Thinking of switching to AC (from GT)

• Thread starter kelrick85
  • 70 comments
Canada
Ottawa, ON
kelrick85
Hi all,

I've been playing Gran Turismo 6 for PS3. It's pretty much the only game I play, and with the new games coming out for PS4, I have a choice of buying a PS4 (which means I will have to buy a new wheel, since G27 will likely not be supported), or buying a PC and get Assetto Corsa (G27 should work with this set up). I think either options will be about the same amount of money I will have to spend.

I don't like having multiple games and flip flopping between them, I'd rather stick to one game. So If I go with Assetto Corsa, I will likely ditch Gran Turismo all together.

The only thing I really care about is endurance racing (off-line with AI is fine) at Nurburgring (N24 or VLN circuit). Something that GT6 lacks (GT5 had one, not sure why they decided to scrap it).

I've heard great things about Assetto Corsa's physics engine. From what I read, AC's negative is its graphics, but I don't care too much - what I saw in videos looks fine to me. So I'm thinking of switching to AC. My question is - how is endurance racing on AC? Ideally I want to have 2-4 hour endurance racing, with maybe 30-40 cars around the ring (online or offline). AC already has cars I would want to drive (M235i, or the M3 GT2), so smaller car inventory doesn't bother me either.

Any other big differences between AC and GT? I've also read a few things about pCars, but seems like AC is generally superior to pCars.

If I had a week, I wouldn't have enough time to tell you all the reasons why Assetto Corsa PC is superior to Gran Turismo...
Exactly my expectation from posting in this thread.

What about in terms of endurance racing - Is there a limit of number of cars on the grid? Realistic mechanical damange/tire wear and fuel consumption - weather, time change?

tmp_9369-Glorious-PC-Master-Race-187892092.gif

Exactly my expectation from posting in this thread.

What about in terms of endurance racing - Is there a limit of number of cars on the grid? Realistic mechanical damange/tire wear and fuel consumption - weather, time change?
There is a limit, I think the limit is around 40 tho mechanical damage is OK. its not the best, but it'll do tire wear and fuel consumption are spot-on. Wheather and time change, I really have no idea, haven't played around with that yet...

I've heard great things about Assetto Corsa's physics engine. From what I read, AC's negative is its graphics
Honestly, I love the graphics of Assetto Corsa and I think they are actually nicer than Project Cars in a lot of areas (with my GTX 780 at least)
How is endurance racing on AC? Ideally I want to have 2-4 hour endurance racing, with maybe 30-40 cars around the ring (online or offline). AC already has cars I would want to drive (M235i, or the M3 GT2), so smaller car inventory doesn't bother me either.
Will you be doing your racing online or offline? I don't think pit stops are working in solo race weekend yet but that may have changed.
Any other big differences between AC and GT? I've also read a few things about pCars, but seems like AC is generally superior to pCars.
I have both (which I'm sure you will eventually, too) and both have their pros and cons, like the massive high quality track selection on Project Cars - I love Bathurst - but I always come back to Assetto Corsa for the driving experience, it's just so good.

Both are far better than GT6, though.

Hi all,

I've been playing Gran Turismo 6 for PS3. It's pretty much the only game I play, and with the new games coming out for PS4, I have a choice of buying a PS4 (which means I will have to buy a new wheel, since G27 will likely not be supported), or buying a PC and get Assetto Corsa (G27 should work with this set up). I think either options will be about the same amount of money I will have to spend.

I don't like having multiple games and flip flopping between them, I'd rather stick to one game. So If I go with Assetto Corsa, I will likely ditch Gran Turismo all together.

The only thing I really care about is endurance racing (off-line with AI is fine) at Nurburgring (N24 or VLN circuit). Something that GT6 lacks (GT5 had one, not sure why they decided to scrap it).

I've heard great things about Assetto Corsa's physics engine. From what I read, AC's negative is its graphics, but I don't care too much - what I saw in videos looks fine to me. So I'm thinking of switching to AC. My question is - how is endurance racing on AC? Ideally I want to have 2-4 hour endurance racing, with maybe 30-40 cars around the ring (online or offline). AC already has cars I would want to drive (M235i, or the M3 GT2), so smaller car inventory doesn't bother me either.

