This game is MOCKING me.

• Thread starter Jidery
  • 42 comments
Well guys, i want to unlock the top gear test track, so i decided i better get to golding the first challenge so I can unlock it. At first i thought it was going to be easy, as i don't have a hard time getting to 5th, but then it gets much harder. After trying for almost 3 hours, i thought i had it. I thought I was going to gold it, then this happened.

I took ABS and TC off, well everything off really and still couldn't do it. Went to have a change on the Lotus and then come back to it. The Lotus one done my head in even more so I turned the game off. Shocking challenge!

Just do something else, that's what I did.
This challenge has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Top Gear, aside from the track, so vote with your feet. Or wheels, if you will.

I took ABS and TC off, well everything off really and still couldn't do it. Went to have a change on the Lotus and then come back to it. The Lotus one done my head in even more so I turned the game off. Shocking challenge!

lol I'm level 27 and have yet to do the Lotus challenge. It's just over the top! Is it even physically possible to induce a drift at 35 miles and hour??

lol I'm level 27 and have yet to do the Lotus challenge. It's just over the top! Is it even physically possible to induce a drift at 35 miles and hour??

I don't think it is no! It's madness. You go over the brow of the hill don't even turn or brake and the car is all over the place! It's like driving on sheet ice! There's loads of times in the game when cars do mad things! GT games have always done it. I had a car the other day I went off I was driving back on to the track and the car span, two full 360s! I couldn't have been going more than 20mph! Crap!

I don't think it is no! It's madness. You go over the brow of the hill don't even turn or brake and the car is all over the place! It's like driving on sheet ice! There's loads of times in the game when cars do mad things! GT games have always done it. I had a car the other day I went off I was driving back on to the track and the car span, two full 360s! I couldn't have been going more than 20mph! Crap!

It have less to do with the car and much, much more to do with the comfort hards it's equipped with.

No car would slide like that; even on comfort hards. It loses traction going at 35mph in a nearly straight line! Doesn't happen I'm afraid!

The two challenges mirror each other

Sambabus: turn aids off, hardly need to brake, keep throttle down and throw the bus around.
Lotus: keep most aids on, brake only on straights, keep the car steady as possible without drifting.

Yeah man this one was a tough one for me as well.I nearly said enough is enough,but then i decided to turn my ABS to 10 and on my next attempt i beat it with ease.

Trail braking helps a lot with the Lotus's. With those tires, they are VERY sensitive to letting off the gas completely. I found I could gold it by never letting the gas completely off and being super gentle on the brakes unless in a dead straight line.

For the bus I found the key was to break late, draft when possible, and learn just how much contact you can make before disqualifying. You can make some, and combined with a late break and sliding sideways into the side of another van, I was able to come out in 1st on the 3last last turn on the last lap.

For the lotus, its a frigging nightmare. Controlling your slide and knowing when you can afford not to brake. The final 2 turns is where you make up the most of your overtaking.

Im not a good racer. Im 29/29 and I almost always use a greatly overpowered car to win. But I was able to beat all 3 top gear races after running them for no more then 2 hours. If I can do it, anyone can.

If you can gold the Lotus challenge, you might not HAVE to go for that overpowered car so much, anymore! Try adding upgrades slowly, one at a time until you are getting maybe second or third, then just concentrate on good lines and clean driving...

That's a LOT more fun than beating the AI by a lap or two!

If you can gold the Lotus challenge, you might not HAVE to go for that overpowered car so much, anymore! Try adding upgrades slowly, one at a time until you are getting maybe second or third, then just concentrate on good lines and clean driving...

That's a LOT more fun than beating the AI by a lap or two!

I'm pretty sure most people can beat AI with a stock car.
Plus there's others who can still lap them cause the AIs brake unnecessarily.

Thats weird, I didn't find the lotus challenge very difficult, you just have to be as smooth as possible with your steering inputs, and be gentle on the throttle out of the corners.:)

As for the Sambabus challenge, well, patience is key. Take a break every half hour and go do a race you enjoy, then come back. It took me a few weeks to beat it, but when i finally did the sense of acheivment was huge!:D

in the sambabus i crashed alot into the AI... its what drove me mad!!! it probably took me a good 20 attempts before i was able to actually finish it without being disqualified. definetely leave it for a day or two then go back. it helped me with the lotus; tried it for like 30minutes then when i went back later i golded in less than 5 tries. its also what i did for the license tests when i was less than 0.01seconds from gold. moved on to the next test then when back after finishing all ten and i would gold a silver test by a lot. and for whatever reason it would feel so easy like i didnt even try or do anything different but somehow i would kill it.

I was really struggling with the samba bus. After learning that the abs was linked to the asm and slowed you a lot I switched it off. Golded it very easily with it off, took first by the 2nd corner of lap 2. The same applies to the expert nascar challenges. ABS
Off makes a world of difference.

Well guys, i want to unlock the top gear test track, so i decided i better get to golding the first challenge so I can unlock it. At first i thought it was going to be easy, as i don't have a hard time getting to 5th, but then it gets much harder. After trying for almost 3 hours, i thought i had it. I thought I was going to gold it, then this happened.

Dont Give up
it took me a month before i finally pass that school bus challenge:)

The only difficult part of these challenges i found was not ramming other cars because of the crazy late breaking you are forced to do to win, as soon as the congestion on the back of the pack is gone they are cake, even the lotus one.

Once you reach the top speed lift off so the car doesn't bounce off the rev limiter. This gives you a huge advantage over the AI. You need to look in your mirrors in the turns as the AI will PIT you if you don't move out of their way.

P.Visser was close to getting the "Within One Hundredth" trophy.

Who T F is P. Visser? Is that the name of a B-Spec driver? The within one hundredth is a pain but doing it in the Indy 500 with a FGT made it easier for me. Don't expect to win the race, you can exit out right after you get the trophy, but the way I did it was just drive your car to the point just before the start/finish line and then wait for the lead car to come by and just as he is pulling up beside you, just roll yourself across the line. It took me a few (like 10) tries but that is the best way I could think of to get this trophy besides hoping that at some point during A-spec races you get lucky and beat another car by one hundredth of a second (that could take forever)

If anyone has a better way and or something to improve my way then please share :)

Who T F is P. Visser? Is that the name of a B-Spec driver? The within one hundredth is a pain but doing it in the Indy 500 with a FGT made it easier for me. Don't expect to win the race, you can exit out right after you get the trophy, but the way I did it was just drive your car to the point just before the start/finish line and then wait for the lead car to come by and just as he is pulling up beside you, just roll yourself across the line. It took me a few (like 10) tries but that is the best way I could think of to get this trophy besides hoping that at some point during A-spec races you get lucky and beat another car by one hundredth of a second (that could take forever)

If anyone has a better way and or something to improve my way then please share :)

It is the first place finisher in the screenshot that the OP posted.

There are lots of other threads about the Top Gear challenges....
The busses is all about momentum. Not scraping the other vans whatsoever is key.
The Lotuses is all about stability and braking. On the DFGT you can set the front brake bias up on the fly using the red wheel just after the start, it makes braking a lot more stable, lets you brake later, and makes it very doable. I took the lead on the second corner of lap two on my gold run.

Back