Theory: Even Numbered GT Titles Are The Best

Other than the big amount of duplicates... GT4 has GT3 beat in pretty every other major aspect. The campaign structure, the car physics, the fact we got Nurburgring, Suzuka and Le Mans in it, the amount of unique cars that even without counting the duplicates, was easily over 2x that of GT3, the B-Spec mode that would make your life easier in the endurance races and the grinding, the introduction of photo mode...

Unless you just liked the way the cars handled more in GT3, there's just no way to justify it as being better than GT4. Let's also not forget how ridiculous the rubberband AI was in GT3.
It was still a spectacular game when it came out, among the best GTs in that department, but GT4 smashed it... One thing GT3 was better at than GT4 though, was Rally... The Rally physics in GT4 were really bad.
I dissagre with the highlighted bit. The career structure of GT3 was far better than any other GT that came before or after to date. No other GT game made as good use of every car and track in the game as GT3 did, it should have been a lesson to the rest of the series of how to use the content you include.

GT4 was an improvement in a huge number of ways, but most of those ways relate to content volume. It then becomes a toss up of whether that volume makes it a better game or not. GT7 in contrast is the worst for making use of it's content. GT4 falls well in the middle of the series, it's behind GT1 and GT3, maybe close to GT2 but ahead of GT5, 6 and well ahead of 7 in this regard.

I dissagre with the highlighted bit. The career structure of GT3 was far better than any other GT that came before or after to date. No other GT game made as good use of every car and track in the game as GT3 did, it should have been a lesson to the rest of the series of how to use the content you include.

GT4 was an improvement in a huge number of ways, but most of those ways relate to content volume. It then becomes a toss up of whether that volume makes it a better game or not. GT7 in contrast is the worst for making use of it's content. GT4 falls well in the middle of the series, it's behind GT1 and GT3, maybe close to GT2 but ahead of GT5, 6 and well ahead of 7 in this regard.
I have to give a hard disagree with that. GT1 and GT3 make a lot of use of their content (in this case, cars and tracks) because there's a lot less of it.
This however doesn't mean GT4 doesn't do the same. If anything, it just gives you so much choices that you end up never using much of the content due to how much volume of it there is, that however can never be viewed as a bad thing.

GT4 basically has all of the content GT3 has but... more... It really can't be considered worse.
Aside from the odd car here and there like the Jay Leno Tank Car and the 1hp 1800s Mercs, what other content in GT4 is not propperly used? Basically everything else is, but, like I said, with a ton more choice. The use of the tracks in the game is almost perfect, and now instead of just having the 787B as the sole Group C car in the game, you have like 5 or 6 others to choose from, among other car categories where GT3 simply fell short by comparison.

EDIT: Other than the 100+ duplicates of course... But even with those, there's still 500-600 unique cars of choice and over 95% of them are usable.

Another thing GT3 was better was in its more pratical UI. PD tried to be more creative with GT4, and it did make it pretty and "different", but far less pratical than just having the menus laid out right in front of you.

Last edited:
I have to give a hard disagree with that. GT1 and GT3 make a lot of use of their content (in this case, cars and tracks) because there's a lot less of it.
This however doesn't mean GT4 doesn't do the same. If anything, it just gives you so much choices that you end up never using much of the content due to how much volume of it there is, that however can never be viewed as a bad thing.

Yes, less content makes it easier to use more of it more fully, but that doesn't disprove that GT3 uses it's content far better than GT4. More content doesn't = a better thing by default, too much content with little to no direction can mean a game comes across as a convoluted and confusing mess. That's not to say GT4 is a convoluted and confusing mess, it isn't.

It's very tight between GT3 and GT4 for me, but I 100% enjoyed the structure of GT3 more than that of GT4. My point isn't how much content you use, it's how much content the game makes good use of. There are plenty of cars in GT4 that have no race they are competetive in, there are plenty of cars that are mere duplicates of one another, there are plenty of cars that are only competetive in a single race. It has a lot of content, but it doesn't make great use of a large chunk of it regardless of how much there is in the game it does make use of. GT3 is far better structured in that regard.

GT4 is regarded by most people as the best, I'd probably edge it over GT3 myself as the better game overall, but there are plenty of people who prefer GT3.

GT4 basically has all of the content GT3 has but... more... It really can't be considered worse.

It can, content alone does not a good gameplay experience make. GT7 has plenty of content, but it's absolutely a worse game than GT3 IMO, it has a lot more content though.

Aside from the odd car here and there like the Jay Leno Tank Car and the 1hp 1800s Mercs, what other content in GT4 is not propperly used? Basically everything else is, but, like I said, with a ton more choice.
There are a lot of cars that natively don't perform well in any given race series, IIRC none of the GT300 cars have much use, the touring car spec race cars don't have a use, cars like the Lupo GTi Race Car and Beetle Race Car have no use. There are a lot of cars that are in the game because they could be and not much more.

A lot of the race series have a limited number of halo cars that can enter and are by and large needed to win, else you have to tune cars. Now that's fine, tuning cars to perform better is a key part of Gran Turismo, but GT3 gave most cars a series they were competetive in stock as well as tuned.