Ottawa hey? small world!
The short answer is yes, but I guess you already know that.
About your comment on sticking to one game, once you start with AC, assuming you have a decent PC and setup( wheel properly mounted close to a good size screen or better screens) you will wonder how you have been able to use GT5/6 ar all. Welcome home Kelrick.:cheers:

Will you be doing your racing online or offline? I don't think pit stops are working in solo race weekend yet but that may have changed.
I think I will do mostly offline, with some online races if there is a good series going on. I haven't searched, but I guess GTP isn't the best place to look for a good racing event?

Both are far better than GT6, though.
This seems to be the general consensus. I have no idea what GT7 is going to be like, but I'm sure it will be disappointing.

Can you give me a pointer for the computer to buy? Do I get the "gaming" computer or just a normal tower computer? Or do you generally build your own? I want the spec to be at least the recommended spec. What do you suggest? Ideally I want to spend $500, but I don't know if all I would get at the price is crap.

Ottawa hey? small world!
The short answer is yes, but I guess you already know that.
About your comment on sticking to one game, once you start with AC, assuming you have a decent PC and setup( wheel properly mounted close to a good size screen or better screens) you will wonder how you have been able to use GT5/6 ar all. Welcome home Kelrick.:cheers:
Ha, indeed a small world!

Yea, I have G27 wheel that I'm planning on using. My point against getting PS4 was that I would have to buy a new wheel compatible with PS4, and driving sim game would be the only game I would be playing on PS4 anyway...

Anyway, since you are also from Ottawa, can I ask where you got your computer and the spec? If you built it yourself, where did you get the components? I've never built one myself, but I would be interested in challenging myself for that

Anyway, since you are also from Ottawa, can I ask where you got your computer and the spec? If you built it yourself, where did you get the components? I've never built one myself, but I would be interested in challenging myself for that

You can see my PC spec in my signature, but it is not much of a PC, it is old, good enough for me, but not what you should get if getting something new now.
@Johnnypenso put one together recently, he is also from Canada and I am sure he has a very good set up.
The only thing that my set up prove is that you do not need a monster PC to appreciate AC, but if you are into a lot a cars on the grid, kind of nice for endurance races, then you will need a lot more firepower than my old thing.

Best way to found out really is to try it to be honest. You will hear mostly positive things because it although still a work in progress is a fundamentally great racing game/sim. I bought it on steam in a sale being sceptical at first. 7 months down the line and I never play Gran Turismo now thanks to AC. It just feels like a step down in every department including graphics providing you have a computer that can run it on med-high settings. Only downside I can really think of at the moment is the lack of tracks/cars, however each official track is laser scanned with incredible detail, and each car has been worked on and feels authentic. Quality>quantity in this case.

Best way to found out really is to try it to be honest. You will hear mostly positive things because it although still a work in progress is a fundamentally great racing game/sim. I bought it on steam in a sale being sceptical at first. 7 months down the line and I never play Gran Turismo now thanks to AC. It just feels like a step down in every department including graphics providing you have a computer that can run it on med-high settings. Only downside I can really think of at the moment is the lack of tracks/cars, however each official track is laser scanned with incredible detail, and each car has been worked on and feels authentic. Quality>quantity in this case.

You will find that their is less track only if you elect to limit yourself to original Kunos track, which is a shame because the modding community has really stepped up and provide a lot of very good tracks.
Donington GP, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve or Paul Ricard are shining example of the outstanding track contribution from the mod community.

You will find that their is less track only if you elect to limit yourself to original Kunos track, which is a shame because the modding community has really stepped up and provide a lot of very good tracks.
Donington GP, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve or Paul Ricard are shining example of the outstanding track contribution from the mod community.
Well yes there are some amazing mods out there, the Honda NSX being one of my favourite. Some track mods leave a lot to be desired. It's great that the developers acknowledge the modding community and offer support. Going back to OP, if you have the money to spend build yourself a decent gaming rig and buy AC for PC, I can't judge how the PS4 version will be but I'd say PC is the way to go.

