This isn't a forum without a cheese thread.

• Thread starter Pupik
  • 103 comments
Boundary Layer
edit:
04033.jpg

:odd: Cheese is always packed in see-through-plastic here, havent seen anything like that before.

OK, I'll clear up some stuff here.

Cheese Whiz is a heavily processed cheese food product that has a very salty, tangy taste to it. It's NOT Velveeta or American Singles. It's used to top veggies, mostly, but can be used as a nacho sauce, although a bad one, IMO. It's thick and goopy and melts very easily and is very runny once melted. It's not real cheese, because of the TANG flavor of this product.

Velveeta is another processed cheese food product, that has a sharper cheddar cheese-like taste to it. It comes in a soft but solid brick form that doesn't need to be refrigerated before opening. It melts smooth, but remains a thick, gooey form which is perfect for nachos. It's very salty, but has a better, less processed taste than Cheese Whiz. It also comes in Singles form.

American Singles is a slightly less processed cheese food product that needs to be refrigerated. It is cheese, but still is processed. It has a light, cheddar and very creamy cheese taste, and doesn't taste as salty as the other mentioned cheeses. It doesn't melt as well as Velveeta, because it's more of a real cheese, but still melts well. It just doesn't flow well once melted. These things taste great, and I still enjoy them and so do my kids. Perfect for grilled cheese sandwiches or quesadillas.

Easy Cheese is Cheese Whiz in a spray can that NEVER needs to refrigerated, even after opening. It is the most processed cheese food product known to man. Not only do people use on crackers, but the military used it in bombs and grenades during WWII. Honest. Very light, to heavy cheddar taste, that depends on what flavor you buy, and is not as salty as the others. Doesn't really taste or feel like real cheese once in your mouth , but it works.

This crap >> http://pds2.egloos.com/pds/1/200511/13/09/b0047409_16282765.jpg (eww!)
is apparently Velveeta, its not deep orange enough in colour, plus it looks too liquid (like a sauce almost), it still should look obviously like its cheese..

WOW I'm amazed at the help I'm getting here! Remember, its pretty damn orange, not yellow really at all.

OK - The actual nachos. However I believe the orangeness of the cheese is too hard to see (and doesn't appear deep enough orange in the pic): http://www.hardrock.com.hk/images/HardRock-HomemadeNachos.jpg

Edit: And according to my mate bill on my MSN, he says:

[00:49:17] <Bill> According to a relative of mine in Michigan "Nacho cheese" is a mix of Velveeta and Monterey Jack mixed at a 2:1 ratio
[00:49:29] <Bill> He reckons that's pretty standard across the states
[00:49:37] <Bill> But he's not sure about Hard Rock in particular

Also, Solid's description of Velveeta sounded very close to what I remember, but obviously its not orange enough, but what is Monterey Jack and more importantly, is it orange?

Edit 2:[00:59:02] <Bill> The Monterey Jack stuff isn't orange, it's almost white
Oh, damn.

It goes on...

Looking at al that processed cheese made me remember the time I was ill in Disney Florida.

Is there anything worse than the smell of warm processed cheese in a burger place?

We have this 24hrs Hungry Jacks (Burger King in the states) down Chapel St... Ewww! My god that place smells rank (they don't have proper extractors on the deep fryers or something), much much worse than any Maccas I've ever been in...

Urrgh (shudders).

James2097
Also, Solid's description of Velveeta sounded very close to what I remember, but obviously its not orange enough, but what is Monterey Jack and more importantly, is it orange?

Edit 2:[00:59:02] <Bill> The Monterey Jack stuff isn't orange, it's almost white
Oh, damn.

It goes on...
Jack that is yellow is called Colby, but it doesn't really melt that well. Maybe if you mix it with something? :confused:

Colby mixed with Velveeta? Would that work?

I'm actually having a hard time thinking that the people at the Hard Rock would bother mixing cheeses just to make some nachos... Surely it must be something more standardised?

you're probably right,

it's probably just some chemical soup that's concocted 2000 miles away, then shipped in to restaurants in 20gal. tubs, placed under a heat lamp, and palm scooped onto your plate by some guy with really hairy knuckles.

sarcasm aside - I'd really doubt its any sort of standard recipe. It's probably produced specifically for the chain of restaurants and is full of articifial flavouring, thats my guess.
But, Kraft and Tostitos both sell different flavours of cheese dips... maybe one of those is close...

edit: something like this
pic_queso.jpg

I see it in the chip aisle at grocery stores here

Cheese is cool. A nice spicy cheddar cheese is a pretty funky and tasty accompliment to a good spicy and tasty beer. Try it. I don't like wine, but good beer and good cheese rocks. Seriously, try it...

KM.