A big reason for that is the fact many of the series repeat across the Beginner, Amateur and Profesional levels for example, the Beginner MR series features low powered MR cars, by the time you get to the Professional MR series you're racing high powered performance MR cars. I don't doubt from your posts you prefer GT4, but there are plenty of positives for GT3's career structure over GT4's. I categorically prefer the structure of GT3 to GT4 and I'm not alone, but overall as a game I tend to pickup and replay GT4 more often.

The use of the tracks in the game is almost perfect, and now instead of just having the 787B as the sole Group C car in the game, you have like 5 or 6 others to choose from, among other car categories where GT3 simply fell short by comparison.

EDIT: Other than the 100+ duplicates of course... But even with those, there's still 500-600 unique cars of choice and over 95% of them are usable.

GT4 nails the track list, it's arguably the best in the series. I'm not knocking GT4 by the way, it's arguably my favourite Gran Turismo, I'm just knocking the notion that GT4 is better than GT3 in every way and therefore the suggestion that no one should prefer GT3 by extention.

Last edited:
On release GT2 got absolutely murdered for its graphics. PD went on to say that they sacrificed some in the graphics to bring us better physics and content.
GT1 had the hi res mode even if it was pretty limited.
Both games got slammed later on for their physics, with GT2 taking the brunt of it primarily due to how easy it was to spin out under even light braking.
IMHO, GT1 was about right for content. It had license tests that took a minute to pass but a lifetime to master (IA-6!). It had only one car that seemed unreachable at the time, but once you had it, you could use the Dodge Concept Car to white knuckle your way through the final stages of the game. GT1had three endurance races that seemed kinda like boss levels. Overall it's still a decent game. GT2, on the other hand, has not aged well at all.
3 is my favorite despite the control issues. Around that time the manumatic transmissions started showing up in real life and stick/clutch was going away. One could recalibrate the brakes or wire in a battery to fix them in the Driving Force wheel.
4 is close behind that, bug fixes were implemented and the game still looks great, but the penalties are a pain in the neck. Fail a driving mission when someone sideswipes you?? Wait 142 seconds to start a 1 Lap Magic?? BS!!
From what I've seen of GT Mobile and Tourist Trophy, I expect them to be engaging though a bit different. The lack of tuning in Mobile and the lack of money in TT kinda pushed me away from the series til I saw GT7 had a Collector's Edition. The jury is still out on it, but I am finding that unlike some other entries this game is all doable.

On release GT2 got absolutely murdered for its graphics. PD went on to say that they sacrificed some in the graphics to bring us better physics and content.
GT1 had the hi res mode even if it was pretty limited.
Both games got slammed later on for their physics, with GT2 taking the brunt of it primarily due to how easy it was to spin out under even light braking.
IMHO, GT1 was about right for content. It had license tests that took a minute to pass but a lifetime to master (IA-6!). It had only one car that seemed unreachable at the time, but once you had it, you could use the Dodge Concept Car to white knuckle your way through the final stages of the game. GT1had three endurance races that seemed kinda like boss levels. Overall it's still a decent game. GT2, on the other hand, has not aged well at all.
3 is my favorite despite the control issues. Around that time the manumatic transmissions started showing up in real life and stick/clutch was going away. One could recalibrate the brakes or wire in a battery to fix them in the Driving Force wheel.
4 is close behind that, bug fixes were implemented and the game still looks great, but the penalties are a pain in the neck. Fail a driving mission when someone sideswipes you?? Wait 142 seconds to start a 1 Lap Magic?? BS!!
From what I've seen of GT Mobile and Tourist Trophy, I expect them to be engaging though a bit different. The lack of tuning in Mobile and the lack of money in TT kinda pushed me away from the series til I saw GT7 had a Collector's Edition. The jury is still out on it, but I am finding that unlike some other entries this game is all doable.

I never played Mobile, but as a motorcyclist I went through absolutely everything on TT - and the time I spent doing that is probably why I never quite finished GT4. I'd love to see another TT game from PD but I doubt it will happen. I might go back and do more with 4 once I'm totally burned out on 7.

There's things I like and things I dislike about all of the GT series - but to me it still seems like the even numbered releases have tended to be better. I'll agree that some things were better in 3 than 4, but I still feel that overall 4 was the better game. And if you say there are things that were better in 5 than 6, you're not wrong.

There's a big part of me that misses the progression and the overall feel of the previous releases - 2, 3, and 4 in particular. I miss actual 4 and 6 and 24 hour endurance races with good ol' 1x fuel and tire usage. I miss 500 mile oval track races. I miss Pikes Peak! I really miss being able to sell excess prize cars and whatever dumb sedan I had to buy for some silly manufacturer's cup (or Menu Book).

I see nothing wrong with the "car collector" part of 7, I love being able to collect and customize all those cars! And online competition is cool (when it works properly and is worth doing). But I feel like the last time it was really about the driving, and any sort of progressive game play, was 6.

So here's to hoping 8 will be a true return to form in a few years time.

Also, bring back the RS200.

Having not read the other replies, I will say it's likely because the even numbered releases were the 2nd release on each console, therefore they took what they had from the 1st release and were able to expand upon it and make several improvements.

Last edited:
Back