Can you give me a pointer for the computer to buy? Do I get the "gaming" computer or just a normal tower computer? Or do you generally build your own? I want the spec to be at least the recommended spec. What do you suggest? Ideally I want to spend $500, but I don't know if all I would get at the price is crap.

You can see my PC spec in my signature, but it is not much of a PC, it is old, good enough for me, but not what you should get if getting something new now.
@Johnnypenso put one together recently, he is also from Canada and I am sure he has a very good set up.
The only thing that my set up prove is that you do not need a monster PC to appreciate AC, but if you are into a lot a cars on the grid, kind of nice for endurance races, then you will need a lot more firepower than my old thing.
I had mine built. I was going to build it myself but I found a small local shop that came highly recommended and so long as I bought all the parts through him, he put it together for about $100 and his parts prices matched anything I could find online and a couple he found even cheaper than what I had. I don't think you'll be happy with a $500 pc though, if that's your budget you'd be better off going to PS4 unless you can find something used.

IMO the minimum you should be working with in a brand new pc is an i5-4690 and a GTX960, preferably a GTX970. The 960 will let you play all games on medium to high settings with traffic, and very high to ultra when running solo if you prefer. The 970 will let you run everything on high/ultra with traffic and pretty much everything on ultra when running solo. Yes you can get by with less, but for $500 you'll be running on low-med solo and will run into frame rate issues with weather and full grids. You should be able to put together an i5+960 build for $700-800 last time I checked. A 970 build which increases your performance by 50% is only a little over $100 more so well worth it if you can afford it.

Keep in mind, the bottleneck in most systems is the videocard. Get the best videocard you can afford (I'd stick with NVidia) and build the rest around it. If you save $30 on a motherboard, your game will look the same, but you might lose some features. If you cut $30 out of your videocard budget, you will lose rendering performance guaranteed. I used PCPartsPicker Canada (select the Canadian flag top right) to put combinations together. Here's a premade example for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=buildguideMh32FT

upload_2015-6-10_19-16-8.png

This bundle even includes an SSD, which really cuts loading times, but isn't necessary for gaming. Games run exactly the same on a traditional hard drive, but the reduced loading times on an SSD are sweet. Dropping the SSD you could save at least $120 I would guess. Again it's just an example, but it's put together by NewEgg, and comes with an instructional video and guide if you want to put it together yourself.

Barbagallo is another excellent mod track, and there are some excellent mod cars out as well like the 787B. I'm very fussy with mods I run in Assetto Corsa - they generally have to be able to pass for original content for me to keep them. There are a ton of crap mods out there and I don't want such an awesome sim to be let down by inferior tracks or cars that haven't had the proper testing to ensure the highest accuracy possible.

Definitely build your own PC, it's dead easy, more cost effective and actually bloody fun and rewarding to do so. The latest i5 + Nvidia GTX 970 is a great combo for gaming and very popular. I have the higher model card but one generation back (GTX780) so it probably has about the same performance, maybe even less and I'm running triple 1080p screens at settings that still manage to make the game look very good.

Plenty of info in the Hardware section, including my build thread (also link in my sig).

Thanks for some great advice guys! Much appreciated!

Will look into building a PC soon, but first have to get some funds together, meaning getting a job first :crazy::banghead:

So it looks like the minimum I have to pay is $1000 for a decent set up.

Is GeForce GTX970 still recommended if I don't plan on using tri-monitor set up? I assume that will cut a lot of graphics power, right? For instance would GTX 780 work if I plan on using only one? I'll probably still end up getting the better one, just curious...

Well im using a 960 and im getting very stron fps from 80 to + on ultra settings online with 24 players on nurb, example

The thing with graphics cards is, is that there is always something better. For instance even if you splash out on a 980ti, you can better it by throwing in 2 of them. It depends on the level in which you want to play at. For instance, my GTX 780 is driving 3 screens just fine with some settings lowered, even with a full grid and weather. Sure if I had a 980ti I could probably bump everything up to ultra settings and still get smooth performance, but is the ability to see crystal clear grass worth the added cost? Only you can answer that question.

