Thoughts on the license Tests?

• Thread starter durb98
  • 155 comments
I confirm, it's impossible to win gold for me with this tyre...... My car have Slick Hard on the dirt track ..... and i look the Demo and the car have dirt tyres...

GT7 Licence BUUGGGG :((((
Yup, and it's not only with the License tests, it on the Circuit Experience Rally events as well. I skipped them until they fix it.

So I get a knock on the door today and it is my neighbour, "Hey mate you play GT please come and help me before I go insane" lol,
I told him I am not very good and he is better than me but he insisted so being a gent I went to assist how I could,
He is doing Licences and is on IA-8 Tricky Consecutive Corners, he said it is impossible to do the gold time, I said well settle for silver!
He won't he is one of these who will play the same test for a month to get gold if he has to, whatever up to him.

So we took it in turns giving it a go adjusting TC etc and he did one run at 23.785, Gold is 23.400. I couldn't get near I was all 24+ so I bid him farewell and good luck, he asked how far I have got and when I said I have give up and deleted it as it is to difficult for me he said Oh fair enough.

He text me not long back and said he still hasn't done it and he said it is impossible I told him some folk have done it!
His final text was I will give it another go tomorrow and if it is still not done I am deleting it as to hard to lol
He won't he can't accept silver like I could he will keep going.
So can anyone tell me what setup did they have on the car when they got gold on IA-8 Please so I can pass it on.
I have told him sign up here and he said he will look at it but hasn't since GTS.

What is the fallout if I don't finish the license test. I have finished up to International A 1-9 minus the Dirt track test IA-3. I hate the dirt, never race it in any version of GT or Forza. Keep buying GT for the sports car racing and open wheel racing, hate that I can't understand dirt racing yet have to run something I don't like or want in order to progress through the licensing. I have no inclination nor desire to race on the dirt. Love to watch WRC but dirt ain't for me when driving on it.

Ugh!

What is the fallout if I don't finish the license test. I have finished up to International A 1-9 minus the Dirt track test IA-3. I hate the dirt, never race it in any version of GT or Forza. Keep buying GT for the sports car racing and open wheel racing, hate that I can't understand dirt racing yet have to run something I don't like or want in order to progress through the licensing. I have no inclination nor desire to race on the dirt. Love to watch WRC but dirt ain't for me when driving on it.

Ugh!
Same here in each GT I have got to racing on dirt and thought what is the point of this? Then to find it in licence tests was oh here we go no doubt there will be dirt racing in the game to progress yawnnnnn. I would buy Colin Mcrae rallying if I wanted to race on dirt!
Dirt racing is quite easy to master after a little while on it but if like me you don't care about dirt racing and opposite lock and pointing the front end in ages before the turn and burying the gas to slide around etc isn't hard it is just boring when your not a dirt racer.
Give me tarmac and slicks I would be happy.

If you do the licences on just Bronze you can race in any class as you have passed that licence test.

Same here in each GT I have got to racing on dirt and thought what is the point of this? Then to find it in licence tests was oh here we go no doubt there will be dirt racing in the game to progress yawnnnnn. I would buy Colin Mcrae rallying if I wanted to race on dirt!
Dirt racing is quite easy to master after a little while on it but if like me you don't care about dirt racing and opposite lock and pointing the front end in ages before the turn and burying the gas to slide around etc isn't hard it is just boring when your not a dirt racer.
Give me tarmac and slicks I would be happy.

If you do the licences on just Bronze you can race in any class as you have passed that licence test.
I've always enjoyed driving in snow when compared to dirt. IA-3 is about close to hard/impossible to master as the dirt racing license test gives You a car without dirt tires.

Well after golding all license tests I say that they are very unbalanced in difficulty.

For me the hardest were:

3: NSX Suzuka hairpin
2: S10 Porsche at spa
1: super formula at laguna seca

I didn't reach the S license yet (though that Porsche 917k on Spa has me worried, I probably won't even get a bronze on it), but I can say that the IB-5 (when it had bugged tires) and A-10 were absolutely infuriating. Other than that, most were easy to do. Far from annoying like those old GT games.

License tests. Boooooring. So mind numbingly boooooring. I just get through them hopefully in one attempt to get them out of the way.

Ok so you need a licence to race, but the tests are set easy enough that everyone can get a licence, so the point is...?

I didn't reach the S license yet (though that Porsche 917k on Spa has me worried, I probably won't even get a bronze on it), but I can say that the IB-5 (when it had bugged tires) and A-10 were absolutely infuriating. Other than that, most were easy to do. Far from annoying like those old GT games.
The time for s10 is reasonable. You just have to stay on the track, which is the difficult part.

I consider myself a veteran driver, and it took me 150+ tries to do A9 hairpin. I finally figured out that I have to use the e-brake and turn the TC down.
Blitzed through licences at beginning of game, now going for all golds. Just completed gold on a9, 150+ tries also. 3 1hr ish stints at it. Such a pain of a test

I've read a few people saying this, and I'm scratching my head here. A-9, Suzuka hairpin with NSX. Was it really that hard...?
It's reasonably difficult on its own but I think the main issue is people having countersteer assist on and not knowing you need to disable it for that test. You lose like half a second with it turned on, which turns it from hard to nearly impossible. That's why people are using the handbrake and stuff, to counteract the effect of countersteer assist. If they'd just turn it off I think most of them could gold it.

