The Where's the Outrage Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 278 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've created this thread for the news stories that seem to not generate media outrage as to not clog up other threads.
I'll start with this story I posted in The George Floyd thread.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-carolina-boy-cannon-hinnant-murder
I'm guessing the outrage is not there because the murderer has been identified and locked up and it doesn't seem to be part of an ongoing trend of sociopathic murderers deliberately shooting their neighbours' kids for straying into their yards. I could be wrong though.

I'm guessing the outrage is not there because the murderer has been identified and locked up and it doesn't seem to be part of an ongoing trend of sociopathic murderers deliberately shooting their neighbours' kids for straying into their yards. I could be wrong though.
Beat me to it. Thanks 👍

I'm not a mod and can't stop people from posting where and what they want to.

I think in an ideal world there would be a Cannon thread, a Chicago victims thread, a Boohoo clothing thread, a Henry's statues thread...

But this is a start and I appreciate your efforts @ryzno. At least you put your money where your mouth was and did what you said.

---

Cannon's funeral has been held and a local news station made this report about it.

Fortunately the YouTube comments have been turned off for this report otherwise I think the outrage over this death would be very evident as it is on social media.

Last edited:
I'll repost the image that @Leo Thorne posted in the Political Cartoon thread here:
4B3F186E-1786-46CC-8C61-7D7BBF8EDB00.jpeg

The point made in the image is one that I haven't seen addressed really is this sentence:

Reverse the races and this is the only thing anyone talks about for a month

Reactions: VBR
Yes, the killing of Cannon is awful. However, there's a high likelihood justice will be served. As far as I know, Sessoms is looking at first-degree murder, which means if convicted he will probably serve a minimum of 20 years with a greater probability he'll be in prison for life, if not sentenced to the death penalty.

What I don't understand is why do we have to use the killing of Cannon to invalidate what's going on with the protest against police brutality? You can be outraged by both.

The point made in the image is one that I haven't seen addressed really is this sentence:
Except that statement is a false over-generalization.
You can be outraged by both.
I believe the idea of this thread was to be a place for outrage at other things, it's just the thread title is worded poorly and it's already been corrupted by narrative pushing.

I believe the idea of this thread was to be a place for outrage at other things, it's just the thread title is worded poorly and it's already been corrupted.
And that my friend is why I didn't want to create a thread.
------
At least he's being talked about now.
I don't know if it's outrage on my behalf but I'd literally like to grab him by the shoulders and simply ask him, why did you do that?
I'm genuinely curious.

Edit:

****...them...all.
That escalated quickly.

Reactions: VBR
How are we supposed to know that people won't be talking about the kid being murdered a month from now when it just happened last week?

Seems a bit of an odd point to rally around in the first place when the GOP otherwise likes to use inner city violence against blacks as a whipping post for Democrat-leaning cities.

That escalated quickly.
Nothing quick about it, felon.

Seems a bit of an odd point to rally around in the first place when the GOP otherwise likes to use inner city violence against blacks as a whipping post for Democrat-leaning cities.
Cannon is white and the man who killed him is black. It's a matter of priorities.

And you still haven't directly acknowledged his name, felon.
What happened to your Orange?
And nice insult. Too bad it doesn't bother me, just makes life a PiA sometimes...

What happened to your Orange?
It doesn't matter when I have it and it doesn't matter when I don't.

Say, felon, you still resolutely refuse to acknowledge that little boy's name. How about you explain that?

Say, felon, you still resolutely refuse to acknowledge that little boy's name. How about you explain that?
To make you happy? I should bow to your feet and do as you command?
I'm not forcing anyone to say anyone's name. IMVHO it's another stupid SM trend so thanks for trying to stroke your ego again and trying to get some kinda stupid payback by trolling my thread.
Have a good weekend! This bud is for you great orange one!

I think there is outrage, as shown by people talking about this. I overheard a conversation about how the media isn't talking about Cannon because it doesn't fit their agenda. But it's one of the top stories on my google news list. So people are talking about it online, in-person and it's in the media.

To make you happy?
No, to respect the family. This has been made clear to you multiple time. You're going out of your way to not say it. It's disgraceful. C-a-n-n-o-n. It's only four letters on your keyboard. Just type the damn name, it's really not a big deal.

Please don't do this, man. Please. I know you're better than this.

@ryzno isn't the one asking people to say his name. None of that poisonous crowd have even shown up here despite professing to care about Cannon. I honestly believe he's trying to help.

@DesertPenguin I think your anger is directed at the wrong person as well. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
So who should I be directed at?
The people who are asking you to "say his name". The people who complain that Cannon and the little kids being shot in Chicago are being ignored because of BLM and George Floyd, yet are not even interested in discussing him or making a thread of their own while they prefer to stink up the George one because it has more views.

C'mon, @ryzno did what we asked and made a thread. The least we can do is at least try to have a civilised conversation about it. I can see clear blue sky between posters like him (and @dlshearon) who are acting with civility, and those other posters who post strings of inflammatory memes or are intent only on name calling. They're not here, and he is. Your mileage may vary, but that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Fair enough. @BobK is the one who posted that meme in here, not @ryzno. And I do appreciate that he actually made this thread, although I feel the title should be a bit less crass.