Future proofing isn't a bad idea either. I didn't think I'd go with triple screens. Got the bug though and here we are. Games are only going to get more resource hungry, too.

I probably will buy a better card, but at their current price I won't bother until maybe the next generation - another plus of buying a higher end card when I did was it's not totally vital to upgrade every generation as I have enough power to see me through on lowered settings, even with my triple screens.

Food for thought, but in my opinion in a gaming rig you want to throw as much as you can comfortably afford on the graphics card.

Hi all,

PC has better graphics then PS4 and probably don't have to flip flop around discs so you could start playing other games like I racing , pCARS and Assetto Corsa which has the best graphics that I've seen

I switched from GT6 to PC based racing and concentrated on AC.

I did it primarily because I didn't like my simulation hardware being determined by Sony or Microsoft.

Now that I made the switch I discovered other important benefits to PC based race simulations.

1) The graphics are much superior. I can run a 28" 4K 60hz monitor full out, simply not possible on a PS4. If you are willing to spend the money you can go to very high resolution triple screens.
2) Tactile is much superior through SimVibe/Sim Commander
3) Tons of other add ons are available to meet your desires including utilities, cars and tracks. The costs are zero or minimal but they do require a fair amount of computer savvy and willingness to experiment to get them working.

For what you want to do AC is ideal. It's limitations are really in "game play" and not in "simulation". The simulation with AC physics, graphics and FFB blows away GT6.

So it looks like the minimum I have to pay is $1000 for a decent set up.

Is GeForce GTX970 still recommended if I don't plan on using tri-monitor set up? I assume that will cut a lot of graphics power, right? For instance would GTX 780 work if I plan on using only one? I'll probably still end up getting the better one, just curious...
If you are only planning on running a single 1080p monitor, then arguably a GTX 970 or 780 are both overkill.

IMO the minimum you should be working with in a brand new pc is an i5-4690 and a GTX960, preferably a GTX970. The 960 will let you play all games on medium to high settings with traffic, and very high to ultra when running solo if you prefer. The 970 will let you run everything on high/ultra with traffic and pretty much everything on ultra when running solo. Yes you can get by with less, but for $500 you'll be running on low-med solo and will run into frame rate issues with weather and full grids. You should be able to put together an i5+960 build for $700-800 last time I checked. A 970 build which increases your performance by 50% is only a little over $100 more so well worth it if you can afford it.
i5 + GTX960 here and i can play AC on high/ultra (not medium) ;)

I switched from GT6 to PC based racing and concentrated on AC.

I did it primarily because I didn't like my simulation hardware being determined by Sony or Microsoft.

Now that I made the switch I discovered other important benefits to PC based race simulations.

1) The graphics are much superior. I can run a 28" 4K 60hz monitor full out, simply not possible on a PS4. If you are willing to spend the money you can go to very high resolution triple screens.
2) Tactile is much superior through SimVibe/Sim Commander
3) Tons of other add ons are available to meet your desires including utilities, cars and tracks. The costs are zero or minimal but they do require a fair amount of computer savvy and willingness to experiment to get them working.

For what you want to do AC is ideal. It's limitations are really in "game play" and not in "simulation". The simulation with AC physics, graphics and FFB blows away GT6.

what frame rates do you get at 4k? I have a simple 670@1300mhz and still get bad frame rates when there is a full grid @1920x1200 or 1920x1080 but then after the start procedure it works as a charm but to be sure it never dips below 60 fps @ medium/high setting. Gonna buy a new card when the prices stabilizes after AMD Fury is released but for now the good old 670 will have to do :D

Oh yeah, ac physics are not that great :P

The thing with graphics cards is, is that there is always something better. For instance even if you splash out on a 980ti, you can better it by throwing in 2 of them. It depends on the level in which you want to play at. For instance, my GTX 780 is driving 3 screens just fine with some settings lowered, even with a full grid and weather. Sure if I had a 980ti I could probably bump everything up to ultra settings and still get smooth performance, but is the ability to see crystal clear grass worth the added cost? Only you can answer that question.

