Off topic... never got ripped off for presents. Always seperate unless it was a real big one. The wheel came from the wife so it was bday only :)

No progress over the weekend. Work yesterday, and the other half wants a relaxed day infront of the TV, today. I might hop on for a few hours later tonight. But, if I do, it'll be to try and get my DR over 20k, instead of getting time with the wheel.

I'm only working 25 hours this coming week, though. So, I'll get more wheel time in after work.

After playing GT since the PS1 days with a controller, my wheel journey starts now. Well, later tonight. A G29, shifter, and Trak Racer FS3 are waiting to be set up when I get home.

Then I'll do the driving school from beginning to end, and reattempt qualifying at Nurburgring GP, to measure the improvement from my first wheel lap.

Bought my first wheel years ago and after about thirty minutes it went back in the box for about three months. Decided to try it again and now I won't play with a controller. Have fun with the new wheel but don't expect to be faster right away.

Latest Posts

Back