I'm open to recommendations.
It's your thread and it's up to you. Like I said I would've made this a Cannon Hinnant thread. Let that guy who posts nothing but Chicago stats make his own thread if he wants. Then we can talk about how the president promised to solve everything last month* by sending in Federal troops and whether that'll make things better or worse.

* in fact he's been threatening to do this since at least 2017.

Last edited:
I think there is outrage, as shown by people talking about this. I overheard a conversation about how the media isn't talking about Cannon because it doesn't fit their agenda. But it's one of the top stories on my google news list. So people are talking about it online, in-person and it's in the media.

I can't necessarily speak towards US coverage but in the UK there are reports on it from the Sun, the Independent and the Daily Star, but there are no reports on the BBC, the Guardian, the Daily Telegraph, or Sky News' websites, which are our four largest media outlets. Most of the discussion, interestingly enough, appears to be about the lack of discussion, as George Floyd's murder and the subsequent riots/protests were headline news on every news channel and every newspaper for days afterwards.

George Floyd's murder was about more than just police brutality, the racial component is what really drove the discussion and the worldwide reaction. The racial component is this murder is not one that BLM or the media at large are interested in, because it's the wrong way around. If the races were reversed, even if there was no evidence of the murder being racially-motivated, BLM would've been all over it, and there undoubtedly would've been comparisons to Emmett Till et al.

A similar occurrence happened with the kidnapping and torture of an autistic white teenager in Chicago in 2017 by four black teenagers. It was eventually picked on up by mainstream media outlets, but only after a huge amount of outrage over the media silence. The kidnappers filmed and live-streamed the incident on Facebook, which was replete with racially-charged language. A live-streaming of four white teenagers kidnapping and torturing an autistic black teenager while repeatedly calling him the n-word would've immediately made headlines worldwide and triggered riots and protests of a similar scale to George Floyd's.

To make you happy? I should bow to your feet and do as you command?
I'm not forcing anyone to say anyone's name. IMVHO it's another stupid SM trend so thanks for trying to stroke your ego again and trying to get some kinda stupid payback by trolling my thread.
Have a good weekend! This bud is for you great orange one!
I've co-opted it from that Matt Walsh tweet shown in the post you "liked." You insist on using that little boy, on killing him over and over again because doing so suits your desires, but you still refuse to say his name.

And nice insult.
It's what you are. You've said so on numerous occasions. I seem to recall you even saying you'd repeat the offense that resulted in your felony conviction. I may be misremembering, to be fair.

Something else you've said on numerous occasions is that the 2016 election is the first time you voted Republican, but I don't believe that's the whole story. Literally nothing you have said on this forum would convince someone you ever voted anything other than Republican with any kind of conviction, so I imagine a few scenarios:

- You previously cast uninformed votes. Even in the event that you voted in line with me, I'd rather you not have voted at all.

- Because you're a felon, you'd only just regained your privilege to vote; revocation of that privilege is common for felony convictions. In this event, you've opted to lie by omission. You wanted to lend some credibility to the astroturfing "WalkAway" campaign by suggesting you were previously Democrat but switched sides. This is deceitful.

- You previously voted Republican. Everything mentioned in the scenario above, beyond revocation of privileges due to felony conviction, applies to this scenario. This is deceitful.

- You lied outright and didn't vote at all. This seems unlikely because your whole thing just oozes Trump. Everything else mentioned in the two scenarios above this also applies. This is deceitful.

Please don't do this, man. I know you're better than this.
I appreciate that, but I'm not. This is the me that I make a genuine effort to suppress (though I do slip on occasion) because this platform is better than that, but it's every bit the real me.

Admittedly, I started to search for a murder to wave at those using this boy and ask what makes him so special. I actually even typed into a search bar, but I backed off.

I don't like that I got as far as I did because I'm definitely better than that, but I'm not better than this.

Last edited:
I think the issue with the "if the races were reversed" statement is that the systemic racism against black people and people of color has made us look at it as "just more crime" and so it gets diminished in the media light.

I'm open to recommendations.

You could try a title that doesn’t already make assumptions.

As far as I have seen, everyone on this site (or at least active in the Opinions section) thinks it was an awful thing that happened to Cannon Hinnant. Everyone thinks that his killer should face swift justice. Because everyone here is human, regardless of political bent.

Your thread title assumes otherwise. Your thread title assumes that a subsection of this site isn’t adequately affected by the sadness and frustration that senseless violence generates. Your thread title makes an incorrect assumption and implies a lower level of morality on the part of some people here.

There are some very real differences in the anger that motivates the ongoing reaction to George Floyd’s death, and the feelings provoked by what happened to Cannon Hinnant. Your thread title waves those differences away and implies immorality in the part of anyone who sees those differences.

If your intent with this thread was to have honest discussion, and I want to believe that UKMikey is right about believing that you do, then your chosen thread title wasn’t a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back