The Witcher (Netflix)TV 

I've been looking into this and it very much appears as if the writing and directing staff weren't anywhere near as passionate about this as Cavill was. So much that they hated the material and had no interest in the books, games, or anything else associated with the IP.

So, congratulations Netflix. You secured an actor that actively took a pay cut for the role as it was a 'dream job' of his, was down to do it until at least season 5 (or something to that effect, I can't find the reference now because the 'net is flooded with this news) because he loves the characters, the world, the property — he was exactly the kind of person you'd want on a project like this because he'd never phone it in. Instead, you hired a staff that did just that.

I don't know how true any of this is and won't take it as gospel, but what I will take as gospel is The Witcher is as good as cancelled.

1667355045018.png

They nailed the aesthetic look of The Witcher 3 and Cavill was in 110%, but the writing was woefully subpar even compared to the games. I don't have a bone to pick with the cast and the race swapping they did with some of the characters, but the show never made me care for what'll happen next. The first season was a disjointed back-and-forth, while the second failed to frame the gravitas of brewing conflicts taking shape.

I think the first episode of the second season was a clear highpoint so far, perhaps because it felt like an actual monster contract from TW3 but filmed. The reveal was very cool and Ciri's handling of the situation was handled correctly. Yet, that's the only time I actually "felt" something with this Netflix dud...

They nailed the aesthetic look of The Witcher 3 and Cavill was in 110%, but the writing was woefully subpar even compared to the games. I don't have a bone to pick with the cast and the race swapping they did with some of the characters, but the show never made me care for what'll happen next. The first season was a disjointed back-and-forth, while the second failed to frame the gravitas of brewing conflicts taking shape.
I'm still part way through the first season, think i'm up to episode 6 ...i only started watching it about 32 months ago!

Whilst i have enjoyed it and think the cast are great, the whole back and forth in time with little explination why and little indication that that's what's happening makes it difficult to follow, hence why i've not raced through it. I think i'll have to re-watch the first season before i start on the second, especially as i've just completed The Witcher III game so i'm a little more familiar with the characters and how their stories intertwine, so it may make more sense second time around.

Henry Cavill is the witcher as far as i'm concerned. A forth season with a Hemsworth as Geralt (no matter how well he pulls it off) will be a reboot in my eyes. You can't replace the main character and expect people to be happy about it.

I'm still part way through the first season, think i'm up to episode 6 ...i only started watching it about 32 months ago!

Whilst i have enjoyed it and think the cast are great, the whole back and forth in time with little explination why and little indication that that's what's happening makes it difficult to follow, hence why i've not raced through it. I think i'll have to re-watch the first season before i start on the second, especially as i've just completed The Witcher III game so i'm a little more familiar with the characters and how their stories intertwine, so it may make more sense second time around.

Henry Cavill is the witcher as far as i'm concerned. A forth season with a Hemsworth as Geralt (no matter how well he pulls it off) will be a reboot in my eyes. You can't replace the main character and expect people to be happy about it.
Watching the show right after finishing the game will be quite the exercise since the show came from people who didn't like the game at all lol. And as for Cavill, the dude proved to be legit plenty of times, so I refuse to watch a season without him even if they actually start giving a damn...

Back