This game is MOCKING me.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jidery
  • 42 comments
  • 3,239 views
Another thing worth a mention is that it's way easier with MT. I use a DFW so generally drive AT as I'm all fingers and thumbs with manual, but switching to MT for this event got me the gold quite easily.
 
^ I actually found the opposite to be true.

I always run in MT using an H shift and even with no 'bad' gear changes I still found that my time increased using AT in the Samba Bus challenge.

The bus barely ever needs you to touch it's brake. Draft like crazy. ABS off. Maintain traction and keep up your speed.

It's annoying that to have the TG test track you have to go through this but it's totally possible, just may take you a lot of attempts.
 
The biggest thing about the Sambabus is the rev limit. At full speed, you hit the rev limiter and the bus slows down about 5-6 mph and then revs back up to full speed and then hits the limit and slows down again and does this over and over down the straights loosing a lot of speed.

I had all aids turned off except ABS 1 and could not win until i noticed how much speed I was loosing due to the rev limiter. When the bus would reach the rev limiter, I let off the gas for half a second and the get back on the gas to keep it from hitting the limiter.
 
I had issues with this using the DS3 as well. I got my wheel set up, turned off the ABS and golded it on the first try.

It's possible, but you have to work at it and find where you can take a tighter line and get around those guys any time you have a chance ... and draft like a madman!
 
Just keep at it and you will win it eventually. I don't know how many people beat the Samba bus and Lotus challenges on their first try. It took me a solid week of attempts before I finally beat both challenges and that was a very rewarding feeling.

The 3rd challenge with the Kubblewagon was by far the easiest of the 3 Top Gear challenges. I was able to gold that one on my 2nd attempt.
 
Now that the OP has gotten that close, it makes for good practice meaning it's just a matter of time before getting gold.

Losing=Learning
 
This was a fun but frustrating challenge.
One of my favourite Special Events.
 
I got 3rd on the Samba challenge within 5 attempts, but it took me weeks to finally get gold. It seriously had me questioning my worth as a human being.

OP, did you get to first and lose it in one of the last two corners or did you just run out of track at the end of the race?
 
I also thought the game was mocking me while doing these challenges.
spent 5 or 6 hours doing the first one on the first day I had the game, gave up and came back when I was a better driver, did it on the second try and took first in Chicago on the second lap.

as for the Lotus.....im still working on it.
 
I golded both the VW ones within 2 tries, the key was letting off the gas right before the rev limiter kicks in, then back on, then off, then on, etc so that you keep your speed right around 49-50 and don't fall back down to 45 every 20 seconds.

The Lotus one was infuriating for me, took probably 20 tries, but eventually got used to the braking points and put a good run together.
 
I actually enjoy racing when it is a challenge to win. Unfortunately, most of the "racing" in GT5 isn't racing at all. It is too easy to just overpower the competition for the win. I really wish there was a HP cap for entering races like there was in GT4 or perhaps reduce the winnings if you've out classed your car.

The only events that I have found to be remotely challenging have the the Special Events and the first 2 round of the Seasonal Events.
 
I actually enjoy racing when it is a challenge to win. Unfortunately, most of the "racing" in GT5 isn't racing at all. It is too easy to just overpower the competition for the win. I really wish there was a HP cap for entering races like there was in GT4 or perhaps reduce the winnings if you've out classed your car.

The only events that I have found to be remotely challenging have the the Special Events and the first 2 round of the Seasonal Events.

Lol, seriously? you can't figure out how to make the other races equally as fun?

Here's a tip... 💡 limit yourself 💡 just because you CAN use the X2010 or FGT in a race doesn't mean you have to

Anyway, I found all of the top gear challenges fairly easy and kinda fun, and I consider myself a pretty poor GT5 player. I beat them in the first week or 2 after release, and while I didn't beat any of them on my first try, I definitely didn't spend more than an hour to complete all 3. it's really funny, I often find that what others find hard I beat with ease, and when a race is supposed to be easy I sometimes struggle...
 
Back