I usually just do the licences and take whatever I get so that the game opens up, then years later I'll go back and gold them. I did three runs of S-10 with the usual view and kept spinning out on the final chicane. Thought a bit about the problem. Fired up the dualshock and used roof cam view. It made that license easy. It makes it so you can see the dry and wet spots from a bit of a birds eye view. On that particular car it's almost like a glorified hood cam. I'll try it with the wheel and roof cam when I decide to gold it.

I readily admit I'm not the most skilful gamer - I play for fun, after all.

But A-10...my best time is 29.010...I need 29, or lower...I can't do it.

I will just move on, I think.

I readily admit I'm not the most skilful gamer - I play for fun, after all.

But A-10...my best time is 29.010...I need 29, or lower...I can't do it.

I will just move on, I think.
You know Mate, after trying & trying You'll achieve Your best time which may be shy from the gold time. But if You're a few thousandths away from getting the gold time, trust me it's the hardest. That's because You've already reached the maximum output & just to claw thousandths is the biggest frustration.

Sometimes I feel as if the game deliberately keeps You away by doing this to frustrate You...lol

You know Mate, after trying & trying You'll achieve Your best time which may be shy from the gold time. But if You're a few thousandths away from getting the gold time, trust me it's the hardest. That's because You've already reached the maximum output & just to claw thousandths is the biggest frustration.

Sometimes I feel as if the game deliberately keeps You away by doing this to frustrate You...lol
I agree!

I think I've reached my peak on this one!

That's what I usually do.
  1. a few tries with brake autopilot to get to know the track
  2. disabling auto brake --> On a few tracks that was already enough for gold.
  3. enabling my own ghost with 0,1 or 0,2s offset
  4. start playing with the remaining options such as brake balance
  5. try to drive a new record on every day I play --> IA10 took me like 5 days this way
I am using the controller with automatic shifting. I know with manual there would be a lot of potential on some tracks.
So far everything gold up to S3 plus S6. Working on the rest.
So it is possible.

Last edited:
I think the ghost system is busted...

My PB on A10 is 29.010 - I deadset crossed the line a quarter car length ahead of of my ghost, and finished with a 29.4...

I can't do this one. It's quite frustrating!
Here is my 2 cents advice, put the ghost 1 second ahead of you. If it's around you you'll just waste concentration over it. 1 second in front will help you focus. Turn off the trajectory / braking cones etc, I personaly never put that stuff on. Find your own line!

I found other license tests or missions or circuit experiences way more difficult than the ones you guys have been talking about. I can remember Catalunya Sector 3 , The Drift missions at Daytona and Tsukuba, the Fuji overtaking challenge and license test IA-8 with the Supra at reverse Autopolis.

No need to play with brake balance to gold anything

Last edited:
Here is my 2 cents advice, put the ghost 1 second ahead of you. If it's around you you'll just waste concentration over it. 1 second in front will help you focus. Turn off the trajectory / braking cones etc, I personaly never put that stuff on. Find your own line!

I found other license tests or missions or circuit experiences way more difficult than the ones you guys have been talking about. I can remember Catalunya Sector 3 , The Drift missions at Daytona and Tsukuba, the Fuji overtaking challenge and license test IA-8 with the Supra at reverse Autopolis.

No need to play with brake balance to gold anything
I have all gold license and I have never touch any brake balance, I use cockpit view with just the information hud.. I agree with you big time, even when the ghost would beat me I still would hit gold because the ghost time was super fast. 💨

@elementary you def can get gold my friend you’re super close.. just adjust maybe your braking a lil bit and you should be good!

I usually just do the licences and take whatever I get so that the game opens up, then years later I'll go back and gold them. I did three runs of S-10 with the usual view and kept spinning out on the final chicane. Thought a bit about the problem. Fired up the dualshock and used roof cam view. It made that license easy. It makes it so you can see the dry and wet spots from a bit of a birds eye view. On that particular car it's almost like a glorified hood cam. I'll try it with the wheel and roof cam when I decide to gold it.
The trouble I had on S10 went away immediately when I turned the ASM on. Before that it would snap oversteer off the track braking into Eau Rouge or going through the kink before Blanchimont, whether I was full throttle or coasting or part throttle... the rear would slide just a tiny bit and then I could never catch it. Put the assist on and wham best time on my friends list by like 2 seconds on the first complete lap. :lol:

I have all gold license and I have never touch any brake balance, I use cockpit view with just the information hud.. I agree with you big time, even when the ghost would beat me I still would hit gold because the ghost time was super fast. 💨

@elementary you def can get gold my friend you’re super close.. just adjust maybe your braking a lil bit and you should be good!
Try to get a Time with 6.2x,xxx on the Nordschleife without BB Change, i think that will be a real challenge.

Turn OFF Brake Areas or others can help some players, but others maybe are better with this Tools, but not all Areas are very good or clever.

Next Tipp from me.. Play with Sound!!!
If the tires are squeaking, your grip is already suffering, so increasing the volume for your own tires can also help here. This is particularly noticeable when braking. With "squeak" the braking distance is longer than without "squeak" but with the highest possible brake pressure.

Back