Future proofing isn't a bad idea either. I didn't think I'd go with triple screens. Got the bug though and here we are. Games are only going to get more resource hungry, too.

I probably will buy a better card, but at their current price I won't bother until maybe the next generation - another plus of buying a higher end card when I did was it's not totally vital to upgrade every generation as I have enough power to see me through on lowered settings, even with my triple screens.

Food for thought, but in my opinion in a gaming rig you want to throw as much as you can comfortably afford on the graphics card.

But there are people that are sensitive to stuttering/micro stuttering/uneven frame time rendering so even if you ad a second card it does not mean that the fluidity of the games improves even if you see a three digit fps number in your corner of the monitor.

And you should not think that because someone have purchased a top of the line card means that it will be future proof. You have to see the trend, like that even a 980ti/Titan X can not manage 60 fps at 4k. Its about at 40fps and in a fast paced game this is not enough, and those cards are expensive so if they cant produce good fps now, think how they will do in one or two years from now. Money wasted.. so think just about what you want form a gfx card right now cus it will be as bad as a cheaper 970/980 in a year or two..

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the input!

One last thing is about networking. I plan to have the PC in the basement while the router sits upstairs in the house. I prefer not to put holes in the wall to get the cable downstairs, and I know wireless and gaming don't mix well.

Is it still possible to play AC with wireless card? (PCI-e card, not the USB adapter). What would be the recommended rating/speed to get?

Thanks guys for all the input!

One last thing is about networking. I plan to have the PC in the basement while the router sits upstairs in the house. I prefer not to put holes in the wall to get the cable downstairs, and I know wireless and gaming don't mix well.

Is it still possible to play AC with wireless card? (PCI-e card, not the USB adapter). What would be the recommended rating/speed to get?

Its never a good idea to play wireless in multiplayer. Even if the lag is something YOU can live with think of the others in the room with you. There is nothing worse than getting ready to start a online race and the guy beside or right in front of you starts blinking. You just know hes going to disappear and then reappear right in front of you.

Its never a good idea to play wireless in multiplayer. Even if the lag is something YOU can live with think of the others in the room with you. There is nothing worse than getting ready to start a online race and the guy beside or right in front of you starts blinking. You just know hes going to disappear and then reappear right in front of you.
Well, wired connection is ideal, and I would always pick that over wireless, obviously. The only thing is it is pain to run the wire to the basement.

I've been using wireless on PS3 when I'm playing GT6, and I will probably use wireless on PS4, as many others will do. I have a decent internet provider, and I haven't had problems with lags on GT6. So I'm thinking there has to be a wireless option when playing on PC. Or am I missing something here? Is there a fundamental difference in console wireless receiver and PC wireless receiver?

Well, wired connection is ideal, and I would always pick that over wireless, obviously. The only thing is it is pain to run the wire to the basement.

I've been using wireless on PS3 when I'm playing GT6, and I will probably use wireless on PS4, as many others will do. I have a decent internet provider, and I haven't had problems with lags on GT6. So I'm thinking there has to be a wireless option when playing on PC. Or am I missing something here? Is there a fundamental difference in console wireless receiver and PC wireless receiver?
No.

If you have any spare sockets it could be worth it to look in to a homeplug ethernet kit. You get two adapters, plug one in to a socket near the router and then an ethernet cable from the adapter to the router, and then the other adapter in the basement with the ethernet cable plugged in to your PC.

I've been using these for a few years now for my PC and Xbox One and have never had issues with lag or disconnection.

If you have any spare sockets it could be worth it to look in to a homeplug ethernet kit. You get two adapters, plug one in to a socket near the router and then an ethernet cable from the adapter to the router, and then the other adapter in the basement with the ethernet cable plugged in to your PC.

I've been using these for a few years now for my PC and Xbox One and have never had issues with lag or disconnection.
Hmm, interesting. Since my house is old, I don't have ground in all rooms, so I'm going to have to reconfigure my office. I will look into it though.

On not so unrelated topic, AC is coming to PS4. Is it going to be more or less the same as PC version, or is it impossible to replicate the PC game in PS4? I guess only time will tell about the details

Back