Thinking about switching to iRacing

• Thread starter Senzsation
  • 13 comments
United Kingdom
Swansea, Wales
Senzsation
Hi all,

Recently bought a Playseat and Thrustmaster T300. I've tried a few games on my PS4 with it including GT Sport and DiRT (much, much quicker with a wheel) but I'm not really enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

I've been debating buying a gaming PC and making the switch to iRacing - is it worth it from console ownership? I've got a fair amount of experience on RFactor 2 so playing properly realistic sims isn't new to me - for anyone interested I used to visit here a lot when I lived near Banbury - https://www.simplyrace.co.uk

I've been really enjoying watching virtual VLN and the other motorsports that are taking advantage of iRacing right now and it looks like something cool to be a part of but will the reality match up to the expectation? And of course will it justify the cost of a PC and a subscription.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi all,

Recently bought a Playseat and Thrustmaster T300. I've tried a few games on my PS4 with it including GT Sport and DiRT (much, much quicker with a wheel) but I'm not really enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

I've been debating buying a gaming PC and making the switch to iRacing - is it worth it from console ownership? I've got a fair amount of experience on RFactor 2 so playing properly realistic sims isn't new to me - for anyone interested I used to visit here a lot when I lived near Banbury - https://www.simplyrace.co.uk

I've been really enjoying watching virtual VLN and the other motorsports that are taking advantage of iRacing right now and it looks like something cool to be a part of but will the reality match up to the expectation? And of course will it justify the cost of a PC and a subscription.

Thanks for any advice.

Can I ask what it is that you don't like about GT Sport?

Yes, iRacing is immensely better than GT Sport. It's also a lot more challenging. The competition is much fiercer. I also feel like the matchmaking is far superior. Keep in mind, it's the sim that professional racers use as well.

Reason I asked why you didn't like GTS is so I can see if it's worth your time and money to switch. PCs aren't cheap and neither iRacing.

There's a few things I don't like about it. Not wanting to sound negative because it has plenty of redeeming features but still.

The online lobbies are poorly organised. The penalty system is pretty awful. The standard of driving in most lobbies is shocking. And ultimately the physics are good but they aren't anywhere near actual realism.

There's a few things I don't like about it. Not wanting to sound negative because it has plenty of redeeming features but still.

The online lobbies are poorly organised. The penalty system is pretty awful. The standard of driving in most lobbies is shocking. And ultimately the physics are good but they aren't anywhere near actual realism.

Pretty much all of the reasons myself and others switched. I haven't regretted making the switch. Just understand that you have to get through the mess of rookies. Then things get better. One of the great things about iracing... If someone is intentionally wrecking people, they get suspended or even banned. So, in general, people are much more respectful too. Also, there is open practice. You actually practice in lobbies with others, just like real life. So, in general, people are much more used to being on track with others vs GTS. The penalty system is better. It's a no fault system. So, all involved are penalized. But, it's not insane like GTS.

That sounds like something that'd suit me far better. I've read up on the process and having to slog through the beginner lobbies first. How long does that take?

That sounds like something that'd suit me far better. I've read up on the process and having to slog through the beginner lobbies first. How long does that take?

Not long at all. It is based on your safety rating. The key is to complete races with as few incidents as possible. Incidents are off tracks and contact. When you first get on the service, go into a test lobby. You will be solo. Drop your tires off the track and even hit a wall at some point. That way you can see how the incident points work. In a race you get 17 points and then you get DQ. Its not hard to get through rookies. 1 contact and say 2 or 3 offs a race... maybe 5 or 6 races and you will promote. I'm sure that I am exaggerating some. But, it doesn't take long

I'd manage that no problem, thanks. I know I'd be new to the game but I'm not new to sim racing.

No problem. Hopefully you enjoy it.

BTW, don't get freaked out by the limited choices in rookie. They open up with each license class. Each series stays on one track for a week and then switches tracks. So you get plenty of time to practice.

Hi all,

Thanks for any advice.

There is a $5 promotion code PRHotlaps you can use.

I would suggest you find someone with a iRacing rig and check it out first, it's a expensive game when you have to start from fresh, it is even expensive if you have the PC and the Wheel, tracks costs from 11,95 to 14,95, cars are 11,95 and the starter pack is not filled with dream cars or tracks, and you have to pay a monthly subscription.

Finally, the game is really about hardcore racing, steep learning curve, graphics are primitive compared to anything modern and you really have to be into the fine details of racing (which you seem to be, so) to get the most of it.

Hi all,

Long time reader first time poster. Rather than start a new post I thought I would follow on from this one.

I am based in Australia and been playing project cars 2 on ps4. I am continually getting frustrated with drop outs and people deliberately taken out of races and want something more serious.

I currently don’t own a pc, but before lashing out I would like to try and see if it is for me. Does anyone know of anywhere in Melbourne I could try or any place I could hire a pc for a few weeks?

Hi all,

Long time reader first time poster. Rather than start a new post I thought I would follow on from this one.

I am based in Australia and been playing project cars 2 on ps4. I am continually getting frustrated with drop outs and people deliberately taken out of races and want something more serious.

I currently don’t own a pc, but before lashing out I would like to try and see if it is for me. Does anyone know of anywhere in Melbourne I could try or any place I could hire a pc for a few weeks?

Unfortunately even if you can find a way to try it, you’d still have to work your way through your rookie season before you would get a chance to know if it was for you.
If you do end up buying a PC and giving it a shot, you’ll end up coming out way ahead whether you like iRacing or not.
I recently made the jump from Xbox to PC and it makes an incredible difference: new sims, new hardware, new software tools, mods, customization, VR, etc.

Hi all,

I can't help you with finding a way to give it a test run.

However, I can agree with Jamman that moving to PC for sim racing is much better. Even if iRacing doesn't work out. There are several different options for sim racing on PC. Definitely more than PS4 or Xbox. Probably more than both together honestly. I even tried Rfactor for free on steam the other day.

Back