I'd bet that James just had a generic nacho cheese on top of his nachos. That stuff is similar to Velveeta, but has spices in it and remains runny even when cold. It's pretty nasty unless piping hot, and even then should only be eaten at sporting events. I'm telling you man, Velveeta and salsa is the way to go! ;)

EDIT: A HA! Is this what you ate, James?

Attachments

• mmmmnachos.jpg
    mmmmnachos.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 18
That colby was the right colour... I don't think it would be total rubbish sporting event style cheese (its definately a cheese, not a runny liquid - not a dipping cheese like out of a "Le Snak" or anything), cause the Hard Rock nachos were really really good, and its not that cheap (compared to most nachos) in Aus, either.

But yeah, it could easily be a special hard rock recipe thats used in all hard rock cafes around the world... Might not be able to get the exact same thing. Either way, for the love of all that is cheesy, you're allowed to give up guys...

'

Am into some nachos spread w/ Roquefort right now!

But i also have a love of mature cheddars, gouda & edam, emmanthal & brie. A new one i tried recently was Manchego, very sweet, would be good on a pizza.

Not a big cheese man but I do have a pick at it here and there at work. I work at a deli and we sell all kinds of cheese. There's Jarlsberg, all sorts of feta, some weird ones that are vanilla flavoured, peanut flavoured or chocolate flavoured (beats me too, buying chocolate is a lot cheaper and has a better after taste).

Then all other sorts of weird crap only really foreign people buy. I dread it when I have to serve really foreign people (not in a racial way of course) because they usually want the weird stuff nobody else buys so we usually don't have a code for it, or the price for that matter.

danoff
No no. The thread title means that this isn't a proper forum without a cheese thread. Right?

Man that took forever to sink in.

4.5 years of time wasting and 1 minute of searching proves there hasn't been a proper cheese thread in this forum.

Until last Friday.

I'm also a big fan of cheese - of all varieties. I particularly like fresh mozzarella, and sometimes just have it on it's own (with some olive oil and pepper) or as a part of 'tricolore'...

Judging by the comments in this thread, it seems that John Lennon was wrong... The Beatles are not more popular than Cheeses after all... (or atleast I think that's what he said...?)

Touring Mars
Judging by the comments in this thread, it seems that John Lennon was wrong... The Beatles are not more popular than Cheeses after all... (or atleast I think that's what he said...?)
Been watching Kath and Kim?
Kim: Yes it is, it's a statue of little baby cheeses.
Kath: Little baby cheeses? Oh little baby *Jesus*, Kim.

I hate cheese because I love it so much on everything, but it seems to hate me, because everytime I eat it, I don't crap right for weeks. :scared:

oh man, mozzarella, provolone, swiss, mustard cheese...im a cheese man

give me anything but limberger and im happy (doesnt make the lady happy)

This is a very deep dig, I know, but I thought of posting in it a while back because of my fondness for cheeses, but the subject has been discussed in a place where it's not particularly appropriate (as welcome as I think distractions can be at times), and I thought now would be a great time.

The Chinese drink so little milk, that lactose intolerance is extremely common. Cheese might not take so easily.
I understood this to be the case, but I dodn't know how accurate it was.

Cheese would be a good introduction to dairy for the population as the whey separation removes a lot of the lactose. Certain aging processes also further reduce the offending lactose by driving out additional moisture or converting it to calcium lactate (a calcium salt that contains no lactose). As was indicated in the other thread, hard cheeses are ideal, but many washed rind cheeses

As for the topic of cheese, my personal favorites are your bloomy rinds such as Brie de Melun, Camembert, Coulommiers, Brillat-Savarin and Chaource. I also really enjoy veined cheeses like your bleus, Roquefort and Gorgonzola. There aren't many cheeses I don't enjoy, but rubbery knockoffs of genuine articles are often unpleasant. I even enjoy "processed cheese food" in the right circumstances.

I was born and raised in Vermont so I’m a tiny biased on my choices.
I’ll take anything from the Cabot Creamery. I’ve got a 4lb brick of cheddar that’s been cellared for 4 years coming for Christmas. Can’t wait

But hands down my favorite cheese comes from Dakin Farms. I lived just a few miles from this place.
They make a cheddar that they smoke over corn cobs. It’s a taste like nothing else. Tad on the expensive side but really worth it.
I don’t know if I’m allowed to do this but here is the website.
www.dakinfarm.com

As for the topic of cheese, my personal favorites are your bloomy rinds such as Brie de Melun, Camembert, Coulommiers, Brillat-Savarin and Chaource. I also really enjoy veined cheeses like your bleus, Roquefort and Gorgonzola.

These are cheeses that everyone should try on a pizza, with salami or pepperoni. The smellier the cheese the better.

Latest Posts

Back